Start by marking “Aztec Century” as Want to Read:
Aztec Century

Aztec Century

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Britain has fallen to the technological might of the Aztec Empire whose armies have rampaged across the globe. Now, for the first time in a millennium, the British are a subject race.
Inevitably there is resistance - and among those determined to fight the invaders is Princess Catherine, elder daughter of the British monarch. But she is torn between her patriotism and her
Published 1994 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about Aztec Century, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aztec Century

Recommended by a friend, this was my first foray into science fiction. I enjoyed it thoroughly, especially the alternate reality aspect. I am truly saddened that Evans has not written more books than the few he had published in the early 90s and late 80s.
Brilliantly picturesque landscapes and architecture are created and interspersed with the ruins of London, an excellent read with aspects of romance, horror and sci fi expertly woven into one coherent book.
Roddy Williams
In her dreams, Princess Catherine could still see London burning, and the luminous golden warships of her enemies, the Aztecs. as they added yet another conquest to their mighty Empire.

Torn from hiding to take up residence in the new royal court, she struggles to come to terms with the sinister, yet seductive regime of Europe’s new masters – and with her own feelings towards one oppressor in particular – Extepan, heir to the Aztec throne.

Sweeping from occupied Britain to the horrors of the Russi
Nicholas Barone
I'm a sucker for alternative history novels, and this was a good (not great) one. It's set in the 1990s on an alternate earth where Cortes, instead of conquering/destroying the Aztec empire as he did on our world, took an Aztec mistress and decided to side with the Aztecs and help drive off the Spanish. The Aztec empire grows to encompass most of the Americas and by the 20th century its influence is spreading to the rest of the world. The book is told from the point of view of Kate, a princess o ...more
Tony Calder
I picked this up in the $2 bin at a second-hand bookshop, and I'm very glad that I did. It's a great read and certainly deserving of the awards it's won. I have a fondness for alternate history stories, which is what attracted me to this book, but this one is quite different from much of the standard fare in this genre. For a start, the things that happened to make this world come about rather than are own are doled out piece by piece throughout the story, rather than having an exposition early ...more
David R.
The premise of this counterfactual is intriguing: that Cortes switched sides and aided the Aztecs in resisting Spanish encroachment, and by the present day, to conquer most of the world. The story is mostly set in an alternative, occupied Britain and is focused on the captive royal family. However, the alternate history is so-so: details are questionable. The primary story borders on soap opera. And, the ending comes out of nowhere and is exceedingly disappointing.
Daavid marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Nick marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Clay added it
Jul 18, 2015
Vidhya marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Anne Munoz
Anne Munoz marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Salud Garcia
Salud Garcia marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Loisa added it
Mar 21, 2015
Daniel Stephens
Daniel Stephens marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Adriana marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Euclides Cantidiano
Euclides Cantidiano marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Noah Temple
Noah Temple marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Liviu Szoke
Liviu Szoke marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
jtrowe marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Claire Mccroary
Claire Mccroary marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Christopher D. Evans also writes as Christopher Carpenter, Nathan Elliott, Robert Knight and John Lyon.

See authors with similar names.
Christopher D. Evans was born in 1951 in Tredegar and educated at Cardiff University between 1969–1972, and Swansea University 1973–4. He now lives in South London, where he teaches science full-time at a secondary school. His first novel, Capella’s Golden Eyes, was
More about Christopher Evans...
Omega Other Edens Capella's golden eyes Dream Makers: Six Fantasy Artists at Work Other Edens 2