Aztec Century

Aztec Century

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Paperback
Published 1994 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about Aztec Century, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aztec Century

Samantha
Recommended by a friend, this was my first foray into science fiction. I enjoyed it thoroughly, especially the alternate reality aspect. I am truly saddened that Evans has not written more books than the few he had published in the early 90s and late 80s.
Brilliantly picturesque landscapes and architecture are created and interspersed with the ruins of London, an excellent read with aspects of romance, horror and sci fi expertly woven into one coherent book.
Roddy Williams
In her dreams, Princess Catherine could still see London burning, and the luminous golden warships of her enemies, the Aztecs. as they added yet another conquest to their mighty Empire.

Torn from hiding to take up residence in the new royal court, she struggles to come to terms with the sinister, yet seductive regime of Europe’s new masters – and with her own feelings towards one oppressor in particular – Extepan, heir to the Aztec throne.

Sweeping from occupied Britain to the horrors of the Russi...more
Nicholas Barone
I'm a sucker for alternative history novels, and this was a good (not great) one. It's set in the 1990s on an alternate earth where Cortes, instead of conquering/destroying the Aztec empire as he did on our world, took an Aztec mistress and decided to side with the Aztecs and help drive off the Spanish. The Aztec empire grows to encompass most of the Americas and by the 20th century its influence is spreading to the rest of the world. The book is told from the point of view of Kate, a princess o...more
Tony Calder
I picked this up in the $2 bin at a second-hand bookshop, and I'm very glad that I did. It's a great read and certainly deserving of the awards it's won. I have a fondness for alternate history stories, which is what attracted me to this book, but this one is quite different from much of the standard fare in this genre. For a start, the things that happened to make this world come about rather than are own are doled out piece by piece throughout the story, rather than having an exposition early...more
David R.
The premise of this counterfactual is intriguing: that Cortes switched sides and aided the Aztecs in resisting Spanish encroachment, and by the present day, to conquer most of the world. The story is mostly set in an alternative, occupied Britain and is focused on the captive royal family. However, the alternate history is so-so: details are questionable. The primary story borders on soap opera. And, the ending comes out of nowhere and is exceedingly disappointing.
Erica
Erica is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2014
Cameron Frost
Cameron Frost marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Rod Garza
Rod Garza marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Buzz H.
Buzz H. marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Drake
Drake marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Prometeus
Prometeus marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Daniel Daly
Daniel Daly marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Ajyram
Ajyram marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
John Kerr
John Kerr marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Damien
Damien marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Jim Hoff
Jim Hoff marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Tapani
Tapani added it
Oct 19, 2013
Zach
Zach marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2013
Andy Edie
Andy Edie marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
Brilliant Disguise
Brilliant Disguise marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Al Parsons
Al Parsons marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Omega Other Edens Capella's golden eyes Dream Makers: Six Fantasy Artists at Work Other Edens 2