Start by marking “The Rock Rats (Asteroid Wars, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Rock Rats (Asteroid Wars, #2)

The Rock Rats (The Asteroid Wars #2)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  793 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Visionary Dan Randolph is dead, but his protégé, pilot Pancho Barnes, sits on the board of his conglomerate. Randolph's rival Martin Humphries wants to control Astro and drive independent asteroid miners like Lars Fuchs out of business. Humphries wants revenge against Pancho, and flame Amanda, now wife to Lars. Many will die. Many will thrive.
Published June 16th 2003 by Tor Science Fiction (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Rock Rats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rock Rats

Emanuel Landeholm
This is not a solid scifi-work. Just look at the cast. All the relevant women are Venuses and the men are ruggedly handsome. The Venuses and the ruggedly handsomes have fantastic sex. Venuses ask "but why?", and ruggedly handsomes tell us what we already figured out. That is Bova's entire repertoire right there.

Well, I did finish the book. There's actually more to the book than Venuses and ruggedly handsomes, you just have to keep on reading... A bit of interesting politics / space opera in ther
Andreas
Part two of the Asteroid Wars. I used to keep coming back to Bova and his Grand Tour of the Solar System. Maybe I’m just a sucker for near future tales of men and women trying to tame the solar system. This book made me stop. It is just plain boring. Amanda may be beautiful but she and the other characters feel about as emotional as puppets. Furthermore, I simply don’t buy the story. After slogging through about half the book, I gave up.

Weez
Prospectors, espionage, pirates, space battles...oh, and Amanda. This would have gotten a higher rating from me except for one single character. She is described as both beautiful and intelligent but she certainly doesn't behave like an intelligent woman. The character of Amanda is a goop. She marries a guy she isn't that crazy about just to avoid another man's affections. She desperately wants to return home but she lives in shabby conditions on Ceres for years to please her husband. When he ev ...more
Mark Edlund
Formulaic, cardboard characters and I am sure that several laws of physics are broken during the space "battles" Second book of a series. Liked the post-green house collapse of Earth but the characters left me uninvolved.
Devon
Good Stuff: It's near-future SF. I'm a sucker for near-future SF. The conflict between characters takes center stage, personal motives are clear. The asteroid belt is an enormous wealth of resources, but this setting doesn't get enough attention in space SF. Good on Bova for that. The last quarter of the book is much better than the rest, enough to bring it up to a 2-star performance overall. Barely.

Bad Stuff: For the first three quarters of the story, the main characters are shallow, stupid and
Dark-Draco
Lars and Amanda Fuchs are barely surviving as prospecters in the Asteroid belt, but they want a better life for themselves and their fellow Rock Rats. They begin to build a habitat and open a supply depot, and they are a moderate success. But Humphries doesn't like this as it drastically interferes with his plans to rule the belt himself. He hires assassins to prey on the independant contractors and soon piracy is a common occurance. When Lars gets no help from the authorities, he takes matters ...more
Sean
It's been several years since Dan Randolph died on the first voyage to the Asteroid belt in the first fusion powered spaceship. And it's up to the rest of his crew to carry on his vision. Pancho Lane, pilot and astronaut, now sits on Astro Corp's board as Randolph's heir, leading the charge to build a station around Jupiter. Lars and Amanda Fuchs have their own small business, selling equipment to the Rock Rats, those who mine the asteroids, and helping them build a government. But all isn't wel ...more
Charlotte
Wish I had known it was part of a serial. Didn't miss not knowing earlier books, but now stuck in following furter books in series.

Story by itself stands alone with an openend downer ending - which is typical of a series -- but I confess to almost giving up on the story when I saw where it was heading toward a crappy ending, but came back to it after I cooled down and the writing was good throughout. I read this book on recommendation, but I should have been informed it was part of series, as I
Steve
I liked this one except a Charter from the previous book acted totally out of charater compared to the first book . It was annoying but I still liked this book .
George
Another Sci-fi mixed with political intrigue. Don't want to give away the ending, but all the bad guys prospered and the good guys stayed neutral and (mostly) alive. C'mon! Oh, now I get it. There's a sequel.
Abbey
The Asteroid Wars in a series by Ben Bova, one of the four sci fi writers I read most often: Bova, Bear, Benford, and Banks. I think Bova indulges in too much melodrama, but he's also very good at providing plausible (sometimes barely plausible) explanations on how humanity overcomes the distances of space, creates artificial gravity, alleviates loneliness, lives in a dreary tin can without going mad, sends communications across light-years of distance, dispenses justice in a vacuum of law and a ...more
Rique Nash
This book is pretty good.
Ned Leffingwell
Ben Bova writes enjoyable, character driven hard sci-fi. This is the grimmest of his books that I have read so far. Most of his other stories have focused on exploration. This one focused on the lengths that people will go to get what they want. I think that this book has one of the best examples of how space combat might actually work. I did read the book "Venus" before reading this one. It has the same characters but takes place at a later time so there were some things in the story that were ...more
Michelle Stone
I love Ben Bova's books. This was no exception. The rock rats mine the asteroid belt for valuable metals to quench humanity's never ending hunger for the stuff. Politics and some attention to real science made the story very interesting to me. Bova's politics seemed slightly petty at times, or so I thought when I originally read the series. I couldn't say that now. I think he was prophetic in that regard.

I've always wanted to travel to space. This book took me as close as I'll ever get.
Gene Sheppard
This book is typical Bova and a good read with exceptional characters and world building. The future world he creates is believable and your disbelief is easily suspended.

I still have heartburn over Bova lending credence to _climate change_ all four of the Asteroid War novels.
I recommend all of the Asteroid War novels.
Samantha
A definite improvement from the first book, "The Precipice". The world and characters were more flushed out. Enjoyed the kind of cowboy feel to the asteroid mining. Seems though that the series has lost the urgency of the dwindling earth.
Austin Unseld
This book is a continuation of the Precipice. The rock rats continue to fight for their independence in the asteroid belt. HSS fights to form a monopoly in the asteroid belt. Humphreys is fought by Astro Corporation and Lars Fuchs.
Fredrick Danysh
Lars Fuchs is newly married and sets off with his bride to prospect the astroids. But he has problems. A rich man wants to control astroid mining and wants his wife. Plus his wife is not happy living as a prospector.
Crusader
Not as good as the first novel in the series since you are basically accustomed to the ideas introduced. The action does pick up though with realistic space battles (due to piracy) being the main focus.
Rob Roy
An exploration of the nature of revenge and lust for power. As always, Ben Bova's characters are real people for whom you care about, even to an extent the villains.
Paul Cherubino
The second in a series of books dealing with earth after our blue marble falls off the "greenhouse cliff". It's good, competent speculative fiction.
Paddythemic
ben bova brings utter realism and page turning wonder to the table once again with this second part to the asteroid wars quadrilogy.
Falbs
Interesting read, but many of the characters are just a bit too over the top. It does make me want to get the sequel however...
Doc Kinne
This was a step up in quality. I'm not sure what Bova did, but the scope was grander, and the stakes seemed higher. Nicely done!
Chad Parker
Didn't realize this was a sequel until partway through. Characters were two dimensional, but story was reasonably interesting.
Chris
The sequel to The Precipice. Mining the Asteroid Belt.
Ray
not too bad, but a step down from the first book.
Randy
book two in the asteroid wars.
Drew
Sometimes you can't just be left alone
Kirth Gerson
Kirth Gerson marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
  • The Infinite Sea (Chaos Chronicles, #3)
  • The Dog From Hell (Star Risk, #4)
  • Mariposa
  • The Voyage
  • Galactic Bounty (Sam McCade, #1)
  • Choosing Names: Man-Kzin Wars 8 (Man-Kzin Wars, #8)
  • The Silent Warrior (Forever Hero, #2)
  • The Martian Race
  • The Candle of Distant Earth
  • Probability Space (Probability, #3)
  • Titan (NASA Trilogy, #2)
  • Star Strike (Inheritance Trilogy, #1)
  • Overthrowing Heaven (Jon & Lobo, #3)
  • Starhawk (The Academy, #7)
  • Command Performance
  • The New Space Opera
  • Against the Wind (Elfquest: The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #4)
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo
More about Ben Bova...

The Asteroid Wars (4 books)
  • The Precipice (Asteroid Wars, #1)
  • The Silent War (Asteroid Wars, #3)
  • The Aftermath (Asteroid Wars, #4)
Mars The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2A Jupiter Venus Return to Mars