Start by marking “The Rock Rats (Asteroid Wars, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Rock Rats (Asteroid Wars, #2)

The Rock Rats (The Asteroid Wars #2)

Visionary Dan Randolph is dead, but his protégé, pilot Pancho Barnes, sits on the board of his conglomerate. Randolph's rival Martin Humphries wants to control Astro and drive independent asteroid miners like Lars Fuchs out of business. Humphries wants revenge against Pancho, and flame Amanda, now wife to Lars. Many will die. Many will thrive.
Published June 16th 2003 by Tor Science Fiction (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Rock Rats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rock Rats

Emanuel Landeholm
Dec 17, 2014 Emanuel Landeholm rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-sff
This is not a solid scifi-work. Just look at the cast. All the relevant women are Venuses and the men are ruggedly handsome. The Venuses and the ruggedly handsomes have fantastic sex. Venuses ask "but why?", and ruggedly handsomes tell us what we already figured out. That is Bova's entire repertoire right there.

Well, I did finish the book. There's actually more to the book than Venuses and ruggedly handsomes, you just have to keep on reading... A bit of interesting politics / space opera in ther
Andreas
Mar 25, 2011 Andreas rated it did not like it
Part two of the Asteroid Wars. I used to keep coming back to Bova and his Grand Tour of the Solar System. Maybe I’m just a sucker for near future tales of men and women trying to tame the solar system. This book made me stop. It is just plain boring. Amanda may be beautiful but she and the other characters feel about as emotional as puppets. Furthermore, I simply don’t buy the story. After slogging through about half the book, I gave up.

Weez
Mar 26, 2014 Weez rated it liked it
Prospectors, espionage, pirates, space battles...oh, and Amanda. This would have gotten a higher rating from me except for one single character. She is described as both beautiful and intelligent but she certainly doesn't behave like an intelligent woman. The character of Amanda is a goop. She marries a guy she isn't that crazy about just to avoid another man's affections. She desperately wants to return home but she lives in shabby conditions on Ceres for years to please her husband. When he ev ...more
Mark Edlund
Mar 28, 2012 Mark Edlund rated it did not like it
Formulaic, cardboard characters and I am sure that several laws of physics are broken during the space "battles" Second book of a series. Liked the post-green house collapse of Earth but the characters left me uninvolved.
Devon
May 20, 2013 Devon rated it it was ok
Good Stuff: It's near-future SF. I'm a sucker for near-future SF. The conflict between characters takes center stage, personal motives are clear. The asteroid belt is an enormous wealth of resources, but this setting doesn't get enough attention in space SF. Good on Bova for that. The last quarter of the book is much better than the rest, enough to bring it up to a 2-star performance overall. Barely.

Bad Stuff: For the first three quarters of the story, the main characters are shallow, stupid and
Dark-Draco
Apr 04, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lars and Amanda Fuchs are barely surviving as prospecters in the Asteroid belt, but they want a better life for themselves and their fellow Rock Rats. They begin to build a habitat and open a supply depot, and they are a moderate success. But Humphries doesn't like this as it drastically interferes with his plans to rule the belt himself. He hires assassins to prey on the independant contractors and soon piracy is a common occurance. When Lars gets no help from the authorities, he takes matters ...more
Sean
Dec 19, 2013 Sean rated it did not like it
It's been several years since Dan Randolph died on the first voyage to the Asteroid belt in the first fusion powered spaceship. And it's up to the rest of his crew to carry on his vision. Pancho Lane, pilot and astronaut, now sits on Astro Corp's board as Randolph's heir, leading the charge to build a station around Jupiter. Lars and Amanda Fuchs have their own small business, selling equipment to the Rock Rats, those who mine the asteroids, and helping them build a government. But all isn't wel ...more
Mike
Jan 17, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid Ben Bova book. The Grand Tour series books can be read each on their own or in order.
The story in this will stand by itself just fine. If you have read the ones previous to this you will know a few of the names ahead of time but it is not needed to understand the plot. I would recommend reading them in order but it is not required to follow the history here.
Charlotte
May 18, 2012 Charlotte rated it really liked it
Wish I had known it was part of a serial. Didn't miss not knowing earlier books, but now stuck in following furter books in series.

Story by itself stands alone with an openend downer ending - which is typical of a series -- but I confess to almost giving up on the story when I saw where it was heading toward a crappy ending, but came back to it after I cooled down and the writing was good throughout. I read this book on recommendation, but I should have been informed it was part of series, as I
Steve
Nov 01, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: grand-tour
I liked this one except a Charter from the previous book acted totally out of charater compared to the first book . It was annoying but I still liked this book .
George
Aug 25, 2014 George rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
Another Sci-fi mixed with political intrigue. Don't want to give away the ending, but all the bad guys prospered and the good guys stayed neutral and (mostly) alive. C'mon! Oh, now I get it. There's a sequel.
Abbey
Sep 20, 2008 Abbey rated it it was amazing
The Asteroid Wars in a series by Ben Bova, one of the four sci fi writers I read most often: Bova, Bear, Benford, and Banks. I think Bova indulges in too much melodrama, but he's also very good at providing plausible (sometimes barely plausible) explanations on how humanity overcomes the distances of space, creates artificial gravity, alleviates loneliness, lives in a dreary tin can without going mad, sends communications across light-years of distance, dispenses justice in a vacuum of law and a ...more
Rique Nash
Mar 15, 2014 Rique Nash rated it it was amazing
This book is pretty good.
Ned Leffingwell
Sep 19, 2012 Ned Leffingwell rated it really liked it
Ben Bova writes enjoyable, character driven hard sci-fi. This is the grimmest of his books that I have read so far. Most of his other stories have focused on exploration. This one focused on the lengths that people will go to get what they want. I think that this book has one of the best examples of how space combat might actually work. I did read the book "Venus" before reading this one. It has the same characters but takes place at a later time so there were some things in the story that were ...more
Michelle Stone
Feb 21, 2012 Michelle Stone rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I love Ben Bova's books. This was no exception. The rock rats mine the asteroid belt for valuable metals to quench humanity's never ending hunger for the stuff. Politics and some attention to real science made the story very interesting to me. Bova's politics seemed slightly petty at times, or so I thought when I originally read the series. I couldn't say that now. I think he was prophetic in that regard.

I've always wanted to travel to space. This book took me as close as I'll ever get.
Gene Sheppard
Mar 06, 2013 Gene Sheppard rated it really liked it
This book is typical Bova and a good read with exceptional characters and world building. The future world he creates is believable and your disbelief is easily suspended.

I still have heartburn over Bova lending credence to _climate change_ all four of the Asteroid War novels.
I recommend all of the Asteroid War novels.
Samantha
May 16, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
A definite improvement from the first book, "The Precipice". The world and characters were more flushed out. Enjoyed the kind of cowboy feel to the asteroid mining. Seems though that the series has lost the urgency of the dwindling earth.
Austin Unseld
This book is a continuation of the Precipice. The rock rats continue to fight for their independence in the asteroid belt. HSS fights to form a monopoly in the asteroid belt. Humphreys is fought by Astro Corporation and Lars Fuchs.
Fredrick Danysh
Lars Fuchs is newly married and sets off with his bride to prospect the astroids. But he has problems. A rich man wants to control astroid mining and wants his wife. Plus his wife is not happy living as a prospector.
Crusader
Feb 11, 2011 Crusader rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2011-read
Not as good as the first novel in the series since you are basically accustomed to the ideas introduced. The action does pick up though with realistic space battles (due to piracy) being the main focus.
Rob Roy
Aug 24, 2009 Rob Roy rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
An exploration of the nature of revenge and lust for power. As always, Ben Bova's characters are real people for whom you care about, even to an extent the villains.
Paul Wilson
Jan 11, 2009 Paul Wilson rated it liked it
The second in a series of books dealing with earth after our blue marble falls off the "greenhouse cliff". It's good, competent speculative fiction.
Paddythemic
Aug 26, 2012 Paddythemic rated it it was amazing
ben bova brings utter realism and page turning wonder to the table once again with this second part to the asteroid wars quadrilogy.
Falbs
Nov 05, 2012 Falbs rated it really liked it
Interesting read, but many of the characters are just a bit too over the top. It does make me want to get the sequel however...
Doc Kinne
Jul 27, 2012 Doc Kinne rated it really liked it
This was a step up in quality. I'm not sure what Bova did, but the scope was grander, and the stakes seemed higher. Nicely done!
Chad Parker
Nov 14, 2013 Chad Parker rated it it was ok
Didn't realize this was a sequel until partway through. Characters were two dimensional, but story was reasonably interesting.
Chris
Jun 21, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The sequel to The Precipice. Mining the Asteroid Belt.
Ray
Nov 11, 2012 Ray rated it liked it
not too bad, but a step down from the first book.
Randy
Jul 20, 2009 Randy rated it it was amazing
book two in the asteroid wars.
Drew
Sep 02, 2010 Drew rated it really liked it
Sometimes you can't just be left alone
  • The Dog From Hell (Star Risk, #4)
  • Mariposa
  • The Infinite Sea (Chaos Chronicles, #3)
  • The Voyage
  • Choosing Names (Man-Kzin Wars, #8)
  • Titan (NASA Trilogy, #2)
  • On Basilisk Station/Flag in Exile
  • Overthrowing Heaven (Jon & Lobo, #3)
  • Sundowner (Nicole Shea, #3)
  • Probability Space (Probability, #3)
  • Galactic Bounty (Sam McCade, #1)
  • Catch the Lightning (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #2)
  • The Silent Warrior (Forever Hero, #2)
  • The Candle of Distant Earth
  • Star Strike (Inheritance Trilogy, #1)
  • The Martian Race (Adventures of Viktor & Julia, #1)
  • Retief and the Pangalactic Pageant of Pulchritude (Retief, #14.5)
  • The New Space Opera
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo
More about Ben Bova...

The Asteroid Wars (4 books)
  • The Precipice (Asteroid Wars, #1)
  • The Silent War (Asteroid Wars, #3)
  • The Aftermath (Asteroid Wars, #4)