Start by marking “Hurricane” as Want to Read:
Hurricane

Hurricane

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  38 reviews
outside, the wind is howling.
it is a monster shrieking to get inside.
outside, the rain is a solid wall of water.
everything is dark.
everything is destroyed.
everything is gone....

Everything except for the desperate courage of those who survive that terrifying night. After hours of cowering in the dark with no lights, no warmth, and the terrible noises of the rain and wind
Published February 26th 2008 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hurricane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hurricane

Gone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniA Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
Seasons and Weather in Titles
428th out of 534 books — 64 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinBridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonEast of Eden by John SteinbeckSpeak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Trees on Covers
338th out of 506 books — 108 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

With HURRICANE, author Terry Trueman brings to life in vivid detail the almost complete devastation of 1998's Hurricane Mitch on Honduras.

In the tiny village of La Rupa, there are only a handful of homes. One of those, at one end of town, is the house of Jose and his family: his mother and father, older brother and sister Victor and Ruby, and younger siblings Maria, Angela, and Juan. There is also their dog, Berti, who can sometimes be persuaded to do more tha
Tanthonycaotran
I wanted to read this book because it seems to have a suspense scene in it. The title picture also looks cool; so it fits the story. It is a Historical-Fiction genre. This is a really short book (134 pages), but it really draws the reader into the horrors experienced by those who survived Hurricane Mitch's havoc.

Jose Cruz is a thirteen-year-old boy is living in Honduras in 1998. Everything seems to be going well for Jose and his small family living in a remote village. Jose's biggest concern i
Ansha D
Emily Gebhardt
This book was the kind of book that you wouldn't want to put down. In fact I read it in one night it was so catchy and cliff hangery. Josè the main character lives with his five siblings, two parents and on dog named Berti. Everything is great for the family. Living in Honduras can be hard at times but they always manage to come through. Then one night hurricane Mitch comes and destroys Honduras and the little town of La Rupa. Josè's father, sister and brother get separated form the rest of the ...more
Terry
Apr 01, 2008 Terry rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: libraries
Jose Cruz and his family live in La Rupa, Honduras. As the story opens, Jose is helping his brother Victor take apart an old, over-sized barbeque. It gives him the chance to introduce us to the eleven families who comprise the pueblo and talk about the place they call home.

When we jump six months ahead, a heavy storm is bearing down on La Rupa, and it isn't until the next morning that the residents learn that the violent storm was Hurricane Mitch. With Jose as our guide, we begin to assess the d
Aaron
Everything seems to be going well for José and his small family living in a remote village in Hondorus in 1998. José's biggest concern is worrying about whether he can squeeze in some time to play soccer. The good times all change as Hurricane Mitch comes blowing through, causing a massive mudslide that buries almost the whole village. The only two houses still standing are the one he shares with his family and a jury-rigged hut on the other side of the village.

Thirteen-year-old José is forced t
Susan
This short novel (134 pages) makes a powerful punch, as 13-year-old Jose Cruz is forced to grow up fast and take charge after Hurricane Mitch slams his pueblo in Honduras. With his father and older brother missing, Jose must lead the rescue effort for survivors of his small town of 50-some people. In this first person narrative, he struggles to come to terms with his emotions as he finds dead bodies, worries about the lack of food and fresh water for survivors, and anguishes over his unaccounted ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This story takes place in Honduras during Hurricane Mitch, a category 5 hurricane that wreaked havoc throughout the Caribbean in 1998. Jose lives with his family in a small (10 families) inland village. The hurricane strikes while Jose's father, brother Victor, and sister Ruby, are away. A mudslide wipes out all the houses in the village except for Jose's and another. Jose, a teenager, finds himself having to "be the man" even though he doesn't feel ready for the role, as he helps with rescue ef ...more
Jackie
Hurricane is a fictionalized account of the massive storm that hit the Honduras in March of 1998. Hurricane Mitch devastates the small barrio of La Rupa, destroying nearly all the houses, except two, and killing many of the residents. Jose Cruz, 13, with his quiet leadership, helps the town come to grips with the devastation and searches for food, shelter, and lost love ones.

Stevecrandell
This novel is a very quick and eye-opening read. It’s based on a real-life disaster, Hurricane Mitch, which killed thousands of people in Central America in 1998.

Just as in real-life disasters halfway around the world, for me, the people who die in this story register more as statistics than flesh and blood. 13-year-old José survives the disaster, and shares plenty of names of now-dead neighbors from his devastated village, along with glimpses of what they meant to him. But his own post-disaste
Candielouhoo
A young boy forced to become somewhat of a man before he is ready. However he lives up to the task and "grows up" as the situation around him demands action. The worst natural disaster that Honduras has seen in 200, (since George Washington was president) has changed life as he knows it and made everything around him a challenge. Family, friends and responsibilities drive each step and action. Death, destruction and illness everywhere but still there is hope.

I found it a good story but bits wer
Deborah
Jose lives in a small town, La Rupa, in Honduras. He comes from a close knit family - he idolizes his older brother Victor. La Rupa is also a close town. Jose knows all the residents and their homes. Then news of Hurricane Mitch comes, but surely it won't affect La Rupa - they are too far inland, right? Jose's dad, brother, and sister are out of town when the hurricane hits. It is devastating to much of Honduras. Jose doesn't know if his father, brother, and sister are okay, but he doesn't have ...more
Lm
This was a fantastic, gripping book on a topic of great interest to the intended audience: severe weather and natural disasters. The tone and details are accurately reflective of the severity of the disaster and the depth of the emotions felt by Jose, while staying appropriate for the intended young audience. Readers will really earn an appreciation for what it is like to live through this type of weather event, as well as for the culture of rural Honduras. The scene where Jose is approached by ...more
Robin
In Hurricane, Trueman gives an emotional and detailed view of a small Honduran town that is destroyed in Hurricane Mitch. The main character, Jose, transitions from being a thirteen year old boy, who just wants to get out and play soccer with his friends, to a respected and valued member of his community as a result of his action during and after the storm.

This book is very different from others by Trueman. Still, I know quite a few 6th and 7th graders who will pick it up because they loved Stuc
Christina
A story of the aftermath of a hurricane: Jose lives in Honduras, in a small village where he knows every resident by name, and he plays soccer on the streets with neighboring kids. But when Hurricane Mitch roars through and causes a mudslide to bury his town, he and his family are thrust into a dangerous situation. Half of his family is separated from him and he doesn't even know if they're alive--and there are untold numbers of people buried under mud and debris. How will they survive and can t ...more
Cheryl
Reading this novel which was a fictionalized story of a family dealing with Hurricane Mitch and its aftermath of mudslides in Honduras made me more aware of what people really deal with. I have thought how tragic these natural distasters are. Now, I understand a whole lot more about the many repurcussions. I will have a greater understanding of what exactly people are dealing with and be more prepared to step and give more than my sympathy! Very easy and quick read, but very insightful.
Marie C
Hurricane is a great book.Hurricane is about bravery,and trust.This book is about a family of 6, but on that wet muddy night in La Rupa everything changed.There was 4 children and the parents.But that night what happens to the dad and two of the children?Will the whole neighborhood survive?What i liked about this book is its all about trust,and bravery.What i didn't like was that after every chapter they let me wanting more.I recommend this book to people who like mystery and bravery.
Liz B
This is no Stuck in Neutral, stylistically or thematically, but it's still a great book club book. It's a powerful look at the aftermath of disaster in a place that is not> (gasp) the United States. The ending was a bit too rosy, but I guess I'm ok with that since it makes it more middle grade than YA.
Aimee (528491)
Here's something that's kinda weird:
I got a book called "Swallowing the Sun" by Terry Trueman. It was about a hurricane in 1998.
I looked it up on goodreads to put it on my "to-read list", but couldn't find it. Next I tried Terry Trueman and I found this book... about a hurricane in 1998. So, really, I'll be reading "Swallowing the Sun" but this was the closest I could get in Goodeads.
Vicki Sherbert
This is a fictional account of one family's survival of Hurricane Mitch in Honduras in 1998. I read the book in one sitting, and was completely involved in the story. Reading about the devastating effect of a hurricane (as well as the quite message about deforestation)on a small village made me think about all that I take for granted. Great book that I'm going to recommend to our librarian.
Brynn
This book does well creating a story around a young, teenage Honduran boy living through the devastation of Hurricane Mitch. It is a short novel that creates a picture of a largely poor nation that can appeal to young teens because of the authenticity of the voice, but also teach them about the reality of another culture.
Sherry
Hurricane is a quick little read, just right for the middle school adventure reader. José is forever changed when Hurricane Mitch slams into his tiny village in Honduras and he is faced with helping his family and neighbors survive, all the while worrying about the fate of his father, brother, and sister.
Katherine
About the aftermath of Hurricane Mitch in Honduras in 1998, Trueman wrote this book before Katrina but just had it published in 2008. This is really about the devastation of a small town and how one boy found the courage to help his family and neighbors get through the aftermath of total loss.

Jul 24, 2013 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young readers
This book is an easy read and is clearly written for a younger audience but it had a good story to it and still drew me in. It was hard at times to get past the choppier language due to the simple wording but I knew to expect that when I picked up the book so that's due to my own doing.
Jan
Book for readers who are working to improve their fluency. It is geared for YA. It tells the story of one boy and his family and village during Hurricane Mitch. The accessible vocabulary and realistic story make it a great read for many teens.
Ragan
This is a good short read. Would be an excellent book for teachers to use to teach about natural disasters. Not very graphic, but still gets the point across, which is also good. I also thought the afterward had some good info and points.
Stephanie Sesic
This is a fictional account of the devastation caused by Hurricane Mitch in a small pueblo in Honduras. Written for younger teens, it's short and only slightly harrowing, with a happy ending that isn't entirely believable under the circumstances.
Abby Johnson
Thirteen-year-old Jose has to take charge when Hurricane Mitch destroys his village while his father and older siblings are doing business in the next town. Great for middle grade readers who like adventure and stories about natural disasters.
Alex
Apr 07, 2008 Alex rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: youth
Based on the very real Hurricane Mitch that devastated Honduras in 1998, Trueman gives life to a boy named Jose to give a touching first hand encounter with the powerful storm and the disastrous aftermath. Coming of age...
Jonene
Great insight into Hurricane Mitch, a category 5 storm, that hit Honduras in 1998. It was from the perspective of a young teenage boy. I really enjoyed it and finished it in 2 hours. Couldn't put it down.
  • Vanishing Acts
  • Cold Case
  • Pieces of Georgia
  • Dead-End Job
  • Little Audrey
  • Snatched (Bloodwater Mysteries, #1)
  • The Journey That Saved Curious George: The True Wartime Escape of Margret and H.A. Rey
  • Wolf Rider