In Her Own Right: The Life of Elizabeth Cady Stanton

In Her Own Right: The Life of Elizabeth Cady Stanton

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The first comprehensive, fully documented biography of the most important woman suffragist and feminist reformer in nineteenth-century America, In Her Own Right restores Elizabeth Cady Stanton to her true place in history. Griffith emphasizes the significance of role models and female friendships in Stanton's progress toward personal and political independence. In Her Own...more
Published November 21st 1985 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published September 13th 1984)

A Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary WollstonecraftA Room of One's Own by Virginia WoolfThe Life of Charlotte Brontë by Elizabeth GaskellThe Subjection of Women by John Stuart MillStory of My Life by George Sand
Early Feminists
22nd out of 71 books — 22 voters
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish by Douglas AdamsThe Hunt for Red October by Tom ClancyThe Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan KunderaNeuromancer by William GibsonEmpire of the Sun by J.G. Ballard
Best Books of 1984
68th out of 96 books — 58 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda Rose
A perfectly adequate account of the life of ECS, although there were several factors that made it unsatisfying to me. The major one is that it largely fails to properly detail what in our time is ECS's most controversial period, her opposition to the 14/15th Amendments. This is such an important issue and such a complex one you really need to take a show, don't tell approach to her rhetoric, many more direct quotes required for the reader to really get a sense of the context of her views and the...more
Amy
Two things struck me especially hard in this book. First, Elizabeth Cady Stanton first became interested in the rights of women she was she overwhelmed by the domestic duties that consumed the lives of women. While much has changed since then, I think the responsibilities of home and children continue to keep many women from reading and thinking as much as they would like. Second, toward the end of her life, Stanton made her most compelling case for equal treatment for women. That we are, in ess...more
Sheryl
A decent biography, wonderful subject.
Marcia
A fascinating, complex woman who deserves to be treated more completely by history. This book bogged down toward the end....she and Susan Anthony seemed to have argued about virtually everything, but neother was willing to "give".
In spite of that, they remained friends until the end...and neither saw the day when women could vote. I want a rest from this topic for awhile, but would like to read the book Sisters,which is about their relationship.
Melissa
So, here's the thing. I liked the book a lot--thought it did a great job of capturing the complexity of Stanton. Definitely a must-read for anyone interested in the history of the women's suffrage movement.
However, it wasn't one of those biographies that captured my imagination. It was one of those books that I didn't feel pulled back to--and it shows in how long it took me to finish it!
Sue
Mar 09, 2008 Sue rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: history
This is my favorite biography of Elizabeth Cady Stanton. In my opinion it captures the flaws and the strengths of her character, instead of merely reeling off all her accomplishments. This book reads like a novel and when I've suggested it to students, I've found that they enjoy it. Much of the Ken Burns documentary on Stanton & Anthony draws on this book.
Jodi Meadows
This book has had a tremendous impact on me. As a mother of four, I can relate to her well expressed feelings of being trapped and isolated, especially when the children were young. Her writing has prompted me to examine some of my own ideas about the division of labor in the home and child rearing. Although she was certainly not perfect, she was brave.
Kate
Informative, readable, and psychologically useful to me at this moment in my life. Filled in gaps in my limited knowledge of the 19th century feminist movement in America. Very glad someone left this book in the path of the friend who gave it to me.
Elise
I picked this up in hopes of learning more about Elizabeth Cady Stanton after reading Not for Ourselves Alone. A wonderful review of her life and a good reminder of the humanity of all strong historical figures.
Patrick
Pretty good biography, which I picked up at the National Women's History Museum (run by the National Park Service) in Elizabeth Cady Stanton's hometown of Seneca Falls, NY.
Lesley
Very interesting read, the author takes a different approach by viewing the psychological aspects of Cady Stanton however doesn't entirely prove her thesis.
Rosanne Cedroni
Jan 22, 2011 Rosanne Cedroni marked it as to-read
This book was mentioned by Ken Burns in the introduction of his book about Stanton and Anthony - it sounds good!
Cheryl
Fascinating book about an extraordinary woman in her time.
Jocie
fascinating story about my relative!
Stef
Stef marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
K.O.
K.O. marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Hermione Brandt
Hermione Brandt marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Alesia
Alesia marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Marilyn Bauchat
Marilyn Bauchat marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Greener
Greener marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Molly
Molly is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
David Meek
David Meek marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014