Start by marking “The Window at the White Cat” as Want to Read:
The Window at the White Cat

The Window at the White Cat

Finally, after knocking over an ornament that shattered on the hearth and sounded like the crash of doom, I found on the mantel a heavy brass candlestick, and with it in my hand I stepped into the gloom of the hallway and felt my way to the stairs.
Published June 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published December 1910)

To ask other readers questions about The Window at the White Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Window at the White Cat

Julie Davis
Relistening - it is just as delightful this time around.

=========

#59 - 2010.

Picked this up from LibriVox and I recommend it highly for the narrration by Robert Keiper which is pure delight. His introduction reads:
When a clumsy, well-meaning lawyer gets involved with a pair of delightful old maids and a beautiful girl, he must acquire some of the skills of his friends the detective and the newspaperman to solve the puzzle of The White Cat. That’s the name of a back-street political club serving b
Bookworm
Aug 20, 2016 Bookworm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spendid. Mr Jack Knox, attorney at law, falls for the beautiful young girl who walks into his office and enlists his help to find her missing father, Mr. Flemming-a polititian. But not being a detective, he also asks for the help of the detective force, and the newspaper reporters.
But the case of a simple disapearance takes on a more serious turn when Mr Flemming is murdered, his spinster sister in-law disappears, valuable pears are stolen, and Miss Flemming's fiance may just possibly be guilt
Dave Law
Aug 21, 2011 Dave Law rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say I have become a major fan of Mary Roberts Rinehart books. Though she has been called the American Agatha Christie, I don't think this does her justice. With Agatha Christie, whom I have read and enjoyed, I find the mystery is the core of her stories, whereas with Mary Rinehart the people and psychological element are the core whether she is writing a mystery, romance or drama. In this case the story is a mystery told from the prospective of a lawyer that gets involved in it whom sh ...more
Michele
Jan 15, 2014 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and will DEFINITELY be reading more of Ms. Rinehart's books. Refreshing to read a book from this time period that was actually written in this time period.....all details were totally correct and no chance of historical inaccuracies, as the author only knew her own time period.
Pat Scott
Feb 14, 2014 Pat Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
They don't write like this anymore - unfortunately

today's authors think sex and and blood and convoluted plots make for fine writing. they're wrong. normal characters, believable dialogue, and interesting plots, along with solid writing skills make a book such as The WIndow at the White Cat a timeless classic. Modern readers might bemoan the lack of technology and the difference a cell phone would have made to the story, but this story was written in a different time, with different values. That
Kathy
Feb 21, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Rinehart's good mysteries. Liked the characters. Enjoyed the mystery. I would have given it a different title, maybe "1122" or "The Missing Spinster" or ""How I Met Your Mother." (I guess that last one has been taken...)
Linda Jacobs
Dec 31, 2013 Linda Jacobs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
After skipping the totally racist parts, I found the story to be engrossing, with kidnappings, murders, suicides, love triangles, missing pearls and eccentric aunts. It was written in a different time and reflected the views of that era.
Vicki Seldon
Aug 04, 2011 Vicki Seldon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Although I had to ignore the early- twentieth century notions of proper upper-middle class behavior and other stereotypical touches, I did enjoy this American drawing-room mystery with its endearing and somewhat bumbling lawyer turned detective and the backdrop of corruption in state politics.
Bev
Just not a fan of the "Had I But Known School." So, I know, why did I buy it and read it? Because I'm a book-aholic and can't resist a first edition pocket size mystery.
Marts  (Thinker)
Marjory Fleming's father is found dead and Jack Knox is bent on solving this mystery...
Whistlers Mom
Oct 08, 2016 Whistlers Mom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the third of Rinehart's mysteries and appeared in 1910. The narrator is a 35-year-old man. Rinehart wrote some of her mysteries in third person and many were narrated by female characters. Some readers claim that her books narrated by men are less convincing than those narrated by women, although I don't agree.

However, it's indisputable that many of her earlier mysteries are narrated by male characters, but almost none of her later ones are. Did she bow to popular opinion? Did she star
Ryan G
Nov 19, 2012 Ryan G rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this will be my last Mary Roberts Rinehart review of the year, and I'm really not sure when I will have a chance to review another one. Not because I still don't love her books, but because I don't have anymore to read. What's worse, I think I've finally emptied the used bookstores in Wichita of their Rinehart books. I can still find the books I already own, but I'm afraid there are no "new" ones to find. If I have to end my Mary Roberts Rinehart love fest for a while, at least it was with a ...more
Michelle
The Window At The White Cat
Mary Roberts Rinehart
Mystery
244 pages

Mary Roberts Rinehart
Her name is synonymous with ingenious mystery. She is
the author of over sixty chilling masterworks, and her
millions of fans are a testament to her unequaled
skill at weaving intrigue adn villainy into
spine-tingling tales of suspence...

The Window At The White Cat
Attorney Jack Knox adored the beautiful Margery
Fleming, but unfortuntely she adored teh
less-than-reputable Harry Wardrop. If that wasn't
enough of a headac
Mandolin
Nov 20, 2011 Mandolin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With her trademark skill at telling a story rich with ominous portents and foreboding, Rinehart recounts a dark tale of a crooked politician's disappearance and subsequent murder, into which John Knox, a bachelor attorney, is drawn when he falls head over heels in love with the politician's engaged daughter. Clues, like suspects, are everywhere - from missing pearls to switched cases and strange notes scribbled with the numbers "11-22" - but none seems to fit together to fully explain the murder ...more
Kristel
Literary detectives are different from you and me, those haughty geniuses with photographic memory who navigate a crime scene with laser-like precision. Because they are masters of detection, we the audience are often left scrambling in the dust, unable to make sense of the mystery until the genius detective deigns to explain everything to us. So it’s quite refreshing when I encounter a mystery where the problem-solver is as clueless as the average reader. In fact, Atty. Jack Knox in Mary Robert ...more
Dain
Aug 31, 2013 Dain rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this as book #1 for our Community Read's Library Centennial celebration. We are reading 3 books that were either written 100 yrs ago or about that time period. This one was actually written then. Although Rinehart is apparently famed for her mystery/detective stories and cited as the source of many "standard" and familiar colloquialisms ('the butler did it', etc), I just found the story too dated for my liking. It was convoluted, yet simplistic. I did love her turning of a phrase and the la ...more
Susan
Mar 15, 2013 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Window at the White Cat is the fourth book that I have read by Rinehart, and I must say that I found it just as enjoyable as the others. Rinehart delivers a great story full of twists and turns as a lawyer finds himself employed to find a young woman's missing father only to find himself at the center of several confounding mysteries. The book is a quick, fun read as Rinehart gives the reader a number of suspects, a confusing murder, a mysterious robbery, and a missing woman. The many colorf ...more
Brenda Mengeling
I mildly enjoyed The Window at the White Cat while I was actively reading it, but there was nothing very memorable about it. I often had to review what I had read previously before continuing; the story just didn't stick. I also was able to figure out what was going to happen, so that didn't help matters. Also, the generic setting--the narrator tells the reader early on that the setting is essentially a typical city in a typical state--added to the vagueness of the piece. Since Ms. Rinehart's st ...more
Marla Knaack
Nov 03, 2015 Marla Knaack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So twisty!

I always love a good mystery, and Rinehart always gives the best! It starts just a little slowly, getting you used to the characters. Knox, the hero, and Margery, the heroine. But as the story progresses, with the families, police, detectives, newspaper-men and politicians, things start to get more complicated. Throw in the White Cat, which is a club of sorts, the mix is complete. I guessed a few things, but didn't have it all figured out till the end. I can't wait to read it again.
Jane
Apr 23, 2015 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much fun to read and try to figure out the answers to the several mysteries in this entertaining book! I like her wit, the way she sets the scene and her economy of words in describing a character. Does she go on sometimes a bit more than necessary? Not when viewed through the standards of the time when she was writing. I have many of her novels in hard back from used bookstores (I have been collecting her since grad school) but love reading them on my e-reader. Lots are available free though ...more
Bonnie
Mar 20, 2016 Bonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really clever murder mystery. I had some trouble getting into it because I think I downloaded the wrong version. The narrator didn't do a very good job, in my opinion. I should have paid more attention to one of my friend's review of this book and made sure I got the narrator she listened to. Also, I started it when I couldn't pay very close attention, never a good idea. So this was more my fault than the author's. Once I could listen more attentively I found it more appealing.
William
Jun 06, 2012 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually owned this book when very young but never got around to reading it. I recently discovered it as a Kindle freebie and finally read it. Just as well I didn't read it then. It may have been beyond me then. Now, however, it is a very enjoyable, if dated, mystery. Rinehart is one of those classic mystery authors whom I never have read but have always been aware of. I will now find more of her books and read them.
Heidi
This is a classic early Rinehart mystery with a touch of romance. It does keep you guessing right until the end. It's fascinating to read something written over a hundred years ago just to see how people lived. There's also the inadvertent humour to a modern-day reader, for instance when the lawyer and cop eagerly jump in to a fresh crime scene and rearrange the body, and nobody bats an eyelash! Quite enjoyable.
Ruth
Sep 14, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A nice, solid mystery full of twists and turns, but comfortable. Probably I should be less find of this than I am. After all, there is at its heart a dysfunctional family at the base of this story, but this is a piece if its period so the focus is on the story not the dysfunction.

I will say that I can't imagine a worse reading voice than the one that this publishing house (Tantor) uses. Sheesh it is awful.
Marci
Aug 09, 2013 Marci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have liked Mary Roberts Rinehart for many years, having started with her Miss Pinkerton stories when I was a teenager. This mystery is of the "had I but known" type, with lots of clues presented in the form of foreshadowing, usually my least favorite style but not bad here.

The version I read was a Kindle public-domain transcript. Despite its stated publication date, it was first written and published in 1910, which, when I looked that up, made the story flow better for me.
Denise Kuntz
I have read or listened to other stories from Mary which are very good. This story is good so far, the best is the narrator, Robert Keiper is one of the best male readers that I have heard of these far! The different voices for the characters is amazing! I have found all of these great stories from ambling.com, this is a pay or free site, also we are able to just do a look up for your favorite narrators! I highly recommend the book and the site!
Sophie
Mar 14, 2014 Sophie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Unfortunately, I couldn't get far enough in to this audio book to evaluate the actual mystery. The narrator, Rebecca Burns, was so monotonous, so much like a computer-generated voice that I had to give up after twenty minutes or so. (I kept expecting her to say, "I found five clues, two of them are fairly close to you...") With so many talented readers out there, I can't imagine why any company would waste money putting out such an inferior product.
Mary
Oct 07, 2015 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It had a fun ending that I did not expect, but didn't get into this writer so much. Seems to drone on, with many unexpected plot twists. Not sure why it was called classic, maybe that it was written near the turn of the century and written by a woman. Old references were fun to hear, like Russian leather and modes of transportation, etc.
Julie
Oct 22, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Well written with lots of twists and turns. Revenge, embezzlement, missing persons, thieves, murder, politics, secrets and romance. I couldn't put it down! I also loved some of the humorous things that happened with the main character. A lawyer, detective and newspaper reporter solved the mystery.
Janet
Jun 08, 2013 Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd been wanting to read some books by early crime/mystery writers that I'd heard of but never read before. This particular book popped up as a free title for my Kindle so I gave it a try without knowing how representative it was of Rinehart's novels. I'm glad that I read it and I hope to research Rinehart's works to learn more about her style of crime writing.
  • That Affair Next Door
  • The Celebrated Jumping Frog and Other Stories
  • Raggedy Ann Stories
  • The House Of A Thousand Candles
  • Lady Molly of Scotland Yard
  • The Case of the Constant Suicides (Dr. Gideon Fell, #13)
  • The Middle Temple Murder
  • The Daffodil Mystery
  • Ivan the Fool
  • Poison in the Pen (Miss Silver, #29)
  • Patricia Brent, Spinster
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery #6)
  • Chip of the Flying U
Mary Roberts Rinehart (August 12, 1876-September 22, 1958) was a prolific author often called the American Agatha Christie. She is considered the source of the phrase "The butler did it", although she did not actually use the phrase herself, and also considered to have invented the "Had-I-But-Known" school of mystery writing.

Rinehart wrote hundreds of short stories, poems, travelogues and special
More about Mary Roberts Rinehart...

“In my criminal work anything that wears skirts is a lady, until the law proves her otherwise. From the frayed and slovenly petticoats of the woman who owns a poultry stand in the market and who has grown wealthy by selling chickens at twelve ounces to the pound, or the silk sweep of Mamie Tracy, whose diamonds have been stolen down on the avenue...” 1 likes
“Her eyes filled.
"He forgot my birthday, two weeks ago," she said. "It was the first one he had ever forgotten, in nineteen of them."
Nineteen! Nineteen from thirty-five leaves sixteen!”
0 likes