Start by marking “Backstage Prince, Vol. 1 (Backstage Prince, #1)” as Want to Read:
Backstage Prince, Vol. 1 (Backstage Prince, #1)

Backstage Prince, Vol. 1 (Backstage Prince #1)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  4,499 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Drawn into the exciting world of kabuki theatre, young Akari spends her time after school assisting the internationally famous actor, Shonosuke Ichimura. In the real world, however, this prince of kabuki is actually a high school cutie by the name of Ryusei.

Published March 6th 2007 by VIZ Media LLC (first published August 26th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Backstage Prince, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backstage Prince, Vol. 1

Theresa ♫
Dec 31, 2012 Theresa ♫ rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fellow humans in search for your typical romantic shoujo.
So I finished this book this morning . . . and this is what my face looked like.

description

BOTH of their faces!!! One face was all dead-like because yup. Another typical and cliche SHOUJO MANGA. (Don't tell me there's cliches in beautiful things like manga, too!)
This romance ZOOMED PAST at light speed. Something like that can't be realistic, right?

The other face is tearing up because...okay, those of you who read my reviews know very well that I

DESPISE CLICHES.

description

I do, with this huge, huge passion! What do w
Mayu
De Kanoko me gusta su serie Black bird, por eso quise leer este tomo, Príncipe secreto. Pero no me esperaba que esta historia pudiera ser tan sosa, aburrida, boba. Me costó muchísimo leer este tomo, es más, estuve a punto de dejarlo a medias.

Y bueno, recuerdo que él era un mago importante, ella su asistente, y había un gato de por medio. Entre la pareja protagonista no había química ninguna, menos sensualidad o romanticismo. Los personajes no me transmitieron nada, solo fueron dos adolescentes
Megan M
Mar 16, 2012 Megan M rated it did not like it
With nothing new or original to add to the genre, this book is just... fluff. The pacing is awkward, with the main couple "falling in love" in the space of about 30 pages. The drama is fake - whine whine whine, my boyfriend is so popular and other girls likes him whine. And Ryusei Horiuchi is an ASS. His excuse is that he hates people - well, I can see why people hate him back. He is always glaring and playing judge to everyone else in the manga. He is controlling and overly involved, especially ...more
Miss Ryoko
Apr 01, 2014 Miss Ryoko rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, library-book
Meh... the library doesn't have the second volume so I won't know how it truly ends, but I'm sure it's annoying. Akari is a super obnoxious female character. I don't know how Ryusei can stand her hot and cold behavior ("oh I love you! But wait, I'm not good for you! *runs away*) UUUUUGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!! And how many times is she going to talk about how their time spent backstage is their little secret? Okay, I got it the first 40 times you said it. Ugh

I like the general premise of the storyline...
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Oh Shoujo manga, how I like some of your series and some not but at the same time, its fun reading this genre. Yes the story sounds familiar and yeah it has some cliches here and there. But still I found this to be okay but has its moments. The art was good. Same art style reminded me of Black Bird (same artist). Good volume.
Starbubbles
Jun 30, 2012 Starbubbles rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I enjoyed this moderately. I would be lying if I didn’t say that I expected a little more. More humor, or romance, or sparkle… I’m not so sure as to what, but somewhere and at times, it was lacking. While I don't expect manga to add something to their respective genre, or always be thought provoking, it reminded me of marshmallows. It was fluffy and sugary, but eat too much and you'll get sick. It's a shame I don't like marshmallows outside of smores and rice krispies.

Anyway-
I got through the
Brittany
Nov 11, 2008 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: seventh, manga
This book got me hooked on manga, and for that I owe it everything.
Toastkat
Jan 06, 2017 Toastkat rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Eh. The pacing felt way too fast for me. Chapter One: Boom! they meet, she's his assistant next page, add water, instant romance! The entire time I'm reading, I wonder what exactly is it an assistant to a kabuki actor is supposed to do, and after having finished the first volume, I'm still not sure. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure the manga-ka knows either. The waffling of the main character was bothersome to me as well. "I love you" "I quit!" "I love you!" "I quit!" end scene. Am I the w ...more
Skye (Skye's Scribblings)
Aug 01, 2014 Skye (Skye's Scribblings) rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Black Bird
Shelves: reviewed

Find this review and many more at Skye's Scribblings!

This is a review of the entire 2-volume series. I have posted it for both volumes.

Genre: Young Adult Contemporary Romance
Rated: Teen (minor sensuality)
Format Read: Paperbacks (purchased)

Why I Read It: I followed the series when it was serialized in the Shojo Beat magazines years ago, and when it came to my attention again this year I couldn't help but purchase the volumes for my collection.

Story: Since there are only two volumes, it's a
Amanda McCoy
Feb 26, 2017 Amanda McCoy rated it really liked it
Great manga, the characters were believable and it gave an interesting little peek into the world of Kabuki. Actually after reading this manga I started watching Kabuki and now I'm a huge fan! I just wish this series was a bit longer.
Macy
Jun 08, 2015 Macy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Shojo manga fans
Recommended to Macy by: myself
*Review of first volume only*
So I've seen the cover of this manga for years, and I thought it would be good.

Basically, Akari, an average-looking high school girl, falls for this overly-handsome kabuki actor. They start dating, of course. The plot is pretty standard for shojo manga. I thought him being a kabuki actor would be more interesting...however the author never really elaborates on his job.

Art: 5
The art was cute and pretty normal for a shojo. Nothing really special seems to go into it. T
Courtney
High school student Akari's story starts when she accidentally slams her book bag (giant hardcover dictionary inside) into the stomach of one of the hottest guys in her school. Her victim, Ryusei (better known as Shonosuke Ichimura) is a famous kabuki actor. Feeling guilty about the situation, she winds up working as his assistant until he recovers, despite knowing nothing about Kabuki.

This is a cute little romance. Akari and Ryusei are opposites, personality wise. Akari is very cheerful and fr
Sereneblaze

Akari is totally clueless about kabuki--and boys--but she's eager to learn about both. Her first encounter with Ryusei doesn't go very well, but with the help of a cat named Mr. Ken, the two teenagers quickly become prince AND princesses of
Ana
Jul 31, 2012 Ana rated it it was ok
While this is not my favorite genre, I understand the appeal for young adults. Once I got the hang of how to read in the classic Japanese style, it was very easy to follow. Reluctanct readers will enjoy the quick reading style. This story is about a girl named Akuri and a Kabuki actor named Ryusei. Akuri spends time after school assisting the famous actor. He is shy and doesn't say much. Quickly the two fall in love and live happily ever after. There are some awkward translations from Japanese t ...more
Jenni
Feb 19, 2011 Jenni rated it really liked it
I saw that the illustrator were the same one that draw the Black bird series (LOVE IT) so I just had to read this as well.

This was a good distraction, while on the hunt for new mangas to read. The plot simple yet interesting and I loved how Kanoko illustrated Akari and Ryusei. Reminds me of Misao and Kyo, but still they have different personality so they way the act around the heroine is also different.
Love those moments where Ryusei always depends on Akira and crave her suppor, which shows how
Genesis
Apr 20, 2013 Genesis rated it it was amazing
Maureen
Jun 02, 2013 Maureen rated it it was ok
Shelves: disappointments
Poorly written. Very corny and filled with insta-love. You literally have no idea why these characters all of a sudden "love" each other. This manga had so much potential. Seriously, this was such a good plot but the author did not do anything good with it. The only positive thing I can say is that I am curious to see how this manga progresses in volume 2. This wasn't painful to read but it was almost there.
Solace Winter
Dec 07, 2011 Solace Winter rated it did not like it
There is nothing new and exciting about this particular manga. It rehashes stories that have been told hundreds of times before and those were likely to have better drama. This would have been better as a one shot story than two books of manga. I'll read the next one, since there are only two, but I can not see myself coming out of that one any more excited. No drama, no real storytelling. Everything ends up nicely tied up in a bow after every chapter. Too easy.
Abigail
Jul 04, 2013 Abigail rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for a good shojo manga with a good ending (it doesn't always happen) and just enough of a struggle for the main heroine. I really enjoyed reading this manga. There were just enough "daw" moments and the characters made you want to root for them. I do wish Sakurakouji could have developed the characters just a teensy bit more (give Akari a bit more backstory??) But over all, it was quite worth reading!!!
Lord
Feb 03, 2011 Lord rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
Average shojo with quick pacing (there's a kiss in the first chapter!). The girl fells in love with a kabuki actor, who is (surprise surprise) obviously the most handsome thing in the whole Japan and every girl wants him. Oh yes, it's a painful experience to date such a popular guy. Deal with it. Or not. It's up to you.
Dorcas
Aug 07, 2008 Dorcas rated it liked it
Cute shoujo showing another area of Japanese culture. The boy is a kubuki actor from a famous family, the girl is an ordinary school girl. He's anti-social, loves his cat and learning to become a great actor. She's really just trying to find her place in his world. Other than that it's your typical shoujo romance.
Emmy Lou
Jan 08, 2012 Emmy Lou rated it really liked it
After hitting one of the actors with her purse and bruising him badly, Akari decides to make it up to him by acting as his assistant in the kabuki theater. The problem? Akari doesn't know anything about kabuki and Ryusei (stage name Shonosuke) doesn't like people.

This is the start of a super cute series, and I can't wait to see where this goes. :D
Apr 11, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
I forgot how much I love this series. It's a quick, simple story. Her characters in Black Bird look just like the characters in the earlier Backstage Prince, but the story is dissimilar enough that its enjoyable.
Rachel
Apr 25, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
So insta-love and the thickest layer of cheese ever does not make for a good manga lol I was rolling my eyes so much I was going to get dizzy if I didn't take a break between volumes. :P Luckily the art is decent so that saved it from two stars.
Chanin Malley
Jan 31, 2014 Chanin Malley rated it really liked it
You know those mangas you read that when you finish you wish there was more right after?From the author of Black bird comes this book and i have to say that i loved it.This author is honestly one of my favorite shojo romance authors in my library.
Sarah Evans
Aug 24, 2008 Sarah Evans rated it liked it
An innocuous story about a high school girl who is the only person a famous kabuki actor feels at home with. It's sweet, but written in a moment in time kind of way, versus the more traditional linear story. Nice, not fabulous, but with attractive drawings.
Jenna
May 13, 2013 Jenna rated it liked it
Cute story and I liked that it was only two volumes. However, having read Penguin Kakumei, I just kept comparing the two and the heroine of PK was a couple steps above this one. But still a fast, fun read. Wanted to see more of Kabuki.
VampAmber
Mar 04, 2015 VampAmber rated it really liked it
Oh, that was so cute. Can't wait to read the next volume. Though I feel kind of bad for Akari. She's so insecure that it almost hurts. I'll keep cheering her on, and hope that she finally realizes that she IS good enough for Ryusei, no matter what those jealous girls think.
Reader17 Der
Nov 04, 2008 Reader17 Der rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-read
This is a story about a young boy Kabuki actor that accidently is hit in the stomache by a young girl. The girl feels bad that she hurts him so she offers to help him out until he recovered.

I enjoyed reading this I liked the characters in this book.
R.A.
May 21, 2016 R.A. rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
The insta-love did throw me a little in this one but at least the main guy has a good heart even if he's socially inept and has trouble expressing himself. And also kabuki!
  • Fall in Love Like a Comic! Vol. 1
  • Wanted
  • Yurara, Vol. 1
  • Crimson Hero, Vol. 1 (Crimson Hero, # 1)
  • Punch!, Vol. 1 (Punch!, #1)
  • B.O.D.Y., Volume 1
  • Wild Ones, Vol. 2 (Wild Ones, #2)
  • Millennium Snow, Vol. 2 (Millennium Snow, #2)
  • Ai Hime ~ Ai to Himegoto, Vol. 01
  • Monkey High!, Vol. 1
  • Flower in a Storm (Flower in a Storm, #1)
  • Tail of the Moon, Volume 1
  • Honey Hunt, Vol. 1
  • Love Attack, Volume 1
  • Beauty Pop, Vol. 4 (Beauty Pop, #4)
  • Cactus's Secret, Vol. 01
  • Mixed Vegetables, Vol. 1 (Mixed Vegetables, #1)
  • Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 1
Given name: かのこ
Family name: 桜小路

Kanoko Sakurakoji (桜小路 かのこ, Sakurakōji Kanoko)

Zodiac: Leo

Blood Type: AB
More about Kanoko Sakurakouji...

Backstage Prince (2 books)
  • Backstage Prince, Vol. 2 (Backstage Prince, #2)