Start by marking “Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money” as Want to Read:
Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money

Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money

Now updated?the classic guide that teaches women how to take control of their own finances

When this groundbreaking yet compassionate book was first published ten years ago, it lifted a veil on women?s resistance to managing their money, revealing that many were still waiting for a prince to rescue them financially. In this revised edition, which reflects our present-day
Published April 24th 2007 by Penguin Books (first published April 24th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Prince Charming Isn't Coming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince Charming Isn't Coming

Kayel
this was a chore and a half to read, and if it wasn't for book club i wouldn't have even bothered reading. i thought the author was extremely hard to sympathize with: hey little rich girl, i'm so sorry your husband lost $500,000 of your money TWICE; kind of hard for your Average Joe to relate to. i also thought she had a high and mighty, know-it-all, lecturing style of writing, which was CRAP! subject matter wise, i think it's important info, just go about it by someone else!
Amy
Aug 17, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club-books
starts out lame, but picks up. A good overview for any female before investing &/or taking charge of one's financial situation. Left me wanting much more information, but accomplished the goal of motivating me to begin.
Janaki
Oct 26, 2016 Janaki rated it liked it
The social undertones are a little outdated, but the overall message is good: financial literacy is an under-taught life skill and women suffer the most- so start taking control of your own finances.
Debbie D
Oct 07, 2016 Debbie D rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
Good book if one is just starting out.
Gina
Feb 14, 2010 Gina rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent beginning resource for any woman that wants to finally understand money, and how to start exercising control over her financial life.

The book is written by the daughter of one of the H&R Block founders who admits she knew absolutely nothing about money, finance, or investing until her husband runs off after trashing her trust fund, leaving Barbara to face the IRS alone and uninformed. This book is Barbara's story about how she and other women began their journey to
Nicole
Aug 01, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it
Damned right he's not coming. Where have you been?

Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money, by Barbara Stanny, is a book that is leveled at empowering women (regardless of whether or not they have Prince Charming) to know their finances and be smart about investing.

This book was incredibly informative and a great read for any woman who has yet to take control of her finances, investments in particular. It addresses the actual barriers that women feel with investing, but mor
Michelle Powers
Jun 02, 2008 Michelle Powers rated it it was ok
Barbara Stanny got millions from her father, one of the Blocks of H&R Block. When she married, her husband took control of her money. Through a series of bad investment, and without her knowledge, he lost much of it. They eventually divorced and he moved out of the country. Then the IRS came to see her about some tax returns (imagine, the daughter of one of the Blocks!). Of course, since the husband was no longer in the US, she was the only one held responsible. Stanley decided she needed to ...more
TJ
Apr 13, 2015 TJ rated it really liked it
I swear it didn't honestly take me this long to read, but since it was an actually book instead of one of my several e-reader apps I kept forgetting it elsewhere. Intriguing story about Barbara I'm glad she shared her story all the gritty details. Including some that would have landed me in jail or the most wanted list. She gave a lot of smart information about learning how to manage your money. The Prince Charming fantasy we are taught from a young age does not apply here. It's all about educat ...more
Maggie
Aug 03, 2016 Maggie rated it really liked it
This is a very good book to help motivate a person into looking at her finances rather than hoping someone else will take care of it. I haven't done anything yet, but I feel very motivated to get over my fears and figure out what is going on with the investments I have had & never looked at and the cash that is just sitting there making no money. I do want to retire one day and continuing the way I have will not get me there!
Cindy
Feb 29, 2016 Cindy rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
There were a couple of interesting points, but overall this book was not for me. This is more geared towards women that have money and need to take control over it. The author is the daughter of one of the founders of H&R Block and so it was hard to sympathize or relate with what to her were hard times.
Jamie
Jul 18, 2012 Jamie rated it really liked it
Great motivational and inspirational book to encourage women, including myself, to learn about and take control of our money. Never had an interest in learning economics or about the stock market until this book and it feels great to actually have some idea what people are talking about when they talk money.
Linda
Dec 18, 2007 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every woman
This book encourages women to become aware of their finances and get involved in taking financial responsibility. It is based on the premise that the only person a woman can depend on for financial security is herself.
Ann
Mar 01, 2010 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My knowledge on investments was really sketchy until I stumbled upon this book- simple to understand, yet powerfully illustrated and explained, I feel more empowered and confident to make sound investment decisions, and well..sound mistakes too.
A great read any day, and a definite must-have!
Patti
Aug 27, 2008 Patti rated it it was ok
Recommended to Patti by: Amy Lombardo
This book was okay. It was useful for someone who is just starting out handling her finances, but honestly it was repetitive and I found myself unable to relate to some of the problems she addressed.
Rachel
Jul 26, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wsh-list
This is an excellent book that addresses the many issues women have about money and being financially savvy and financially independent. It includes many great resources. I would totally buy this book.
Rose
Nov 11, 2008 Rose rated it really liked it
Good read for women in an income rut. I applaud the author for making a fortune on common sense that most women refuse to acknowledge for themselves.
Leslie
Jan 18, 2008 Leslie rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! The focus of the book is not a man saving the financial day. This book is about the relationship women have with money and the beliefs they have about their financial future.
Linda
Dec 29, 2008 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, but not nearly as good as her Overcoming Underearning. Now I just have to put it all into practice!!! :)
Toni
May 13, 2011 Toni rated it it was amazing
Daughter of wealth explains how she comes to the realization that she and she only must control her wealth. Every woman should read it.
Nina
Oct 17, 2007 Nina rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
I love this book!!!

It's necessary to wake yourself up from dreams.
And this book can help you...to be more realistic.
Leslie Patrick
Aug 09, 2015 Leslie Patrick rated it it was amazing
A truly eye opening book about finances that has helped me make major changes in my life. Highly recommended!
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2015
Happyhatchling
Happyhatchling rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Traci
Traci rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2013
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2009
Melinda Webb
Melinda Webb rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Farangis A'zami
Farangis A'zami rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2013
Maritza
Maritza rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2010
Aidenpants
Jul 05, 2016 Aidenpants rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finances, women
This was a motivational kick-in-the-butt. It helped me understand my inertia and stumbling blocks.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Let Me Play: The Story of Title IX: The Law That Changed the Future of Girls in America
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20'sand 30's
  • 33 Things Every Girl Should Know About Women's History: From Suffragettes to Skirt Lengths to the E.R.A
  • A Garlic Testament: Seasons on a Small New Mexico Farm
  • Toward a New Psychology of Women
  • 1001 Things Every Teen Should Know Before They Leave Home: (Or Else They'll Come Back)
  • Volunteer Vacations: Short-Term Adventures That Will Benefit You and Others
  • The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
  • Hot (broke) Messes: How to Have Your Latte and Drink It Too
  • Manners
  • Tiffany's Table Manners for Teenagers
  • The Wall Street Journal Complete Money and Investing Guidebook
  • The Motley Fool Investment Guide for Teens: 8 Steps to Having More Money Than Your Parents Ever Dreamed Of
  • Once Upon a Car: The Fall and Resurrection of America's Big Three Automakers--GM, Ford, and Chrysler
  • How Rude!: The Teen Guide to Good Manners, Proper Behavior, and Not Grossing People Out
  • Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself
  • On My Own Two Feet: A Modern Girl's Guide to Personal Finance
  • The Boss of You: Everything A Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business

“Prince Charming, in truth, is nothing more than a projection of our disowned selves. He” 0 likes