Notes of a Dirty Old Man

Notes of a Dirty Old Man

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  11,561 ratings  ·  243 reviews
Collection of Bukowski's columns from the underground newspapers Open City and the Los Angeles Free Press. "People come to my door—too many of them really—and knock to tell me Notes of a Dirty Old Man turns them on. A bum off the road brings in a gypsy and his wife and we talk... drink half the night. A long distance operator from Newburgh, N.Y. sends me money. She wants m...more
Published 1970 by City Lights Books, San Francisco (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Notes of a Dirty Old Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notes of a Dirty Old Man

Caris
It's been three long days since I finished Notes. Under ordinary circumstances, this is where I'd move on to something else and forget everything about it. The whole reason for joining good reads was to keep track of all those books I simply cannot remember reading. Almost everything I pick up seems to be destined for this list- an attempt to remember the forgotten...the fallen comrades who have helped shape me into who I am today. If it sounds dramatic, maybe it is.

This one, though, isn't easy...more
Bryan Mclellan
Jul 02, 2008 Bryan Mclellan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Abner
Recommended to Bryan by: Amazon
Rating books with stars, like bars or restaurants or anything else is pretty silly.

This was a good book to read at night while drinking pints at pubs in Seattle. A collection of "articles" from a small(?) paper in Los Angeles (?), there's no apparent chronology or order of any kind to them. If there is, it's deep an intellectual.

And after all, an intellectual takes something simple and makes it complex, while an artist takes something complex and makes it simple. (Indirect book quote)

I'm reminde...more
Steve
Jan 24, 2009 Steve rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one really
Shelves: fiction
I was expecting something witty and intelligent, what I got was violent, crude, misogynistic and highly unpleasant, in the beginning at least. After a few tens of pages it settles down into a more, well mostly, stable narrative; almost like Bukowski wanted to put off the reader from delving further into the book. Beneath the vulgarity, self-loathing and woman hating, there is a glimmer of something. Perhaps it is, as the reviews on the back cover suggest, about the futility of life. It could be...more
Elise
This one is not for the faint of heart, the delicate, nor the easily offended, but if you are bold, daring, and curious, it is somewhat entertaining. The rants, stories, and prose poems collected here are uneven in quality, but enough of them held my interest so that I was able to finish reading "Notes of a Dirty Old Man." Bukowski is so unflinchingly honest about everything, so don't read this if you can't handle the truth. He also exposes things some might wish they had never seen--prostitutio...more
Karky
I had a Chuck Bukowski kick back in 2004. I moved out of my father's house the year prior, inadvertently isolated myself from most of my friends, got a soul-draining job in retail, and fallen into a bit of depression (which hardly anyone noticed). Though I hardly remember what I read, it spoke to me because I was in a toxic environment and Bukowski wrote with an honest intensity that was lacking in my life at the time.
Michael Seidlinger
So dirty.

So drunky.

So angry.

Truly like an American Celine.

Nina Rapsodia
Aug 16, 2014 Nina Rapsodia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Los que les gusta los textos raros
Recommended to Nina by: nadie
Shelves: 2014
3.5

Entonces poco a poco me voy haciendo con la colección de textos y relatos de Bukowski y voy armando mi colección. Claro, me encantaría leerlos en inglés, pero ahora mismo no estoy en capacidad para comprar libros. Ya he hablando y reseñado varias veces de este autor y de su peculiar visión de expresarse y ver el mundo. Entre los títulos que he mencionado están dos libros de relatos y una novela corta. En este caso es un poco diferente lo que esta libro tiene para ofrecer.

Resulta que en los a...more
Rupert Owen
It's been many years since I have returned to Henry Chinaski (Charles Bukowski) and through Notes of a Dirty Old Man, I was taken on yet another sometimes befuddling and sometimes profound reading experience. Bukowski mixes his prose with personal anecdotes and downright ridiculous absurdity, like a train wreck of thought. As he was churning these out for the Open City press, I gather Bukowski would have been writing many of the stories for his own amusement, just to see how far he could stretch...more
Mat
Like South of No North, this book has its ups and downs, although I like Notes of a Dirty Old Man slightly better for several reasons. There are some really, really interesting and great short stories in this book and there are some really weird, messed-up ones which leave you saying or thinking WTF?

This is a collection of articles that Bukowski wrote in his column for OPEN CITY over about a 11-month period.

This book has reconfirmed for me the fact that Bukowski is best at this form of writing...more
Raegan Butcher
Bukowksi worked well when given every writers dream: carte blanche to write whatever he felt like writing, only to have it reproduced by the LA FREE PRESS and on the streets in a week, being read by thousands. Bukowski himself writes of the magical feeling of having the freedom to write whatever he wanted and the sudden notoriety he aquired with his new exposure. This collection of stories, as opposed to the ones collected elsewhere, show him still experimenting with a variety of forms and these...more
Rob Charpentier
Journalism? Bukowski? Technically, yes. These writings were all first published under the by-line of “Notes Of A Dirty Old Man” in a Los Angeles free weekly called “Open City” between the years of 1967 – 1969. They largely consist of the usual semi-autobiographical fare from the author in the form of short stories and a few poems but they are essentially really more of a grab bag collection of odds and ends on a variety of subjects. Naturally, due to the confines of the printed page of the newsp...more
Travis Roberson
This is the lowest I've ever rated a Bukowski book.

I think Bukowski says it best in the beginning, during his time writing for Open City, the paper was so busy that the editor often accepted Bukowski's pieces without second glance, more than likely due to his recent brush with success. If this book has taught me anything it's that editors are there for a reason. I'm no stranger to Bukowski, but this collection is just awful. The stories either go absolutely nowhere or break off into some half-as...more
Dania
I really don't get what makes Bukowski so profound. Notes of a Dirty Old Man is the ramblings of a drunk and dirty gambler, always looking for his next drink or screw. Bukowski's writing is called Dirty Realism. That pretty much sums this particular book up. This book is a collection of little snippets of stories, based on Bukowski's life. He has no goals or aspirations. He barely works. The only thing he seems to have going for him is a large penis, but in my opinion, he's so dirty, smelly, and...more
Jack Stevenson
This is essentially a collection of Charles Bukowski's writings for an underground newspaper from the late 1960s. It's semi-autobiographical in that some appear to be true stories from his life, some are blatantly fictional, and some are written from the viewpoint of his alter-ego.

This book isn't going to be for everyone. Bukowski is an unapologetic dirty old man, as the title of the book would suggest, and positively revels in stumbling around America, drinking and fighting and having sex with...more
Scott
A quick background on my exposure to Bukowski:

A number of years ago, I watched the Bukowski-scripted movie Barfly, starring Micky Rourke as Bukowski's alter-ego, Chinaski. It's a pretty good flick, which introduces the man's proclivity for drinking and fighting, as well as his exceptional talent for writing poetry and generally being character.

Much later I read "Women", which is a largely autobiographical novel that once again uses the Chinaski character to see the world through Bukowski's eyes....more
Ada
Unashamedly vulgar and crude entries by Bukowski, all in keeping with anything else you might have read by him or heard of him. Quite what is fact and fiction is at times hard to decipher but there is a distinctly auto-biographical element to this. Common themes, as expected, extend from casual misogyny and liberal sexual intercourse, to wayward and hapless contemporary American existence accompanied by an empty bottle of alcohol and frequent travels and jumping ship.

I like Bukowski though. It'...more
Lucas Oliveira
Ler Bukowski é sempre uma experiência única, as narrativas acabam por mudar o seu interior de alguma maneira, isso devido ao relato pungente e arrebatador que é a vida desse completo bebum, que vai além de tudo o que é "permitido", dando uma prova do que pode ser um lado do espirito humano. Bukowski não esconde, um depravado sem objeções, com a língua solta. Recomendo pra todos.
Ismael Galvan
This book isn't his best stuff. His prime writing can be found elsewhere. Yet Notes of a Dirty Old Man is gem for any long time Bukowski reader because he reveals aspects of himself that are missing from his big titles. This collection of writing has a freer vibe and is more experimental. Political, post-modern, queer, themes almost untouched in his massive body of work.

I give this book five stars for its insightful qualities into a writer I thought could no longer surprise me.
Nikola Korbuc
This compilation of short stories was indeed quite interesting to read, to say the least.
Before I took up this book, I previously read "Erections, Ejaculations, Exhibitions and General Tales of Ordinary Madness", which had given me some insight into the general style of Bukowski.
Well, suffice to say, both were quite interesting, and one story is common to both of these compilations; of course, beside the underlying theme shared amongst all of Charles' works.
In the preface, Bukowski said that all...more
Luis Perez
I'd actually like to give this closer to 4 stars, but not quite 4 stars. C'mon Goodreads, how about a 10-star system? Things would be a lot more accurate that way.

In any case, this collection of alternative newspaper columns isn't Bukowski's best work as a whole, but is still enjoyable to read. It's brilliant at times and muddy in others. I guess in that case, it's a lot like life.
David Larsson
Yes, this is very Bukowski, but not in the way I have come to appreciate a lot. This collection of ramblings is filled with too much needless anger, not really giving anything to the story. Sure there are some moments here that echoes of the great writing he is able to, but they are not enough to make this book a satisfactory reading experience.
Andy
Tough-ass tales culled from his L.A. Free Press days I used to take for granted, not realizing a literary badass stalked my back yard...drunkenly. Beat writings told in a hard-boiled noir style. Hard shit to put down.
Monica Mazzocchi
My introduction to the raw, uninhibited world of hank...and what an introduction it was. I've been a sucker for the dirty old man ever since.
Dave
Best Bukowski book I've read so far. Ugly, gritty as alley dirt, and strangely sad and uplifting at the same time.
Abigail
Part of my history of falling in love with Bukowski.
Shawn Ambrose
Aside from all the nauseating misogyny, it was not too bad. His brutal realism is refreshing. Though even for someone with my morbid and dark sense of humour it was a little too boorish and squalid at times. To be honest it sounded like the ramblings of a drunk on the street. A slightly more eloquent drunk, perhaps. Slightly. This aren't the greatest collection of stories to be honest. But when he talks about depression and the desolation of our existence, he gets it right.

He really is a dirty o...more
CM

«Mi sembra che l'Uomo abbia sconfitto Dio quasi ogni volta che si sono scontrati disse.»
«Non so dissi. «Ma, per come la capisco io, segar le ali ad un uomo è un po' come tagliargli il cazzo.»
«Può darsi. Ma per come la capisco io, sono i forti a mandar avanti le cose.»
«Oppure la morte a farle finire. E adesso di quali delle due cose si tratta?»
† Dialogo tra Bugsy e Tim Bailey

"Ho conosciuto troppi intellettuali di recente. Mi annoiano a morte quegli intelletti preziosi che devono dir diamanti ogn...more
Derek
I worked at a bookstore that had shelf talkers; small reviews of books we'd recommend. I can remember thinking I'd like to have a "shit talker" for some books so people would NOT buy them. This is my attempt at a shit talker for this book. This book was so bad I had to leave its rating at zero stars. I am amazed that anyone would rave about this book or anything else by this guy.

His ramblings about his deplorable life and circumstances are so pathetic that some sound as if they're forced and com...more
Robert
Culled from the columns of an underground newspaper that he was writing for at the time, this is a collection of stories which are mostly autobiographical, occasionally fanciful and sometimes downright surreal. The book meanders like the mind of a drunk, recalling the highs and lows (okay, lows and really down-dirty lows) of a penniless dipsomaniac as he fucks and fights his way through life, trying to eke out a living as a poet and writer while doing as little actual work as possible.
Like the r...more
  • Pushkin: A Biography
  • The Fuck Up
  • The Fall of the Athenian Empire
  • Water from the Sun and Discovering Japan
  • Nineteen Seventy Seven (Red Riding, #2)
  • Novels 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born (Library of America #126)
  • My Lai 4: A Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath
  • Apathy and Other Small Victories
Henry Charles Bukowski (born as Heinrich Karl Bukowski) was a German-born American poet, novelist and short story writer. His writing was influenced by the social, cultural and economic ambience of his home city of Los Angeles.It is marked by an emphasis on the ordinary lives of poor Americans, the act of writing, alcohol, relationships with women and the drudgery of work. Bukowski wrote thousands...more
More about Charles Bukowski...
Post Office Ham on Rye Women Factotum Love is a Dog from Hell

“the soul has no skin; the soul only has insides that want to sing, finally, can't you hear it, brothers? softly, can't you hear it, brothers? a hot piece of ass and a new Cadillac ain't going to solve a god-damned thing.” 37 likes
“There is only one place to write and that is alone at a typewriter. The writer who has to go into the streets is a writer who does not know the streets. . . when you leave your typewriter you leave your machine gun and the rats come pouring through.” 35 likes