Start by marking “The New Rebellion (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
The New Rebellion (Star Wars)

The New Rebellion (Star Wars Universe)

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,144 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Award-winning author Kristine Kathryn Rusch brings her remarkable talents to the Star Wars(r) universe, where the New Republic faces sudden and total annihilation....

Somewhere in the galaxy, millions suddenly perish--a disruption of the Force so shocking it is felt by Luke at his Jedi academy and by Leia on Coruscant.While Leia must deal with an assassination attempt, a ru
Hardcover
Published October 1997 by Demco Media (first published November 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The New Rebellion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Rebellion

Kevis Hendrickson
Dec 03, 2013 Kevis Hendrickson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of all the countless Star Wars novels that have been released, Kristine Kathyrn Rusch's The New Rebellion feels as though it really is one of the films. In fact, this book seems more like a Star Wars movie than some of the films themselves. I've read nearly all of the Star Wars expanded universe novels including the film adaptations and can personally vouch for this title. The New Rebellion is superb! Although I won't say it is the best Star Wars novel there is (it isn't), it is the ONLY novel t ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Luke and Leia feel a disturbance just moments before the great Senate Hall explodes. Luke senses that Brakiss, one of his former students turned Dark has something to do with it, and he leaves to seek him out. Han, who had been meeting with a smuggler with apparent knowledge of the explosion, leaves for Smuggler's Run to learn more about this plot, leaving Leia at home to protect Han from negative implications and to balance the power held precariously by the former Imperial senators who now pop ...more
Scott Rhee
Kristine Kathryn Rusch’s “The New Rebellion” is one of the top ten best novels in the Star Wars Expanded Universe (SWEU) series. Like the original trilogy, it is fun, exciting, fast-paced, and reminiscent of the classic pulp sci-fi stories from which George Lucas was inspired.

It is also one of the few SWEU novels that blatantly attempts to interject relevant social commentary within its fantasy setting, using the Star Wars universe as a way to examine current events. In this novel, Rusch cleverl
Jessica
Aug 06, 2007 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Definitely one of my favorite Star Wars pieces. It's dark, it's innovative, and it's fast-paced - a surprisingly good read for sci-fi.
Sophi Link
For some reason, I've always been loath to pick up books based on movies, tv shows, video games, or what have you. Maybe it's because the authors are so rarely (are they ever?) the same people who created the fictional world and characters, or because the movie/tv show/video game/what have you feels complete in itself, or maybe I'm just a book snob. Who knows.

Whatever the reasons behind my ingrained biases, this weekend I had a horizon-broadening experience as I read this lovely Star Wars novel,
Matthew Vinueza
Apr 30, 2014 Matthew Vinueza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Star Wars The New Rebellion

Somewhere in the galaxy, millions of people are suddenly eradicated in seconds that then triggers a moment of sadness horror and pain. A moment so mentally traumatizing that it triggered a disturbance in the force, so shocking in the mind of Luke sky walker at his Jedi academy on Yavin 4 and Leia at home on Coruscant. As Leia head of the republic heads to discuss important matters with the senate, a immense explosion demolishes the meeting hall and obliterates a huge
Ron
Not a bad SW story, but they're so repetitive. All the usual folks going through the same motions. Little growth or change. That's the trouble with this kind of fiction, of course, if someone introduces something genuinely unique, it throws off everyone else.

Leia chiding herself for not doing Jedi drills is about as tiresome as whats-her-name pulling her braid in that other endless stream of stories (the Wheel of Time).

The biggest disconnect was Rusch's portrayal of the Force has a matter of pe
Wuher
Apr 21, 2014 Wuher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leia had been preparing herself for a large diplomatic event, one that would host hundreds of officials from all over New Republic space. When all of a sudden out of nowhere: a great disturbance in the Force spanned the galaxy, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Could it have been another Death Star, or even a Sun Crusher? Leia had barely even recovered when she had to put the thought aside and attend the event. An event soon to be ruined in a fier ...more
Pieter
Feb 25, 2015 Pieter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
- This review contains spoilers! May the Force be with you.
- At the end of episode VI, I would have expected that creating a new republic would be a piece of cake. The first 20 pages of this novel prove me wrong …
- This is the first Star Wars book I read that takes place after ‘Return of the Jedi’.
- There are several books between ‘Return of the Jedi’ and this book, so those might have given me a better insight on the situation the New Republic is in. - - However, these books are not canon, as f
Phil
Jan 10, 2015 Phil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Rusch serves up the story of a man driven to overthrow the New Republic government because he feels it hasn't done a good enough job of protecting everybody. He proceeds to go about this by killing lots and lots of people quickly and efficiently (No, it makes sense, I promise). I enjoyed this one, if for no other reason it had a bad guy who wasn't the Empire. It also explores a little the idea that even though the New Republic started with the noblest of intentions, it’s not immune to corruption ...more
Mark Oppenlander
As "The New Rebellion" opens, a number of former Imperial functionaries have been appointed to seats in the New Republic's Senate. Leia, as the Chief of State, does not like this and does not trust the former Imperials, but knows that democracy must be allowed to run its course. Then, an explosion rocks the Senate chamber on Coruscant, and when the dust settles and the wounded and injured are counted, accusations begin to fly. Leia must deal with the political fallout, which grows even worse whe ...more
Michael Otway
3.5 Stars. Not Quite The Thrawn Trilogy quality, but better than all the rest.

After reading through the pretty average New Republic Era of Stackpoles atrocious X-Wing books, to the slack Jedi Academy Trilogy, it was like a breath of fresh air reading this book. Other than Zahn's work, this is the best of the new Republic era books. I would go as far as to say in this era you should really only read this and Zahn's books. However it is not without it's flaws.

WHAT I LIKED:

- It was a solid story a
Ian Reay
Jul 16, 2015 Ian Reay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
The New Rebellion begins with a bang and doesn't stop the tension until the very last page. This wonderful page turner by Kristine Kathryn Rusch brought out every element in the Star Wars expanded universe by executing a flawless narrative that wound around an intense plotline.
By reading the narrative, it was clear that the author had done her homework. Every character down to the evil Kueller and fallen Brakiss were very round and dynamic. Also, many of the expanded universe books fail to illus
Sebastien
Dec 10, 2011 Sebastien rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fan de Star Wars
Recommended to Sebastien by: Sc Fiction Book club
Shelves: star-wars
Avec ma commande de Shadow of the Empire j'ai commander 2 autre livres: New Rebellion et Corellian Trilogy.

Je dois dire qu'après avoir lu Shadow of the Empire, la commande était sévère que d'avoir un roman aussi satisfaisant. De par ma critique vous croierez que ce ne fut pas le cas, mais je dois dire que j'ai lu ce roman en 2 semaine et que ce fut une de mes lecture les plus rapide à l'époque.

Pourquoi ai-je donc coté ce livre 3* seulement, c'est parce que ce qui m'a pousser à en lire plus c'est
Steph Moyer
So, Star Wars...
Okay, so New Republic is all up and running. The senate voted to let former Imperials into the Senate, Leia doesn't like it and she keeps wearing white dresses as... protest or something. Han meets an old "friend" who says a bunch of smugglers are getting rich and dying. Luke is... being a Jedi... And Lando is still trying to make up for selling Han, Leia and Chewie to Vader a few years back. Threepio is panicking and Artoo is out-smarting everyone.
Then there's a BOOM! in the Sen
HeavyReader
Dec 03, 2013 HeavyReader rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars geeks
Shelves: sciencefiction
I got this book from the free shelf outside St. John's Rummage House, and I'm reading it during a drug study. I am actually enjoying it, although science fiction doesn't tend to be my favorite genre.

This book was great for drug study reading. It was mind candy, but not such total fluff that it didn't require any of my attention. It was definitely plot--and not character--driven. I don't think any of the characters developed in any way, but the plot kept me interested. It wasn't a book where I kn
Johnny
Nov 04, 2015 Johnny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid piece of SW Expanded Universe lit. Had the feel of the movies, the characters were consistent, and it had that grand scope that so many other EU books lack. Dolph and Brakiss were good additions to the SW universe, and while the mist blobs and droid factory keep it from five stars, the Smugglers Run and Almania scenes were well written, and the Thernbee was fun too. Enjoyed this one, four stars.
B. Reese
I really give this about 2.5 stars.

I finished it, and I guess I recall liking it, but it was one of the last Star Wars books I read before the NJO. It really felt like a potboiler and I didn't understand the motivation of the villain, or even when Luke had trained him. I'll have to read it again some day.

This is a halfway decent read in a time when a lot of stinkers were flooding the market.
Kim
This is, in my humble opinion, the best Star Wars book there is. I'm not sure what exactly is is about this book that pleases me so intensely, but here's a few ideas: It has some of the best Han and Leia scenes ever written, it has a fantastic scene involving Luke, Jacen, Jaina and Anakin, it's a great showcase into how the relationship has developed between Luke and Leia and how much each will risk for the other, and it's got a genuinely exciting plot and a really scary bad guy. Rusch's descrip ...more
Feb 12, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up at a book faire for $1. It's a bit battered (the cover and the first few pages had rips in them) but the story makes up for the bad condition. It had strong imagery helped with the well written characters and our favourites Leia, Luke, Han, Cherie ect. acted the way they would in the movies. It was interesting to get to know about Han and Leia's children and I wish that they featured more in this book. I liked that 'The New Rebellion' referenced events from the movies as we ...more
Isaac Gallaway
Decent stand-alone story that gives room for more spin offs. Decent writing style, however nothing to rave about. More fun in the Star Wars universe, however not as much fun as some of the other classics.
Yves
Aug 21, 2012 Yves rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars, sf
Ce livre se passe 17 ans après l'Épisode 4. Un méchant nommé kueller décide de faire exploser le sénat, ce qui entrainera plusieurs morts. Luke Skywalker enquêtera pour savoir qui est ce Kueller. Il se rendra vite compte que c'est un de ses anciens élèves de l'Académie de Jedi.

Ce livre est vraiment ridicule. Le début avec l'attentat au sénat est bien mais c'est après que ça se gâte. Il y a plein de stupidité dans ce livre. Luke a de la difficulté à se défendre contre des genres de bulles roses q
Delanie Washburn
Nov 22, 2015 Delanie Washburn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am still enjoying these books very much. This one even more than average
Matthew
Audiobook
Amanda Kay
Sep 16, 2012 Amanda Kay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars Fans
I don't understand why this book is liked so much by other reviews. In my opinion it is not anywhere near the best SW novel out there. There are problems with the story. Some things are just silly and yes the author repeats things with NO originality! It was worth reading but it's not the best by any means in my eyes. My full review can be found at my blog here...
Bret
Dec 24, 2013 Bret rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
For the most part, this was a decent Star Wars story. Well, until the ending.

My main grievance with this book is how Luke, once again, comes off looking like a weak Jedi. He almost dies about four times throughout the book. It is clear that no author, to date, has any clue how to handle the Luke version of the story. For the only living Jedi Master, Luke is portrayed as barely a Force novice.
Siria
The plot is seriously sub-standard, even for something in this series, and there are times when Rusch works in lines from the original movies that I would pay good money to see no-one ever use again (starting with "I've got a bad feeling about this" and working from there). The characterisation is better than normal, though, and it's passably well-written - putting it far above the normal run of single volume SW books. About the level of an average fanfic, really.
Shaun
Oct 03, 2012 Shaun rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kegel
May 23, 2009 Kegel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book was sufficiently enjoyable to read and that's why I give it 3 stars.
There are really some logic problems in the plot though. What made it totally feel like fanfiction were the silly cliffhangers that ended almost every chapter. It doesn't do anything for tension if you pretend for the 30th time at the end of a chapter that everybody is going to die and there are still 24 chapters to go.
Kelly
Apr 02, 2015 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rereading this, I had to plow my way through. The "acting" was over the top, Leia was suddenly unable to process progressive politics, nor that former Imperials (wasn't she initially a part of the imperial senate?) could ever possibly know what's best for the people. And Han and Chewie, I felt as though the author was pushing their personalities at me. I skipped a lot of the banter.
  • Shield of Lies (Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis, #2)
  • Planet of Twilight (Star Wars)
  • Assault at Selonia (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #2)
  • The Crystal Star (Star Wars)
  • Darksaber (Star Wars)
  • Tatooine Ghost (Star Wars)
  • Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7)
  • Refugee (Force Heretic, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #16)
  • The Truce at Bakura (Star Wars)
  • Rebel Stand (Enemy Lines, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #12)
  • Hero's Trial (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #4)
  • Hard Merchandise (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #3)
  • Survivor's Quest (Star Wars)
Kristine Kathryn Rusch is an award-winning mystery, romance, science fiction, and fantasy writer. She has written many novels under various names, including Kristine Grayson for romance, and Kris Nelscott for mystery. Her novels have made the bestseller lists –even in London– and have been published in 14 countries and 13 different languages.

Her awards range from the Ellery Queen Readers Choice Aw
More about Kristine Kathryn Rusch...

Star Wars Universe (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • Red Harvest
  • Star Wars: Knight Errant
  • Jedi vs. Sith
  • Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
  • Secrets of the Jedi
  • The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Darth Maul
  • Cloak of Deception (Star Wars)
  • The Truce at Bakura (Star Wars)
  • Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Star Wars)