Star Wars: The New Rebellion

Star Wars: The New Rebellion (Star Wars Universe)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  3,838 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Award-winning author Kristine Kathryn Rusch brings her remarkable talents to the Star Wars(r) universe, where the New Republic faces sudden and total annihilation....

Somewhere in the galaxy, millions suddenly perish--a disruption of the Force so shocking it is felt by Luke at his Jedi academy and by Leia on Coruscant.While Leia must deal with an assassination attempt, a ru...more
Published October 1st 1997 by Bantam Spectra (first published November 1st 1996)

Kevis Hendrickson
Of all the countless Star Wars novels that have been released, Kristine Kathyrn Rusch's The New Rebellion feels as though it really is one of the films. In fact, this book seems more like a Star Wars movie than some of the films themselves. I've read nearly all of the Star Wars expanded universe novels including the film adaptations and can personally vouch for this title. The New Rebellion is superb! Although I won't say it is the best Star Wars novel there is (it isn't), it is the ONLY novel t...more
Jessica
Definitely one of my favorite Star Wars pieces. It's dark, it's innovative, and it's fast-paced - a surprisingly good read for sci-fi.
Crystal Starr Light
Luke and Leia feel a disturbance just moments before the great Senate Hall explodes. Luke senses that Brakiss, one of his former students turned Dark has something to do with it, and he leaves to seek him out. Han, who had been meeting with a smuggler with apparent knowledge of the explosion, leaves for Smuggler's Run to learn more about this plot, leaving Leia at home to protect Han from negative implications and to balance the power held precariously by the former Imperial senators who now pop...more
Ron
Not a bad SW story, but they're so repetitive. All the usual folks going through the same motions. Little growth or change. That's the trouble with this kind of fiction, of course, if someone introduces something genuinely unique, it throws off everyone else.

Leia chiding herself for not doing Jedi drills is about as tiresome as whats-her-name pulling her braid in that other endless stream of stories (the Wheel of Time).

The biggest disconnect was Rusch's portrayal of the Force has a matter of pe...more
Sebastien
Dec 10, 2011 Sebastien rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Fan de Star Wars
Recommended to Sebastien by: Sc Fiction Book club
Shelves: star-wars
Avec ma commande de Shadow of the Empire j'ai commander 2 autre livres: New Rebellion et Corellian Trilogy.

Je dois dire qu'après avoir lu Shadow of the Empire, la commande était sévère que d'avoir un roman aussi satisfaisant. De par ma critique vous croierez que ce ne fut pas le cas, mais je dois dire que j'ai lu ce roman en 2 semaine et que ce fut une de mes lecture les plus rapide à l'époque.

Pourquoi ai-je donc coté ce livre 3* seulement, c'est parce que ce qui m'a pousser à en lire plus c'est...more
HeavyReader
Dec 03, 2013 HeavyReader rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Star Wars geeks
Shelves: sciencefiction
I got this book from the free shelf outside St. John's Rummage House, and I'm reading it during a drug study. I am actually enjoying it, although science fiction doesn't tend to be my favorite genre.

This book was great for drug study reading. It was mind candy, but not such total fluff that it didn't require any of my attention. It was definitely plot--and not character--driven. I don't think any of the characters developed in any way, but the plot kept me interested. It wasn't a book where I kn...more
Kim
This is, in my humble opinion, the best Star Wars book there is. I'm not sure what exactly is is about this book that pleases me so intensely, but here's a few ideas: It has some of the best Han and Leia scenes ever written, it has a fantastic scene involving Luke, Jacen, Jaina and Anakin, it's a great showcase into how the relationship has developed between Luke and Leia and how much each will risk for the other, and it's got a genuinely exciting plot and a really scary bad guy. Rusch's descrip...more
Yves
Ce livre se passe 17 ans après l'Épisode 4. Un méchant nommé kueller décide de faire exploser le sénat, ce qui entrainera plusieurs morts. Luke Skywalker enquêtera pour savoir qui est ce Kueller. Il se rendra vite compte que c'est un de ses anciens élèves de l'Académie de Jedi.

Ce livre est vraiment ridicule. Le début avec l'attentat au sénat est bien mais c'est après que ça se gâte. Il y a plein de stupidité dans ce livre. Luke a de la difficulté à se défendre contre des genres de bulles roses q...more
Amanda Kay
Sep 16, 2012 Amanda Kay rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Star Wars Fans
I don't understand why this book is liked so much by other reviews. In my opinion it is not anywhere near the best SW novel out there. There are problems with the story. Some things are just silly and yes the author repeats things with NO originality! It was worth reading but it's not the best by any means in my eyes. My full review can be found at my blog here...
Bret
For the most part, this was a decent Star Wars story. Well, until the ending.

My main grievance with this book is how Luke, once again, comes off looking like a weak Jedi. He almost dies about four times throughout the book. It is clear that no author, to date, has any clue how to handle the Luke version of the story. For the only living Jedi Master, Luke is portrayed as barely a Force novice.
Siria
The plot is seriously sub-standard, even for something in this series, and there are times when Rusch works in lines from the original movies that I would pay good money to see no-one ever use again (starting with "I've got a bad feeling about this" and working from there). The characterisation is better than normal, though, and it's passably well-written - putting it far above the normal run of single volume SW books. About the level of an average fanfic, really.
Shaun
Kegel
This book was sufficiently enjoyable to read and that's why I give it 3 stars.
There are really some logic problems in the plot though. What made it totally feel like fanfiction were the silly cliffhangers that ended almost every chapter. It doesn't do anything for tension if you pretend for the 30th time at the end of a chapter that everybody is going to die and there are still 24 chapters to go.
Kristina
I couldn't put it down, which hasn't happened to me in a Star Wars book since the Thrawn Trilogy. The style kept me wanting to read more and more. The characters were nicely done, as was dialog and details. I loved it. The mystery behind the events were interesting, but the main 'bad guy' failed to seem as frightening as he should have. Still, it was a very enjoyable read.
Zekkaina (LadyDragonKeeper)
May 18, 2011 Zekkaina (LadyDragonKeeper) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Star Wars Fans
Shelves: my-books, star-wars
*Not a review, just some thoughts* It's been years since I read this one, so I don't remember a whole lot from it ... As a "Young Jedi Knights" fan, it was interesting to see some of the origins of Brakiss. I don't remember anything I really liked or disliked in this novel ... I'll have to read it again sometime and see.
John
Found this book in a box of stuff I was planning to get rid of and thought I'd read it before selling/disposing of it. Not worth my time. Book had an interesting start, but I felt myself quickly losing interest in it as the story progressed. If you're going to read a Star Wars book, stick with Timothy Zahn.
Patrickderaaff
Great book! I would have given it 5 stars, if not for the story on Smuggler's Run, which bored me. The rest of the book is excellent. Everybody is acting like themselves for a change (what a relief)! Compliments to Rusch for making this feel very much like an actual Star Wars book.
Eric Moreno
Richard Houchin
I read a lot of Star Wars novels in Jr. High. It took a few dozen books before I realized many of them just weren't all that stellar. Ah, well, I'll squirrel away the memories on the internet and free up a book shelf.

Mark
One-off book with a menace that goes for shock value and doesn't really succeed, is wrapped up just within these pages and is never really mentioned again. Another of the forgotten SW EU books, and probably for good reason.
Callista
The plot and character interactions were fine and entertaining enough. But this one does contain the most uncharacteristic bit of Han Solo dialogue I've ever seen ("Have you any droids there?"). "?"
Sori Fant
This was a pretty good star wars book. It had a interesting plot that wasn't too predictable. I wasn't exactly thrilled with it, just enjoyed it. Just a one time read.
Wesley
I can't remember much from this one....I remember the ones that I hated and the ones that I like, so obviously this one is in the middle. Sorry, pointless review. :P
Lisa
Finally, a Star Wars book that didn't betray the characters, had great action, and a decent villain. Loved Artoo's role in this book, and was happy to see Wedge again :D
Lindsey
A tense, past-comes-back-to-haunt-you SW book. One of the rare stand alone Star Wars novels, definitely worth the time of Star Wars fans.
Damon
Not bad, a little dated compared to current SW fiction. Also minor differences compared to revelations from the prequels.
Mauri
Not bad. I really enjoy the beginning, but it kind of goes downhill from there. Another Star Wars book stolen from Careless Boy.
Donsmaniac
another turkey to avoid wish i could say i enjoyed this book but the times i have read it i just found it boring.
Mike Elliott
Luke really gets messed up in this book by all sorts of stuff going wrong yet still holds his own.
Jessica
I didn't like the book when I originally read it, and I didn't like it with a second read-through.
  • Before the Storm (Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis, #1)
  • Planet of Twilight (Star Wars)
  • Assault at Selonia (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #2)
  • Darksaber (Star Wars)
  • The Crystal Star (Star Wars)
  • Slave Ship (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #2)
  • Rebirth (Edge of Victory, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #8)
  • Hero's Trial (Agents of Chaos, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #4)
  • Refugee (Force Heretic, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #16)
  • The Swarm War (Star Wars: Dark Nest, #3)
  • Rebel Stand (Enemy Lines, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #12)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • Tales from the Empire (Star Wars)
  • Onslaught (Dark Tide, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #2)
Kristine Kathryn Rusch is an award-winning mystery, romance, science fiction, and fantasy writer. She has written many novels under various names, including Kristine Grayson for romance, and Kris Nelscott for mystery. Her novels have made the bestseller lists –even in London– and have been published in 14 countries and 13 different languages.

Her awards range from the Ellery Queen Readers Choice Aw...more
More about Kristine Kathryn Rusch...
The Disappeared (Retrieval Artist, #1) Diving into the Wreck (Diving Universe, #1) Extremes (Retrieval Artist, #2) Consequences (Retrieval Artist, #3) The Sacrifice (The Fey #1)