Start by marking “Anthony Trollope” as Want to Read:
Anthony Trollope

Anthony Trollope

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In this lively, affectionate, and compellingly readable biography, Victoria Glendinning, the greatly admired literary biographer (of Rebecca West, Vita Sackville-West, Edith Sitwell, and Elizabeth Bowen), gives us for the first time a woman's intuitive view of Anthony Trollope. She brings to her story of this legendary writer a fresh emphasis on family, particularly on Tro ...more
Published October 18th 1994 by Random House Value Publishing (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Anthony Trollope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anthony Trollope

Georgiana by Amanda ForemanSamuel Pepys by Claire TomalinA Life of Picasso by John RichardsonMatisse the Master by Hilary SpurlingMy Heart is My Own by John Guy
Costa/Whitbread Biography Award Winners
18th out of 34 books — 14 voters
Will in the World by Stephen GreenblattCharles Dickens by Claire TomalinI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouMemoirs of a Dutiful Daughter by Simone de BeauvoirConfessions by Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Literary biographies
165th out of 244 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

Vicky
An excellent and entertaining biography. There are a few things I learned about Trollope that I'd rather not have known -- his passion for fox-hunting, for example, which is inexplicable and inexcusable. But in general the biography made me want to read more of his novels. And there are plenty of them to read! What demons of productivity those Victorians were.
Christopher Sutch
This biography offers much in the way of describing everyday Victorian life and manners, but Glendinning's methodology for uncovering the "real" Anthony Trollope--reading his life from his fiction--is questionable at best, and useless at worst (several times she says the equivalent of, "I can't prove this incident in his novel actually happened to Trollope himself, but I know it did"). It does make me look forward to reading Trollope's novels, though.
Sarah Harkness
Very well written, I love the way she uses excerpts from the novels to explore the characters she is writing about. Somehow Trollope seems much larger, louder and rougher than I imagined - how does someone who lived that life write so beautifully about women? although, obviously, Lily Dale is very annoying!
"He was honest and true. But in the virtual reality of his fiction, he was a free man.'
Malini Sridharan
Gives insight into the period and some other interesting characters as it tells the story of Anthony Trollope. It also functions as a spotty history of the British post. Many quotes from his fiction are used to elaborate on his views and moods. The one drawback is that Glendinning jumps around in time occasionally, which can be confusing.
Mary Jane
AN Excellent biography
David Penn
David Penn marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
S.f.
S.f. marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
qtasha
qtasha marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Lindsey Strachan
Lindsey Strachan marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Librarianlady
Librarianlady marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Mumbler
Mumbler marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Yesi
Yesi marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
J David
J David marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Dawn Dorsey
Dawn Dorsey marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
British biographer, critic, broadcaster and novelist. She is President of English PEN, a winner of the James Tait Black Memorial Prize, was awarded a CBE in 1998 and is Vice-president of the Royal Society of Literature.

Glendinning read modern languages at Oxford and and worked as a teacher and social worker before becoming an editorial assistant for the Times Literary Supplement in 1974.

She has m
More about Victoria Glendinning...
Vita: The Life of Vita Sackville-West Leonard Woolf: A Biography Electricity Elizabeth Bowen Raffles and the Golden Opportunity