Start by marking “The Belton Estate” as Want to Read:
The Belton Estate

The Belton Estate

First published in 1865, The Belton Estate is concerned with the plight of unmarried, impecunious women in the 19th century. A novel rich in psychological insights, this is a love story, but one of unusual proportions in a Trollope novel.
Published May 29th 2008 by BiblioLife (first published 1866)

To ask other readers questions about The Belton Estate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Belton Estate

Jane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeDracula by Bram StokerGreat Expectations by Charles Dickens
Victorian novels
117th out of 209 books — 365 voters
Wuthering Heights by Emily BrontëNorthanger Abbey by Jane AustenMansfield Park by Jane AustenHowards End by E.M. ForsterAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
The Armchair Traveler's Guide to Abodes of Literature
81st out of 193 books — 67 voters

More lists with this book...

Elizabeth (Alaska)
I was surprised to see this grouped with Trollope's Comic Novels. Trollope's style is often laced with light sarcasm so that it is hard to say that any of them are absent of humor. He does poke some fun at the potential mother-in-law who is grossly overbearing and will not be seen in public without her "false" - her wig. But nothing else sticks out and he deals with two other subjects that are not humorous.

Clara Amedroz is to be left destitute because her brother Charles was a wastrel whose fath
Jane
Mar 01, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
I belong to the Anthony Trollope Society on Facebook. The Belton Estate was picked as one of the favorites by many, so I thought I would read it.

Like every Trollope novel I have ever read, the characters are so well portrayed by the author that you feel you inhabit each one as you read.

There were many plotlines here: the typical love triangle, the intriguing rebellion of Clara who refuses to eschew the friendship of a woman with a scandalous past, the embarrassment of Clara when she realizes s
Mitchell
Nov 01, 2014 Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Alas, only 18 more Trollope novels to go! Oh well, I guess I can start all over again with the Barset series. Would that be so bad?

The Belton Estate is full of the pleasures that I have come to expect from a Trollope novel. Leisurely but engaging storytelling, vivid characters, both lovable and detestable. Has there ever been a more detestable prospective mother-in-law than the monstrous Lady Aylmer? No, there has not.

What struck me again while reading this is how so many of Trollope's virginal
Nancy
Sep 27, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it
Writing The Belton Estate in 1865, Anthony Trollope gives us a picture of the customs of the times in England. When he writes of people's relationships and how a young woman feels being pursued by two men who profess to love her, he might as well be writing about now.
Trollope's personalities and emotions are still the same. What is quite different is, not so much the style of writing, but the fact he uses full and complete sentences, which are more difficult to find among the contemporary writ
Apryl Anderson
Oct 25, 2011 Apryl Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trollope was pure genius at matching Victorian social quirks with timeless characters, putting them all together in various country houses, adding a few excursions and city business matters, and coming up with a crisis that can only be resolved by the pure heart overcoming her (and his) fatal flaws. I regret that I hadn't had this wisdom at Clara's tender age...
Carolyn Geason
Excellent characters, but one is well aware of the final outcome by the first few chapters, thus making the climax and finale quite expected. Nonetheless, it was enjoyable and a great exposé on human psychology and character development.
Peter Fullilove
Dec 30, 2014 Peter Fullilove rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"a stupid book, without a single thought or idea in it-a sort of mental pabulum"
Jem Bloomfield
Apr 13, 2016 Jem Bloomfield rated it really liked it
A classic Trollope in many ways - there's an entail, there are two suitors, there's a woman with a secret past, there's haughtiness and misunderstanding, there are awkward details about precisely how far you should go to keep a family property together.

I rather prefer Trollope - like Sayers or Marsh - when he's dealing with people who aren't The Most Important Statesman Of His Generation, or the heights of the aristocracy. Whilst he never gets to the level of grit or grimness of Gissing, he's go
MrsRK
Jun 17, 2016 MrsRK rated it it was amazing
This is so far my favorite Trollope book. This is the story of the people involved on an entailed estate: with the death of the father, Mr. Amedroz, it would go to a male relation, William Belton, instead of his daughter, Clara. The heroin is Clara, who “had already passed her twenty-fifth birthday,” which made her near spinsterhood. I sometimes felt like giving her a few good slaps, but her indecision and stubbornness actually added some zest to the story. Will Belton is the cousin to whom the ...more
Patty
Dec 31, 2015 Patty rated it really liked it
I've never actually read any Trollope before, despite having constantly heard him recommended. A quick google suggests that this probably wasn't the best one to have started with, but ah well. I'd picked it up years ago at a second-hand book store, and needed to read it to get it off my shelf.

In 1860s rural England, a low-end gentry woman named Clara has recently discovered that she's about to be very poor. Her brother should have inherited the family estate, but instead he killed himself, and
Pgchuis
Sep 08, 2015 Pgchuis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clara's brother ruins the family financially and then commits suicide. On her father's death she will be left penniless and Will Belton, a distant cousin, will inherit. Will comes to visit and wins her and her father over with his cheerful honesty and goodness. He falls in love with Clara and proposes, but she refuses as she loves Captain Aylmer. She goes on to become engaged to Captain Aylmer, but soon comes to draw unfavourable comparisons between Aylmer's cool calculation and lack of passion ...more
Lynn Kear
Jun 04, 2015 Lynn Kear rated it liked it
It probably didn't help that I read this book after finishing Orley Farm.

One of the biggest problems with this book is that Trollope's female characters are usually deep and layered like Lady Mason in Orley Farm. However, Clara, the heroine of Belton Estate, is bland, shallow, and maddening. It's obvious which suitor Clara should chose, but she stupidly pursues the cold, aloof guy until I no longer cared what happened to her--or anyone else.

Another problem is that Trollope's novels have interest
Christina Dudley
Apr 25, 2016 Christina Dudley rated it really liked it
Ha! I got annoyed again reading another 2% of THE NIGHTINGALE and therefore switched over to Trollope, who is always a comfort read for me. THE BELTON ESTATE was no exception. With any Trollope book you're guaranteed interesting, rounded characters, a good romance, a not-too-harrowing conflict, and at least two laugh-out-loud moments. This particular novel features a strong heroine courted by two very different men. If men can inherit estates and money, what can women inherit? Will Clara be able ...more
Ange
Jul 19, 2011 Ange rated it really liked it
Excerpt I found of interest:

Now she would put aside all that (her independence), and let him know that she recognized him her lord and master as well as husband...would have been wise resolutions but for this flaw--that the stronger was submitting itself to the waeker, the greater to the less, the more honest to the less honest, that which was nearly true to that which was in great part false. The theory of man and wife--that special theory in accordance with which the wife is to bend herself in
Lucy
Apr 27, 2014 Lucy rated it it was amazing
This is not as discursive as many of Trollope's other novels - there is really only the single plot, fewer characters than in many of his works, and less direct address to the reader. But his people are drawn with his usual unflinching accuracy, their virtues and their flaws analysed and exposed, so that by the end of the novel we feel we know real people. If you are interested in people, Trollope is a joy.
Carol
Mar 01, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent novel by Trollope. I still love to read his novels after all these years. Here, cold-hearted aristocracy is contrasted against the idea of the honest, old-fashioned gentleman farme. Belton of Belton is our passionate hero who waits endlessly for the consummation of his love. There is also an interesting side-plot here, which is a revisiting of the plot of Anne Bronte's great novel.
Julie Bye
Mar 20, 2016 Julie Bye rated it really liked it
The Belton Estate reflects Trollope's concern with the plight of young women who were not to inherit in the 1800s. His heroine is determined not to be forced into marriage by her circumstances. Trollope's writing is very reminiscent of Jane Austen. If you like Austen you'll love his work His autobiography says he wrote by formula, however this novel seems less contrived than some of his other works. If you like Jane Austen you'll love this novel.
Jennifer Griffith
Mar 17, 2008 Jennifer Griffith rated it it was amazing
Clara Amedroz is one of my favorite heroines. I loved her strength through the typical Trollopian struggle of choosing between suitors. As always, in his novels, the physical descriptions of the surroundings are lush, and the characters are all filled out to a wonderful degree. This was one of my favorite Trollope novels (and that says a lot, as I consider myself quite a fan.)
K.
Apr 07, 2013 K. rated it really liked it
Vintage Trollope.
Did get very tired of the heroine's inability to make the correct decision although I know that feeling is based on modern morality. Was delightful despite that. Great characters as usual.
N A
Feb 03, 2015 N A rated it liked it
I would love to know what Trollope would have done with this story if he had not been forced to serialize it. The last 100 pages killed the novel's pacing and made Clara unsympathetic. Still, an enjoyable read.
Marvin
Oct 30, 2013 Marvin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic
Clara, Clara wherefore art thou dear Clara. What a wonderful, manifoldly introspective story. Much wry humor, my favorite kind. I do believe Margaret Mitchell must have read The Belton Estate before writing GWTW. There are striking similarities of character. Clara:Scarlett. Will:Rhett.
Alice
May 12, 2013 Alice rated it did not like it
Could not finish it. This was not one of the author's favorites and I can see why. Practically unreadable.
Laura Leilani
Apr 14, 2016 Laura Leilani rated it really liked it
Not anywhere near Trollope's best, it was a straightforward romance, well written but without any deep philosophical insights.
Shifra
Jan 20, 2014 Shifra rated it it was amazing
I love all Trollope, and was excited to come across one I hadn't read before. It's a bit sparklier than some other books of his, almost Austen-like.
Douglas
Douglas rated it really liked it
May 01, 2015
Ricki
Ricki rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Teresue
Teresue rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2011
Larry J.
Larry J. rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Mary Marshall
Mary Marshall rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Sue Nielsen
Sue Nielsen rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Exploring Anthony...: The Belton Estate 1 2 Dec 17, 2013 10:12AM
  • The Perpetual Curate (Chronicles of Carlingford, #4)
  • Trollope
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • The Egoist
  • The Wrong Box
  • The Duke's Daughter
  • A Modern Comedy
  • The History of Pendennis: His Fortunes And Misfortunes, His Friends And His Greatest Enemy
  • The Nether World
  • The Spoils of Poynton
  • Deerbrook
  • Complete Works of Thomas Hardy
  • The Touchstone
  • Charles Dickens
  • Basil
  • The Lifted Veil / Brother Jacob (Oxford World's Classics)
  • The Semi-Attached Couple and the Semi-Detached House
  • Clayhanger
20524
Anthony Trollope became one of the most successful, prolific and respected English novelists of the Victorian era. Some of Trollope's best-loved works, known as the Chronicles of Barsetshire, revolve around the imaginary county of Barsetshire; he also wrote penetrating novels on political, social, and gender issues and conflicts of his day.

Trollope has always been a popular novelist. Noted fans ha
More about Anthony Trollope...