Getting Away is Deadly (A Mom Zone Mystery, #3)

Getting Away is Deadly (A Mom Zone Mystery #3)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  371 ratings  ·  50 reviews
The third title in Rosett's delightful, family-oriented cozy series again features the indomitable Ellie Avery--military wife and mom, expert organizer, and engaging sleuth.
Published April 1st 2008 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Getting Away is Deadly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Away is Deadly

Melissa
I love mysteries, and this book was free on my kindle, so it was an easy selection. Overall, it was a fast read-before-you-go-to-sleep kind of book, but the little organizational tips at the end of every chapter seemed completely random. I have seen this type of thing done in books before, but typically there is some relevance to themes or connection to issues raised in the chapter, but here they were simply unrelated and a bit distracting.
Kelley
Had a hard time getting into this one. I really don't like when the characters in the book take vacations. For some reason leaving the comfort of their towns and homes makes me not like the book as much. I basically skimmed the last few chapters and really didn't care who did it. Luckily, it was a library book, so I was only out some time. If I continue the series, the last two are also in my local library, so I can get them there.
Rachel Bussel
I'm a new reader of the Mom Zone mysteries, and while I'm reading them out of order, it's not been a problem. Ellie is a personal organizer and mom of one, with another on the way, looking forward to sightseeing in Washington, DC and waiting to find out where she and her military husband, Mitch, will be based next. She soon finds herself at a Metro station where someone is pushed onto the tracks and dies, and her sister-in-law Summer is implicated. She also winds up having to do an extremely fas...more
Chris
Overall just kind of ...meh... I didn't really get in to many of the characters or the plot much. But hey, it was a free kindle book so I aint complainin'.
Vicky
Granted I am barely into the first chapter but I am already questioning the intelligence of the writer just putting things into the story just to make a story. What I mean is,why would one hire a "boutique" tour guide, Wesseley, who merely gets the tourists to the Metro system to the Capitol building and then the Capitol tour guide provides the tour then the group meets up with Wesseley after the Capitol tour to get back to the Metro system? Why does this make any sense? And why would Wesseley s...more
Rhonda
I enjoyed reading and now want to read others in the series. Ellie and mitch were going to have a vacation together. Had her parents to take the 3 yr old and dog to dogcare camp. When the airforce decided Mitch should take some training in Washington DC. So Ellie decided to cash in thier airlines tickets and go with Mitch. Her good friend Abby and her husband was going to the same training. So the airforce wives got together and hired a tour guide to show them what subway stations to get on and...more
Dee
This was a nice, easy enjoyable read. The story line had quite a few twists and turns that kept my interest. Ellie Avery is vacationing in Washington,DC. While sightseeing with other military wives whose husbands are attending training classes, Ellie finds herself witnessing a possible murder.
Ellie’s sister-in-law, Summer, is a suspect in the murder and Ellie can’t leave well enough alone, so she starts her own investigation to the possible murder. Although pregnant, she doesn’t let that stop he...more
Maria (Ri)
Here is the review I did for Armchair Interviews:

Can't a mom just get away for a little relaxing vacation with her husband? Not if you are Ellie Avery, military spouse and amateur detective! In this third book in the Mom Zone mystery series, Ellie finds herself in the middle of another murder mystery when vacationing in Washington D.C. While her husband attends a military training, a pregnant Ellie tours the capital with the other military wives, only to witness a murder. Did a murder actually t...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Ellie Avery, and her best friend, Abby are in Washington D.C. with their husbands that are taking classes for the Air Force. Both friends are pregnant and what was enjoyable was the fact this situation wasn't over done.

There is a murder during the trip on the Metro-line. A man is pushed off onto the tracks. In a twist of fate, Ellie finds her Sister-in-law involved in the case. In fact, there are all sorts of lie, mysteries, and strange behavior going on that makes Ellie wish she was safely back...more
Steve
Getting Away is Deadly is a little bit hard to describe, but I would call it a young reader mystery novel for adults. For adults just due to some of the subject matter that would probably not make a lot of sense to many younger readers.

I find it refreshing to read a novel that is appropriate for younger readers but targeted at adult readers. It seems to be increasingly difficult to find such books out there.

The reason for three stars instead of four or five is simply that the story isn't that ex...more
I had a hard time getting into this book. I really disliked the travel tips at the end of each chapter--perhaps because it was a kindle format, even though they were totally unrelated to the content, it seemed like part of the story the way they were presented.
Maam
Teresa
"Getting Away is Deadly" by Sara Rosett, is great. Could not put it down. In this cozy mystery Ellie and the other military wifes go on a little vacation to D.C. ; while their pilot husbands attend classes. Ellie going to look up Jay MacInalley, serve in the military with her uncle to get some answers for her cousin Debbie.
While in D.C., Ellie sister in law, is suspect in pushing a man in the metro station. MacInalley get beat up. So, Ellie get to work trying to prove that Summer did not kill so...more
Rebecca
Jan 10, 2014 Rebecca added it
Shelves: 2014, cozy-mystery, nook
Possible Spoiler....

I'm unsure how to rate this book, while I started off really enjoying the storyline, it took a turn that I have major issues with..terroism, and 9/11. I find it hard to enjoy anything that even in fiction refers to these topics. So I guess what I will say is while I typically enjoy this series and enjoy Sara Rosetts books, this particular one was not for me..
Marie
Getting Away Is Deadly is the third in a mystery series featuring military wife Ellie and was a fun read.

Ellie and her husband are in DC for specialized air force training that he is attending. While supposed to be part of a tour group with the other military wives, she ends up investigating to clear her sister from allegations of pushing someone to their death in the Metro. In the process, she becomes the next target of the killer.

I plan to purchase the earlier books in the series soon and then...more
Stacy
Cute little cozy mystery that I got free for my Kindle. It was very clean, really what a cozy should be (no language, sex or violence). Apparently it's part of a series, but I definitely read it as a stand-alone book just fine. Ellie is a military wife, on a semi-vacation with her husband in Washington DC (while he's in a training seminar). She and some of her friends take a sight-seeing tour and on the first day, witness a man being pushed to his death at a Metro stop. Funny, but Ellie has seen...more
Stephanie
Ellie Avery isn’t barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, but she is pregnant, and stands little hope of putting up her feet any time soon. Despite being an organisational guru–Ellie runs a tidying business called Everything in its Place–Ellie finds herself dealing with the unanticipated more often than not. And unfortunately the unanticipated usually involves dead bodies. So much for everything being in its place. Read the rest of this review here
Desley (Cat fosterer)
This was an OK read, few things get kept repeated that I got a bit frustrated with. Interesting mystery though, didn't guess the ending.
Kristen
Two years ago, I won this book from a contest from this very egroup. Now I've read it after a long wait and enjoyed it immensely. This is the third book in the Mom Zone series, when Ellie Avery and her husband Mitch are in D.C., not really on vacation, but part of his training class. During their stay in D.C., they witnessed someone being pushed off the platform, when someone frames Ellie's sister-in-law Summer. It's up to Ellie and her friends find out what happened and what's going on, before...more
Della Barker
Another cozy mystery that I enjoyed
Jim Crigler
This is well-conceived story, told from an interesting point of view. I as it worked its way up to moments in which revelations were made, I found myself predicting them before I read them. The first time this happened, I was pleased with my sagacity, but when it kept happening, I realized it was due to the writing technique.

Just as with my book, the characters are drawn from types well-known to the author, and the distinct personalities lent realism to the plot.

Quibble: I sometimes couldn't tel...more
Angel
I think I might have gotten about 10% into this one. Can't stand the main character, can't stand her pregnancy issues. Don't care about her military husband or his assignment. The sights they're visiting in DC are the most interesting part, but I've been there enough to not need to read about them. I may come back to this someday...but I doubt it.

Okay - I finished the book. There were random mentions of her pregnancy, in case we forgot, but she did not have the baby during this book. It was oka...more
Larisha
I like how Sara Rosett writes, clean and like a Mom. Guess that's why her mysteries are called "Mom Zone Mysteries".

Ellie the main character is pregnant in this book,she is a military wife and they are in Washington, D.C. as her husband does F.R.O.T. Ellie is in the wrong place at the wrong time and is able to put 1 clue on top of another to help her sister in law, who becomes the police's primary suspect.

A lot of twists and turns and just clean suspense.
Chaun
I got this book free on my Kindle. I needed a light, exciting read this week to keep my mind from other things and this book filled the bill. The characters were likeable and the storyline entertaining. I did feel there were way too many coincidences where multiple threads in the main character's life became entertwined and some slightly implausible situations. Regardless, I will probably read other books in this series.
Barb
Always a fun read with an unexpected twist at the end. Sara Rosett includes organizational hints at the end of each chapter which correspond to the basic theme of the book...this one was full of vacation hints. The description of various Washington, D.C. monuments and landmarks brought back the emotions I felt when I first saw them. As to the mystery, what we see and what we think we see can be two very different things!
MiriLou
Kindle freebie. Enjoyable mystery story centered around a military wife who is a professional organizer. Her sister is suspected in a murder and digging around for clues gets her in precarious situations. Every few chapters is a list of tips for traveling which broke up the flow of the story and were just common sense things so I could have done without that. Good summer read though.
Karolinde (Kari)
Perhaps my favorite part of these books is that the military stuff just feels familiar and right. That and Ellie is addicted to Hershey kisses.

I will admit that I never saw the connections here. Granted, the clues are sparse and you really have to be able to pick up on connections quickly, but the ending is truly fun and reminds me of my first times reading Agatha Christie.
Amee
I actually really liked this book. It was humorous, witty, the main character is a typical mom stuck in a mystery. It was an easy read that held my attention. I only chose 3 stars because I didn't think I would ever choose to buy this book (it was free on my kindle). It was too much "fluff" and not much "meat" for my personal taste.
Julia
Aug 07, 2011 Julia added it
another free book i downloaded onto my kindle to read whilst doing the late night feeds. Quick and easy to read and I guess quite enoyable. Bit confusing at times but maybe just seemed like that as tired when reading it. Not sure that will bother reading any more in this series though - dont like the americanisms in them!
  • Mama Does Time (A Mace Bauer Mystery #1)
  • Murder a la Mode (Savannah Reid, #10)
  • Disturbed Earth
  • June Bug (Murder-by-Month Mystery #2)
  • Scared Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #2)
  • The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen (Dix Dodd Mystery, #1)
  • The Shepherd
  • Lye in Wait (Home Crafting Mystery, #1)
  • As the Crow Dies
  • Antiques Roadkill (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #1)
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • Eye of the God
  • I, Spy? (Sophie Green Mystery, #1)
  • Paid In Blood (NCIS, #1)
  • One O'Clock Jump: A Dorie Lennox Mystery
  • Truth and Consequences (Hearts of the South, #1)
  • No Fear
A native Texan, Sara writes mysteries (the Ellie Avery series) and suspense (the On The Run series). As a military spouse, Sara has moved around the country (frequently!) and traveled internationally, which inspired her latest suspense novels. Publishers Weekly called Sara’s books, "satisfying," "well-executed," and "sparkling."

The first Ellie Avery mystery, MOVING IS MURDER, was a Reader's Choic...more
More about Sara Rosett...
Elusive (On The Run, #1) Moving is Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery, #1) Staying Home is a Killer (A Mom Zone Mystery, #2) Magnolias, Moonlight, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery #4) Mint Juleps, Mayhem, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery, #5)