Start by marking “Free to Be Bound: Church Beyond the Color Line” as Want to Read:
Free to Be Bound: Church Beyond the Color Line

Free to Be Bound: Church Beyond the Color Line

Despite Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove's progressive worldview, he was unaware of the invisible borders separating neighborhood churches in the New South. Then, as a political candidate, he began to reach out to the black community, including a dynamic church. What he discovered forever transformed his view of the body of Christ.
Published February 5th 2008 by NavPress

To ask other readers questions about Free to Be Bound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Free to Be Bound

Stephen Case
Jun 15, 2016 Stephen Case rated it liked it
It's undeniable that we have a history of racial oppression in the United States. But in the context of personal salvation and personal responsibility, so it goes in the mind of many, we need to just let this go, move beyond it, maybe even stop dwelling on it and discussing it so much. Blacks and whites, the argument is sometimes made (usually in white evangelical circles), have opportunities that are theoretically equal and cultures that are different. The fact that we worship differently, in d ...more
Jamie Howison
Sep 12, 2015 Jamie Howison rated it really liked it
Jonathan once told me that he wasn't convinced that this book entirely "worked," but I have to say that I respectfully disagree... it does work, largely because it is written not only out of first-hand experiences but also from the hand of one who is deeply informed politically, socially and theologically.
Natalie Bullis
Jul 15, 2015 Natalie Bullis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
This book wrecked me and brought me back to life. I needed a book about racial reconciliation from the guidelines of scripture and how we're all in this together. No matter how bad it gets. God used this book in this season in my life. I recommend you read it. I was challenged deeply by its words and ideas. Praise God that we are free to be bound together in Jesus. For He is freedom and the Way.
Drick
Apr 13, 2008 Drick rated it it was amazing
Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove's reflections as a white person joining a black church and living and becoming part of a black community in Durham, NC. - Very insightful
Julie
Jonathan's own journey from Klan country to a pre-dominantly Black church (he's white).
JD Mechelke
Aug 06, 2013 JD Mechelke rated it really liked it
A necessary read for suburban Christianity.
Jasmine
Jasmine rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Haley Olson
Haley Olson marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Melani Moore
Melani Moore rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Emily Swartz
Emily Swartz rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Tommy Speirs
Tommy Speirs marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it liked it
May 05, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Matthew Gillette
Matthew Gillette marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Matt Gatner
Matt Gatner rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Kenesa
Kenesa marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Alexneil2112
Alexneil2112 marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Laura Sorrells
Laura Sorrells marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Jay Davis
Jay Davis marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
James
James rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Nathan Long
Nathan Long rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Sherri
Sherri marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014