Start by marking “In This Our Life” as Want to Read:
In This Our Life

In This Our Life

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  403 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Many of the earliest books, particularly those dating back to the 1900s and before, are now extremely scarce and increasingly expensive. We are republishing these classic works in affordable, high quality, modern editions, using the original text and artwork.
Published April 5th 1985 by Amereon Ltd (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about In This Our Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In This Our Life

VeeDawn
This is a Pulitzer Prize Winner for 1942. I suppose it shows the schism between the older generation following their duty and the younger generation searching for their own way to be happy. It doesn't have any really likeable characters. I almost stopped reading when the duty bound father, Asa, said he never had one happy moment in his life. Really? Not even one? That seems hard to believe.
I guess I developed my patience as I read about the two daughters, Stanley and Roy (why they had masculine
Ben
In This Our life was the Pulitzer for 1942 and is about an upper-class family in the Virginia, The Timberlakes. The father Asa and mother Lavinia have a emotionless marriages. Lavinia is a hypochondriac and spends most of the book in bed. They have two daughters with male names, Stanley and Roy. Roy is the oldest, sensible, her father's daughter and is married to Peter a surgeon. Stanley is a weak but pretty girl who has had everything done for her her entire life - given what she wants, protect ...more
Martha Johnson
This is apparently a bit of a classic and I had to order it from a Baltimore library from Annapolis. I found myself reading very quickly, skimming here and there, which tells me that the writing could have been tighter. We seemed to go over old ground repeatedly, but the novel is about Asa, a 60 year old man who is facing his life and hoping for some freedom. He's devoted to his family although his wife is ill and pretty sour; one daughter is selfish beyond belief and the other is only emerging ...more
Donna Jo Atwood
This book won the Pulitzer Prize for literature in 1942. I read it as part of the 2009 Spring Challenge.
in This Our Life takes place at the end of the Depression (or the beginning of the reader's depression, brought on be reading it). The characters are hopeless, the situation is hopeless, the dialogue is hopeless. Let's put a black binding on it and call it quits.
I didn't like this book!

Read 15.5 Reading Challenge
Kelly
I'm not sure I have ever hated a character the way I hated Stanley Timberlake.
---
Pulitzer winner from 1942.
Allison
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. However, there was something unsatisfying about the ending.
Agnes Mack
In This Our Life is one of the last Pulitzers I had left to read. It’s taken me this long because the book is out of print and there aren’t a ton of copies available. Really, this is not surprising given how utterly boring the book is.

There’s both a lot going on in the story and also not much of anything. I really just couldn’t muster two licks of giving a shit about these privileged, whiny characters. They did seem to be even more bored with their own lives than I was, which is saying something
Margaret
I vacillated between 3 and four stars. This novel consists mostly of the interior thoughts of the characters, although there is an arc to the plot. The characters ask a lot of internal questions - a device that grew old for me as nothing was ever answered. This novel is certainly depressing, and only a couple of the characters are likable. Stanley is a self-centered egoist who always gets the sympathy of her mother and uncle. Asa, the father, is the most sympathetic character, but is weak. The s ...more
Marty
The 1942 Pulitzer Prize novel, this book was yet another of the ones we have read that is decidedly deserving of the Prize. This was a tough read because the the emotions evoked - at times you both loved and hated the book. Some of the characters made you want to smack them - others filled you with empathy. Excellent, albeit somewhat painful read.
Betty Adams
Somber is the only adjective I can use to describe this tale of the post-Depression South. I didn't know whether to love the main character or shake him. I imagine it was ground-breaking in its day, but it depressed me.
Ashley
Of all of the Pulitzer novels I've read thus far, this was to me a weaker selection. Filled with mostly unlikable characters, many of whom self-medicate, in addition to two females with male names that I had a horrible time keeping straight, it was a book that I found to not be very engaging.
Steven
Winner of the 1942 Pulitzer for Novel. The book starts out slow and finally gets interesting in the last 100 pages. The book has an ending that leaves you asking for a few more details. What ultimately happened to the characters?
Nancy
Wonderful writing with beautifully drawn characters, but just too depressing for me to finish. I quite halfway through. I couldn't bear it.
Judi
Oh boy! I love the reviews. Just my sort of lemonade.
Sharon
I can see why this was given the Pulitzer.
Chris Wulferdingen
1942 Pulitzer prize winner--high drama--super fun read.
Roxanne Russell
Somewhat interesting story, not particularly well-told.
Nancie Smith
Nancie Smith marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Erica Schrag
Erica Schrag marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
rebecca burgess
rebecca burgess marked it as to-read
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Palak
Palak marked it as to-read
Rae
Rae marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Ltljohn
Ltljohn marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
  • The Store
  • Honey in the Horn
  • Scarlet Sister Mary
  • Early Autumn: A Story of a Lady
  • Years of Grace
  • The Able McLaughlins
  • Journey in the Dark
  • Dragon's Teeth I (World's End)
  • Guard of Honor
  • The Edge of Sadness
  • Laughing Boy: A Navajo Love Story
  • Elbow Room
aka Ellen Anderson Gholson Glasgow

Born into an upper-class Virginian family, Glasgow rebelled at an early age against traditional expectations of women, becoming a best-selling author of 20 novels, the last of which (In This Our Life) won a Pulitzer Prize in 1942.

The majority of her novels have Southern settings, reflecting her awareness of the enormous social and economic changes occuring in t
More about Ellen Glasgow...
Barren Ground The Sheltered Life Vein of Iron Virginia The Shadowy Third