Start by marking “The Twenty Dollar Bill” as Want to Read:
The Twenty Dollar Bill

The Twenty Dollar Bill

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Follow the path of a twenty dollar bill as it is stolen, given, spent or otherwise passed from person to person, traveling from place to place. No bombastic explosions, steamy sex scenes, political intrigue or cosmic encounters. Just slices of life from the people you walk by every day - glimpses into how ordinary people interact, how they think, how they feel and how they ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Published by You Lulu Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Twenty Dollar Bill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twenty Dollar Bill

Bonnie
I absolutely loved this book. I thought the premise was more than creative and the stories kept me engrossed from one to the next. This is the kind of book I will read again.

Elmore Hammes had a very creative idea and intriguing format for The Twenty Dollar Bill. The book follows a twenty dollar bill and each chapter is a glimpse into the life of the person in possession of said twenty dollar bill. I like to see how the bill changed hands as much as I like to hear about the holder's story. I adm
Jimmy Mcphink
Great book but may prove frustrating to some because it is pretty much a collection of short stories that cut off abruptly.

I really enjoyed this book. I liked the fact it showed small glimpses of so many lives & then just cut off because the money was passed on to someone else. Some might find this frustrating. Did they ever fall in love? Who won the game? Where did he get that wad of cash? etc. I'll give an example of what I mean. This story was not in the book but it should have been.

Let's
Gina Fedon
I love this book, both for the original subject -- the life of a $20 bills as it travels from person to person -- but also for the slices of human life portrayed without any trace of judgement on the author's part.

What I find particularly effective is how each story intersects the next in the moment when the $20 passes hands, a moment that is described from the point of view of two different people, so that we see each character both from the outside -- through someone else's eyes -- and from t
Ben Campbell
Short and sweet, this novelette is one short epic after another, as you know, which follows a twenty dollar Bili as it exchanges hands. A few of the stories were interesting but didn't really stand creatively from the others.

Disappointing to me was that the narrative of the episodes were too similar. The new owners of the twenty dollar bill all thought alike and narrated their stories basically in the colloquialisms, attitude and perception of the situations.

If each story had distinctive charact
Hooskadooo
Some years ago there were a few popular web sites onto which you would track dollar bills that you had come into contact with. You would go onto the site and put in some info about the bill and where you received it and where you spent it. The bills were marked with the website name. Sometimes next person would log it in but sometimes it would take months before you knew where it went and wonder how it got there. I personally logged in one but quickly forgot about it after and did not even think ...more
Sarah Sammis
Sep 21, 2008 Sarah Sammis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Sarah by: breeni
Shelves: review-copy, released
I first heard of The Twenty Dollar Bill by Elmore Hammes on Breeni Books back in February. Shortly after adding it to my wishlist, the author was kind enough to offer me a review copy.

The novel follows the two week travels of a twenty dollar bill from the time Claire gives her last twenty to a homeless man on her way to work. The bill changes hands forty-two times and even travels as far south as Mexico before coming full circle.

Although the twenty dollar bill is the main character, Hammes creat
Donna
I've always thought if I had a super power maybe I'd like to be able to read people's minds. On the other hand, that would probably be really scary! But I got the opportunity in this unique novel which follows a $20 bill as it is passed from person to person and lets us glimpse their impression of the exchange as well as a snippet of their life with it's hopes and fears. What I found most intriguing were the different inner reactions of people to the same situation. It really got me to thinking ...more
Adam
This was a very pleasant novel. Well, novel is a bit generous. More of a novella, really. But still pleasant. Short, to the point and yet still a bit touching. A nice easy read to knock out in a day or two.
Alison
kindle- it was an interesting story, with a quick view into the lives of the different people that come into contact with the twenty dollar bill.
Neil Blaiberg
Very unusual read, this novel tracks the life of a $20 bill (hence the title) as it passes from one person to another.

In doing so you get a fascinating, albeit brief, look at the lives of the people the note touches.

It's a well written novel, my only complaint being I'd love to know what happens to the people once they have passed the note on - some of the stories are left on a cliff-hanger, and I'd love to know what happened to them - but I guess that is not the point of the book.

It's not the l
Erica
The Twenty Dollar Bill was a clever idea for a book, and I think it was executed wonderfully in this quick read with diverse subplots. It was interesting to see to who and how the money would exchange hands. Sometimes I made stereotypical judgement on characters based on how they were presented to me, sometimes my assumption about the type of people they were correct, and other times I was terribly wrong. This book made me question my knee-jerk reactions about people. I really liked this book, e ...more
Patricia
Got this book on a bargain and thought the concept was rather interesting. The book is divided into chapters told in the first person by each person who handles a single twenty dollar bill. It follows the bill through making change, buying items, thefts, tips... The chapters are short, making it a quick, easy read. Not much thinking involved, no plot really. Just following the path of the twenty dollars. It is, though, interesting and entertaining. A good read for when you don't want anything he ...more
Leah Sperlongano
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. A short and easy read but an enjoyable one. I liked how we only meet each character for a short while and we get to use our imaginations to create the rest of their story. I very much enjoyed the journey of the $20 and I loved how the people that touched it had very different lives and personalities. I also enjoyed the underlying message that we should not judge someone by our short interactions with them.
Ruth
Overall I probably would have rated the book a 3 or 3.5 but it was so clever it just earned extra points in my book. The premise of the story is a $20 bill passing through the hands of different people and what the story of each person was. I wasn't sure how the story could be ended but the author handed this very well, also. A fun read.
Elaine
This buck—twenty bucks to be exact—doesn't stop here. It gets generously handed to a street person, gets stolen, given as a tip more than once, and used as taxi fare. It buys drugs and alcohol. Whoever thought $20.00 could purchase so much? Yet, one has to assume it is the same $20.00 that is being passed along.
Kari
Didn't know what to expect reading this book, but really enjoyed meeting the different characters along the way. With some, I would have like to know more...I wanted to know more about their story after the $20 left their hands. I'm glad it at least came full-circle with one character. A quick, pleasant read.
Richard Philbrick
A very unique read. The book follows the path of a single $20 bill as it changes hands from one person to the next in a series of well-written vignettes. I downloaded it to my Kindle in the morning and had to force myself to stop late in the evening so I could get some sleep.
Lexy
The author had an interesting idea of writing about the life of a $20 bill. Follows the bill from person to person and you get a glimpse in several peoples lives. Will not win any awards, at least in my opinion, but a quick, likable read.
Cyndy
This book follows a twenty-dollar bill on its journey from person to person. More accurately, it gives a glimpse into the lives of each person it touches. An interesting collection of character sketches. I didn't expect to like it, but I did.
Dee-Ann
I really enjoyed this. I liked the short stories, which gave you a snapshot of many very different lives. I would like to know what happened to these people however .... it is a pity we could not have revisitied them all.
Louise
I really enjoyed this book which follows the people who come into contact with a $20 bill. I don't normally like books like this but I really enjoyed all the different people and their stories.
Weaverannie
I liked the book, but after a while it began to feel like a collection of short stories instead of a novel. I don't like short stories very much. Therefore only three stars.
Cori Ilardi
Definitely an interesting story. I loved the way it ended. I've thought about money being passed around tons of times, so I really enjoyed this.
Anthony
This was a great, quick read. I wish some of the characters portrayed could have been expanded more... like the bouncer or the family on the train.
Cheryl Hurd
this was just a feel good book. A day in the life of a $20.00 dollar bill.......how its passed from hand to hand, life to life. Good reading
Christal Bryant
With the short stories this is good to read while you are waiting places or at night for a quick read before bed. Most of the stories were good.
Jan
Follows a $20 bill from person to person, giving a little bit of the history of the person receiving it. Interesting....
Jamie Hyman
Another good idea lacking a good execution. Reads like a creative writing student project.
Lyn
A good concept but each story seemed a bit repetitious as if being told by the same person.
Lesuong
Short & easy read. I loved the concept of the book. The ending is very cute too.
  • The Callahans: The Complete Series
  • The Knight of Death: The Assassin Chronicles (The Red Cross of Gold #1)
  • Hero Wanted (Jason Cosmo #1)
  • Merger (The Soterians, #2)
  • Her Nowhere
  • The Island of Ted
  • Border Crossing
  • Taking Flight
  • My Temporary Life (My Temporary Life, #1)
  • Tribes
  • Learn Me Gooder
  • The Complete History of Why I Hate Her
  • Hard Work: A Life On and Off the Court
  • Noble Vision
Three Avenues of Escape The Day Everything Stopped Not Fit For Human Consumption: A Comedic Farce The Holmes and Watson Mysterious Events and Objects Consortium: The Case of the Witch's Talisman Through the Arch