The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment

The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment

4.56 of 5 stars 4.56  ·  rating details  ·  281 ratings  ·  34 reviews
For those serious about enlightenment, author and teacher Adyashanti has some advice: better know what you're getting into. Because with spiritual awakening, you find that the strongly held beliefs and perceptions you've taken to be 'you' and 'your world' vanish into the unmanifest nature of all that is. The End of Your World presents a landmark six-CD course on the realit...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published May 1st 2008 by Sounds True (first published December 1st 2004)

Susan Wight
I took the webinar with Adya in March of 2012 using his book: The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment. This was with many people from around the world.

The entire book is a book carrying the energy of pure awareness and deep insights to awakening. It naturally but directly reveals illusive and often hidden mental programing that Adya calls living in the dream state; a state of illusion that most people don't even realize they are in. Instead of our conditio...more
Carolina Montague
Oh. My. God.

I read this on the way back to India in 2010. I'd been on a Path since 2000 and FINALLY I see a western Teacher owning up to the crap that happens to you when you even think about getting your feet wet in the spiritual realm.

They told us this stuff in India. Good to see it surface here.
Trans
The turnabout in consciousness known as Enlightenment is often badly misunderstood these days and poorly described in much spiritual literature. Among the ancient and early modern texts that do contain accurate descriptions and valid reports, the linguistic style and cultural overlays make it difficult for most modern readers to gain a true understanding of what is being discussed. Too often, readers come away with a mythologized view (because the old texts used myths as metaphors). So people to...more
Aaron Fisher
It's not every day you find a book on a topic you've never seen addressed before. This book is filled with personal advice that, at least for me, rang true - and offered valuable encouragement I've reflected on again and again.
Reneesarah
A Buddhist teacher suggested this book to me. We had just met, and she basically said- by the way, I think you might like this book. Wow- was she right.

I must have something like two hundred spiritual books on my bookshelves. Admittedly, I haven't read all of them all the way through. I am at the point with these books that if, quite undeservedly, some Shams like character showed up and said "Let's burn up all your books and just drink the wine of experience!" I would be up for it. I might give...more
Mary
A most excellent teacher. His words are very clear, down to earth and to the point, its not hard to hear what he is saying and the Zen Buddhist concepts are presented in a very understandable ordinary way, which makes it extraordinary. His insight is penetrating and sharp. It was easy to read and yet I found had to read it twice. Like all of my dharma books, it is one that I will return to again.

The main insight that I came away with was a new awareness of enlightenment, or 'waking up' and that...more
Vesela Simic
Mar 24, 2012 Vesela Simic rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone interested in a true and wholehearted life
I have the good fortune of living in the San Francisco Bay Area where Adya also resides and often holds public gatherings. I've just reread this book as part of a course I'm taking with him that focuses on this work. I find that when he "points to the moon," it shines ever more brightly before me. With clear, unadorned prose, he goes to the core of the spiritual journey, honestly reporting from his experience. It can be a demanding journey; these are not fluffy promises. I value Adya's wisdom an...more
Steve
This is, in the dimension of awakening, just the most helpful and practical thing I have ever read. I could not get enough of it. He bestows perspective on what it is to flash awake and what people go through after they do...perspective that I have been trying to gather (not too successfully) myself for years. In a very strange way, this was like a deep breath of fresh air. I will read this over and over again.
July Wolfe
This is the first Adyashanti book I have read, and it was exactly what I've been looking for. Awakening comes before enlightenment, and I knew I was on the brink of some type of realization. Adya put the process into simple experiential words that helped me drop several preconceptions and refuse to form more. This is one I will read again and again for quite a while.
Laurie
I am listening to this in the car. This is about awakening and realizing we are not our emotions, our body or our mind. We are something much bigger than that. Fascinating.

Adyashanti shares personal stories from his youth about his own awakening and the pitfalls, challenges and joys that happen.

I love the perspective it gives me on life.
Maura
Profound wisdom! ....and he sounds far too young to be so wise. His teachings are somewhat of a Buddhist hybrid. Only four stars because for just a couple short periods it became a little too esoteric (probably more my failing than his) - but I enjoyed listening to this to the end.
Dielle Ciesco
I love Adya. I love his raw honesty about the awakening process. I love his clarity. This was an excellent read because it was more than a read; it was an experience. There were so many sentences that blew my mind, brought me pause, and opened me up. Not many books can do that.
Neelesh Marik
'Make no mistake about it- enlightenment is a destructive process. It has nothing to do with becoming happier. Enlightenment is the crumbling away of untruth. It's seeing through the facade of pretense. It's the complete eradication of everything we imagined to be true'
Todd Mayville
Looking for enlightenment? Bring your own cookies! My review of Adyashanti's The End of Your World is on Elephant Journal.

Diane
This book is the straight and clear understanding of awakening/enlightenment that we each experience in different ways. I am really glad to have read this to release the past understanding of how this should happen. Freedom in allowing. Great teacher.
Gary
good education for Nondualists in awkward teenage stage of back and forth between abiding and non-abiding awareness. can feel very lonely without a li'l help.
Katrina
Insightful view into truth, conciousness and spirituality. A repetitive read that is very dear to my heart.
Stephanie
The practical side of Awakening. What it is, what it's like, and what comes next. Love it.
Emily
Remarkable book. Highly recommended. It's going on my list of favorites.
Lillian
Very helpful. Adya is plain speaking, down to earth and supportive.
Sunil
Simple and Clear Teachings...Awesome Methods of Contemplation...
Jenna
awesome. Really great
Linty
Brilliant...
Julie
excellent
scott
Watered down, ego-driven, derivative material that fails to cite any of its obvious influences. Adyashanti pontificates at great length on what his definition of "enlightenment" is, and whether or not he'd give you that label. He doesn't link his concepts to well-known/accepted terminology for this domain; instead he makes up all his own definitions to ensure the reader is kept in his microcosm. There's a feel-good bent to it that hooks the reader into seeking his approval. Reading this made me...more
Okoskodo
Have yet to find a book on "Enlightenment" that isn't just recycled common sense. Marketing and brand building.
Zeno
Wow. He was able to accurately describe what I have been through this past years in my spiritual experience. A whole new world.
Sarah O'Flaherty
Adyashanti is a very inspiring teacher. He communicates concepts clearly and makes you feel that enlightenment is a real possibility, even for us heathens that have a lot of work to do. A great read.
Keith Huston
This was an amazing and refreshing discussion about enlightenment and in particular what it is not. I've been looking for was to cut through some frustration with a formalized path and that was exactly what I needed. I found him very easy to listen to and the interview at the end was direct and fantastic. I highly recommend!
Jim Hussey
Second time through. Amazing reminder of the pathless path. Very helpful clues on the journey and warnings of the way the ego can sneak into one's experience and infect clarity of mind and experience. Good stuff. Adya is always clear, concise and a joy to listen to. (audio book)
  • The Diamond in Your Pocket: Discovering Your True Radiance
  • A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things Are
  • The Presence Process: A Healing Journey Into Present Moment Awareness
  • Gazing Into the Eternal: Reflections Upon a Deeper Purpose to Living
  • Integral Psychology: Consciousness, Spirit, Psychology, Therapy
  • The Book of Secrets (Vigyan Bhairav Tantra )
  • Personal Power through Awareness: A Guidebook for Sensitive People
  • And There Was Light: The Extraordinary Memoir of a Blind Hero of the French Resistance in World War II
  • Who Dies?
  • The Laughing Jesus: Religious Lies and Gnostic Wisdom
  • The Intention Experiment: Using Your Thoughts to Change Your Life and the World
  • On Having No Head: Zen and the Rediscovery of the Obvious
  • Rational Mysticism: Spirituality Meets Science in the Search for Enlightenment
  • Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha: An Unusually Hardcore Dharma Book
Adyashanti is an American spiritual teacher from the San Francisco Bay Area who gives regular satsangs in the United States and also teaches abroad. He is the author of several books, CDs and DVDs and is the founder of Open Gate Sangha, Inc. a nonprofit organization that supports, and makes available, his teachings.
More about Adyashanti...
Emptiness Dancing True Meditation: Discover the Freedom of Pure Awareness Falling Into Grace: Insights on the End of Suffering Spontaneous Awakening The Impact of Awakening: Excerpts From the Teachings of Adyashanti

“We realize--often quite suddenly--that our sense of self, which has been formed and constructed out of our ideas, beliefs and images, is not really who we are. It doesn't define us, it has no center.” 16 likes
“The way they perceive the world suddenly changes, and they find themselves without any sense of separation between themselves and the rest of the world.” 6 likes