Start by marking “The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment” as Want to Read:
The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment

The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment

4.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  732 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
For those serious about enlightenment, author and teacher Adyashanti has some advice: better know what you're getting into. Because with spiritual awakening, you find that the strongly held beliefs and perceptions you've taken to be 'you' and 'your world' vanish into the unmanifest nature of all that is. The End of Your World presents a landmark six-CD course on the realit ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published May 1st 2008 by Sounds True (first published December 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The End of Your World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of Your World

Reneesarah
Aug 21, 2013 Reneesarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Buddhist teacher suggested this book to me. We had just met, and she basically said- by the way, I think you might like this book. Wow- was she right.

I must have something like two hundred spiritual books on my bookshelves. Admittedly, I haven't read all of them all the way through. I am at the point with these books that if, quite undeservedly, some Shams like character showed up and said "Let's burn up all your books and just drink the wine of experience!" I would be up for it. I might give
Susan Wight
Oct 02, 2012 Susan Wight rated it it was amazing
I took the webinar with Adya in March of 2012 using his book: The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment. This was with many people from around the world.

The entire book is a book carrying the energy of pure awareness and deep insights to awakening. It naturally but directly reveals illusive and often hidden mental programing that Adya calls living in the dream state; a state of illusion that most people don't even realize they are in. Instead of our conditio
Trans
Sep 03, 2009 Trans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The turnabout in consciousness known as Enlightenment is often badly misunderstood these days and poorly described in much spiritual literature. Among the ancient and early modern texts that do contain accurate descriptions and valid reports, the linguistic style and cultural overlays make it difficult for most modern readers to gain a true understanding of what is being discussed. Too often, readers come away with a mythologized view (because the old texts used myths as metaphors). So people to ...more
Steve
Sep 02, 2009 Steve rated it it was amazing
This is, in the dimension of awakening, just the most helpful and practical thing I have ever read. I could not get enough of it. He bestows perspective on what it is to flash awake and what people go through after they do...perspective that I have been trying to gather (not too successfully) myself for years. In a very strange way, this was like a deep breath of fresh air. I will read this over and over again.
Carolina Montague
Oct 13, 2012 Carolina Montague rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. God.

I read this on the way back to India in 2010. I'd been on a Path since 2000 and FINALLY I see a western Teacher owning up to the crap that happens to you when you even think about getting your feet wet in the spiritual realm.

They told us this stuff in India. Good to see it surface here.
Mary
Jun 08, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
A most excellent teacher. His words are very clear, down to earth and to the point, its not hard to hear what he is saying and the Zen Buddhist concepts are presented in a very understandable ordinary way, which makes it extraordinary. His insight is penetrating and sharp. It was easy to read and yet I found had to read it twice. Like all of my dharma books, it is one that I will return to again.

The main insight that I came away with was a new awareness of enlightenment, or 'waking up' and that
Vesela Simic
Mar 24, 2012 Vesela Simic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in a true and wholehearted life
I have the good fortune of living in the San Francisco Bay Area where Adya also resides and often holds public gatherings. I've just reread this book as part of a course I'm taking with him that focuses on this work. I find that when he "points to the moon," it shines ever more brightly before me. With clear, unadorned prose, he goes to the core of the spiritual journey, honestly reporting from his experience. It can be a demanding journey; these are not fluffy promises. I value Adya's wisdom an ...more
Aaron Fisher
Jan 05, 2013 Aaron Fisher rated it it was amazing
It's not every day you find a book on a topic you've never seen addressed before. This book is filled with personal advice that, at least for me, rang true - and offered valuable encouragement I've reflected on again and again.
Chris Beal
Jan 18, 2015 Chris Beal rated it really liked it
When I first came to Adya (as his students call him), many of the people in his sangha had already awoken to their true nature but didn't know where to go from there. “Now what?” was the implicit refrain coming from his students. This book specifically addresses students who are at this point: they already have experienced the dropping away of the sense of self generated by the stream of thoughts, they know they are everything and nothing at the same time, but when they go back into the world th ...more
Suba
Feb 26, 2015 Suba rated it really liked it
Honesty, simplicity and openness radiate from Adyashanti's words. One thing that distinguishes Adyashanti's book from others that talk about Enlightenment is his blatant honesty regarding Awaking. Rather than paint some heavenly vision of Enlightenment, he gives us the dirty, hurtful, painful, infuriating, desperate aspects of it.

He introduces us to Enlightenment via the ego's perspective. The pain, the loss, uncertainty, struggle, and so forth. Instead of all the heavenly promises, we find our
July Wolfe
Jun 08, 2012 July Wolfe rated it it was amazing
This is the first Adyashanti book I have read, and it was exactly what I've been looking for. Awakening comes before enlightenment, and I knew I was on the brink of some type of realization. Adya put the process into simple experiential words that helped me drop several preconceptions and refuse to form more. This is one I will read again and again for quite a while.
Laurie
Nov 01, 2009 Laurie rated it it was amazing
I am listening to this in the car. This is about awakening and realizing we are not our emotions, our body or our mind. We are something much bigger than that. Fascinating.

Adyashanti shares personal stories from his youth about his own awakening and the pitfalls, challenges and joys that happen.

I love the perspective it gives me on life.
Maura
Apr 13, 2009 Maura rated it really liked it
Profound wisdom! ....and he sounds far too young to be so wise. His teachings are somewhat of a Buddhist hybrid. Only four stars because for just a couple short periods it became a little too esoteric (probably more my failing than his) - but I enjoyed listening to this to the end.
Dielle Ciesco
Jan 18, 2013 Dielle Ciesco rated it it was amazing
I love Adya. I love his raw honesty about the awakening process. I love his clarity. This was an excellent read because it was more than a read; it was an experience. There were so many sentences that blew my mind, brought me pause, and opened me up. Not many books can do that.
Neelesh Marik
Aug 09, 2011 Neelesh Marik rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awakening
'Make no mistake about it- enlightenment is a destructive process. It has nothing to do with becoming happier. Enlightenment is the crumbling away of untruth. It's seeing through the facade of pretense. It's the complete eradication of everything we imagined to be true'
Todd Mayville
Jul 27, 2009 Todd Mayville rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking for enlightenment? Bring your own cookies! My review of Adyashanti's The End of Your World is on Elephant Journal.

Diane
Jun 16, 2012 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the straight and clear understanding of awakening/enlightenment that we each experience in different ways. I am really glad to have read this to release the past understanding of how this should happen. Freedom in allowing. Great teacher.
Gary
Oct 14, 2008 Gary rated it it was amazing
good education for Nondualists in awkward teenage stage of back and forth between abiding and non-abiding awareness. can feel very lonely without a li'l help.
Katrina
Insightful view into truth, conciousness and spirituality. A repetitive read that is very dear to my heart.
Stephanie
Mar 13, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
The practical side of Awakening. What it is, what it's like, and what comes next. Love it.
Emily
Apr 20, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing
Remarkable book. Highly recommended. It's going on my list of favorites.
Lillian
Sep 03, 2012 Lillian rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Very helpful. Adya is plain speaking, down to earth and supportive.
Sunil
Dec 15, 2012 Sunil rated it it was amazing
Simple and Clear Teachings...Awesome Methods of Contemplation...
Jenna
Jul 13, 2011 Jenna rated it it was amazing
awesome. Really great
Linty
Sep 27, 2010 Linty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual-stuff
Brilliant...
MizzSandie
My second Adyashanti book (my first was 'falling into grace').
I needed this. I needed to be reminded that there are pitfalls on the path of enlightenment and that it's all right, and to be expected, to fall into them. That our egoic structure doesn't just disappear as we awaken or begin to awaken. Because it has a strong, gravitational hold of us, and so we haven't failed just because we slip back into dualistic, separative thinking now and again.
Adyashanti is right, this isn't taught us, most o
Julie
Apr 20, 2010 Julie rated it it was amazing
excellent
scott
Aug 16, 2011 scott rated it it was ok
Watered down, ego-driven, derivative material that fails to cite any of its obvious influences. Adyashanti pontificates at great length on what his definition of "enlightenment" is, and whether or not he'd give you that label. He doesn't link his concepts to well-known/accepted terminology for this domain; instead he makes up all his own definitions to ensure the reader is kept in his microcosm. There's a feel-good bent to it that hooks the reader into seeking his approval. Reading this made me ...more
Joan Machlis-crasemann
I'm not able to rate this book because it is written for people with much more experience in spiritual awakening and Zen teachings than I have. Much of what was written was foreign to me and I'm sure I missed the deeper levels. None-the-less it opened up many new thoughts about how one seeks truth and about common experiences in the process of discarding illusions. On a personal note it gave me an appreciation of facets of of my nephew, who recommended this teacher.
Katja Vartiainen
Aug 06, 2015 Katja Vartiainen rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
It's not a literary masterpiece, and it was not meant to be. It's a book that helps to integrate what happens after an epiphany. This book will make no sense if you are not into spiritual seeking, non-duality, Sufism, or any kind of mystiscim. It IS a helpful book if you are. To write a book about this subject matter is very difficult since how can one describe things like ' truth', life changing moments that makes one look at life from an angle you never knew existed ? There are so many books i ...more
  • Soul Love: Awakening Your Heart Centers (Soul Life, #1)
  • The Inner Sky: How to Make Wiser Choices for a More Fulfilling Life
  • The Call: Discovering Why You Are Here
  • Love Without Conditions
  • Defy Gravity: Healing Beyond the Bounds of Reason
  • Talks with Ramana Maharshi: On Realizing Abiding Peace and Happiness
  • The Translucent Revolution: How People Just Like You Are Waking Up and Changing the World
  • A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things Are
  • The Spiritual Emerson: Essential Writings by Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • The Eye of the I: From Which Nothing is Hidden
  • I Am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
Adyashanti is an American spiritual teacher from the San Francisco Bay Area who gives regular satsangs in the United States and also teaches abroad. He is the author of several books, CDs and DVDs and is the founder of Open Gate Sangha, Inc. a nonprofit organization that supports, and makes available, his teachings.
More about Adyashanti...

“We realize--often quite suddenly--that our sense of self, which has been formed and constructed out of our ideas, beliefs and images, is not really who we are. It doesn't define us, it has no center.” 24 likes
“The important thing is allowing the whole world to wake up. Part of allowing the whole world to wake up is recognizing that the whole world is free—everybody is free to be as they are. Until the whole world is free to agree with you or disagree with you, until you have given the freedom to everyone to like you or not like you, to love you or hate you, to see things as you see them or to see things differently—until you have given the whole world its freedom—you’ll never have your freedom.” 12 likes