Start by marking “Girls in Tears (Girls, #4)” as Want to Read:
Girls in Tears (Girls, #4)

Girls in Tears (Girls #4)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  3,517 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Ellie, Magda and Nadine are back - but they're not very happy! Ellie's glorious romance with Russell is teetering on the rocks. Magda's lost her pet and is desperately upset (though the others didn't even know she still had a hamster!). And Nadine is fed up with the other two lecturing her about the dangers of meeting someone on the Internet. She thinks her e-mail boyfrien ...more
191 pages
Published (first published October 1st 2002)

Dracula by Bram StokerThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleAtonement by Ian McEwan
BBC The Big Read Top 100 Books (prt2)
55th out of 100 books — 39 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
BBC Top 200 Books
188th out of 200 books — 45 voters

More lists with this book...

Anureet
Sep 15, 2013 Anureet rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Girls that like to know more about teenage life
Recommended to Anureet by: Liabary
I loved this book. It really explained how Teenage girls feel. And all their problems!
I think its a really good way to explain to young girls that good looking and having a boy friend isn't everything! I also like how Jacqueline Wilson put down the feelings of Isabelle and how she thinks her life is horrible.
I really recommend this book!
Kyla
Review Preface: I'm the MOM who got suspicious when the 11 year old started hiding this book.
Here's Mom's review:
This is trash, it has ZERO literary value. It bundles an amazing number of "WORSTS" for middle school and high school girls into a very small book written in 5th grade language. This book was made avail to my 11 yr old daughter.
The Star of the book is dating a boy 2 yrs older Russell who constantly pushes her for sex. While she says "no" there's no exploration of this or reward/punish
Erica
Apr 14, 2012 Erica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Younger girls
Shelves: childhood
When I was younger, I read all of Jacqueline's books and all books of this series were my favorite ones! As I got older though, I didn't appreciate her books as much but I still love the creativity and thought behind each one of them and I will remember them as a big part of my childhood.

Because the language is pretty easy, her books were the first ones I ever read in English. I still today recommend her books to younger girls I know, and I hope that they will find the same joy as I did while r
bakanekonomama
Don't like it at all.

Malas sekali baca kisah tiga sahabat yang kali ini terlalu dibumbui dengan percintaan dan drama itu. -___-

Mengerikan lihat dunia ini, ketika anak usia 13 tahun udah pacaran dengan gaya kayak gitu. Iya, saya tau ini di UK, tapi tetap saja serem bacanya. Cium-ciuman, peluk-pelukan, dan yg lain-lain (untung ga sampe ke situ, cuma tetep aja ngeri bacanya). Mana pake ada acara selingkuh-selingkuhan, minum-minuman keras. OMG! 13 tahun bbookk!!!!

Makanya saya nggak suka sama kisah y
♥Miyuki♥ Goco
i was way back in migh school..when i first seen this show..back..then im hooked to all her writing's,,this book is just the bestest..which a teenage girl like me can really relate..it shows,,more on friendship..handling and dealing with boys,,teenage complications..and a whole lot more of drama..i love the characters and story..i love it..until now!i just love the story to death! <3
Janet
Would be a good book for teenagers about adolescent angst. It deals with lots of the family, girlfriend and boyfriend issues so common but troubling for young teenagers.
Elizabeth
These Girl in... books are my favourites from Jacqueline Wilson. Interesting story with well developed characters. Simple yet compelling.
Adeola
This book was the fourth book in the saga and was really good, i liked the last one rather than this one.
Liz
actually 0 stars for the ending. i hated it so very much. russell is sex crazed, disgusting, jealous and rude and she's still thinking about getting back together with him? what kind of message is that? ugh i certainly don't remember this series to end in such a horrible way. i'm so disappointed, Jacqueline Wilson was my childhood hero but this? i hated all the characters towards the end. the first two books were enjoyable but the last two utter crap.
Annabel
Dame Jacqueline Wilson (a very deserved title!) is, in my opinion, the best contemporary children's writer. She writes perfectly, in content, theme, style and accessibility for children from aged 6 to 13 (ish - of course this varies among children). She writes flawlessly for children, I could not find a single fault.

She is never patronizing and introduces young people to important life issues such as love, poverty, friendship, adolescence, separated parents, illnesses and so much more, in a mann
Courtney West
I loved this book, I've read it twice now because it's so gripping, I just couldn't put it down, it's a dramatic story and Jacqueline has presented it brilliantly, it really do describe some of the struggles teenagers go through these days with their friends becoming enemies etc. I'd recommend this to people over the age of 11 as some parts take maturity to understand.
Emily (Mrs B's Books)
Aug 26, 2014 Emily (Mrs B's Books) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Over 11's
This book is about three best friends who are coping with boyfriends, jealousy and growing up.

Ellie and her friends deal with an internet boyfriend who seems too good to be true, cheating, and best friends that betray them when alcohol and the death of pets are involved.

We also see that even though you may not be best friends with someone at the moment you will aways get together with them to help save your other friends along the way.

The book is good for those over 11, but as an adult I just fo
Indie
'Girls in Tears' by Jacqueline Wilson

These books are just too easy to read! The girls may be roughly the same age as me yet there completely different. I don't know if that's a personality thing or just these characters. Like I've said for the other three books, the plot is for older kids but the writing for young children.

I must admit I love the relationship between Ellie and Russell. I loved the major conflict as well. It was just so interesting and well thought out.

The only thing that I didn
Ann
Girls in Tears was the first book of the series that I read. Simple, likeable characters and teenage problems. Family, friends, boyfriends, jealousy. I really liked it even though I am past that period for some time now.
Lucette
You guessed it - another childhood reread. Not my favourite Jacqueline Wilson but one of the two I own (they were gifts - not self chosen as neither are ones I particularly like.
Rachel Brand
Mar 14, 2009 Rachel Brand rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel by: Tamsin
I think I'd grown out of these books by the time the fourth one was published, so I didn't appreciate as much as I might have a few years earlier. In a way, it felt like Wilson was pushing the story further than it could really go so the events in this book felt a bit forced. I remember thinking "Really, haven't they been through enough?" Particularly with Nadine, who never had any good luck when it came to guys. I suppose Wilson just saw an opportunity to talk about the dangers of internet dati ...more
Penny
"Girls in tears
Ellie's glorious romance with Russell is teetering on the rocks. Magda's lost her pet and is desperately upset (through the others didn't even know she still had a hamster) And nadine is fed up with the other two lecturing her about the dangers of meeting someone on the Internet - she thinks an e mail boyfriend is wonderful. Buckets of tears are wept and hundreds of tissues sniffled into. Can the girls' friendship survive these testing times?"
Nóri Somogyi
Ellen
The book itself is very well written. It's 1st person point of view, which brings us a better understanding of the character. I've always liked Jacqueline Wilson's books, but this one was very sad. I loved the descriptive details but I don't like to read about someone being depressed. Some how I just couldn't put the book aside. If you're someone who likes a lot of humor, you might not want to read this...
Alannah Clarke
I always thought that this was a great last book to the Girls series. Looking back now I thought this book dealt with some really important issues that every girl faces. I remember being really upset at seeing Ellie and Russell's relationship and poor Magda losing her hamster because I knew what it felt like.

To be honest I wish I could go back in time and re-read all these books again.
Lisa Lacey
Loved the girls series of her books x
Marta
I absolutely love the girl serirs of Jacqueline Wilson's books. I really like Jacqueline Wilson and I think that I have nearly read all of her books. Girls in tears is about the 3 girls who lose boyfriends and cry, and cry, and cry...etc. etc. I will not tell you any more. Read it if you want. I will still think that Jacqueline Wilson's books are the BEST. (at least for now):P
Kate
I love this series. 5 stars!
Priyanka Rawat
It was after a really long time that I read such a cute book. The book has a very cute story about three best friends – Ellie, Magda and Nadine. Any teenage girl could relate with the story and all the problems that the characters face. I felt really sorry for poor Ellie all throughout the book. Though I found it a bit a childish, I still liked reading it a lot!!!
Rania Ajjan El Hadid
This installment shows heartbreak, betrayal and forgiveness experienced by the girls. Not the best installment in the series but still worth a read.
Ginag
Not as good as the others in the series to me. I think that Nadine and Magda let the side down a bit in this book.
Mary
girls are idiots at times
Juliet
Loved this entire book series when I was younger, so I'll always consider them to be special. I don't think I'd be able to stop cringing if I re-read them now, though, as it's typical of Jacqueline Wilson's style: unrealistic verging on impossible, not particularly well-written but enjoyable all the same.
Emma
I have to give this book at 4 stars, mainly because this book-series was my ultimate favourite when I was in my early teens. Back then, I felt like they were some of the few books that actually got how being that age was like. It's a good and funny book and the characters are well-written and realistic.
  • The Exiles at Home (The Exiles, #2)
  • Sunset Song
  • Dates, Double Dates and Big, Big Trouble (Ally's World, #2)
  • Lucky Star
  • The Cruel Sea (Classics of War)
  • Flying High (Angels Unlimited, #3)
  • Escape From Warsaw
  • Reach for the Stars (Fame School, #1)
  • Tygrys i Róża (Jeżycjada, #13)
Jacqueline Wilson was born in Bath in 1945, but spent most of her childhood in Kingston-on-Thames. She always wanted to be a writer and wrote her first ‘novel’ when she was nine, filling in countless Woolworths’ exercise books as she grew up. As a teenager she started work for a magazine publishing company and then went on to work as a journalist on Jackie magazine (which she was told was named af ...more
More about Jacqueline Wilson...
The Story of Tracy Beaker Double Act Girls in Love (Girls, #1) The Illustrated Mum Vicky Angel