Start by marking “To Afghanistan and Back: A Graphic Travelogue” as Want to Read:
To Afghanistan and Back: A Graphic Travelogue

To Afghanistan and Back: A Graphic Travelogue

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Introduction by Bill Maher. When U.S. bombs started raining on the Taliban, Rall jumped on a plane straight to the war zone to get the real story for himself. Featuring his Village Voice articles and a graphic novel.
Published September 1st 2003 by NBM Publishing (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about To Afghanistan and Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Afghanistan and Back

Rebels by Accident by Patricia DunnThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakBefore We Were Free by Julia AlvarezChanda's Secrets by Allan StrattonBlood Red Horse by K.M. Grant
DCPL's Teen World in Conflict Booklist
35th out of 35 books — 40 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank MillerThe Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman
500 Essential Graphic Novels
460th out of 693 books — 429 voters

More lists with this book...

Ryan Mishap
Another graphic from another war zone. Rall, the cartoonist and writer, has long been involved and interested in the “stan” region. In 2001, he traveled to Taloqan, Afghanistan as the so-called Northern Alliance advanced against the Taliban with U.S. support. In graphic form and in essays, he recounts the boredom, fear, violence, and confusion of life on the ground. While the personal story provides immediacy and a glimpse of a small piece, the essays and articles give a wider look at the whole— ...more
Alex Taylor
A collection of comics telling the story of Rall's trip to Afghanistan in 2001 bookended by his dispatches from the front. I wish I and everyone else had read this in 2002. It's one person's perspective, but Rall actually went and lived on the ground at the beginning of our stay. The most striking thing was the extent to which the fall of the Taliban was mostly just a trip to the barbershop. A quick read and a clear picture of the day-to-day experience there.
Robert
While Rall may be skeptical about finding The Truth, he does occasionally fall prey to overgeneralizing about the politics of Afghanistan. For example, early in the book he argues that clumsy American attempts to suck all the oil out of the Central Asian region without paying off the locals was, along with US policy on Israel, the main reason for the 9-11 attacks. There is quite a lot of information that has come to light since then that leads me to view this argument as a gross oversimplificati ...more
Raina
Collects the works of Ted Rall, an awardwinning journalist and comic artist, surrounding his assignment to Afghanistan shortly after 9/11. The book is split into three parts.

The first part felt like op-ed pieces covering the politics and drama regarding the middle east shortly after 9/11. This part I found difficult to get through, partially because all of the information was so current and is now so dated. I haven't followed these issues too closely, so I often had a hard time remembering what
Matthew
This book by Ted Rall, comics artist (“Tom Tomorrow”) and journalist (The Village Voice) records his experiences in Afghanistan during the U.S. bombing aimed to overthrow the Taliban. (He left for Afghanistan pretty much as soon as the air war started.) As Rall has frequently visited and commented on Central Asia, the book is not as odd as it sounds. It includes columns he wrote for The Village Voice, photographs, and a graphic novel. The organization of the book suffers, as the editor did not b ...more
Jim
I found Rall to be a rather acerbic observer of what was happening on the ground at the beginning of the Afghanistan invasion. Given what was happening, his restraint was remarkable. I'd be a liar if I called this an easy read. It's easy in terms of format; it's difficult in terms of subject matter and cognitive process. You can't dismiss Rall as a liberal, because he's simply not; you can't dismiss him as a Conservative (note the capital C) because he's not a flag-waving rubber stamp for Americ ...more
Colleen
Oct 24, 2007 Colleen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who still cares about the Afghanistan war, journalists
It's an excellent journalistic memoir of the Afghanistan war, from Rall's time there in 2001. Written so early on, and published so quickly, it's not as polished as it could be, but it trades that for a tangible reading experience of what it was like to be there, both as a visiting journalist and as an Afghan. Rall also does a good job of explaining the politics of central Asia, and how US decisions have impacted the country, and Muslim world. Even if you don't agree with him on everything, it's ...more
Adrian Nieto
Un libro que mezcla articulos del autor en previos periodicos (yo lo conozco por su trabajo freelance en MAD), acerca de su viaje como reportero durante la guerra de Afghanistan. Ted cuenta su version de la historia, como la ve. Desde sus problemas para conseguir casa, agua potable, electricidad, hasta la vida diaria que lleva la gente afgani. Un libro recomendable, mas para leer una tarde como curiosidad, un tema serio, tratado de manera casual.
Joseph Young
Neat perspective of a journalist's view in covering the war in Afghanistan. Rall attempts to clear away all of the spin and show the issues for what they are, also injecting a parallel story of the struggle to report and survive as a reporter in Afghanistan.
Maddsurgeon
Frightening and infuriating, but a good read. Cartoonist Ted Rall goes behind the lines to see what the war in Afghanistan if you're not (as was, say, the television news) in bed with the Northern Alliance. Distressing and terrifying even in its moments of biting criticism and gallows humor, this one is a must-read for anyone who's sick of the media glossing American imperialism even after the effects of it blew up in our face.
bryan
Let's see, Pat Tillman is a murderous racist who's an "idiot" and "sap." The 911 widows didn't care that their husbands died since they got monetary settlments. Rice is the President's "house nigga."

Oh, and maybe we should've been easier on the Columbine killers because, after all, they killed bullies.
Christine
This book should be essential reading for any student graduating from high school in the United States. I am much more likely to trust what someone who has traveled all over Central Asia (before and after 9/11) has to say about Afghanistan than what the news channels or the government say.
Joe
Behind the scenes look at the war on the poorest country on earth by the richest from an un-embedded journalist's perspective. Some enlightening tidbits in here. For example, I had no idea about the rate of defection from Taliban to Northern Alliance and back again.
Shannon
High-quality material, but why do I have to read everything twice? (Once in comic form, once in plain text.) I don't understand why Rall/editors thought this was a good idea--possibly because the book would have been too short if the material were not repeated?
Peacegal
This is a fascinating book, straightforward and grim, marred only by some unfortunate typos. To Afghanistan and Back much more accurately captures my feelings during this "joyous" season than that which is usually offered up.
Charlie Trotter
A lot of people chafe on Ted Rall's editorial cartoon commentary. At times, in his daily comics, he is as rough as a cob. However, his comic account of his time in Afghanistan, is compelling. I recommend checking it out from your library.
Anthony

Rall is an incredible satirist and his experience in the Middle East is growing year-to-year. It's hard to imagine that a political cartoonist would go to these lengths to give himself perspective. Great read!
Jason
One of the best books about the early days of the war in Afghanistan. Really funny as well.
B
958.104 Prose and graphic art about journalists in Afghanistan during the war.
Joette
I really liked this book, usual for me and graphic novels
Anne
Very biased, very political. Not my type of book.
Zohra
Aug 19, 2007 Zohra marked it as to-read
Part of my latest interest in graphic novels.
Ryan
Nov 08, 2007 Ryan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dystopia fans
disturbing stuff..
Kevin English
Kevin English marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Dan Schindel
Dan Schindel marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Rex Mundi, Vol. 1: The Guardian of the Temple
  • The Transformation Of War
  • Pax Romana
  • How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less
  • The Last Battle: When U.S. and German Soldiers Joined Forces in the Waning Hours of World War II in Europe
  • The Amazing "True" Story of a Teenage Single Mom
  • Fagin the Jew
  • A Jew in Communist Prague: Loss of Innocence v. 1
  • The World of Late Antiquity 150-750 (Library of World Civilization)
  • Mail Order Bride
  • Four Women
  • The Peru Reader: History, Culture, Politics
  • Poorcraft: The Funnybook Fundamentals of Living Well on Less
  • The Clothes Have No Emperor: A Chronicle of the American '80s
  • The Tunnels of Cu Chi
  • Age Of Bronze Volume 3A: Betrayal (Part One)
  • A Plague upon Humanity: The Hidden History of Japan's Biological Warfare Program
  • Safe Area Goražde: The War in Eastern Bosnia, 1992-1995
American columnist, syndicated editorial cartoonist, and author.

His political cartoons often appear in a multi-panel comic-strip format and frequently blend comic-strip and editorial-cartoon conventions.

The cartoons appear in approximately 100 newspapers around the United States. He is President of the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists.

Rall is critical about the foreign policy of the
More about Ted Rall...
Silk Road to Ruin: Is Central Asia the New Middle East? The Anti-American Manifesto The Year of Loving Dangerously 2024 My War With Brian