Start by marking “The Path of the Just - מסילת ישרים” as Want to Read:
The Path of the Just - מסילת ישרים

The Path of the Just - מסילת ישרים

4.56 of 5 stars 4.56  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The Path of the Just/Mesillat Yesharim
Published June 1st 1993 by Feldheim Pub (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Path of the Just - מסילת ישרים, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Path of the Just - מסילת ישרים

Jon-Erik
Interesting quote from the first line: "I wrote this book no to teach people what they do not know, but rather to remind them of what they already know and clearly understand." I think that's a pretty strong reminder of needing to pay attention to our internal moral compass.
Chana
An excellent book, well laid out, so clear and understandable although the subject is very serious. As I understand it this is a famous book of mussar, Mesillat Yesharim. He lays the book out in the stages necessary to attain closeness with our Creator. "These stages are: Watchfulness, Zeal, Cleanliness, Separation, Purity, Saintliness, Humility, Fear of Sin and Holiness."

These are my notes in brief:

Watchfulness (depart from evil)
Zeal (do good) (the positive commandments)
Cleanliness (Vanquish ev
David
Mesilas Yesharim is very much a book directed at spiritual self improvement for people who are already steeped in Jewish law and observance. I was surprised by how much resonated with me - I am not a big scholar, nor am I able to devote my time to study, but the concepts as I would encounter them would just make sense.

Luzatto has a style which can take some adjustment - he will say things like "it is obvious to everyone that X follows Y in the way that dawn follows night", and cite a verse which
Alexandre
To read again and again..
Hamza
There really isn't a reason to give this book a lower rating. It's not even from my religion, but still very inspirational and simple enough for me to follow. The citations from the Bible and rabbis definitely help. All in all, definitely a good read.
Mathew
Nov 08, 2008 Mathew added it
Shelves: philosophy, religion
I have finished this as well but I need to re-read it another twenty or so times. So not quite sure how to review it as 2 readings is still not enough.
M
If it's not too sacreligious, this masterpiece of personal growth truly is my favorite in that it is life altering and offers new inisght with every read.
Craig J.
The Path of the Upright: Mesillat Yesharim by Moses Hayyim Luzzatto (1995)
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Dunie
Dunie marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Andrew Hall
Andrew Hall marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Rachel
Rachel added it
Dec 27, 2014
Noah Collin
Noah Collin marked it as to-read
Lisa
Lisa added it
David Simonetti
David Simonetti marked it as to-read
Greg Marcus
Greg Marcus marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Crysta
Crysta marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Gregory Cassileth
Gregory Cassileth marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Howard Tune
Howard Tune marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Way of God: Derech Hashem (Torah Classics Library) (English and Hebrew Edition) Ways of the Tzaddikim: Orchos Tzaddikim (Torah Classics Library) The Knowing Heart - דעת תבונות Secrets of the Redemption Serving Our Creator: An Annotated Excerpt from Derech Hashem: The Way of God