Start by marking “The Cemetery Yew (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Cemetery Yew (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #3)

The Cemetery Yew (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #3)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  281 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
There's more than one reason the new West Tisbury police chief officially made 92-year old Victoria Trumbull her deputy. For one thing, Victoria knows just about everything about everyone in town, and a lot about the rest of the Martha's Vineyard year-round population as well. Not to mention their ancestors. Victoria may be afflicted with the usual aches and pains that des ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Cemetery Yew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cemetery Yew

Una Tiers
Mar 24, 2015 Una Tiers rated it really liked it
A fun cemetery mystery with twists and turns and nice, quirky characters.
Lis Carey
Jan 15, 2014 Lis Carey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Life on the Vinyard ought to be quiet, but somehow things don't work out that way. West Tisbury is home to Victoria Trumbull, 92 years old, not as physically agile as she used to be, but mentally scarily sharp--and she knows nearly everyone, or at least their families and the family history. That's why Casey, the Chief of Police hired from off-island, has appointed Victoria as her deputy.

The cemetery director, also town selectman, Denny Rhodes, gets a seemingly ordinary request from a family no
Helen
Jul 25, 2016 Helen rated it it was ok
This was a typical cosy mystery with the usual range of friendly small town residents, although the age of some of these is a bit of a surprise since our detective is in her nineties and some of her friends are well up there. The only time you notice the age, though, is when people are plowing around in the snow and wind, or she needs some help climbing up out of a grave. No matter how alert people are or how willing their systems there are very few people in their nineties who could be as quick ...more
Phair
Jun 05, 2016 Phair rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio-books
A rather convoluted tale and not as interesting as I'd hoped given the unusual sleuth, a 92 year old deputy in the Martha's Vineyard police department. Perhaps I would have felt more involved if I had read the previous 2 volumes and was more familiar with the cast of characters. Overall it just felt a bit flat in both story and characters with a mystery that was far from absorbing. I probably won't continue with the series although I do find the titles and cover art appealing. It's weird that Vi ...more
Ann
Sep 24, 2014 Ann rated it really liked it
Victoria Trumbull is back. She is 92 years old and a deputy police officer on Martha's Vineyard. She is in the midst of a lot of problems. A body that is to be exhumed is not buried wheree it is supposed to be; bodies keep turning up; coffins are found full of sand. Victoria knows all and gets to the bottom without turning much of a hair. She is remarkable. This book gets a little frenzied because there is so much going on at once but it all gets sorted out quickly and efficiently by Victoria. T ...more
Dharia Scarab
Warning: contains spoilers for both this book and book 8 "Death and Honesty"

So after reading books 3 and 8 I was seriously disappointed. Now these weren't my favorites to start with, because I'm not a fan of the multiple person point of view. But the fact that the motives for the killers in both books was damn near identical, was pretty much unforgivable.

In Cemetery Yew the killer needs money because she lost everything in dot.com investing and somehow ends up owing money to the mob.

In Death and
John
There's a joke that Cabot Cove, Maine is the murder capital of the USA. Well ... West Tisbury, Massachusetts seems to be giving them a run for their money, with three homicides in a row ... off-season no less!
This story moved S-L-O-W-L-Y, with the first dead body not appearing until after the halfway point. Granted I'm reading the series for the local details, which are fine, but there's so much backstory and chatter among the locals that I began to despair of anyone dying! Second half has all
Chris
Dec 10, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an extremely enjoyable Cozy Geezer Lit with an amazing 92 year old character named Victoria Trumbull. I was not able to get a hold of book #2 in the series but I understand that Victoria is now deputized. She is very observant, knowledgeable about the town and its people as well as rich with the wisdom of her age, and unflappable in the presence of danger.

This story covers crimes committed by a few State Department big wigs - who probably already make more money then an average citizen!
Barbara
Sep 25, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Cynthia Riggs has created a very interesting character. Victoria Trumbell is 92 years old and a lifelong resident of Martha’s Vineyard. The sheriff (chief of police?) of her town, an outsider, has made her a deputy and relies on her knowledge of the intricate relationships and politics, as well as the fact that she is related to many of the people on the island, so she rely on Vitoria to help her navigate the local climate in her investigations.

This is a complicated story, but still easy to fol
Judy
Apr 21, 2013 Judy rated it liked it
Who wouldn't be enchanted with Victoria Trumbull? She is 92 years old, she is a deputy in the West Tisbury Police Department on Martha's Vineyard, and she is sharp as a tack. Victoria knows just about everyone in town and remembers all of the skeltons in their family closets. In this third in the series, an empty coffin is discovered in the West Tisbury Cemetery and then a series of baffling murders begin to occur in and around town. The strange thing is that all of the victims are retired forei ...more
Arizonagirl
Martha's Vineyard series, book #3. A missing coffin, an annoying woman with an annoying pet toucan, 5 million dollars worth of questionably acquired gems, and several mysterious deaths.
Val
Jun 01, 2016 Val rated it really liked it
Another novel in the Martha's Vineyard Mystery series. This is a great murder mystery series.
Jay
May 12, 2014 Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an engaging mystery with an unlikely protagonist, delightfully read by Davina Porter.
Trudy Pomerantz
Nov 18, 2014 Trudy Pomerantz rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
It was an okay book to fold clothes to.
Lynn
Susan
May 23, 2014 Susan rated it did not like it
Silly.
Feb 15, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You've got to love a 92 year old, spunky, smart sleuth with a dry sense of humor. I really like the setting (Martha's Vineyard) and the recurring characters. I guessed the perp in the first couple of pages, but Rigg's writing style kept me reading long past the time I should have gotten ready for work this morning. The only thing that could have been improved was the way Riggs wrote the teen characters--no teenager I know has such terrible grammar or uses "like" quite so much.
Annabelle
Nov 19, 2011 Annabelle rated it liked it
(Audio) I usually hate mysteries with old, fuss budget ladies sticking their nose into other people’s business like Miss Marple, but this was a good one. The plot was plausible, State Dept employees buying gems and spiriting them away. The natural history of New England was lovely, and I liked this old biddy. She was smart and knew her place.

Kathy
Aug 06, 2013 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: listened
I continue to enjoy listening to this Martha's Vineyard series, with it's collection of engaging characters and pleasantly puzzling plots. This one is almost a locked room mystery, always a hills challenge for a mystery writer.
Leslie
Dec 15, 2013 Leslie rated it really liked it
Another delightful cozy story with Victoria Trumbull. I chuckled when Victoria talks of going to "read to the elderly" since she's 92, but since she's hail and hearty it makes a kind of sense.
Jill
Oct 14, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it
much better than average cozy mystery. I love that the sleuth is in her nineties but it also worries me because of the finality of the stories. How long can she keep this up?
Grey853
May 03, 2010 Grey853 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy
What an excellent little cozy. Victoria Trumbull might be 92, but she's quite the sleuth. This book had lots of twists and turns, keeping me on my toes all the way through.
Christina
Oct 16, 2012 Christina rated it did not like it
Shelves: novel
Last ditch book on tape for the drive. Maybe the narrator was just awful but this was quite bad and often silence seemed preferable.
Olgalijo
Aug 10, 2015 Olgalijo rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Pretty much the same as the first two in the series. I keep coming back because I feel that the main character is endearing
Gzas
Sep 12, 2012 Gzas rated it liked it
I've started reading this book long time ago, but I think that I will make a return :D
This book is shrouded in mystery!
Suzanne Young
May 09, 2010 Suzanne Young rated it really liked it
I found this to be a cleverly written and entertaining story with an unexpected conclusion. A thoroughly fun read.
Susan
Aug 29, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
This was just a light little read with a 92 year old woman in Martha's Vineyard as the sleuth.
Allison
Aug 03, 2014 Allison rated it it was amazing
Really good. Love that Victoria is a 92 year old lady who solves crimes and is a Deputy.
Crispin Haskins
Apr 08, 2013 Crispin Haskins rated it really liked it
Wonderful book!! Fun characters that kept you guessing right until the end!
  • Death By Design (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #1-3)
  • Wreck the Halls (Home Repair is Homicide, #5)
  • The Perils of Paella (A  Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #5)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Plot (Mrs Pargeter, #5)
  • The Body in the Bonfire (Faith Fairchild, #12)
  • Scandal in Fair Haven (Henrie O, #2)
  • A Blush With Death (A Bath and Body Mystery, #2)
  • Pane of Death (A Glassblowing Mystery, #2)
  • Norway to Hide (Passport to Peril, #6)
  • One Dead Under the Cuckoo's Nest (Pauline Sokol, #3)
  • The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery, #8)
  • Deader Homes and Gardens (Claire Malloy, #18)
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
Cynthia Riggs, a tall gray-haired and imposing figure, is a 13th generation Islander, the mother of five and daughter of author and poet Dionis Coffin Riggs and school principal and printmaker Sidney N. Riggs.

With a degree in geology, her own remarkable resumé -- writing for the National Geographic Society and Smithsonian (she spent two months in Antarctica), working in public relations for the Am
More about Cynthia Riggs...

Martha's Vineyard Mystery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Deadly Nightshade (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #1)
  • The Cranefly Orchid Murders (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #2)
  • Jack in the Pulpit (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #4)
  • The Paperwhite Narcissus (Martha's Vineyard Mysteries, #5)
  • Indian Pipes (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #6)
  • Shooting Star (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #7)
  • Death and Honesty (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #8)
  • Touch-Me-Not (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #9)
  • The Bee Balm Murders (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #10)
  • Poison Ivy (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #11)