Start by marking “Centerburg Tales: More Adventures of Homer Price” as Want to Read:
Centerburg Tales: More Adventures of Homer Price

Centerburg Tales: More Adventures of Homer Price (Homer Price #2)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,153 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Centerburg might be your town. Grampa Hercules and his never-ending tall tales, Dulcy Dooner, the uncooperative citizen, unbusinesslike Uncle Ulysses and his friendly lunchroom, the flustered sheriff, the pompous judge—they are all as American as they come. But there's a subtle and delightful difference. In Centerburg, along with the routine of day-to-day living, the most ...more
Published October 27th 1977 by Puffin Books (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Centerburg Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Centerburg Tales

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
My Favoritest Children's Books Ever!
307th out of 462 books — 419 voters
Penguins Stopped Play by Harry ThompsonThimble Summer by Elizabeth EnrightRamona's World by Beverly ClearyMatilda by Roald DahlAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Cheerful Books For Gloomy Days
17th out of 38 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Eyehavenofilter
Sep 16, 2013 Eyehavenofilter rated it really liked it
Annnd Homer is at it again! Trouble mayhem and chaos just seems to circle him like satellites I know the feeling...but it's much more fun to read about Homers experiences than to,live through mine.he seems to skin across the surface of trouble unscathed, a quality I greatly admire.
Written very tongue in cheek, this is a wonderfully quaint look back in time that anyone of a"certain age " will enjoy!
David
Centerburg Tales: More Adventures of Homer Price (Homer Price #2) by Robert McCloskey (Perfection Learning 1977) (Fiction - Children's). In the town of Centerburg where our boy Homer Price lives, everyone knows everything about each other. It's not that folks are nosy, it's just a small town. Interesting things happen there though, and Homer always seems to be at the center of the excitement. This is a series of stories; my favorite since childhood has been the mysterious phonograph record in th ...more
Edel
Aug 25, 2012 Edel rated it really liked it
For a small town Centerburg has an awful lot happening there. The best places in town for all the local gossip seems to be the barbershop where you can get a shave or haircut, read the magazines and catch up on everything happening in town. The local restaurantis another hotspot where fresh tasty donuts are one of the main specialitys , and this is where the best chats seem to happen.
This book was very enjoyable and the characters are very loveable and memorable. My favourites are Homer and his
Blake
Jan 27, 2016 Blake rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-my-kids
Terrific book, all the better for not feeling like it's been strained through a suite of lawyers, editors and "concerned parents". It's got a great voice, and Homer's character is both kind and wise, without being precocious, as is a common cop-out in children's literature.

For example, the first set of stories are tall tales told by Homer's grandfather, who still wields powerful authority over Homer's uncle's generation (from when they were kids). Wonderful as they are (and very much Twain inspi
Elizabeth
Jul 23, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-ya
Alger
Oct 28, 2014 Alger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as fun a book as Homer Price in the sense that Centerburg Tales is more disciplined collection of stories.

The majority of the stories are not longer centered on Homer, but are now moved along by his Grandfather. There is also a weird and somewhat flat, story about ragweed and Dulcey Downer (who we last saw passed out under an unfinished street sign) that takes much too long to get anywhere. Yet the book has serious charm and I reread this volume as often as I do Homer Price.

Dominick
Jun 13, 2013 Dominick rated it liked it
OK, this is a weird book. It's a sequel to Homer Price, but whereas that book (as far as I remember) was whimsical but ultimately not fantastical, this one crosses the line into a couple of strange fairy-tale like stories. We start with tall tales told by Grampa Hercules (many characters derive their names from classical mythology, with no other discernible connection to their namesakes), and the delight the kids take in them. They're amusing (though with some troublingly racist--by 21st century ...more
Wayne S.
Dec 17, 2013 Wayne S. rated it it was amazing
I read McClosky’s Homer Price a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Homer lives outside of Centerburg, a small town in Ohio near the Indiana border, where he and his friend Freddy go to school, he helps out in Uncle Ulysses’s lunchroom, and he listens to Grandpa Hercules’s stories. Centerburg Tales contains the further adventures of Homer, his friends, and his family. These stories have the aura of tall tales, and I suspect that everyone who has read the book has his favorite one.

It might be
Cherie Loar
Apr 26, 2016 Cherie Loar rated it really liked it
I read this to Caleb and found it enjoyable for myself, but probably enjoyed it mostly because he loved it so much and laughed his way through it. It has a classic 'old town' feel that I enjoy. As soon as we finished it, Caleb immediately wanted to start it again. There are some politically incorrect attitudes and terms in this book, but they aren't strong and I didn't find them offensive as they are time-period accurate and not vulgar, in my opinion.
Wilber Portillo
Dec 07, 2015 Wilber Portillo rated it liked it
I think it was pretty good but it might need to work on making the tales a little more action you now more fun something that makes me give it a 5 star.I liked many parts of the book the part I liked most was when the weed plant was grown and they try to get reed of it b/c is was making everyone sick and it was killing people. I would recommend this book for the people that like suspense and action.
Beth Anne
Jul 26, 2015 Beth Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: read-aloud, 2015
Listened to the audiobook with Emma and Will. They loved it just as much as the original, but I found this one a bit over the top to really enjoy. Instead of each chapter being its own stand alone story, the story was continuous and more like a series of tall tales.
Cynthia Egbert
May 19, 2015 Cynthia Egbert rated it liked it
I actually liked this one better than the original Homer Price. Nobody does silly quite as well as Robert McCloskey. Your kids will love these books and if you come from a small town, you will appreciate the citizens of Centerburg.
John Bush
Sep 09, 2015 John Bush rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book years ago as a child and enjoyed it then. On rereading it, I still find it to be amusing. Yes, it is a bit dated, but I think that adds to its charm. Homer Price's world of small town America is gone now, but it is fun to recall.
Pretzelgirl
Dec 27, 2014 Pretzelgirl rated it it was amazing
Close examinations on the further doings in Centerburg, the stomping ground of Homer Price. Not to be missed on any account. Enchanting.
Oct 01, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I have been reading this in the morning to Jacob before he boards the bus! It is great! It is laugh out loud funny at times.
Nathaniel
Sep 13, 2015 Nathaniel rated it it was amazing
I LIKED it. My favorite one was probably "ever so much more so." I liked that chapter, but I liked the whole book a lot.
Shiloah
Not as funny as Homer Price, but it still had a delightful, charming small town feel. I'm so glad we included these two books in our family reading.
Janene
Nov 09, 2013 Janene rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-my-kids
Ben, seven years old: "I didn't really like it"
Zach, nine years old: "It was OK" {shrug} "I didn't really like Grandpa Herc's personality, how he got offended too easily"
Sean, four years old: "I liked the part where the horses and the Indians were going past."

Me, thirty-something: It was a good continuation of the happenings in the town of Centerburg, but ever since that fantastic donut machine story, almost nothing from Homer Price has quite measured up. The boys looked forward to it and didn't
Yawz
Dec 23, 2014 Yawz rated it it was ok
I don't know why...I just never really liked this one, or the first.
Devi
Sep 10, 2015 Devi rated it liked it
A nice trip down memory lane. Fun collection of stories.
Caleb
Apr 11, 2014 Caleb rated it it was amazing
I Liked centerburg tales
Alger
Aug 19, 2013 Alger rated it really liked it
I was looking at my bookshelf and realizing that it had been twenty years since I read this book. So I picked it up and *poof* instant nostalgia for a time that never existed and a place that is nowhere.
These are not great literature, they are not classic teaching parables, they are just some of the best throw-away summer reading for children that has ever been put to paper. Great fun.
Maren
May 14, 2015 Maren rated it liked it
I think I like the first book, Homer Price, a bit better--but this was also fun to read (most especially as I read it with my very own Homer Price :).
Wayne
Mar 10, 2014 Wayne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, juvenile
I loved the first book about Homer Price and his home town as a kid. When I found out that there was a second book recently I had to read it. Unfortunatley I was dissapointed. The stories feel a bit more scattered are a bit more outlandish. They all fit into the tall-tale category, but they didn't hold the same appeal that the first book did.
Theo kids
May 03, 2012 Theo kids rated it liked it
Homer continues his adventures, but as a back seat passenger at times, letting his relatives take center stage. Still good writing and imaginative stories, but lacking some of the charm of the first book. The post-Depression setting may puzzle young readers a bit, and prevent them from identifying with Homer as much.
Dan
Jun 26, 2009 Dan rated it really liked it
This is the essence of homespun humor. Grandpa Hercules' stories are hilarious, as is the way they confound his listeners' sense of credulity. I don't wanna overthink it but this book is as good as any exploration of the way that stories can be true whether or not they really happened that way.
Selah
Oct 03, 2015 Selah rated it it was amazing
Rounded up from 4.5 stars. Not quite as charming as the original Homer Price, but still completely adorable. Favorite quote:
"Tomesimes," said the sheriff sadly, "I wix my mords all up, but sis thuff ixxes 'em mup so I don't even snow what I'm krying to snay!"
Aug 25, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children/fans of homer
I found this book in a library sale was was thrilled- I hadn't read the original book in years, but these charming tales are almost as good as the original. Great to visit familiar characters, but try to read "Homer Price" first.
Julie
Apr 10, 2009 Julie rated it did not like it
I don't think we've ever successfully made it through this book. It's such a snorefest that Homer himself is sleeping on the cover. Such a disappointment after the wonder and magical storytelling in "Homer Price."
  • Henry Reed's Babysitting Service
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • Freddy Goes to Florida
  • Cotton In My Sack
  • Leif the Lucky
  • Tucker's Countryside
  • The Trolley Car Family
  • The Little Riders
  • Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis, #2)
  • Kildee House
  • The Mad Scientists' Club (Mad Scientists' Club, #1)
  • Millie's Grand Adventure (A Life of Faith: Millie Keith #6)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Sleeping Dog (Encyclopedia Brown, #21)
  • Miss Pickerell Goes to Mars
  • The Good Master
  • Rabbit Hill
  • Seabird
John Robert McCloskey (September 15, 1914 – June 30, 2003) was an American writer and illustrator of children's books. He both wrote and illustrated eight picture books and won two Caldecott Medals from the American Library Association recognizing the year's best-illustrated picture book. Four of those eight books were set in Maine: Blueberries for Sal, One Morning in Maine, Time of Wonder, and Bu ...more
More about Robert McCloskey...

Homer Price (2 books)