Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want

Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  41 reviews
As The Millionaire Next Door revealed, and millions of Americans now realize, building wealth isn't just about working harder or what you choose to invest in: it's about spending smarter. Now, award-winning Tribune Company personal finance columnist Gregory Karp shows how to do just that. This book isn't about depriving yourself: you don't have to become a "financial anore...more
Published January 1st 2008 by FT Press

Stephanie Blake
Gregory Karp has loads of good suggestions for how to spend smart. His advice covers everything from everyday spending to financial investments. I totally agree with his premise that "your day-to-day spending decisions will impact your finances more than any investment decision you will ever make."

Both my book, "Money: How to Be Rich Without It and How to Stretch It Using Ten Hints from the Past and the Technology of Today" and Gregory Karp's book "Living Rich by Spending Smart" help you focus...more
Georgia
I think this book is for people with absolutely no financial sense at all. I read it looking for some tips on how to make smarter decisions with my money, but I realized after reading this that I have a pretty good handle on my spending already.

The author's tips might be useful for someone who is out of control with their spending habits, but for me, it wasn't very helpful.
Tangi
Another good budget book, same philosophies that we all know but it's good to be reminded...
Tawni
I love reminder books on how to be frugal. Always helps :)
Chloe
I know what you're thinking -- why is Chloe, frugal and good with money, debt-free since paying off her student loan in 2003, reading a book about smart spending? Well, partly for fun and partly to see if I could come up with more money saving tricks.

I was always good with money, but a lot of the stuff in this book is stuff I hadn't considered when I was in college, first living on my own, and I think this does point out a lot of things that people -- even people who are good with money -- don'...more
Cathy
Some pretty good advice in here but nothing I could use at the moment... a lot of this information is not new, already learned Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard. A good book for beginners perhaps.
Amy
Jun 19, 2011 Amy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011, kindle
Karp reiterates a lot of what I already knew, so it's not a 4 or 5. I did find him to be straight-forward and someone who "makes sense" to me. I loved that he clarified that saying you're putting in new windows to save money isn't quite true, and same with buying a hybrid car. I really like the idea of spending your money where YOU find important; I think this is where most people lose out b/c they're complaining about having "no money" but really they have money, they're just spending it on thi...more
Trudy
This book has quite a few practical tips for living within your means and building wealth. For the most part, these are things I have always done, though I did pick up a few ideas for online resources that could make managing my finances easier. You will benefit from this book to the extent that you are willing to put these ideas into practice. However, that could be the sticking point for the very readers who need this most.

Amazon free Kindle download. Now THAT's spending smart!
Sera
Dec 03, 2008 Sera rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sera by: Colleague at work
Shelves: non-fiction, own
This book was all right. Most of the tips on saving money are pretty well known so there wasn't much new insight except for the parts on how to save money on medical and funeral expenses. I must say, though, that the book inspired me to look more closely at our spending to see what opportunities we can find. People aren't kidding when they say that having a baby is expensive so we will be looking to cut expenses in other places. I've already started cutting down on my book buying :)
Caroline
Read this book. Just read it. It presents seemingly tough financial decisions in a clear, concise way. There's no economist jargon to parse through, and topics are set up similar to blog posts so that the book is easy to pick up and put down without having to read back. This book would be great for students in or right out of college who haven't had the chance to take a personal finance class and would like to get an idea of how to make "real world" decisions.
Kathryn
Lots of good advice on spending smarter, but not necessarily going without things you enjoy. This book makes you think about what you really are spending money on and makes you realize it is not that hard to spend wisely and save for other things that truly matter. Some of the tips I knew, but there were many that were new to me. There were a few sections that did not apply to me, but I just skipped those sections or merely skimmed them.
Lisa
This book has a lot of great tips. Many of them seemed liked common sense to me but I know quite a few people who would benefit immensely from reading this book! If you are looking for some basic financial advice to get you on the right track, this book is for you! If you are already financially savvy, this book will validate your financial decisions and you might even pick up a few new tricks to help you spend even smarter!
Lara
While it is not groundbreaking, I did appreciate the easy reading style and realistic approach to improving one's finances. In particular, I liked his emphasis on spending more on those things that are of particular importance to you, and going the less expensive route on the rest. Also, I did pick up a few new points and sources, and felt he provided a good overview without going into too much detail.
Danielle
Some very practical suggestions on better spending on the money you have - where you can get away with cutting corners without losing quality, where you can cut corners because quality doesn't matter, and how to spend money instead on the things you enjoy doing.

Some sharp words too to the overspenders and those who try to live way beyond their means - and facing the reality of those means.
Linden
Writing style is easy to read, but if you're a regular Clark Howard listener, there's not much new here. Book is likely targeted at people that are spending more than they are earning and it definitely does a good job of banging home that you've got to reduce your spending in order to get into financial shape.

I did learn that AAA offered some discounts that I was unaware of.
Kelsey Navarro
Some useful facts but most of it was just information I had read in other places before.
Jeffrey
Free kindle edition.

Some concrete tips here, but nothing worth buying or keeping the book for. Nice points are that he lays out in clear terms the definitely do and definitely don't actions without much fanfare. There is no underlying philosophy or anything, just collections of tips. Lots of internet resources and advice like "Google X for more information."
John
It's a bit dated but it does have some really good information on saving money in everyday life. Not just the whole stop buying lunch at work every day, stop dry cleaning everything and stop buying gourmet coffee all the time. I think the final chapter is the most important chapter in the book on what buying happiness really means.
It was free for the Kindle so I downloaded it. Not my most favorite book about money, but it had some great points and suggestions. I liked that the author concluded by pointing out you remember experiences with friends and family and that things and purchases can't give you happiness like that.
Deepak Gupta
Good book on how to spend smartly. Infact, the biggest take away from the book is not the smart tips that it provides but the underlying message on identifying and distinguishing smart buying from the rest. A recommended book for those who are on tight budgets and also for those who aren't.
Wanda
I read at least one book on finances a year and there is usually not much that is different. This book, however, had quite a few new ideas and referred to a lot of web sites where you could get even more information. It also covered a lot of areas briefly. It was more than worth the read.
John
I read only a few chapters of this book and used the knowledge to go out and save money right away. I picked it up on the Kindle store for a limited time offer of $0. Win, Win, I say! Five stars for delivering information that can be applied immediately.
Mark Wilkerson
Practical, small tips that, if followed, seem to be a good way to save a few bucks here or there. I downloaded it for free on Amazon, so I'm no worse for reading it. It's a good skimmer; read what you find important and skip what isn't.
Autumn
After reading many books with a similiar topic I wasn't sure I would learn anything new. Karp breaks down how we spend money in a systematic way. Finding information on a specific topic would be easy with this format. A quick read.
Tammy
Pretty basic information, but it validated me because I say no to so many things (like cable TV and big birthday parties). I feel more committed to watching for the "leaks" in my budget so I can save for what really matters to me.
Drew
Has some redeeming value. If you read lots of books like this, you will find little you haven't heard and being a couple of years old it feels out-dated overall. I felt like about 15% of it was worth reading for me personally.
Laurel
Free kindle book. Very quick common sense read with many dry funny statements. Not sure I actually gained any knowledge but it never hurts to review/confirm the basics.
Paulia
"It seems we can in fact buy happiness. The key is this concept: Positive life expriences contribute to happiness more than things do."
Nikolaos
It was ok, exactly. Not much new here except a few things. I had to completely skip a couple of chapters. Overall it can't hurt you.
Jeanne
Good advice here, but not a lot new. There are a lot of good references to "frugal" websites. Easy to read.
  • Saving for Retirement without Living Like a Pauper or Winning the Lottery
  • Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional and Personal Life
  • The Simple Dollar: How One Man Wiped Out His Debts and Achieved the Life of His Dreams
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work
  • In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions...When It Counts
  • 25 Days to Better Thinking & Better Living: A Guide  for Improving Every Aspect of Your Life
  • The Truth About Managing People...And Nothing But the Truth
  • The Lazy Project Manager: How to be Twice as Productive and Still Leave the Office Early
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations
  • 5 of USA's Best Trips
  • Making Sense of People: Decoding the Mysteries of Personality
  • Curious Folks Ask 2: 188 Real Answers on Our Fellow Creatures, Our Planet, and Beyond
  • Pictures of the Mind: What the New Neuroscience Tells Us about Who We Are
  • Wired to Care: How Companies Prosper When They Create Widespread Empathy
  • The Rules of Work: The Unspoken Truth about Getting Ahead in Business
  • Brains: How They Seem to Work
  • How to Argue: Powerfully, Persuasively, Positively
The 1-2-3 Money Plan: The Three Most Important Steps to Saving and Spending Smart How to Save Money on Food: Stockpile, Clip Coupons, and Eat at Home More How to Pay Less for Life and Auto Insurance: Know What You Need and How to Shop Pay Less for Phone Services: From Home to Cell (FT Press Delivers Elements) Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want

“Spending Smart is the only way to get out of debt and build wealth. That's a bold, but true, statement. It's like calories are the key to a weight-loss diet. It doesn't matter what the new diet fad is. A diet to lose weight only works if you burn more calories than you consume. Everything else is just window dressing and hype.” 0 likes
“Americans today don't have a problem with debt. They have a problem with out-of-control spending. Debt is simply the result.” 0 likes