Rewind

Rewind

2.78 of 5 stars 2.78  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Sometimes, love only makes sense backward.
This is a teen romance like no other -- a thrilling tale of betrayal and heartache told in an incredible reverse format. Think MEMENTO meets SUMMER BOYS!

Published April 1st 2006 by Scholastic Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Rewind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rewind

The Host by Stephenie MeyerTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie Meyer
100 in 2009
141st out of 162 books — 62 voters
Just Listen by Sarah DessenPretty Little Liars by Sara ShepardThe Rules of Survival by Nancy WerlinIt's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned VizziniLife As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer
YA Novels of 2006
80th out of 113 books — 55 voters

More lists with this book...

I hated this book. I feel bad even saying that, but it's true. It's gimmick/appeal is that it's written backwards, starting at the end of the story of Lucas, Hope, and Cady and working to see how it all began. I tend to hate that sort of thing (it's got timestamps at the beginning of each chapter) but I kept at it to see where it was going, which was dumb, because I knew where it was going because it started with that. Does that make sense? Anyway, there was no resolution (obviously) and even af...more
Oumou
Nov 21, 2011 Oumou added it
In the beginning of the book Cady was pretty shy because of her long-time crush, Lucas. In the middle of the book she begin seeing the other side of Lucas. He begin being mean to people by hitting them against the wall, punching them in their stomach, kicking people in their backs and etc...
Cady and her best friend started to know who Lucas was in reality.
at the end of the story Cady saw something she could never imagine Lucas would do. He slapped Hope, his girlfriend, who cried and said she was...more
Shannon
I thought this book was pretty stupid. It's been a while, but I remember finally getting to the end and being disappointed at the shabby explanation for why the whole thing started.
Kaion
Mar 07, 2010 Kaion rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: teen
We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming for a public service announcement: Mutual emotional whining is not love, teenagers. Girls, violent boys are just that -violent- and dangerous, not misunderstood. Boys, no matter how heartbroken you may, it is no excuse to resort to hitting.

Rewind tells the story of Cady, Lucas, and Hope, three seniors whose entanglements with one another end in a bad prom night. The title of the book refers to Downer's usage of reverse chronological order as she...more
Sarai
Amazon Product Description
It's prom night. Shy hippie chick Cady is hoping for a dance --- and a hook-up ---- with her long-time crush, the sexy musician, Lucas. Instead, she witnesses Lucas commit an act of unforgivable cruelty toward his date, the gorgeous and popular Hope. But nothing is what it seems. As the story unfolds in backward time -- retracing one senior year --- we see a slowly developing photo of the truth. Roles are reversed, secret motives are exposed, and hidden desires come to...more
Josianne
This book was interesting in the way that every chapter brought the story farther back in time, but I have to say that I didn't really like this story. Just because of the way the story was presented the ending wasn't really an ending and it was all very strange.

I really liked Cadu and Lucas together, but Hope just brought down the story for me. In the end I was just so frustrated with how things turned out and couldn't really concentrate on anything else. It was just very unsatisfying.
Jayla
I want to delve into the dark deep crevices of Dower's mind to figure out what sort of mind creates a book like this. This book is amazing, I've never read a book backwards before and I can't believe that it flowed so well and made so much sense. Rewind brings ill fated love to a whole new level and Dower does a great job of not spoon feeding you the ideas but letting you come to your own conclusions.In fact, Dower's novel might just bring back long forgotten memories of past loves. If you belie...more
Lucille
This story was told back to front, starting with the ending and working back through time to see how it all began. It seemed like an interesting way to write a novel when I first picked it up, but it just didn't really work out the way that I thought it might. The characters felt forced, the climax wasn't that exciting and it just lacked something. There are a lot of stories out there that have a dark hidden secret from the past that is revealed at the end, but they seem to do a more successful...more
Vicky
I liked this book, but the way it was formatted confused me. It was nice to see the two characters' friendship evolve from bitter anger to kindness, but I really wondered if I should have just read from the back to the front. I thought Cady and Lucas were cute together, but was taken back by Lucas's obsessive relationship with Hope. Sometimes, I felt like the middle was not in fact the past but the present, you know? I read it but I never had time to type up a review but I do remember some of th...more
Kelly
I'm not sure how I feel about this book. It goes backward in time, from the end to the beginning. Hence the name, Rewind. But I ended it not really having an answer for the beginning, or at least not an adequate answer. It was a typical teen story - good girl, bad girl, and boy in the middle. At any rate, I'm glad I read it. Of course then, I've never read a book I was sorry I read. Give it a try. Maybe you'll see something at the end that I missed. After all, it's been a LONG while since I was...more
Eve
This book is what happens when you try to write a book that runs in reverse chronological order and you don't OUTLINE the shit out of it first.
Characters change personalities between scenes and between sentences. It's rushed and sloppy. I see what the author was trying to do, but it really doesn't come across well.
My version was an ARC picked up from Goodwill, maybe some of it was fixed before publication, I don't know. But the version I read was just... lackluster.
Kimberly Polanco
Sep 28, 2008 Kimberly Polanco rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers and people in love
Recommended to Kimberly by: The Public library
Rewind is about a shy girl named Cady Sanchez who has a long-time crush named Lucas Wheeler. But Lucas is wrapped up in gorgeous, popular Hope White. Hope White happens to be an old friend of Cady. At prom night Lucas slapped Hope White in the face and of it changes everything. This book is read backwards. From the end of the book to the beginning of the book, it might get confusing but once you get the hang of it is a great book.
Caitlan
The book "Rewind" by Laura Dower is told from ending to begining. The books is told from 3 character's points of view and shows everyones side of the story.It begins with the events of Senior Prom night and then goes back in time to eveything that leads up to this miserable night for Cady, Hope and Lucas. I enjoyed the way the story was told and how I could learn everything each character experienced.
Gail
I tried to finish it even though the book from the start to 3/4 was pretty typical. I kind of expected the ending to answer all my questions but it just made me more confused. I still like it because it peaked my interest
Janis
I thought it would be really interesting to write a book backwards--and was excited to see this book written in just that way. Sadly, that was the best part of the book. The characters were annoying so you didn't really empathize with them. The ending (beginning?) was also much too abrupt--no denouement epilogue or anything to wrap it up. They dropped the ball on this one.
Anaiz
Sep 28, 2010 Anaiz rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Like the title hints, this story is told backwards. I don't think I understood the story any better, but it was interesting to see "why" things happened or turned out after knowing how it ends. It was quick read and a little different than most stories I've read, but the characters didn't really stick to me, 2.5 stars.
✿。.:*:.。✿*゚Khlooᗪ゚*✿。.:*:.。
Okay, I didn't not like this book at all. I'm sorry. The beginning I was like OMG why the hell did Lucas hit Hope and why Lucas say that Cady was the one. I though there was going to be a really good book but everything was just so confusing.
Gineiris
This was a very interesting book in the way that it was written. It was written backwards and you really had to pay attention to what was happening. I wasn't so happy with the ending because it left so many questions left unanswered.
Zinniah Free
This book was really good. I loved how Laura Dower wrote it from the last chapter to the first. You could feel the moods of the characters and on the cover of the book when it says "Sometimes love only makes senses backwards" is true.
Echo
It's been a while since I read this one, but I remember liking it. The characters were well-developed and the author did a very nice job of keeping the story interesting and easy-to-follow, despite the backwards sort of order to the plot.
Tarryn
The concept of this story was really cool-starting with the end and going backwards to the beginning. But overall, the story just went nowhere. The characters were underdeveloped and I was left completely unfufilled.
Eanaa Immature
Not my cup of tea one bit. An interesting way to write a story but the plot was to much for me to bear. I don't like it at all. In the end, there wasn't exactly an ending.
Kalaisha Totts
I liked the book. I liked the way it goes from end to beginning. That's how I write my stories. I finished the book a bit confused but hopefully I figure it out. Good read though.
Emmy Lou
Mar 25, 2012 Emmy Lou marked it as on-hold
I picked this up at a thrift store, so I'm only out 89 cents if I don't like it.

3-25-12
I lost my copy... so until I find it, it's on hold.
Brooke
Such a amazingly-compelling-awesome-sweet-lesson teaching-cool-overall fantastic book! Such a perfect plot, BACKWARDS! wow.
Syazmine Nazwani
i read it at my school library and i read it rush so i think it was not bad...de story is easy to understand.
lalakary
sigh... i got dissapointed at the end. nothing really special that the story was leading up to.
Nina Foyabo
It was a good book, but i was quite confused with the whole "ending to beginning" thing.
Erin
i hated it this book totally sucks do not read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Polina
Very deep book, some parts were confuzing though.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Laura Dower worked in marketing and editorial in kid’s publishing for many years before taking a big leap to the full-time life of an author. Since 2000, she has penned 90+ books–from picture books to young adult fiction and nonfiction. Along the way, she had two sons and a daughter. Laura and her groovy family of five live in Yonkers, NY.
More about Laura Dower...
The Boy Next Door (Candy Apple #2) Only the Lonely (From the Files of Madison Finn, #1) Boy, Oh Boy! (From the Files of Madison Finn, #2) Play It Again (From the Files of Madison Finn, #3) Save the Date (From the Files of Madison Finn, #7)