Start by marking “Deep Thoughts” as Want to Read:
Deep Thoughts

Deep Thoughts

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,266 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
A unique collection of Handey's "Deep Thoughts"--irreverent observations on life as seen on Saturday Night Live. An Emmy Award-winner and co-producer of SNL, Handey's works have been published in The New Yorker, National Lampoon, Omni, and Playboy.
Published June 1st 1992 by Berkley (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Deep Thoughts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Thoughts

Jason Koivu
May 24, 2013 Jason Koivu rated it really liked it
There was a time when "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy" was the only part of SNL's hour and a half that made me laugh. Handy's absurdist humor touched my funnybone, and my funnybone is a queer little fella. It takes odd observations, as seen below, to set me to tittering. Handy and his Deep Thoughts collection's got what I need!

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kinda scary. I've wondered where this started, and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus and a clown killed my d
Griffin
Apr 07, 2008 Griffin rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who like dry and dark humor
Recommended to Griffin by: Sigmund Freud
I just pulled out my old copy of this today. What a timeless classic! One on my favorites- "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is 'God is Crying'. And if asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did'.
Wes Locher
May 18, 2010 Wes Locher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, 2010-reads
You're probably familiar with Jack Handey's hilarious Deep Thoughts if you watched Saturday Night Live in the 1990's. This super quick read provides random and completely irrelevant thoughts on life and many other odd things. Don't come here looking for eloquent prose or thought-provoking text, simply read Handey's hilarious one liners and enjoy the feel of the smile that will without a doubt appear on your face.

There are several sequels to this book along with a collection of family-related an
Denise
May 27, 2013 Denise rated it liked it
If you start reading this, you might, at first, think it's a lame quotations book, but as you read further, you'll realize it's actually not - it's a lame AND FUNNY quotations book.
Just to give you taste of it's dry humour:

Sometimes when I feel like killing someone, I do a little trick to calm myself down. I'll go over to the persons house and ring the doorbell. When the person comes to the door, I'm gone, but you know what I've left on the porch? A jack-o-lantern with a knife stuck in the side
Kirk
Sep 04, 2010 Kirk rated it really liked it
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh no," I said, "Disneyland burned down."
He cried and cried, but I think that deep down, he thought it was a pretty good joke.
I started to
Allison
Feb 26, 2008 Allison rated it really liked it
i found this gem in a thrift store for 50 cents. it never ceases to make me laugh. i'll often just pick it up off the coffee table and read a page and it will keep a smile on my face for the day. my favorite part being the disneyland piece (too funny!) it's a great coffee table book for homes of the dry & witty humored!
Tiffanymlewis
Feb 06, 2009 Tiffanymlewis rated it really liked it
Crystal
Jun 06, 2008 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Laughter
Shelves: important
This book defines my sense of humor.
nimrodiel
Yup, still disturbing. Heres a few I really laughed at though.

I wish I had a kryptonite cross, because then you could keep both Dracula and Superman away.

If you're a young Mafia gangster out on your first date,I bet it's really embarrassing if someone tries to kill you.

I think in one of my previous lives I was a mighty king, because I like people to do what I say.

If the Vikings were around today, they would probably be amazed at all the glow-in-the-dark stuff we have, and how we take so much of
Hillary
Nov 10, 2008 Hillary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entertainment
The best thing about this book was reading it sitting on the floor in the bible section of Barnes and Noble with Jenny and cracking up to the point where we almost got kicked out. Reading them aloud with someone else is the best thing ever - or maybe only when it is done with The Jenny.

Many, many people are not hilarious enough to "get" the jokes, though. I, however, am not one of those people.
Natalie
Aug 17, 2012 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Saturday Night Live's Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy. You should appreciate this even if you've never heard of Jack Handy. And, if you don't, you're not my friend.
Will W
Mar 03, 2008 Will W rated it liked it
Nice, dry humor in short quotes. Handey (SNL writers) is crazy, funny, and seemingly fixated with death and dismemberment. I read it while hanging out in B&N.
Garrett
Feb 08, 2010 Garrett rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy
Someone just gave this to me, very funny. I would have rated it higher but a third of the material wasn't funny but the rest more then made up for it.
Brycedwyer
Nov 07, 2008 Brycedwyer rated it it was amazing
Mrs. J.D. Johnson, my 11th grade English teacher, confiscated this book from me. To retaliate, I refused to read Pride and Prejudice.
Brooke
Nov 12, 2008 Brooke rated it it was amazing
Jack Handey rules. Contrary to popular belief, he's a real guy. It brings me back to the days when Saturday Night Live was funny.
Rose Hall
May 20, 2008 Rose Hall rated it it was amazing
Always, always good for a laugh... A perverse laugh, yes, but anything that makes us laugh in this world can't be all bad.
Jake Kern
Feb 03, 2008 Jake Kern rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, favorites
If I have to explain why any Jack Handey book would receive 5 stars, then don't even bother picking up the book.
Jessica
Dec 21, 2007 Jessica rated it it was amazing
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why
several of us died of tuberculosis."
Hollie
Mar 05, 2010 Hollie rated it it was amazing
This should be public domain it's such a classic. ;) Inane, insane, and pretty much just ridiculously funny.
Shauna
May 20, 2008 Shauna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Shauna by: Mom
Funny one liners. Good for a laugh and then it was time to pass the book on to another moocher.
Matt Mazenauer
Jun 29, 2007 Matt Mazenauer rated it it was amazing
Would I have had anything besides Simpsons to quote in middle school without this book? Who knows.
Beth
Mar 18, 2008 Beth rated it it was amazing
A laugh a minute. Great john reading. Place it in the guest washroom for company.
Bubba
Mar 26, 2008 Bubba rated it really liked it
I wish I had a cross made of kryptonite so I could keep both Dracula and Superman away
Aimee
Jul 30, 2008 Aimee rated it it was amazing
There is no mood so bad I can't be made happy again by reading some Deep Thoughts.
Carrie
Jun 30, 2010 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
I forgot I had this little book and reading it brought back happy memories & laughs.
Amber
Oct 29, 2007 Amber rated it it was amazing
a really good pick me up on your lunch break from your shitty job and you need a laugh.
Roy Buttons
The most honest book I have read since Jim J. Bullock's autobiography.
Mar 10, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This book has always helped me when I am in a grumpy mood.
M'Lee
Jan 25, 2011 M'Lee rated it it was amazing
Always cheers me up to read these :)
Sam
Jul 04, 2010 Sam rated it really liked it
cute and funny, love the TV skits
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • Mountain Man Dance Moves: The McSweeney's Book of Lists
  • Dave Barry's Greatest Hits
  • You Are Worthless: Depressing Nuggets of Wisdom Sure to Ruin Your Day
  • The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Amazing Colossal Episode Guide
Jack Handey is an American humorist. He is best known for his Deep Thoughts, a large body of surrealistic one-liner jokes, as well as his "Fuzzy Memories" and "My Big Thick Novel" shorts. Many people have the false impression that Jack Handey is not an actual person, but a character created by Saturday Night Live or a pen name used by National Lampoon.
More about Jack Handey...