Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “One Small Step Can Change Your Life: The Kaizen Way” as Want to Read:
One Small Step Can Change Your Life: The Kaizen Way
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

One Small Step Can Change Your Life: The Kaizen Way

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  1,850 Ratings  ·  232 Reviews
Introducing the practical and inspirational guide to incorporating Kaizen and its powerful principles into one's daily life. Rooted in the two thousand-year-old wisdom of the Tao Te Ching--"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"--Kaizen is the art of making great and lasting change through small, steady increments. Kaizen is the tortoise versus the ...more
Hardcover, 182 pages
Published June 1st 2004 by Workman Publishing (first published 2004)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Wafaa Golden
Nov 18, 2015 Wafaa Golden rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
يتحدّث الكتاب عن مبدأ الكايزن
ومعناه باختصار اتّخاذ خطوات بسيطة للوصول لإنجازات عظيمة..

الكتاب قيّم الفكرة
ومليء بالأمثلة الواقعيّة المحفّزة..

وجدتُ نفسي أطبّق قانون الكايزن في حياتي ومشاريعي قبل أن أسمع بالكايزن أو أقرأ هذا الكتاب..
والسّبب أن مرجعيتي الأولى هي كلمات حبيبنا رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلّم
والذي لم يدع منحى من مناحي الحياة إلّا أشار إليه ووضع له الحلول والأساليب المناسبة..
وقد يرد هنا سؤال..
يعني هل كان رسولنا الكريم على اطّلاع بمبدأ الكايزن؟!!!ا
أو ربّما يقول قائل ها أنت تفعلين كما يفعل
...more
Kerfe
Feb 02, 2013 Kerfe rated it it was amazing
Last fall Megan McArdle wrote a piece for The Daily Beast titled "What's Wrong with Self-Help Books?" We all read them, and why not? As she says: "I have not noticed that the people who surround me at conferences and social gatherings are so perfect as to require no futher improvement." Yet for most people there is some shame involved in admitting they get useful advice from these kinds of books.

But it can. And it did.

I think I read about Maurer's book in Elle magazine, right when it was publish
...more
Ahmed Almawali
كان أول ما سمعت هذه الكلمة (الكايزن) من الراحل الفقي بأسلوبه المحفّز المثير، ظننت أصلُها وأسّها ياباني، إلا أن الكاتب روبرت موريور يبدأ كتابه بالقول بأنها أمريكية الأصل انتقلت بعدها إلى اليابان بعد الحرب العالمية الثانية؛ لتصبح عقيدة يؤمن بها اليابانيون
اصنع أسئلة صغيرة، اعمل أعمالا صغيرة، فكر بأفكار صغيرة، قدّم مكافآت صغيرة، انتبه للحظات صغيرة، كل ما يدور حوله هذا الكتاب
الأميجدولا محور يقوم حوله الكتاب، فعلى رأي الكاتب أن الأعمال الكبيرة، والتغييرات المعقدة المركبة التي ننوي تغييرها في نمط حياتن
...more
Laura
What a terrific book! Do you remember the film "What About Bob" with Bill Murray? This book, written by an expert in motivation with a background in therapy, teaches the concept of kaizen, or continuous improvement.

Don't be overwhelmed by a big challenge. Attack it in teeny steps. Each day, walk forward, just one small step. And watch the big become small.

From the back flap: As one client succinctly put it, 'the steps are so small, I couldn't fail'. And as far as being too busy to solve a prob
...more
Brandon Tom
Mar 14, 2011 Brandon Tom rated it liked it
In "One Small Step Can Change Your Life: The Kaizen Way," Robert Maurer, Ph.D., makes the case that, because people are resistant to dramatic changes, trying to improve your life through drastic measures (such as giving up smoking cold-turkey or going on a crash diet) usually leads to failure (although the author admits this is not always the case). Instead he recommends that we take small, almost insignificant steps towards our goals. In doing so, we lessen our resistance to change and ...more
Ramy
Mar 08, 2016 Ramy rated it really liked it
تعرفت على كلمة او مفهوم الكايزن من الكتاب السابق
اضغط الزر و انطلق
و من حلقة ل احمد الشقيرى عن اليابان و كونسيبت الكايزن

كتبت ف ريفيو سابق لاحد كتب التنمية البشرية ان ما فى الكتاب يلخصه الرسول الكريم معلمنا الاول منذ 1400 فى احاديثه النبوية للصحابة
و اليوم اكرر نفس الكلام....
"خير الامور ادومها و ان قل"
"ان المؤمن كيس فطن ان الدين يسر و لن يشاد الدين احد الا غلبه فعليكم ب الغدوة و الروحة و شىء من الدلجة"

صدق رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم
يعنى الانسان يوم ما ينوى يقوم باحد اعمال الخير لا يبدأ ب الكثير
...more
Ewurama
Sep 25, 2008 Ewurama rated it liked it
3.5 stars

Good books inspire, soothe, excite, amaze, motivate, confound, delight, intrigue—or do any number of other good things—maybe not all at once, but without fail they bring something extra to the table. I would argue that every really good book will get you thinking, and some will even get you acting differently. By this measure, One Small Step Can Change Your Life: The Kaizen Way is a good book.

Kaizen is a Japanese word that refers to "achieving great and lasting success through small, s
...more
tomlinton
Jan 02, 2009 tomlinton rated it really liked it
Back in the nineties
when I was Deming fan
Kaizen was my favorite word
I read a lot about it
I approved of continuous improvement
How in the world
did I overlook the philosophy
of small affordable changes
rather than revolution?
Klaasje
Nov 11, 2015 Klaasje rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ontwikkelen
Ik ben een alles of niks type. Dat is misschien prima als je dan voor alles gaat en daar heel goed in bent, met voldoende energie en weinig stress. Maar dat heb ik dus niet, ik wil zoveel dat ik dicht sla en alles te snel verandert in niks. Daarbij heb ik na 36 jaar toch eindelijk geleerd dat teveel te snel willen (veranderen) zelden gebeurt vanuit een positief gevoel. Meestal is het onvrede waardoor je alles ineens helemaal anders gaat doen, negativiteit dus. En helaas wordt dat vaak ...more
Narinder  Bhatia
Sep 25, 2016 Narinder Bhatia rated it really liked it
An interesting, simple and practical book on how kaizen principles could be applied to solve problems not only in our professional(business) life but in personal life too. The simple approach of the book is commendable and the tips/ techniques mentioned in the book are indeed simple enough to be put to practice.
Michelle
Sep 18, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
I actually really enjoyed this book, although I don't generally read self-help books I didn't have any trouble getting through it.

It isn't the best book, certainly. The author likes to pat himself on the back a lot (there is a lot of mention of Christmas cards he receives from past patients and mistakes multi-million dollar corporations have made that could have been avoided if they had only listened to him) which can be kind of irritating, and there were parts that I thought that the writing w
...more
George Rodriguez
Jul 22, 2013 George Rodriguez rated it it was ok
Shelves: success
One Small Step Can Change Your Life: The Kaizen Way is a nice little book. It clocks in at under 200 pages and has a somewhat interesting premise. Based on the Japanese technique of Kaizen, or continuous improvement through small steps, the author lays out a plan that follows that logic.

I would classify this book as a Twitter book because you can sum it up in 140 characters or less. ”Start small and celebrate every improvement you make on the road to success.”

And when the author says small, he m
...more
John
Feb 11, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
When I saw this audio book in the library, I was a little skeptical, as it seemed like a kind of hokey self-improvement book. However, I was really impressed by both the general ideas and the specific actions suggested throughout.

Very often, we (particularly we in America or we in a "Western" culture) think of change in grand terms. We make New Year's resolutions that are hugely ambitious in scope--how we will go to the gym every day, while also strictly adhering to a perfect diet, and treating
...more
Warren
This book made me cry. Dr Robert Maurer is a physiologist and consultant. He weaves intimate stories of personal transformation, with case studies in organisational transformation. In doing so he links individuals' personal perspectives and feelings with the choices and actions we may take to benefit ourselves, our families and our organisations.
The 'Kaizen' and 'continuous improvement' information is provided in a gentle that supports the narratives of people overcoming their own difficulties
...more
Jenny
Feb 03, 2009 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book. It's simple and quick, but very insightful and life changing. I feel so empowered, like I can actually make the millions of changes in my life that I want and need to make. This book teaches Kaizen principles -- the concept that small steps have a much longer lasting effect in our lives than when we try to make big leaps. One small step truly can change our lives. I loved it. I'm not one for self help books, and I would consider this in that category, but it ...more
Scott Miles
Aug 11, 2014 Scott Miles rated it really liked it
It seems simple. Take things one step at a time. Some of the ways this philosophy can be implemented are counter-intuitive, however. This book does a pretty good job of showing how the Kaizen way of small, incremental steps toward improvement applies to much more in life than one might imagine. Just get started. Do something, anything, and this will help establish a habit of activity and progress toward a goal.
Jasmine
May 19, 2016 Jasmine rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
I'm always reluctant to rate this type of book before giving the process a complete try, but this just sounds like it can't not work. And apparently I've been using a bit of a modified Kaizen method while reorganizing and it's been helpful.

Based off a Japanese method which they originally learned from us it entails starting a desired change by making the tiniest most insignificant steps possible.
Eugene Kok
Dec 06, 2012 Eugene Kok rated it it was amazing
An awesome book, it just shows that one small step per day can really shape some one's life, the author mentioned that humans brain are designed such a way to resist change, that's why even though we know going for exercise and continuously studying or even typing when your hands are tired can be good, but the body and mind would just resist it, but by doing small things that matters and gradually can lead to a big change for everyone.
Derek Emerson
Mar 28, 2009 Derek Emerson rated it liked it
A good, quick ready. Skimming would be fine. The idea is to focus on small goals in life instead of the large one which you give up on. I've heard the same idea in different ways, but this is a clear attempt at formulating a way of life based on the idea. At times the ideas seem like a stretch -- he addresses the idea of radical change just a bit and that really needs to be addressed. Chap. 2 was especially good.
Ali S.
Aug 19, 2016 Ali S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

طريقة الكايزن لروبيرت ماورير

كيف تحسن حياتك باستخدام الكايزن ؟!! كتاب خفيق ورائع ويمكن استخدامه لتحسين حياتنا بشكل مستمر عن طريق امور صغيرة وبخطوات بسيطة ولكن التغييرات البسيطة ستؤدي الى نتاج كبيرة ومبهرة بعد فترة

كل ما عليك هو القيام بالخطوة الاولى والانطلاق بدون خوف او رهبة

في النهاية يجب ان لا ننسى ان رحلة الالف ميل تبدا بخطوة ,

Anita
Jan 09, 2012 Anita rated it really liked it
Pretty good, for a self-help book. Nothing shocking (small changes are easier to implement than large ones!) but it's all laid out in a reasonable manner and I did find it a worth-while read. I like how the author really encourages you to keep your brain working at all times, even if it's only in tiny increments. (The "Ask Small Questions" chapter was one of my favorites.)
Amanda
Nov 04, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was fantastic for those looking to achieve goals of all sizes. I will definitely come back to this book in the future to read again.
Tarek
Sep 23, 2011 Tarek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books4exchange
كتاب رائع

يتحدث عن فكرة ان الإنسان لا يستطيع ان يبدأ شيئا و يكون عظيما منذ بدأه

كل شىء عظيم يبدأ بسيطا

هكذا كل شىء
الشركات الأكبر بدات بشركات صغيرة جدا
Annie
Oct 02, 2016 Annie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Start each day with the question "What small step can I take today to make an improvement in the quality of my life?" It can be as trivial as walking up and down a few steps, flossing a tooth, reading one page of a book, spending five minutes to clean an area of the house, saving a dollar, or going to bed five minutes earlier. It is better to spend two minutes every day on improving something than trying to motivate yourself to spend 30 minutes a week for a bigger goal. These small, trivial ...more
Bdalton
Jun 14, 2015 Bdalton rated it really liked it
This small, powerful book proposes that an idea that was originally used by the Americans to transform World War II factory productivity can be used by individuals to transform their lives. The philosophy is simple. Great changes can be made through small steps. The American cultural approach to dealing with self-improvement is to make a goal and to assault the goal. The reptilian brain resists change of all types. The basic science behind Kaizen is:

Large goal = fear = access to cortex restricte
...more
Andrey Shvets
Sep 23, 2016 Andrey Shvets rated it did not like it
Shelves: crap, non-fiction
Sorry for my french... притянутая за яйца херота.

Why is this a book and not a two-page booklet?
Hey, kids, let me tell you a secret. It is much easier to finish small tasks than big ones... whaaaat?! БДЫЩЩЩЩ! MIND BLOWN!!! This practice... no... philosophy! This philosophy is so awesome that it has it is own name. It works all the time except when it doesn't. And we know it is cool because Japanese use it.
Srikanth Krishnamurthy
Apr 15, 2016 Srikanth Krishnamurthy rated it it was amazing
One of the interesting books to read. The core concept is to focus on small things be it small thoughts, small actions, small problems, small rewards and so forth which will help everyone to achieve big. If there are moments for one to worry that there are plenty of big things that we have on our plate, there is always a momentum with series of small steps in all big things to pay attention to and the author introduces the wonderful approach named "Kaizen" that entirely helps us to crack the ...more
Daria
Oct 31, 2014 Daria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Idea fajna. ALE. I tych "ale" jest wiele: drażniąca "amerykańska" narracja, przedstawianie siebie - autora- co najmniej jak półboga, który może rozwiązać każdy problem pstyknięciem palca, mało praktycznych i możliwych do wykorzystania przykładów zastosowania techniki...
Także warto zainteresować się samą techniką, niekoniecznie za pomocą tej książki.
Wade
Jun 16, 2011 Wade rated it liked it
About the Japanese concept of "kaizen" and how small steps and a focus on incremental improvement can lead to great results, as opposed to shooting for grand innovation that never gets off the ground. Not an intolerable read for a business/self improvement book and succinct.
Hamza
Jan 03, 2014 Hamza rated it really liked it
خطوات صغيرة تحسن حياتك ... لكن لا يجب ان يلهيك هذا التحسين عن انك مخلوق روحاني ..لا تتطور الا بالرجوع الى صدق اللحظة .
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine editions of a Robert Maurer's book 3 143 Aug 22, 2016 11:20PM  
  • Kaizen: The Key to Japan's Competitive Success
  • Change Anything: The New Science of Personal Success
  • Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success
  • Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making
  • The Resilience Factor: 7 Keys to  Finding Your Inner Strength and Overcoming Life's Hurdles
  • Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want
  • The Heart of Change: Real-Life Stories of How People Change Their Organizations
  • Creating Customer Evangelists
  • Stand Up for Your Life: A Practical Step-by-Step Plan to Build Inner Confidence and Personal Power
  • Who's Got Your Back: The Breakthrough Program to Build Deep, Trusting Relationships That Create Success--And Won't Let You Fail
  • 50 Success Classics: Winning Wisdom For Work & Life From 50 Landmark Books
  • You, Inc.: The Art of Selling Yourself
  • Hard Goals: The Secret to Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • Time Warrior: How to defeat procrastination, people-pleasing, self-doubt, over-commitment, broken promises and Chaos
  • Het slimme onbewuste - Denken met gevoel
  • Innovation You: Four Steps to Becoming New and Improved
  • Use Both Sides of Your Brain: New Mind-Mapping Techniques
  • Suddenly in Charge: Managing Up, Managing Down, Succeeding All Around

Share This Book



“One of the study’s major findings was that in the successful relationships, positive attention outweighed negative on a daily basis by a factor of five to one. This positive attention wasn’t about dramatic actions like throwing over-the-top birthday parties or purchasing a dream home. It took the form of small gestures, such as: using a pleased tone of voice when receiving a phone call from the partner, as opposed to an exasperated tone or a rushed pace that implied the partner’s call was interrupting important tasks inquiring about dentist appointments or other details of the other person’s day putting down the remote control, newspaper, or telephone when the other partner walked through the door arriving home at the promised time—or at least calling if there was a delay These small moments turned out to be more predictive of a loving, trusting relationship than were the more innovative steps of romantic vacations and expensive presents. Possibly, that’s because small moments provide consistent tending and nurturing.” 5 likes
“Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.” —Albert Einstein” 4 likes
More quotes…