Praying God's Word: Breaking Free From Spiritual Strongholds

Praying God's Word: Breaking Free From Spiritual Strongholds

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  5,640 ratings  ·  117 reviews
How do Christians learn to practice 2 Corinthians 10: 3-5, "tearing down strongholds by captivating our minds with the knowledge of God?" Beth Moore teaches that to be set free from each and every stronghold which claims our lives, we have to replace it with the mind of Christ and fervent daily prayer.Praying God's Word is a topical prayer guide addressing fourteen strongh...more
Published April 1st 2000 by B&H Books (first published March 31st 2000)

Bethany
I cannot put a finish date on this book because it will never have one. Next to my Bible it is the most used book that I have. I call it my Bible Handbook. For anyone who is really serious about becoming all that God means for you to be this book is a must have.
Rebecca
I have been reading this book for quite a while now, it is an integral part of my quiet time with the Lord in the morning and I don't seem to stop reading it over and over. Praying the Word back to God these past few months has been powerful in my walk with Christ. There is POWER in praying God's word back to Him! By God's grace He has been so faithful to deliver me from many strongholds that have held me captive for years, misbeliefs and lies that I held as core truths and values in my life! On...more
Dot
Awesome book, that can be an independent study, topical bible study or just a personal reference on several "trouble spots" of the christian walk. I have seen it used as a group bible study but because of the temptation to share outside of the group, I would recommend a very defined and disciplined fixed group to be the most successful. I use it as a topical reference and "check-up" for my heart condition and my walk.

Overcoming
Idolatry
Unbelief
Pride
Deception
The Insecurity of Feeling Unloved
Feel...more
Carmen
Maybe I read this book at a wrong time in my life... Or it may be my catholic upbringing with "man made prayers" that makes me unconfortable with Praying God's Word. I prefer to talk to God instead. I read His word and reading it reminds me that what I am asking is within His will, which is mainly what the author says in this book. But I prefer to use my own words or just say "Lord, I don't know what I need, but I trust You. Please help!"
Adam Shields
Short review: After reading the cover story in Christianity Today in August on Beth Moore, I thought I should probably read something by her. I had a copy of Praying God's Word in audiobook that my mother had purchased on our shared Audible.com account a couple years ago. So I started listening to it. It was great content. If you have heard about praying by using scripture, but have never done it or would like more instruction, this is a great place to do it. But DO NOT get this on audiobook. It...more
Karen
Intense book if you work through it front to back. It has so much content. And I can see it being a great book to refer back to when I'm going through any of the specific problems it breaks down in the individual chapters.

This book definitely made me read the Word in a new way. I search more for application and ways to pray and connect with the stories.

I definitely recommend this book, but I don't know if it's the best book to go through in a small group setting. I think it would be better self...more
Britt
This book gave me some wisdom I was needing, particularly the chapter on Belief. Many chapters do not apply, but Beth Moore covers just about every stronghold in this book and how to pray yourself or others out of it. I found it helpful to have read the other chapters because it allowed me to be more compassionate to others with different struggles.
Mevanee
This book is a wonderful prayer guide for praying about the strongholds of idolatry, pride, lack of forgiveness, hurts. Moore once again does a great job of making God's word apply to our lives, particularly our prayer lives. I've prayed all my life, but I found the book added a new depth to my prayers and a new meaning for my prayers.
Soul Passport
If I had to choose a single book that was pivotal in changing my life's direction, this is it. It's an amazing book. I have the audio version as well and often times listen to it as I lay in bed at night. Thank you, Beth, for listening to God's direction in your life. You've changed this life forever.
Molly
It's a good reference for those moments when your mind gets confused and muddled and you lose the plot (which for me is all the time)
Whether you happen upon hurt feelings, unforgiveness, depression, or anything that clouds your ability to think straight, it is so great to have this book handy.
Nicole
More of a devotional than a book to read, per se. Wonderful prayers based on Scripture arranged by topic. I have the Kindle edition and the format doesn't lend itself to be utilized as easily. I got the devotional that accompanies this book at the same time (both were offered for free for a limited time along with a number of other books by Moore) and that works better for me on the Kindle. I think a print book would be better for this title because one could just flip to different prayers based...more
ifocus
Heartfelt

I would recommend this book for anyone who feel they might have stumbled, fell or even possibly lost sight of the Holy Spirit, the peace in their heart, or simply is one that takes interest in reading a selection of prayers written by another believer and follower of Jesus Christ.
Dionne
May 30, 2010 Dionne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!
Shelves: spiritual
I can't even begin to say how much I love this book. I have never thought so highly of a book that I've gone out and bought copies of it for family and friends, but I've done that with this one.

For years I've wanted a book that had done the research on scriptures that could be turned into prayers. Beth Moore has done that and so much more. I have yet to read or study anything done by Beth Moore that I wouldn't rate with 5 stars!!

I give this book my highest recommendation! You don't want to jus...more
I read this book on my Kindle, but I have ordered a copy to mark up and use again and again. Not only that, but I have already ordered and given away three copies Beth Moore addresses strongholds with which people struggle, and she brings compassionate and loving insight into these issues, followed by scriptures that can be used to combat these strongholds as "the battlefield is the mind."
K
This book wasn't really what I was looking for. It is mostly just a series of short prayers that are just paraphrases of scripture. Not easy to read and pray, I am finding the Day by Day version of the book to be more useful. Nothing against Moore's writing, I was just looking for something to inspire my prayer life and this format didn't do it.
I most appreciate that this book provides a great resource of scripture references dealing with "spiritual strongholds" like anxiety, etc. Scripture and the Holy Spirit do the actual work of healing us, of speaking to our hearts and setting us free from besetting sin or captors. I would recommend this book as a resource to someone struggling with a particular issue she addresses, but I don't think I would use this book as a Bible study for personal or group use.
Angie
Love this! More of you, Lord. Less of me.
Barb Madison
absolutely fabulous! Done the study twice
Chris
This is so helpful! It's not mystical or name it claim it, it's just the bible and prayer. For instances I was struggling a lot with hurtful people and really just wanting to rage against them. This book had a chapter on praying God's word when rejected. She has a chapter full of verses that applied directly to my situation and ways I could turn those into prayers! printed some out and kept them in my immediate area. I prayed them A LOT! They changed the way I reacted to abuse and helped me keep...more
Rena
Love Beth Moore's books.
Jamie Holloway
Read review on my blog
Queen  Diva
I was given this book by my spiritual mom, who is also a first lady waiting for her husband to be obedient before he will be appointed a pastor over a church again, four years ago. I read it from time to time as a reminder that I have power and dominion through the word of God. When I pray God's word things shall come to pass. I must be mindful of the power of God's words when praying for HE hears me and angels are commanded to take my words to heaven and to bring them down to earth to come to p...more
Christina
This will be a book I will refer back to, I'm sure. There are so many strongholds that can take over our lives and keep us from obtaining the relationship with our Heavenly Father that we so desire, as well as the happiness and freedom we long for. It is highly likely that at least one of these chapters will apply to your current place in life, and either way, reading through the scripture prayers and recommended verses is a wonderful way to dive into the truths of the Bible.
Rachel
This is a great tool for prayer - something to come back to again and again.
Felicia
I highly recommend this book to anyone experiencing (or close to someone who is) anxiety and/or depression. This is an excellent tool for prayer and meditation in hard times, you can read the whole thing or pick out sections that speak to you. Ms Moore prepares prayers you can use and references scripture, also, you can build from her prayers or look at how she constructs them and make your own. I'll be referring to it again and again.
Julie
I really liked the book, but I was a little disappointed still.

I'm not sure what I expected, just something more... In the past I've done several Beth Moore studies but this is the first Beth Moore book I've read. Maybe I was expecting as much out of a book by her as I get out of one of her studies???? But overall it was good and I often refer back to it for help finding specific scriptures during specific struggles.
Beth
3.5 would be a better rating. Great way to start my day with Scripture, but by no means enough to satisfy my study time alone with God. The Scriptures could certainly be a springboard into more personal study, & that's probably the goal of this book. I love Beth Moore's studies for the very reason of being able to delve in to a passage profoundly.
Laurie Garcia
This is a great great book for those who are struggling with issues such as depression, hopelessness, addiction, loneliness, etc. Her words are very wise, thought provoking and moving. The passages of scripture only adds to helping us break through the things that are holding us back. I highly recommend this book!
Kelly Anderson
What an amazing resource pertaining to so many strongholds that we struggle with! I loved this book!
Leanna
This is a great resource when you just don't have the words to pray...organized by topic/situation - Overcoming Fear, Despair, Pride, etc. It's a go-to for me, and also something I've recommended and given away many, many times. I keep having to buy my own, and one of these days I need to keep one!
InHisCare Reading...: PRAYING FOR COUNTRY/CONGRESS 1 3 Oct 16, 2013 10:26AM
  • Having a Mary Spirit: Allowing God to Change Us from the Inside Out
  • The Power of a Praying Woman
  • A Confident Heart: How to Stop Doubting Yourself & Live in the Security of God's Promises
  • He Still Moves Stones
  • A Woman After God's Own Heart
  • Lies Women Believe: And the Truth that Sets them Free
  • Discerning the Voice of God: How to Recognize When God Speaks
  • The Search for Significance: Seeing Your True Worth Through God's Eyes
  • Lord, I Want to Know You: A Devotional Study on the Names of God
  • Streams in the Desert
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • Secrets of the Vine: Breaking Through to Abundance
  • Walking with God: Talk to Him. Hear from Him. Really.
  • Lessons I Learned in the Dark
  • The Bondage Breaker
  • Calm My Anxious Heart
  • The Bait Of Satan: Living Free from the Deadly Trap of Offense
  • The God Chasers: My Soul Follows Hard After Thee

FROM THE AUTHOR'S WEB PAGE: Beth founded Living Proof Ministries in 1994 with the purpose of teaching women how to love and live on God’s Word. She has written numerous books and Bible studies, including Breaking Free, Believing God, and When Godly People Do Ungodly Things, that have been read by women of all ag...more
More about Beth Moore...
Breaking Free: Discover the Victory of Total Surrender Esther: It's Tough Being a Woman [With 6 DVDs and Leader Guide, Member Book] So Long, Insecurity: You've Been A Bad Friend To Us Get Out of That Pit!: Straight Talk about God's Deliverance Believing God

“Faith is not believing in my own unshakable belief. Faith is believing an unshakable God when everything in me trembles and quakes.” 9 likes
“...if God teaches us victory in Christ Jesus day by day, we live in the constant awareness of His greatness and His sufficiency. Hard lessons are often long-lasting lessons. Never forget that God is far more interested in our getting to know the Deliverer than simply being delivered.” 8 likes