Start by marking “Praying God's Word: Breaking Free From Spiritual Strongholds” as Want to Read:
Praying God's Word: Breaking Free From Spiritual Strongholds

Praying God's Word: Breaking Free From Spiritual Strongholds

4.45  ·  Rating Details ·  9,901 Ratings  ·  166 Reviews
How do Christians learn to practice 2 Corinthians 10: 3-5, "tearing down strongholds by captivating our minds with the knowledge of God?" Beth Moore teaches that to be set free from each and every stronghold which claims our lives, we have to replace it with the mind of Christ and fervent daily prayer. Praying God's Word is a topical prayer guide addressing fourteen strong ...more
Published April 1st 2000 by B&H Books (first published March 31st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Praying God's Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Praying God's Word

Bethany
Apr 08, 2010 Bethany rated it it was amazing
I cannot put a finish date on this book because it will never have one. Next to my Bible it is the most used book that I have. I call it my Bible Handbook. For anyone who is really serious about becoming all that God means for you to be this book is a must have.
Rebecca Jo
Aug 18, 2009 Rebecca Jo rated it it was amazing
I have been reading this book for quite a while now, it is an integral part of my quiet time with the Lord in the morning and I don't seem to stop reading it over and over. Praying the Word back to God these past few months has been powerful in my walk with Christ. There is POWER in praying God's word back to Him! By God's grace He has been so faithful to deliver me from many strongholds that have held me captive for years, misbeliefs and lies that I held as core truths and values in my life! On ...more
Dot
Jun 11, 2012 Dot rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
Awesome book, that can be an independent study, topical bible study or just a personal reference on several "trouble spots" of the christian walk. I have seen it used as a group bible study but because of the temptation to share outside of the group, I would recommend a very defined and disciplined fixed group to be the most successful. I use it as a topical reference and "check-up" for my heart condition and my walk.

Overcoming
The Insecurity of Feeling Unloved
Feel
Carmen
Apr 11, 2012 Carmen rated it liked it
Maybe I read this book at a wrong time in my life... Or it may be my catholic upbringing with "man made prayers" that makes me unconfortable with Praying God's Word. I prefer to talk to God instead. I read His word and reading it reminds me that what I am asking is within His will, which is mainly what the author says in this book. But I prefer to use my own words or just say "Lord, I don't know what I need, but I trust You. Please help!"
Soul Passport
Jul 16, 2012 Soul Passport rated it it was amazing
If I had to choose a single book that was pivotal in changing my life's direction, this is it. It's an amazing book. I have the audio version as well and often times listen to it as I lay in bed at night. Thank you, Beth, for listening to God's direction in your life. You've changed this life forever.
Amy
Nov 17, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, devotional
loved loved loved reading this every morning with my coffee! Beth has worded the scriptures into prayers, topically, for focus on areas we need the Lord's help to overcome....pride, insecurity, guilt, etc. Can't recommend this one enough! Prayer is so powerful, much more so than any self-help strategies.
Molly
Mar 16, 2013 Molly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual-growth
It's a good reference for those moments when your mind gets confused and muddled and you lose the plot (which for me is all the time)
Whether you happen upon hurt feelings, unforgiveness, depression, or anything that clouds your ability to think straight, it is so great to have this book handy.
Adam Shields
Oct 26, 2010 Adam Shields rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
Short review: After reading the cover story in Christianity Today in August on Beth Moore, I thought I should probably read something by her. I had a copy of Praying God's Word in audiobook that my mother had purchased on our shared Audible.com account a couple years ago. So I started listening to it. It was great content. If you have heard about praying by using scripture, but have never done it or would like more instruction, this is a great place to do it. But DO NOT get this on audiobook. It ...more
Sarah Jamison
Apr 26, 2016 Sarah Jamison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Straightforward and comprehensive, Moore's Praying God's Word is just that: a topically organized set of scriptures she has written into prayers and organized according to the strongholds that have the greatest impact on most believers. Each chapter begins with an outline of a stronghold-- addiction, despair, and unbelief among others-- often including personal anecdotes and testimonies of having overcome a particular stronghold.

This may not necessarily be a book to read from start to finish. T
Karen
Sep 18, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious, 2012
Intense book if you work through it front to back. It has so much content. And I can see it being a great book to refer back to when I'm going through any of the specific problems it breaks down in the individual chapters.

This book definitely made me read the Word in a new way. I search more for application and ways to pray and connect with the stories.

I definitely recommend this book, but I don't know if it's the best book to go through in a small group setting. I think it would be better self
K
Apr 18, 2014 K rated it liked it
This book wasn't really what I was looking for. It is mostly just a series of short prayers that are just paraphrases of scripture. Not easy to read and pray, I am finding the Day by Day version of the book to be more useful. Nothing against Moore's writing, I was just looking for something to inspire my prayer life and this format didn't do it.
Mevanee
Jan 07, 2010 Mevanee rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful prayer guide for praying about the strongholds of idolatry, pride, lack of forgiveness, hurts. Moore once again does a great job of making God's word apply to our lives, particularly our prayer lives. I've prayed all my life, but I found the book added a new depth to my prayers and a new meaning for my prayers.
Britt
Oct 27, 2009 Britt rated it really liked it
This book gave me some wisdom I was needing, particularly the chapter on Belief. Many chapters do not apply, but Beth Moore covers just about every stronghold in this book and how to pray yourself or others out of it. I found it helpful to have read the other chapters because it allowed me to be more compassionate to others with different struggles.
Leslie
Oct 24, 2016 Leslie rated it it was amazing
I have wanted to learn more about praying scripture for quite some time and this book has definitely helped in getting me going. It's a process and as she writes in the end not all topics will be found but the Word of God will always have an answer.
Scarlett Pierson
Must buy this book immediately! Not a book to borrow! The prayers listed are so great. If you are struggling with truth and strongholds this book must be purchased, then studied, read, recited, meditated on because it's all scripture to the specific need. What a great book!
Kerry Cotten
I still use this book with my prayer time
Kathryn
Jan 13, 2017 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-hardcopy
Extraordinary!! If you are serious about your relationship with the Lord, a must read. It will change your life.
  ღ☆ღ  Brenda
Need to learn how to break free of the worlds way/mans way? This book will help you get there.
Ashley
Feb 04, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it
Shelves: resource
What an awesome resource! This book takes God's promises from scripture and turns them into heartfelt prayers. Even more importantly, the book encourages you to use your own words and gives you some opportunities in the last chapter. This is not a book you read cover to cover, so I focused on the chapter about praying through depression. There was a lot of truth and hope in that chapter. It was so encouraging to see other characters from the Bible crying out against their own darkness, and cling ...more
Dionne
Mar 09, 2016 Dionne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!
Shelves: spiritual
I can't even begin to say how much I love this book. I have never thought so highly of a book that I've gone out and bought copies of it for family and friends, but I've done that with this one.

For years I've wanted a book that had done the research on scriptures that could be turned into prayers. Beth Moore has done that and so much more. I have yet to read or study anything done by Beth Moore that I wouldn't rate with 5 stars!!

I give this book my highest recommendation! You don't want to jus
Queen  Diva
Oct 05, 2010 Queen Diva rated it really liked it
I was given this book by my spiritual mom, who is also a first lady waiting for her husband to be obedient before he will be appointed a pastor over a church again, four years ago. I read it from time to time as a reminder that I have power and dominion through the word of God. When I pray God's word things shall come to pass. I must be mindful of the power of God's words when praying for HE hears me and angels are commanded to take my words to heaven and to bring them down to earth to come to p ...more
Allyson
Aug 20, 2014 Allyson rated it it was ok
Skipping ahead to strongholds that were relevant to me, I didn't find this book particularly fulfilling. The first chapter was excellent. It really got me thinking that I needed the same message Ms. Moore learned: Don't believe in God. Believe Him!

I found somethings didn't sit well with me. I need to find a book on the same subject by a Catholic. I just believe different things than her. We have the same basics, but I crave depth. I need depth that only Catholicism will (and has) satisfy (satis
Chris
Jul 02, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing
This is so helpful! It's not mystical or name it claim it, it's just the bible and prayer. For instances I was struggling a lot with hurtful people and really just wanting to rage against them. This book had a chapter on praying God's word when rejected. She has a chapter full of verses that applied directly to my situation and ways I could turn those into prayers! printed some out and kept them in my immediate area. I prayed them A LOT! They changed the way I reacted to abuse and helped me keep ...more
Nicole
Jan 22, 2014 Nicole rated it liked it
More of a devotional than a book to read, per se. Wonderful prayers based on Scripture arranged by topic. I have the Kindle edition and the format doesn't lend itself to be utilized as easily. I got the devotional that accompanies this book at the same time (both were offered for free for a limited time along with a number of other books by Moore) and that works better for me on the Kindle. I think a print book would be better for this title because one could just flip to different prayers based ...more
Michelle
I found some of the concepts and tools that the author tried to teach in this book very useful. I look forward to adapting the concept of praying God's word to my own prayer time and it has given me much food for thought. I must say though that I struggled with the format of this book. It made it difficult for me to stay on topic. That did force me to slow down and live with this book for a while which is probably for the best.
Felicia
Nov 08, 2012 Felicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
I highly recommend this book to anyone experiencing (or close to someone who is) anxiety and/or depression. This is an excellent tool for prayer and meditation in hard times, you can read the whole thing or pick out sections that speak to you. Ms Moore prepares prayers you can use and references scripture, also, you can build from her prayers or look at how she constructs them and make your own. I'll be referring to it again and again.
Julie
Jan 11, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity
I really liked the book, but I was a little disappointed still.

I'm not sure what I expected, just something more... In the past I've done several Beth Moore studies but this is the first Beth Moore book I've read. Maybe I was expecting as much out of a book by her as I get out of one of her studies???? But overall it was good and I often refer back to it for help finding specific scriptures during specific struggles.
Oct 21, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: prayer
I most appreciate that this book provides a great resource of scripture references dealing with "spiritual strongholds" like anxiety, etc. Scripture and the Holy Spirit do the actual work of healing us, of speaking to our hearts and setting us free from besetting sin or captors. I would recommend this book as a resource to someone struggling with a particular issue she addresses, but I don't think I would use this book as a Bible study for personal or group use.
Mariana
Apr 17, 2015 Mariana rated it it was amazing
From a Biblical perspective I think this is a God-breth book. It talks about and prompts you to use God's Word as the weapon It IS. It's not a book from the writer, but from God Himself, organized in many topics such as addiction, pride, and many other stringholds, and can be continued by the reader following the same "recipie". God's word talks about every stronghold possible, we just need to dive in, and the use of this book may help you love this Spirit-powered weapon.
Christina
May 26, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-book-list
This will be a book I will refer back to, I'm sure. There are so many strongholds that can take over our lives and keep us from obtaining the relationship with our Heavenly Father that we so desire, as well as the happiness and freedom we long for. It is highly likely that at least one of these chapters will apply to your current place in life, and either way, reading through the scripture prayers and recommended verses is a wonderful way to dive into the truths of the Bible.
InHisCare Reading...: PRAYING FOR COUNTRY/CONGRESS 1 4 Oct 16, 2013 10:26AM
  • It's NOT About ME: Rescue From the Life We Thought Would Make Us Happy
  • Lies Women Believe: And the Truth that Sets them Free
  • The Search For Significance: Seeing Your True Worth Through God's Eyes
  • Having a Mary Spirit: Allowing God to Change Us from the Inside Out
  • What Happens When Women Say Yes to God: Experiencing Life in Extraordinary Ways
  • Loving God with All Your Mind
  • The Power of a Praying Woman
  • Becoming a Woman of Excellence
  • Walking with God: Talk to Him. Hear from Him. Really.
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • The Bondage Breaker
  • A Confident Heart: How to Stop Doubting Yourself & Live in the Security of God's Promises
  • Confessions of a Prayer Slacker
  • Discerning the Voice of God: How to Recognize When God Speaks
  • Streams in the Desert

FROM THE AUTHOR'S WEB PAGE: Beth founded Living Proof Ministries in 1994 with the purpose of teaching women how to love and live on God’s Word. She has written numerous books and Bible studies, including Breaking Free, Believing God, and When Godly People Do Ungodly Things, that have been read by women of all ag
More about Beth Moore...

“Faith is not believing in my own unshakable belief. Faith is believing an unshakable God when everything in me trembles and quakes.” 20 likes
“May God remind us daily—no matter what kind of obstacles we face—that we are loved and empowered by the One who brought the universe into existence with the mere sound of His voice. Nothing is impossible for Him.” 13 likes