Start by marking “Lake Monsters” as Want to Read:
Lake Monsters

Lake Monsters

A monstrous tale by Vermont's master of the macabre.
Published August 1st 2001 by University Press of New England

To ask other readers questions about Lake Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lake Monsters

Uncle  Dave Avis
Sep 25, 2011 Uncle Dave Avis rated it it was amazing
I like a very wide variety of book subjects. One of these subjects is monsters. I enjoy books like Jaws, MEG, and other types of giant critters what are just waiting out there somewhere for lunch to come by.
I bought this book after reading the reviews and was curious to see what kind of monster inhabited Lake Champlain. This author did a great job of weaving major plots and sub plots and developing his characters. I'm not much into Yankee Gothic, but this was a nice change.
The central characte
This is the first book I completed for my Goodreads 2013 reading challenge, and I can say that the bar has been set so low that it can only get higher.

Hindsight is 20/20, but if I'd read the afterword first, I'd have known that this is Citro's first novel, though it was his second published. So it wasn't good enough to get published on its own; he had to publish something better (presumably) and build a name for himself. Ugh.

His afterword notes that he wrote the characters and the setting as tr
Rita McDowell
Sometimes Graphic

Sometimes Graphic

This book was at times difficult to follow with so many loose ends flapping around that it wasn't easy to read. Having said that, this book may interest those who enjoy gothic writing. While I didn't really enjoy this book as I am not a fan of gothic, I would say that it may be entertaining for others. Individual choice for individual readers.
Betty
Dec 08, 2014 Betty rated it liked it
Interesting setting, interesting characters, unexpected ending. Not a book to read late at night while alone.
Robin Edman
Jul 26, 2014 Robin Edman rated it it was ok
Ick. The second star is because I did manage to finish it. But I wish that I had not bothered.
Cynthia
Dec 25, 2015 Cynthia rated it it was ok
Matthew
Aug 01, 2014 Matthew rated it did not like it
This book just didn't do it for me. From the title and description, I expected a man to be searching for a lake monster. The story starts out that way but then takes a turn and goes off on another plot. There's several holes in the new plot that are either poorly explained or not at all - the girl, her family and the supernatural rape come to mind. At the conclusion of the book, there is a short chapter about the monster that was being sought but by this time, you've been on the new plot for so ...more
Rob Velasco
Apr 28, 2014 Rob Velasco rated it liked it
It started out making me think it was going one way then it totally went the other way. Not sure how I feel about that.
Laronza Wiley-moore
May 13, 2015 Laronza Wiley-moore rated it did not like it
Didn't like it. Would not recommend.
Shirleen
May 18, 2014 Shirleen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kathleen Rogers
Recommended to Shirleen by: Adam Rose
A little short, I wanted more.
Leila
Jan 15, 2011 Leila rated it did not like it
I'll be kind and say Citro has a naive misunderstanding of women. I found the supernatural rape scene to be quite disturbing but not in a good way.
Willow
Jul 03, 2007 Willow rated it really liked it
Not exactly what I was expecting but not a disappointment! This book gets the atmosphere of northern Vermont right.
Jill
Sep 03, 2010 Jill rated it did not like it
Book stunk, horrible ending glad it was only 230 pages!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Mike Wise
Mike Wise is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2016
Maggie Gordon
Maggie Gordon marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
RAYMOND LUCIANO
RAYMOND LUCIANO rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Naomi Downing
Naomi Downing marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Kathy C
Kathy C rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Norman Houser
Norman Houser rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Pudgy
Pudgy marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Shannon Martinka
Shannon Martinka rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Rick Seagroves Jr
Rick Seagroves Jr marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Billie Sexton
Billie Sexton rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Julie Brown
Julie Brown marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Jay Bubar
Jay Bubar rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Todd
Todd marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Kyle
Kyle rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016