Start by marking “Twelve Hats for Lena: A Book of Months” as Want to Read:

hat

for each

month

of the year?

Published September 1st 2002 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Twelve Hats for Lena, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twelve Hats for Lena

Maggie Dore
Jul 28, 2016 Maggie Dore rated it it was amazing
Hahaha!!! I just found this book today, and oh my, I got this book when I was a year old for a personal reason!
Oh my goodness!!
Trust me guys, this is a awesome book! (I love the name) hehe
Cierra Garrison
May 06, 2015 Cierra Garrison rated it really liked it
Twelve Hats for Lena

personal reaction:
I picked this book up because of its eye catching cover. It’s a very beginners book that (on most pages) uses the format of placing the text on one page with a simple back ground and the colorful illustrations on the other. This way, early readers won’t get distracted from the words. Although one page has very simple illustrations, it’s opposite page has incredible ones!! As far as reading level goes, this is more designated for kindergarten level, but chil
Olivia Bailey
Oct 07, 2011 Olivia Bailey rated it liked it
This book is good for teaching the months of the year. The students can become familiar with the diferent holdiays associated with each month. This can also lead to a discussion about seasons.
An activity from this book is students writing and making a connection to each moth like Lena did. An extension to that lesson is the students actually making hats for each month from their previous writing.
This would be good for k- maybe 2nd grade students.
Dolly
Jul 29, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
This is a simple book that celebrates the different months and seasons of the year through various hats. The illustrations are colorful and the narrative is simple, so it's good for beginning readers. Our youngest was happy that she could read it all by herself during one of our library visits.
Mary
Jan 23, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I used this to talk about warm hats for January and February, but it can be used year-round. I love Karen Katz's bright, bold colors, and her commitment to depicting children from all racial and ethnic backgrounds.
Dominique Woodbridge
Feb 06, 2015 Dominique Woodbridge rated it really liked it
Very basic book that tells about the months. It would be good for preschoolers learning their months of the year. All it talks about is how Lena made different hats to go with the different months (and the hats usually had what holiday was celebrated in that month).
Melissa
Sep 01, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
A great, creative introduction to the months of the year! The illustrations are bright and colorful!
Lindsay
Jan 03, 2008 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
months, seasons, hats
David
Apr 06, 2013 David rated it it was ok
This one just didn't appeal to me. The hats were too busy and the poem was mediocre at best. It did give the months of the year, but mostly focused on holidays. Meh.
Hanalei1208 Be
Jul 09, 2010 Hanalei1208 Be rated it really liked it
A great book for story time which talks about the months of the year. There are some nice bright illustrations.
Garren
Apr 05, 2016 Garren rated it it was ok
A fun approach to a "months" book with an obvious extension to crafts time, no matter what time of year it is! Kids laughed at the foldout near the end in readaloud, so that's a win.
Kimberly
Mar 15, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Read this at work. Great for teaching:months, seasons, holidays such as Valentine's, St. Patrick's, Easter, Independence Day, Halloween, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and Christmas.
Joey Hines
Joey Hines rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2016
Olivia Eaton
Olivia Eaton rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2017
Emily Myhren
Emily Myhren rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2015
Tricia
Tricia rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Chelsey
Chelsey rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2012
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Lily
Lily rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Aspasia
Aspasia rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2011
Dimity
Dimity rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2012
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2017
LA Moreland
LA Moreland rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2013
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Pinky
Pinky rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Chase
Chase rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Karen Katz has written and illustrated many books for children, including The Colors of Us, Can You Say Peace, My First Ramadan, Counting Kisses and Where is Baby's Belly Button. Long inspired by folk art from around the world, she was inspired to write her first book, Over the Moon, when she and her husband adopted their daughter from Guatemala, and she wanted to tell the story of welcoming Lena ...more
More about Karen Katz...