Start by marking “Where's My Hug?” as Want to Read:
Where's My Hug?

Where's My Hug?

Jake doesn't want to give his mother a hug when he gets to school. All the other kids will think he's a baby. But when Jake gets home, he finds that his mom has given his hug to his dad, who's given it to the cat, who's given it to a witch, and so on . . . Will Jake ever get his hug back? James Mayhew's gentle story and Sue Hellard's charming illustrations make this a perf ...more
Published January 22nd 2008 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Where's My Hug?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where's My Hug?

Ann
First of all, I really like the illustrations in this book and they fit the story wonderfully! My only issue was that a few times some of the characters looked mad, and I wasn't sure if they were supposed to or not ...

This story is about a little boy who doesn't want his mom to hug him in front of all his school friends because it's embarrassing. But, at the end of a trying day he wants his hug but - uh-oh, Mom already gave the hug away to Dad!

What ensues is the little boy trying to track down
Lisa Vegan
Apr 22, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: boys & girls who sometimes are embarrassed by hugs; kids who like fairy tale type characters
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
Features the most adorable dragon ever! The dragon is great in all its permutations.

I love how when Jake doesn’t want a hug it’s given to someone else then someone else then someone else, and how eventually there are enough hugs to go around. It’s a lot of fun to read how the hug travels from recipient to recipient. Kids who are at those ages when they’re sometimes embarrassed to be hugged by parents in public with delight in this tale.

The illustrations are wonderful, especially of the dragon, b
Kathryn
Feb 10, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
A sweet, imaginative and humorous story about Jake, who refuses a hug from his mom when she drops him off from school. When he comes home, he wants that hug--only to find out that Mom already gave it to Dad--Jake asks Dad for the hug but Dad gave it to the cat... the cat gave it to a witch... and so on. Oh my! In the end, of course, Jake ends up getting a brand new hug from Mom. The illustrations really help to enhance the story. While the story didn't enchant me quite as much as I'd hoped it wo ...more
Beth
Cute story about a little boy who decides he's too big for Mom's hug. He wants it later after a bad day--and finds out the hug has been given away and around...

Illustrations are appealing and nicely detailed for admiring and commenting on little touches such as toys, the knight's shield, and so on.

Fun story with a message just clear enough for little ones and not too annoying or over-sweet for adults who read it to them.

Good for preschool storytime and displays.
Lisa
Nov 14, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this book the first time I read it in Walgreens. It hits home for me. I can relate to this book almost one hundred percent. I love hugs. A lot of the time my friends give me hugs without my asking. I love it. This book is one of the books I say are mine, meaning that it fits me to a T.
Lbbkids
Jake needs a hug when he gets home from school and he wants the hug that he told his mom not to give him that morning. But his mom gave that hug to his Dad, and Dad gave it to the cat, and the cat gave it to a witch... Now Jake's hug has travelled far and wide and he has to deal with knights, princesses, and even dragons before he can track it down again. Perfect for bedtime!
Brittany
Apr 18, 2013 Brittany rated it liked it
Shelves: stereotypes-3661
Where did the stereotype of boys giving hugs or receiving hugs from their mothers come from? Did society create that judgement that it is not acceptable? This is a good book to create a discussion about stereotypes of boys and affection.
Emily
Jan 25, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
Very sweet, beautiful illustrations without overwhelming the text.
Tricia
Mar 28, 2010 Tricia rated it liked it
chain of events set off by a boy's refusal to ug his mother will amuse children...and feed their imaginations.
Tina Bartholoma
Dec 10, 2009 Tina Bartholoma rated it liked it
"hugs, fantasy, boys hug given to knight, princess, dragon, mom"
Erica Eyestone
Cute book about a mom's hug which gets rejected by the boy but then he figures out he wants it. Could talk about how once something is given out it's hard to get it back.
Arapahoe Libraries
Aug 21, 2009 Arapahoe Libraries rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
What becomes of a hug if you don't give it?? This book is the perfect answer.
Karen
Jan 27, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
I liked this story, but I would never give away my son's hug -- I would just save it for him until later. Still, that one missing hug did set off quite a string of events.
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2012
Pinky
Pinky rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2013
Zane ZX
Zane ZX rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2012
Ms. Heather
Ms. Heather rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2010
Riley
Riley rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2013
Fernando Morales
Fernando Morales rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Ecl  Storytellers
Ecl Storytellers rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2012
Silas Nolan
Silas Nolan rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2013
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was ok
Mar 06, 2014
Huma
Huma rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2012
The Library Lady
The Library Lady rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2008
Ki-paule
Ki-paule rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2010
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Aisha
Aisha rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Jeanne
Jeanne rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2011
Honeykids
Honeykids rated it it was ok
May 09, 2010
Kathy E.
Kathy E. rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2013
Born in Stamford, Lincolnshire in1964, James Mayhew grew up in the Dickensian village of Blundeston in Suffolk. After completing a Foundation Course at Lowestoft College, he studied illustration at Maidstone College of Art, graduating in 1987 with First Class honours. His first book for children was Katie's Pictures Show, (Orchard Books 1989) establishing the long running series about a child's ad ...more
More about James Mayhew...