The Stone Key (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #5)

The Stone Key (The Obernewtyn Chronicles #5)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  2,413 ratings  ·  79 reviews
There was a great crash and wood splintered...I had a brief glimpse of a group of Herder priests, bald and robed, peering at me, and then the sundered remnants of the locker door were torn aside and a rough hand reached in to haul me out by the hair. A Hedra captain stared into my face with eyes that burned with a fanatical fire above a thin nose and a lipless slash of a m...more
Trade paperback, Australian edition, 1000 pages
Published 2008 by Penguin Australia

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakTomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenOn the Jellicoe Road by Melina MarchettaSaving Francesca by Melina MarchettaLooking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta
Best Australian YA Books
30th out of 203 books — 317 voters
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingWar and Peace by Leo TolstoyHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Thickest Books Ever
224th out of 632 books — 2,093 voters

More lists with this book...

Teresa
Oct 14, 2008 Teresa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teen-mature age, Obernewtyn and fantasy fans
As an avid book reader, I have this firm belief that re-reading books is such a waste of time as instead of going through the same story, there are thousands more to go through and experience. However, this belief of mine did not hold true when I was younger. Back then, most of my reading experience were through re-reading some (if not the) best books in my life that really ignited my passion for reading. The Obernewtyn chronicles was one of these books that I have re-(re-re)read and is one of t...more
Jonathan
The last time I finished one of the (soon to be seven) Obernewtyn books would have been three to four years ago. As such when I began this massive book (the 1000 pages is one reason I did not get into it years ago) I found my going slow at first as I struggled to re-adjust to the world of the misfits. However once I did I re-found my love and appreciation of this world.

The Stone Key is unusual for a modern day YA novel. It does not move with bristling pace, many of the characters are young adult...more
C.
Apr 24, 2009 C. rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: personne
Shelves: fantasy
This book embodies everything that gives fantasy a bad name.

- Authors under pressure from fans to finish a series, so write quickly and without really wanting to do so.

- Huge, complex plots balloon out of control, resulting in massive doorstop books full of useless prose.

- Total lack of character development/anything good about the writing due to the necessity of finishing fast and keeping the book a vaguely manageable size

- Badly edited; full of glaring contradictions.

As a result, Carmody reso...more
Ren
The best in the series so far. I eagerly await The Sending.
Alsha
It is a huge relief to be done with this thing. What a waste of time. I no longer have any desire to finish this series. I'm going to keep the first three that I love, consider them ideally suited to being incomplete, and forget about the rest. This one was bloated with the author's boredom and it couldn't have been clearer that she just wanted to get through the story. Difficulties were solved in the most expedient way every time, full of deus ex machinas and inconsistent mind-power solutions;...more
Sisi
I LOVE ISOBELLE CARMODY!!!!

There I have stated the unstateable (is that a word?). No seriously, as much as I want to wring her neck for making us wait so freaking long for the completion of the Obernewtyn Chronicles and the Legendsong trilogy, damn the woman knows how to keep us coming back.

We plunge into action straight away; unlike the 4th book where the start was so tedious it took me 10 tries to read it fully, this installment has so much going on. Carmody can write really crappily and far...more
Bree T
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This review contains spoilers.

The spring thaw has come again to the Highlands and Elspeth is once again leading a group of Misfits to Sutrium, the capital, in time for the first elections since the Rebels freed the Land from the oppressive Council and the fanatical Herder Faction. But not all the Rebel leaders want to relinquish their power in a free election, and the Rebels have a tenuous hold on the Land west to the Suggredoon. On the opposite banks, Soldierguards and Herder warrior priests ca...more
Celia Powell
Erin
I kind of felt like I spent this book in continuous argument with some of the plot holes/ethical issues that haven't really been resolved to my satisfaction, but I still love the characters and world, and I read the whole thing in one breathless, suspenseful gulp.
SwEeT MeMoRiEs
Lisamarley :S
arieal's a cunt, man.... but hott
shipfishesses are dolfinns :D
and i also did lernededededededed that yeah we figured out whats gonna happen in number 6.. so HA SUCKERS!!!
Daniel
Aaah, I love it! So much happens, and we are finally about to get onto the road for the final quest. So much is revealed, but there is still a lot left to find/figure out. Who is Salamander? Is it a she? Where did he/she come from? What is Ariel, is he the Destroyer? Why was Matthew in that true dream? How will they get to the Red Queen's Land? Where is the statue that marks the safe passage agreement? How will Elspeth lead the animals to their freedom? Where are the weaponmachines located? How...more
næntsi
I love this series. But this isn't actually a review—it's a complaint. This "omnibus" was split up by the American publisher because, I'm not exactly sure, it was too big? Anyway, Isobelle Carmody was forced to rewrite the middle of the story to make a new ending and a new beginning for the split. I was happy to hear that The Dreamtrails was being published, and I was hoping that it would be published the way it was originally written, but I was also afraid that they'd just keep it separate. Wel...more
blindmouse
Book 5 of the Obernewtyn Chronicles. YA fantasy. (Is it still YA? Difficult to tell.) On a trip to Sutrium, Elspeth is captured by an old enemy, and finds herself drawn into the heart of the violent and controlling Herder faction. And I'd like to write more, but would possibly be lynched by fans for spoiling the plot. SO. THINGS HAPPEN. Oh yes, they do.

Did anybody miss the jumping up and down? So. I have absolutely no capacity to judge this book rationally. But I didn't like The Keeping Place mu...more
Caitlin
HOLY CRAP THAT WAS A GOOD BOOK.

just had to get it out there... XD
This book was my Everest...now i can FINALLY say that i have read a 1000 page book...and better yet, loved it :) Every step through The Stone Key was a magical experience for me. this is, without a doubt, the best in the series so far.
Isobelle Carmody has a beautiful quality that sets her apart from so many writers of her time. The world of Young Adult and Fantasy books is filled with angsty teenage tragedies and torturous paranor...more
Qing
Whenever people see how thick this book is, they can't help but crack jokes about needing a forklift to carry it around. It is quite thick and I'm not sure it really needed to be that long.

It seems that there's a lot more premonitions that happen to help things get done - a lot more than the other novels. Hmm. Sometimes it just seems a bit too convenient.

Also, I kind of got annoyed by the message left by Kasanda. I mean, if you know you don't have that much time to say what you need to say, but...more
Alissa
I'm reading this one at the moment and the mistakes in the book are annoying me - it states at one point that Brydda is missing, but then he speaks, but then he's still missing.

And the talk of the Isis pools - Dameon tells us earlier on that the women immerse themselves once, a year after their child is born - but in this book, they're immersing themselves yearly and not only after they've had a child, but for their first child as well.

I've only read this one once before, while I've read the ot...more
katie
Feb 06, 2008 katie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: josie!
Miss Clark
Well, a good deal better than Wavesong, which dragged on and on. At least we moved forward a little in this volume. Stopped the plague. Reconciled Rushton and Elspeth, though that whole scenario seemed contrived and Elspeth has set out on her quest, sort of. We also got a lot more background on Hannah and Cassandra! Now we just have to wait for two more books. We think. It might actually be five more books and twenty years. Let us really hope it is a lot sooner and just two more volumes.
Grace
Although the Stone Key moves much faster than The Keeping Place did Carmody's writing style is beginning to leave me cold. The names and placeshave been mounting up and are now a complete mystery to me , and I refuse to look at the included dictionary every 5seconds. That and the neverending bleakness of the story are really hampering my enjoyment. How can the author make such exciting plots read in such a dull way? I'm starting to think that perhaps I won't bother with the next book?
Melanie
I absolutley LOVE the Obernewtyn Chronicles. This one was mega intense and had you hanging on the Edge, and falling off sometimes. I Love the style that Carmody used for these books. The Big issue gets solved in the end but with a few pages left, just enough for her to Throw the next thing at you, amazing. Cliff Hangers Galore, I can't imagine Waiting for them to come out, I would have DIed. I would recomend this to anyone who enjoys a bit of Fantasy
D.J
I have been reading this series since I was about 10 years old, (21 years in other words) I have eagerly purchased each new book that came out and waited (sometimes impatiently) the years in between. It is worth it, I am no longer a child but still find it as magical and beautiful as I did way back then. I can't even guess how many times I have read Obernewtyn (the first book)

I can't rate this high enough, SO highly recommended
Elspeth LaMorte
The US edition of this book was broken into two volumes, which makes it confusing but was a good move on their part (title 'wavesong' included). This is a very long book, in which a very many things happen and there are very many characters.

That being said I still love it. This book contains one of the most emotionally devastating scenes about my series OTP that has ever been written about an OTP.
Mazil
When reading The Stone Key and Wavesong separately (the US edition of The Stone Key was split in two), it's evident that the split favours the former more than the latter.

I enjoyed the storyline in The Stone Key more than Wavesong, and the pace was better. In both, however, I feel the lengthy inner dialogues and dream sequences slow down the story a bit too much. Maybe I'm impatient in my old age!
Naomi
There were some good parts in this book, but it took so long to get to them. I felt that I could have skipped the first 300-400 pages without really missing anything important (maybe just one scene). Most of it was just fluff. And as people mentioned before, there were some serious errors in it. I wish Carmody's editors would get back to doing their jobs because the book could have been good if they had.
Liz
Jan 23, 2013 Liz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
The best one so far! This book is very thick but something was always happening (unlike the previous book where nothing happened in the first half and everything happened in the second half).

These books are only for fans though. Very heavy fantasy and at times, unintentionally cheesy. If you didn't get into the books at a young age or you're not into fantasy they would be very hard to pick up.
Neill Smith
Elspeth’s quest to stop the spread of the plague is almost thwarted by Ariel’s torture of Domick and Rushton. New allies help her in her fight against the spread of the plague and in her search for Dragon and the Beforetime weaponmachines. Her quest leads her to Sador but on the eve of the journey to the Red Lands with the rebels, Sadorans, and Rushton she is recalled to Obernewtyn.
Cloud8
The much anticipated fifth book of my favorite series (8 YEARS after the fourth!) did not disappoint. Way cool stuff happens and really gets you excited for the final book which may come out in 2009 or 2010? I had to special order it from Australia which was okay. It was definitely worth the 50 bucks I paid for it.
  • The Chaos Crystal (Tide Lords, #4)
  • Weatherwitch (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #3)
  • The Shining City (Rhiannon's Ride #2)
  • Chronicle of Ages (Celestial Triad, #1)
  • The Twisted Citadel (DarkGlass Mountain, #2)
  • Legends of Australian Fantasy
  • Burning For Revenge (Tomorrow, #5)
  • The Silver Door (The Three Doors Trilogy #2)
  • The Tainted (Isles of Glory, #3)
Isobelle Carmody began the first novel of her highly acclaimed Obernewtyn Chronicles while she was still in high school. The series has established her at the forefront of fantasy writing in Australia.

In addition to her young-adult novels, such as the Obernewtyn Chronicles and Alyzon Whitestarr, Isobelle's published works include several middle-grade fantasies. Her still-unfinished Gateway Trilogy...more
More about Isobelle Carmody...
Obernewtyn (Obernewtyn Chronicles, #1) The Farseekers (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #2) Ashling (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #3) The Keeping Place (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #4) The Sending (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #6)

“It is not foolish to ask a question of the world. We of Vlar-rei make songs or our questions. It is only foolish to want answers.” 3 likes