Start by marking “Wild Irish Women” as Want to Read:
Wild Irish Women

Wild Irish Women

Writers, killers, nuns, patriots, artists, healers, pirates, politicians, entertainers, saints, courtesans, leaders, revolutionaries, lovers, warriors, witches, record-breakers, and eccentrics are among the eclectic roster of Irishwomen resurrected from the dustbins of history by this "rollicking read" (according to Books Ireland).
In times when women were expected to marry
Published December 3rd 2003 by University of Wisconsin Press (first published September 11th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Irish Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Irish Women

Cecelia Hightower
Oct 27, 2012 Cecelia Hightower added it
Shelves: bill

Despite the titillating title, which the author said was used on purpose, this book was really fascinating and very informational. This book consisted of a short life bio of 75 Irish women that lived between 955 AD and 2005. All the women this book honored had passed on before the author wrote the book, this was done by her choice. The writer introduced the reader to women that one would not normally know about unless they were a serious student of Irish history.

The earliest history of these wo
Grace Tierney
Apr 21, 2014 Grace Tierney rated it really liked it
Women don't feature strongly in traditional history books, so I was delighted to happen upon this book filled with mini biographies of 71 "wild" Irish women. Thinking that I would have heard of most of them I flicked confidently through the table of contents and found I only recognised about half of the names. Grouped by categories like political, tough cookies, and stage and screen, it's an easy book to dip in and out of when you have time. A basic understanding of 1900-1932 period of Irish his ...more
Lucy
Jan 17, 2012 Lucy rated it liked it
I promised myself in this new year to read one history and one biography. My shelves contain many very good hardbacks received as gifts only to remain unopened. I began my commitment with "Wild Irish Women" (316 pps) however it proved to be a real slog. It consists of two and three page biography vignettes of famous Irish women. Reading a few bio's every night I suddenly realized how redundant they began to sound. These women were all great in their own right, however this book does not due just ...more
Kaisa
Jan 02, 2015 Kaisa rated it liked it
A varied, vivid and entertaining compilation of short introductions to interesting personalities in Irish history. The structure of the book was a bit confusing, and some of the descriptions seemed quite subjective (i.e. the writer occasionally seemed to deem the person "good" or "bad" according to her own liking, and made all sorts of assumptions quite freely). Nevertheless, the book was an easy read, and introduced many characters previously unknown to me. Gave good ideas for further reading.
McGooglykins
Oct 25, 2013 McGooglykins rated it it was amazing
This was a fascinating read - so many interesting, badass, clever ladies! I got a little thrill of excitement every time they mentioned somewhere that I'd been, too. It made it so much more real to read that someone who had done something truly amazing lived on, say, Nassau Street or St Stephen's Green in Dublin and I'd think 'oh my gosh, I've been there, I've walked the same ground - did I walk past her house?'. It just made everything come that bit more alive to me.
Rebecca Danks
I picked this book up while I was at my nan's looking for something to read in the bathroom (its a good job my nan lives in a library too). It's light reading and enjoyable, but I found that it did not contain quite enough information in each case. I will read it again as it is light reading when you don't want to think too much.
Eileen
Feb 04, 2012 Eileen rated it really liked it
Interesting, short stories of Irish women throughout the ages - royals, pirates, freedom fighters, mistresses, artists, performers, saints, soldiers, and women who pretended to be men. In typical Irish fashion, some of these women had tenuous ties to Ireland the country, but strong ties to an Irish identity. Some fascinating women and incredible stories.
Barbara
Sep 28, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
Interesting collection of short bios of Irish women from all corners. Lots of ideas for characters and further study.
Katherine Hebert
Mar 30, 2013 Katherine Hebert rated it liked it
This book took entirely too long. Interesting bios of many Irish women who mixed things up and changed their worlds and ours.
Maureen
Jun 16, 2014 Maureen rated it liked it
This book was a good quick overview of some very interesting stories of historical women. I liked the span of categories of stories and the historical timeline. It was a very quick read and engaging.
Bev
May 20, 2016 Bev rated it really liked it
Intereresting
Courtney
Courtney rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2011
Síle
Síle rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2012
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Ciara
Ciara rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Olivia
Olivia rated it did not like it
Aug 26, 2015
Grainne
Grainne rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2008
Lanea
Lanea rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2008
Caroline St-Jacques
Caroline St-Jacques rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2009
Tina
Tina rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2012
Monicafisher
Monicafisher rated it it was ok
Sep 22, 2009
Deborah Ryan
Deborah Ryan rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2015
Kristina Malarky
Kristina Malarky rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2016
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2008
Cathryn
Cathryn rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2014
Jen Gore
Jen Gore rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2015
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2013
Olivia
Olivia rated it it was ok
Aug 26, 2015
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2016
Marian Broderick is a freelance editor and a writer. Marian lives and works in London. Her parents are Irish and therefore all her childhood summers were spent in Ireland.
More about Marian Broderick...