Start by marking “Wild Irish Women” as Want to Read:
Wild Irish Women

Wild Irish Women

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Writers, killers, nuns, patriots, artists, healers, pirates, politicians, entertainers, saints, courtesans, leaders, revolutionaries, lovers, warriors, witches, record-breakers, and eccentrics are among the eclectic roster of Irishwomen resurrected from the dustbins of history by this "rollicking read" (according to Books Ireland).
In times when women were expected to marry
Published December 3rd 2003 by University of Wisconsin Press (first published May 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Irish Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Irish Women

Cecelia Hightower
Oct 27, 2012 Cecelia Hightower added it
Shelves: bill

Despite the titillating title, which the author said was used on purpose, this book was really fascinating and very informational. This book consisted of a short life bio of 75 Irish women that lived between 955 AD and 2005. All the women this book honored had passed on before the author wrote the book, this was done by her choice. The writer introduced the reader to women that one would not normally know about unless they were a serious student of Irish history.

The earliest history of these wo
A varied, vivid and entertaining compilation of short introductions to interesting personalities in Irish history. The structure of the book was a bit confusing, and some of the descriptions seemed quite subjective (i.e. the writer occasionally seemed to deem the person "good" or "bad" according to her own liking, and made all sorts of assumptions quite freely). Nevertheless, the book was an easy read, and introduced many characters previously unknown to me. Gave good ideas for further reading.
Grace Tierney
Women don't feature strongly in traditional history books, so I was delighted to happen upon this book filled with mini biographies of 71 "wild" Irish women. Thinking that I would have heard of most of them I flicked confidently through the table of contents and found I only recognised about half of the names. Grouped by categories like political, tough cookies, and stage and screen, it's an easy book to dip in and out of when you have time. A basic understanding of 1900-1932 period of Irish his ...more
This book was a good quick overview of some very interesting stories of historical women. I liked the span of categories of stories and the historical timeline. It was a very quick read and engaging.
I promised myself in this new year to read one history and one biography. My shelves contain many very good hardbacks received as gifts only to remain unopened. I began my commitment with "Wild Irish Women" (316 pps) however it proved to be a real slog. It consists of two and three page biography vignettes of famous Irish women. Reading a few bio's every night I suddenly realized how redundant they began to sound. These women were all great in their own right, however this book does not due just ...more
This was a fascinating read - so many interesting, badass, clever ladies! I got a little thrill of excitement every time they mentioned somewhere that I'd been, too. It made it so much more real to read that someone who had done something truly amazing lived on, say, Nassau Street or St Stephen's Green in Dublin and I'd think 'oh my gosh, I've been there, I've walked the same ground - did I walk past her house?'. It just made everything come that bit more alive to me.
Interesting, short stories of Irish women throughout the ages - royals, pirates, freedom fighters, mistresses, artists, performers, saints, soldiers, and women who pretended to be men. In typical Irish fashion, some of these women had tenuous ties to Ireland the country, but strong ties to an Irish identity. Some fascinating women and incredible stories.
Rebecca Danks
I picked this book up while I was at my nan's looking for something to read in the bathroom (its a good job my nan lives in a library too). It's light reading and enjoyable, but I found that it did not contain quite enough information in each case. I will read it again as it is light reading when you don't want to think too much.
Katherine Hebert
This book took entirely too long. Interesting bios of many Irish women who mixed things up and changed their worlds and ours.
Proinsias Mac Gabhann
Proinsias Mac Gabhann marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Sheila marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Booksjc marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Indu Muralidharan
Indu Muralidharan marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Olive marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Noreen Hacohen
Noreen Hacohen marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Seamus marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Emer marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Andee added it
Jun 10, 2014
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Chelsea Graham
Chelsea Graham marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Marian Broderick is a freelance editor and a writer. Marian lives and works in London. Her parents are Irish and therefore all her childhood summers were spent in Ireland.
More about Marian Broderick...
Hexe im Haus (Walpurgisstraße 13) Wild Irish Women: Extraordinary Lives from History The Witch Apprentice (Anna the Witch) The Lost Fairy Wild Irish Women