Start by marking “How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must): The World According to Ann Coulter” as Want to Read:
How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must): The World According to Ann Coulter

How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must): The World According to Ann Coulter

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  2,226 ratings  ·  188 reviews
CAUTION: You’re about to enter the world of Ann Coulter

How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must), the instant New York Times bestseller, shows why Ann Coulter has become the most recognized—and controversial—conservative intellectual in years. Coulter ranges far and wide in this powerful and entertaining book, which draws on her weekly columns. No subject is off-limits, no co
Published September 27th 2005 by Three Rivers Press (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must)

AJ Griffin
Jul 25, 2007 AJ Griffin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ann coulter
I hovered between giving this a "1 star" rating or a "5 star" rating; the moment of truth came when i let my cursor hover over the fifth star, at which point a little box informed me that five stars means "it was amazing."

And I think we can all agree Ms. Coulter is somewhat amazing.

I don't know why it is, but nothing stimulates my political tickle button like crazy right wing entertainers. Maybe it's some kind of ego thing, and I really just love Bill O'Reilley, Michael Savage, Coulter, etc. bec
Katie Krumeich
Every time I read a positive review of this, or any one of Coulter's books, I start to cry. You think I'm kidding, don't you? I'm sure you think I'm just being glib. Let me assure you, I'm not being glib at all. Every time someone says that this hypocritical and bigoted idiot's points are 'sound,' or anything of the sort, I quite literally feel my eyes well up with tears, and am overcome with the urge to go back in time and bring Socrates or Cicero to America so he can argue down every flawed, h ...more
Ken
Her nonsensical rantings are surprisingly easy to read, which probably speaks to the literacy of her audience.

Lies, contempt, nastiness, and a complete disregard for anything resembling humanity. Even Joe McCarthy would have been uncomfortable around this creature.
Erick
Okay, this book is seriously funny! If you're a conservative, you'll laugh until you can't catch your breath! If you're a liberal, you'll probably set this book on fire and send hate mail to the author! Don't take this book too seriously. Many good points are made and she really nails the liberal thought process, which can be helpful in a heated debate but everything shoud be taken in moderation and "moderation" isn't one of her strong points! Just enjoy the ride and take some notes! :)
Traveller
In this book Ann Coulter mouths off against feminists, liberals, and whoever else depending on what she had for breakfast.
Tamra
May 01, 2009 Tamra rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE
I saw this book on a library shelf and brought it home. I knew nothing about Ann Coulter, and I thought the book was something of a joke. You know, "Ha, ha, liberals are the worst people in the world. Now, seriously, getting down to business: let's discuss, in an academic and productive way, what makes a liberal tick." But no. It wasn't a joke. There was nothing productive about the book. She only used insults to appeal to the hatred inside people. I know someone else who used this tactic well.

A
David Simonetti
The woman the left loves to hate gives them plenty of material in this book. Ann Coulter is provacative, funny and on point with respect to many issues. But because she can sometimes express her point of view in such biting tones, she takes a way from some of her substantive arguments. But instead of throwing pies at her or heckling her speeches, the left would be well advised to take her point of view and consider. She makes some very interesting and provocative points, but I guess the left doe ...more
Devin Wallace
Ann Coulter truly outdoes herself in this ridiculous screed against a spectre of an opponent. She fails to grasp even the most basic tenets of either conservatism or liberalism (even dating back to inception within 17th century Europe) and instead replaces true definitions with her own, which of course, are outlandish and nothing more than pure propaganda. In her eyes, a liberal is someone who hates America, hates God, and hates applie pie. If Ann Coulter was ready to have a proper debate withou ...more
Steph Stiles
Most people won't agree with everything Ann Coulter has to say. In fact, most people would probably like to set her on fire. I can't say I agree. I enjoy Ann's writing, and politics included, I enjoy her commentary. She's controversial, she says mean things. I like her.

There is one article in here that wasn't printed in a women's journal, that I wish readers could disconnect from her political philosophy. The base of the argument was like attracts like, and if you think something is socially acc
Mandy
Tatum Rebelle
Can I give a book negative stars?! I tried to listen to this crazy chick while on a road trip, and I do not remember the last time I disliked someone so much. I had to turn it off because my blood pressure was quickly rising.
Eddie
I get so angry when I read this book, but yet I have trouble putting it down after I start...

Ann Coulter has way of sucking you in, making her points clearly if not at times repetitively.

She smears Democrats/Liberals and some Republicans/Conserveratives with what she calls the "truth" that doesn't appear in major news outlets, but also makes strong arguments and somewhat shows how the mainstream media is biased by liberal inclinations.

One point she makes which I disagree with is that she is an e
Tom Eldridge
I am neither liberal nor conservative, but...I would not put a dime in this whores pocket. Coulter is evil, she should be destroyed, the planet would be a nicer place without her ignorant presence on it.
And all this book is, is a collection of crappy pieces from the early 90's. Typical of this bitch to deceive people into thinking they were getting something new. Just a rehash of the same old hateful garbage, which wasn't particularly witty or entertaining to begin with.
Go to hell Ann, I am su
Samrat
Couldn't take it. I like to keep up with "the other side", but her writing doesn't add anything substantive to the debate. Her criticisms of liberals are just dripping with dehumanizing condescension. I may think some Republicans are naive or callous or sometimes even dumb, but I think they deserve respect as human beings. She doesn't and doesn't care if you know it. And if that's what you want to read? All power to you. And if you want to pick up her rhetorical style? I guess we have nothing mo ...more
deLille
This book is probably quite dated by now, but this collection of articles she wrote in the year of the 2004 election campaign were just hysterical. I don't totally agree with Ann's politics, but she makes me laugh outloud, even when she is bashing my religion (Episcopalian) and political views (not as conservative as hers). I'd definitely buy another one of her books.
Kevin
I must get this off my chest before I proceed to review this book... I am not a liberal; nor am I a conservative. I have leanings that go both sides of the fence. Okay. That's done. Coulter's How To Talk To A Liberal (If You Must) is a collection of her previously published works primarily dating from 1999-2004 in various newspapers and magazines across the country. And it is a vitriolic collection of her political perspective as it relates, primarily, to the war on terrorism among a few other t ...more
Ronda Panucci
I really enjoyed this high speed read book. If you are reading or listening to ANYTHING from Ann Couler...you better buckle in and hold on....and if you are a liberal..... well, you may just implode! Ms. Coulter has a gift of sarcasm that is not only fact backed but she sugar coats NOTHING. Love her or hate her...she is a force to be reckoned with. Quick note...some may need a dictionary or thesaurus close by when reading....
Melinda
Really, if you're going to give a book such an intriguing title, please don't just make it a compilation of old columns. With a title promising to teach the reader "how to talk to a liberal," if he or she must, this book is a huge disappointment when it's not even a guide. Nor does it redeem itself as a collection of outrageous Ann Coulter sayings. Instead, it's quite... boring. And I don't accept that from Ann Coulter.
Michelle r
Jun 01, 2008 Michelle r rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: libs
Coulter for President (after me of course). Kerri, don't cyber burn my books!! Whatev!! The woman says what she believes instead of beating around the politically correct bush. no one does that anymore, we're all too scared of offending someone. She is articulate and an amazing orator when you see her debate live. So even when I don't agree with some of her ideas, I am fascinated with her rhetoric.
Regina Jacob
I didn't really like this book. Not just because I am a half-liberal myself, but because I think she writes a little irrationally--ironic considering she is bashing the "irrational, over emotional" liberal. It's entertaining if you want to read an opinionated journal of articles submitted over the years to various newspapers, but don't expect to learn much from it.
Travis
More of the same from Ann, disguised as a "how to" book, so people won't notice that it's the same old name calling, half truths, and pretense of serious political discussion.

I am amused by the idea that the voice of conservative America wears a leather halter top and mini skirt.
Says something about conservative america, but I'm afraid to over analyze it.
Mark
One of Ann's better books. She is polarizing and, in my personal opinion, a bit rude. I do recognize that it is part of her shtick to come off that way so I give her some slack there. She is hilarious in her delivery. I listened to the Audible version and recommend it as Ann does her own narration.
Anna  Matsuyama
Read for a laugh but after 1/4 I got bored.
The most unbelievable part is that Coulter's all serious. I've shelved this as humour but just as easily this book could be seen as horror.
Delicious Strawberry
I consider myself moderate, and know decent conservatives who are truly concerned about the state of affairs our government is in and want what is best for people without being religious bible-thumpers or the like.

Unfortunately, Ms. Coulter is not one of these sane conservatives. Some of the things that come out of her mouth just befuddle me. One thing that stuck in my mind is how she said that the best way to solve the problems in the Middle East is to force everyone there to convert to Christi
Maria
It's a shame this woman is so nasty because she makes some very valid points. Unfortunately, they get lost in all her name-calling and ugliness. Ann is well educated and intelligent and people would probably listen to her and respect her if she didn't enjoy playing the bitch role so much. Shame because I agree with a lot of what she says, but can't respect her style enough to defend her.
Kimberly
I'm a moderate but I read this book on my dad's recommendation. She has some interesting points but I'm not nuts about her need to bash liberals as hard as she does. It just seems juvenile. I don't like it when liberals do it either.
GoodReadsAccount
Ann Coulter is hilarious. She is absolutely side splittingly, rolling on the ground laughing, tears-to-my-eyes, hilarious. Sometimes she's even RIGHT.
That last bit is far rarer than the rest, but who listens to political pundits because they're right? I only bother watching "news" now if it's John Stewart, Stephen Colbert, or Ann Coulter talking.

"How to Talk to a Liberal" has the best ratio of 'make me want to brain myself' to 'this stuff is hilarious'. If you've never read her, this is probably
Maurean
I just happened to pick up Jen Lancaster's "Bright Light, Big Ass" (HILARIOUSly funny, BTW) at the same time I am reading through this collection. In one section of her book, she (Lancaster) describes Ms. Coulter as being "at the far end of the Micheal Moore-Joe Lieberman-Pat Buchanan political-leaning continuum", but that that she likes her (Coulter), anyway..Me too!! I thought this quote summed up my OWN feelings so precisely that I would quote her, here:

"I know, I know...few authors incite th
James
Feb 11, 2008 James rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sane people who want a good laugh...or crazy people looking for information
A collection of columns from the craziest bitch on the planet. This is such whacked out over the top right wing mindpuke that it cannot help but be entertaining. And the best part is reading it years after the columns were originally published so you can see first hand how drop dead wrong Ann is on just about every issue. To hear her explain what a great decision it was to go into Iraq and how the war is going "swimmingly" is both hysterical and personally satisfying. The best part is the new ch ...more
The Hitler button 6 15 Nov 11, 2012 04:37PM
  • Let Freedom Ring: Winning the War of Liberty over Liberalism
  • The Way Things Ought to Be
  • Liberalism is a Mental Disorder
  • Culture of Corruption: Obama and His Team of Tax Cheats, Crooks, and Cronies
  • An Inconvenient Book: Real Solutions to the World's Biggest Problems
  • America by Heart: Reflections on Family, Faith, and Flag
  • Birth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also Robbing God of Priesthood Children!!
  • Slouching Towards Gomorrah: Modern Liberalism and American Decline
  • 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America: (And Al Franken Is #37)
  • Culture Warrior
  • Men In Black: How the Supreme Court is Destroying America
Ann Coulter is the author of seven New York Times bestsellers — Guilty: Liberal Victims and Their Assault on America (January 2009);If Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd Be Republicans (October, 2007); Godless: The Church of Liberalism (June 2006); How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must)(October, 2004); Treason: Liberal Treachery From the Cold War to the War on Terrorism (June 2003); Slander: Liberal ...more
More about Ann Coulter...
Godless: The Church of Liberalism Treason: Liberal Treachery from the Cold War to the War on Terrorism Slander: Liberal Lies About the American Right Guilty: Liberal "Victims" and Their Assault on America Demonic: How the Liberal Mob is Endangering America

“The idea that making an activity legal would reduce its incidence is preposterous. This is exactly like the Clintonian statement about wanting to make abortion 'safe, legal and rare.' The most effective way to make something 'rare' is to make it illegal.” 19 likes