Start by marking “Answering the New Atheism: Dismantling Dawkins' Case Against God” as Want to Read:
Answering the New Atheism: Dismantling Dawkins' Case Against God

Answering the New Atheism: Dismantling Dawkins' Case Against God

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  156 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The essential book for dismantling Richard Dawkins' atheistic agenda. Scott Hahn and Benjamin Wiker collaborate to debunk Dawkins' theories and show how inconsistent and illogical his conclusions truly are. This is the definitive book for college students or faithful Christians hoping to answer Dawkins' claims and assert the logic and beauty of their faith.
Published May 1st 2008 by Emmaus Road Publishing

Kris
Jun 18, 2016 Kris rated it it was amazing
An awesome mix of penetrating critiques and a bit of witty satire. Short and to the point - this will have a proud place on my shelf one day!
John
Nov 16, 2010 John rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is another typical “yes it is-no it isn’t” book: if you believe in a personal God (and dislike Dawkins) then this is a great book, if you don’t then all the arguments are weak and unconvincing.

Either Dawkins (more like Baruch Spinoza) is correct and there is no personal God, or he is wrong and there is one. In either case the morals of Christianity advocated by the authors must come from the same source as Dawkins’ (when they are good ones). Since Dawkins doesn’t believe in a personal God h
Suzanne
May 29, 2015 Suzanne rated it really liked it
This short book (about 150 pages) answers Richard Dawkins' criticisms of the Christian idea of God.

Dawkins asserts that chance can explain the origins of human life and any unusual phenomenon. Hahn goes to show that such odds are so great that they're virtually impossible. Hahn also tackles Dawkins' vision of morality. If evolution explains everything, and evolution is the reason we are here, and evolution produced our intelligence and reason, then why argue against harsh behaviours that work ag
Jeffrey
Jan 11, 2016 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, catholic
This was a good book, even if at times confusing. I had less trouble understanding the final three chapters than I did the first five. Scott Hahn and Benjamin Wiker are both Catholic theologians and it shows. Of course, they were writing this book from the perspective of theologians who were trying to debunk Richard Dawkins' philosophy in his book "The God Delusion" without resorting to the Bible or Christian theology which Dawkins does not consider authoritative. That could not have been an eas ...more
Anne
Nov 03, 2015 Anne rated it it was ok
Shelves: apologetics
My mistake here was that I have not actually read anything Dawkins has written. After reading this tightly reasoned rebuttal, I don't plan to. I thought these reasoned counterarguments helped me get the general gist of the debate. But this is really a particular rebuke of one of Dawkins's books instead of a consideration of general atheist arguments, so it wasn't quite what I expected and didn't really grab me.
Kevin
Apr 22, 2014 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Rational refutation and a good read

I'm a big fan of Scott Hahn, and I was following and internally validating the logic of most of his arguments....until the last chapter. There, the authors devolved (ironically?) into the same kind of alarmist hyperbole they berate Dawkins for in chapter one. I suppose that was intentional, but it's difficult to refute a ridiculous argument with another ridiculous argument. I very much enjoyed the rest of the book, but I would have been more convinced of the va
Ivan Herrejon mfd
Aug 03, 2015 Ivan Herrejon mfd rated it really liked it
loved it!
Rob
Aug 25, 2008 Rob rated it really liked it
I didn't have my hopes up very high before picking up this title, which is co-authored by a couple of Roman Catholic intellectuals, since many theistic responses to the works of Richard Dawkins et al that I've read have been rather weak. However, I was pleasantly surprised by this book which, I feel, gives Richard Dawkins a much needed spanking.

This is not to say that there are not still challenges on the religious side in synthesizing the claims of scripture with the findings of modern science
John
Aug 07, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from a goodreads.com First Reads Giveaway, and apparently the FCC requires I mention that in my review of it.

This is a very good book. The authors take a look at Richard Dawkins' book The God Delusion, and systematically rebut it. One of the things I particularly appreciated was that authors recognition of the fact that if you are trying to establish whether the Bible is true or not, you can't use the Bible as an authoritative source to make you argument. As s
Robb
May 02, 2014 Robb rated it liked it
A rebuttal but not a true counter argument. The last chapter was speculative -- a big turn off for me.
Rob
Jun 15, 2012 Rob rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
This was a First Reads book through Goodreads. Overall, it was a critical analysis of the faulty reasoning and logic in Richard Dawkin's book "The God Delusion." The authors kept the subject semi-lighthearted considering the complicated nature of the matter, which dealt with the existence of God from a physical, philosophical, and moral understanding. Though likely from a Catholic perspective, it was decent book on the matter.
Ann Kerley
Jul 03, 2013 Ann Kerley rated it really liked it
Lot of good reasoning and argument against Dawkins' rhetoric. Great for anyone seeking to find substance with which to put Dawkins in his place. Does actually dismantle his case against God and demonstrates that often his 'reasoning' is driven by his imperative to prove God does not exist, no matter how ridiculous a position he places himself in to do so. Sound, scholarly read.
Stacy
Jul 20, 2012 Stacy rated it liked it
I won this book as a FirstRead.

This book is a thorough rebuttal to Dawkins' works, including The God Delusion. It was refreshing to see a Christian argument that was based on science, not just what the Bible says, since that would hold no validity to an atheist. I was surprised to see that even other athiests disagreed with many points Dawkins tried to make in his books.
Matt Terboss
I don't normally read books of this sort, but I had read a few things from Scott Hahn and decided to give it a try and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the book. The authors had pointed out more than few things which I hadn't thought of when dealing with Atheism and I did so in an easy to read manner. I would definitely recommend this book to another person.
Michael
Feb 07, 2012 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Not for the (intellectual) faint of heart. I only understood about 75% of what the authors were talking about. This is deep, dense rebuttal of Richard Dawkins's atheism. I think I agreed with most of their points, but not having a strong background in philosophy made some of this book quite impregnable. Short, erudite, and--for me, at least--difficult.
Heather
Aug 09, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
It presumes a familiarity with Dawkins' oeuvre, which I don't have. The book does cite his works in its rebuttals and gives enough for context.
The first chapters regarding chance and probability bogged me down. I did not even try to fathom the numbers given. Things picked up, and made much more sense to me, in the later chapters.

Steve
Sep 20, 2008 Steve rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
A good book to get one thinking about the fundamental differences between a universe based on athiesm and the one based on God. This book is definitely worth reading to understand the fundamentals of the athiests arguments and how disturbing their conclusions are for humanity.
Jenni
May 11, 2010 Jenni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very well thought out, articulated, and reasoned argument on scientific grounds for the existence of intelligent design / a creator of the universe. It is not on theological grounds, which makes the argument refreshing and sort of provocative for our times, really.
Michael
Dec 09, 2013 Michael rated it liked it
Need to be well versed in Dawkin's work, especially Dawkin's most recent publication prior to this book, that these authors refer to a lot and which serve as the basis of this work.
Jan  Kristensson
Apr 04, 2013 Jan Kristensson rated it it was ok
Did not like it.
To aggressive and difficult to follow
annalee
Jan 09, 2013 annalee rated it liked it
a little heady
brian d rogers
brian d rogers is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2016
Carlos Jamett
Carlos Jamett rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Leala
Leala marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Clinton Sites
Clinton Sites marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
K.
K. marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Federico
Federico marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Victor
Victor is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2016
Megan Blakely
Megan Blakely marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Andrea Salcedo
Andrea Salcedo marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
  • The Godless Delusion: A Catholic Challenge to Modern Atheism
  • The Pope & the CEO: John Paul II's Leadership Lessons to a Young Swiss Guard
  • Memorize the Faith! (and Most Anything Else): Using the Methods of the Great Catholic Medieval Memory Masters
  • Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic
  • By What Authority? An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition
  • A Life with Karol: My Forty-Year Friendship with the Man Who Became Pope
  • The Da Vinci Hoax: Exposing the Errors in the Da Vinci Code
  • Theology for Beginners
  • Letters to a Young Catholic
  • The Fathers of the Church: An Introduction to the First Christian Teachers
  • New Proofs for the Existence of God: Contributions of Contemporary Physics and Philosophy
  • Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body
  • The Complete Thinker: The Marvelous Mind of G.K. Chesterton
  • Handbook of Christian Apologetics
  • The Dialectics of Secularization: On Reason and Religion
  • The Last Superstition: A Refutation of the New Atheism
  • Catholic and Christian: An Explanation of Commonly Misunderstood Catholic Beliefs
  • Blessed Are the Bored in Spirit: A Young Catholic's Search for Meaning
Dr. Scott Hahn was born in 1957, and has been married to Kimberly since 1979. He and Kimberly have six children and are expecting their twelfth grandchild. An exceptionally popular speaker and teacher, Dr. Hahn has delivered numerous talks nationally and internationally on a wide variety of topics related to Scripture and the Catholic faith. Hundreds of these talks have been produced on audio and ...more
More about Scott Hahn...