Start by marking “Answering the New Atheism: Dismantling Dawkins' Case Against God” as Want to Read:
Answering the New Atheism: Dismantling Dawkins' Case Against God

Answering the New Atheism: Dismantling Dawkins' Case Against God

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The essential book for dismantling Richard Dawkins' atheistic agenda. Scott Hahn and Benjamin Wiker collaborate to debunk Dawkins' theories and show how inconsistent and illogical his conclusions truly are. This is the definitive book for college students or faithful Christians hoping to answer Dawkins' claims and assert the logic and beauty of their faith.
Published May 1st 2008 by Emmaus Road Publishing

John
This is another typical “yes it is-no it isn’t” book: if you believe in a personal God (and dislike Dawkins) then this is a great book, if you don’t then all the arguments are weak and unconvincing.

Either Dawkins (more like Baruch Spinoza) is correct and there is no personal God, or he is wrong and there is one. In either case the morals of Christianity advocated by the authors must come from the same source as Dawkins’ (when they are good ones). Since Dawkins doesn’t believe in a personal God h
Kevin
Rational refutation and a good read

I'm a big fan of Scott Hahn, and I was following and internally validating the logic of most of his arguments....until the last chapter. There, the authors devolved (ironically?) into the same kind of alarmist hyperbole they berate Dawkins for in chapter one. I suppose that was intentional, but it's difficult to refute a ridiculous argument with another ridiculous argument. I very much enjoyed the rest of the book, but I would have been more convinced of the va
Rob
I didn't have my hopes up very high before picking up this title, which is co-authored by a couple of Roman Catholic intellectuals, since many theistic responses to the works of Richard Dawkins et al that I've read have been rather weak. However, I was pleasantly surprised by this book which, I feel, gives Richard Dawkins a much needed spanking.

This is not to say that there are not still challenges on the religious side in synthesizing the claims of scripture with the findings of modern science
John
I received a free copy of this book from a goodreads.com First Reads Giveaway, and apparently the FCC requires I mention that in my review of it.

This is a very good book. The authors take a look at Richard Dawkins' book The God Delusion, and systematically rebut it. One of the things I particularly appreciated was that authors recognition of the fact that if you are trying to establish whether the Bible is true or not, you can't use the Bible as an authoritative source to make you argument. As s
Robb
A rebuttal but not a true counter argument. The last chapter was speculative -- a big turn off for me.
Rob
This was a First Reads book through Goodreads. Overall, it was a critical analysis of the faulty reasoning and logic in Richard Dawkin's book "The God Delusion." The authors kept the subject semi-lighthearted considering the complicated nature of the matter, which dealt with the existence of God from a physical, philosophical, and moral understanding. Though likely from a Catholic perspective, it was decent book on the matter.
Ann Kerley
Lot of good reasoning and argument against Dawkins' rhetoric. Great for anyone seeking to find substance with which to put Dawkins in his place. Does actually dismantle his case against God and demonstrates that often his 'reasoning' is driven by his imperative to prove God does not exist, no matter how ridiculous a position he places himself in to do so. Sound, scholarly read.
Stacy
I won this book as a FirstRead.

This book is a thorough rebuttal to Dawkins' works, including The God Delusion. It was refreshing to see a Christian argument that was based on science, not just what the Bible says, since that would hold no validity to an atheist. I was surprised to see that even other athiests disagreed with many points Dawkins tried to make in his books.
Matt Terboss
I don't normally read books of this sort, but I had read a few things from Scott Hahn and decided to give it a try and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the book. The authors had pointed out more than few things which I hadn't thought of when dealing with Atheism and I did so in an easy to read manner. I would definitely recommend this book to another person.
Michael
Not for the (intellectual) faint of heart. I only understood about 75% of what the authors were talking about. This is deep, dense rebuttal of Richard Dawkins's atheism. I think I agreed with most of their points, but not having a strong background in philosophy made some of this book quite impregnable. Short, erudite, and--for me, at least--difficult.
Heather
It presumes a familiarity with Dawkins' oeuvre, which I don't have. The book does cite his works in its rebuttals and gives enough for context.
The first chapters regarding chance and probability bogged me down. I did not even try to fathom the numbers given. Things picked up, and made much more sense to me, in the later chapters.

Steve
Sep 20, 2008 Steve rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
A good book to get one thinking about the fundamental differences between a universe based on athiesm and the one based on God. This book is definitely worth reading to understand the fundamentals of the athiests arguments and how disturbing their conclusions are for humanity.
Jenni
This is a very well thought out, articulated, and reasoned argument on scientific grounds for the existence of intelligent design / a creator of the universe. It is not on theological grounds, which makes the argument refreshing and sort of provocative for our times, really.
Michael
Need to be well versed in Dawkin's work, especially Dawkin's most recent publication prior to this book, that these authors refer to a lot and which serve as the basis of this work.
Jan  Kristensson
Did not like it.
To aggressive and difficult to follow
annalee
a little heady
Clinton Ufford
Clinton Ufford marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Idorenyin Ekong
Idorenyin Ekong marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Pearl
Pearl marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Kristin Brandt
Kristin Brandt is currently reading it
Dec 03, 2014
christopher mcglone
christopher mcglone marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
  • Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic
  • Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body
  • Memorize the Faith! (and Most Anything Else): Using the Methods of the Great Catholic Medieval Memory Masters
  • The Dialectics of Secularization: On Reason and Religion
  • Theology for Beginners
  • The Last Superstition: A Refutation of the New Atheism
  • Letters to a Young Catholic
  • New Proofs for the Existence of God: Contributions of Contemporary Physics and Philosophy
  • Catholic and Christian: An Explanation of Commonly Misunderstood Catholic Beliefs
  • The Pope & the CEO: John Paul II's Leadership Lessons to a Young Swiss Guard
  • Surprised by Truth
  • The Fulfillment of All Desire: A Guidebook for the Journey to God Based on the Wisdom of the Saints
  • By What Authority? An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition
  • The Fathers of the Church: An Introduction to the First Christian Teachers
  • Handbook of Christian Apologetics
  • Compendium: Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • Mother Angelica: The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles
  • Walking With God: A Journey through the Bible
Dr. Scott Hahn was born in 1957, and has been married to Kimberly since 1979. He and Kimberly have six children and are expecting their fifth grandchild. An exceptionally popular speaker and teacher, Dr. Hahn has delivered numerous talks nationally and internationally on a wide variety of topics related to Scripture and the Catholic faith. Hundreds of these talks have been produced on audio and vi ...more
More about Scott Hahn...
The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism Hail, Holy Queen: The Mother of God in the Word of God Reasons to Believe: How to Understand, Explain, and Defend the Catholic Faith A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God's Covenant Love in Scripture