Start by marking “She's Gonna Blow!: Real Help for Moms Dealing with Anger” as Want to Read:
She's Gonna Blow!: Real Help for Moms Dealing with Anger

She's Gonna Blow!: Real Help for Moms Dealing with Anger

Tens of thousands of moms who struggle with anger have found hope, laughter, understanding, and biblical counsel in She's Gonna Blow! With over 100,000 in print, this bestseller now has a fresh cover and a new practical helps section with more resources and step-by-step advice.

Gary Chapman, author of The Five Love Languages of Children, tells readers that Julie Ann Barnhil
Published March 1st 2005 by Harvest House Publishers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about She's Gonna Blow!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She's Gonna Blow!

Emily
Jan 03, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Most moms, except the perfect ones :)
Having this book on my to-read list felt like a confession, but if you know me then you probably already knew I get irritated, annoyed and yes-even angry at my kids sometimes. It was a fabulous book that was honest, thought-provoking, and helpful. It was even funny sometimes because of the authors stories. The author and I don't share the exact same faith but it was very religious and I appreciated the insight. Good book.
Becky
Apr 11, 2011 Becky added it
A quick re-read of this book was just what I needed to re-gain perspective in parenting my three children. As much as I wish I didn't need to refer to a book like this (I almost never lend it out for fear of losing track of it!), I'm thankful that the Lord can use writers like Julie Ann Barnhill to encourage and inspire moms to a better way of dealing with the frustrations of life.
Leslie
Oct 14, 2010 Leslie rated it really liked it
This was something I happened upon in the library on the parenting shelf while my boys were playing. I was having a difficult time with Brian, and I found it amusing to compare myself to a volcano. Made me feel like I wasn't so awful a mother. Even though she has a Christian perspective and quotes bible verses, I didn't feel like I was reading it by mistake.
Mary
Aug 24, 2010 Mary rated it it was amazing
After hearing Julie speak twice and reading "One Tough Mother" I am a fan. She is very relatable, funny, and had good advice. I think every mother of small children should read this book! In addition to Mommy anger she talks a little bit about Mommy guilt, another biggie.
Denise
Nov 29, 2014 Denise rated it it was amazing
Exactly what I needed, right when I needed it. My tendency is to show a sweet public persona and let my family feel the brunt of my anger when things get out of my control. It's not healthy, and it's not getting any better with another little one in the mix.

Julie Ann uses raw honesty and no excuses to show how Christian moms are angry whether or not we're willing to talk about it. I loved how her practical solutions were all given on the foundation of God's power to change our hearts, not our ow
Michelle
Jul 11, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I am re-reading this one for the fourth time (I think). Very helpful end encouraging for a mom who wants to learn to control her temper and become the mom she really wants to be.
Tricia Jennings
May 23, 2009 Tricia Jennings rated it it was amazing
Simple and helpful. If you think you need this book to help you deal with your anger at your kids, you probably do need it. Helped me control my temper much better.
Lorraine Collins
Aug 20, 2011 Lorraine Collins rated it it was amazing
Met this woman, and heard her story behind the book, she is an awesome speaker !

I love this book !
Cindy Rawlings
Aug 05, 2011 Cindy Rawlings rated it it was amazing
Hilarious but also has something for every mother to use. Highly recommend it!
BOBBI
Aug 04, 2009 BOBBI rated it it was amazing
Christian writer with a great sense of humor
Carrie
Dec 22, 2008 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: homemaking
This book is funny and honest!
IrenesBookReviews
Oct 11, 2010 IrenesBookReviews rated it it was amazing
Don’t be afraid of this book! The author lays out informative and helpful steps to take if you find yourself behaving in a not so Christ like way! Every one of us has a boiling point. We may not be proud of it or how quickly it can be reached but we are all equal in having one.

The author, Julie Ann Barnhill, does an excellent job of making you feel like you are among friends. She opens up and talks of her issues and how she overcame them. She gives you ample examples of other Christian Mom’s who
Kristen MacGregor
Apr 11, 2011 Kristen MacGregor rated it it was ok
This book isn't BAD... but it's not exactly very helpful either. She spends the first 5 chapters just talking about how anger happens and how she's just as guilty as any other mother of "blowing it". Then she spends only the last 3 chapters giving examples of how to prevent it. And most of the "answers" are leaning on God, praying to God, asking forgiveness from God and never doing it again. Yes, those are good things- but I was hoping for something more concrete. It's easy to say that you'll as ...more
Charis
Feb 03, 2016 Charis rated it really liked it
If you are a parent who struggles with anger, this is the book for you!! The Biblical truths presented here really spoke to my heart and have prompting lasting change. The practical applications are so helpful and, most of all, it is encouraging to know that I am not alone in this fight!!
Canesgalactica
Jan 16, 2013 Canesgalactica rated it it was ok
This book may be helpful to you as a mother *if* you have any sort of religious inclination.

However, for those of us who may not be in the least bit religious, this book comes across as unhelpful and rather preachy.

I was hoping I would gain more insight into things that make me, as a mother, reactionary as opposed to reading a diatribe based entirely around a religion I do not share.

Some of the points in this book can be helpful.. and some of the personal stories are interesting, heartwarming/r
Anna Beth
Feb 11, 2016 Anna Beth rated it it was amazing
A really awesome resource from a REAL and HONEST mom who is finding victory in her life through Christ everyday. And not in a cheesy Christian-see sort of way. She is so practical and loving. I will probably read it more than once. And the list of resources in the back are helpful.
Rhonda DiGenova
Mar 07, 2016 Rhonda DiGenova rated it it was amazing
Loved this study and did it at a perfect time when my kiddos were preschool and early elementary age. She hit the nail on the head with this one!
Leitha Harris
Jul 13, 2015 Leitha Harris rated it it was amazing
Love Julie and love her books!! Great book to help you thru those times you just want to scream while raising your children.
Amy
I loved this book. My only complaints are two doctrinal differences. I prefer King James version of the bible, her bible quotes were a bit "new agey" for me...but that was fine as they were still relevant and I just looked up the scriptures on my own. As suspected, the King James version references had a bit more depth and meaning to them, which just made them all the more helpful. There was one other doctrinal difference I had towards the beginning of the book but I can't even remember it now.. ...more
Allison
Aug 14, 2008 Allison rated it really liked it
This is a great book for dealing with your kids when you're not in a real great mood! Warning: it is from a Christian perspective...so if that's isn't for you, than this book wouldn't be either. However, it has some really good inspiring quotes and what not that make the world seem like a better place! I got it from the library, but would like to own it...I think it would be a good one to refer to when the going gets rough! Oh, it's also quite humurous to, and the author shares lots of personal ...more
Melissa
Apr 08, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing
This book has saved my family. I found myself getting angry too often and I knew I needed help. Te author helps you step back and analyze the real reasons you are feeling anger and helps you 1. avoid situations that cause the most anger, 2. direct anger at the true cause (instead of your children), 3. use your anger to generate positive change in your life (instead of just lashing out)

Highly recommended for any mom who feels like they should be the one sitting in time out.
Lesley
Apr 13, 2014 Lesley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
Despite the cheesy cover, this book was one of the better parenting books I've read yet. If you've ever found yourself yelling at your child, then this book will be really helpful.
Marnie
Sep 11, 2008 Marnie rated it it was amazing
I love authors who talk about parenting in real terms. True life stories by a mom who dosen't sugar-coat nothin'. Funny, pointed, all with a solid Biblical point of view. A must read for any mom who is real enough to admitt there are plenty of frazzled moments where you just wanna start a game of hide and seek and let them hide for awhile!
Rachel C
Read this with my Mothers of Young Children Devotional when my 1st child was just a baby. At the time, I had no idea what the other mommies in the group were talking about - ha - I kept thinking, why would a mom ever be angry with or at her children?! Now that I have two that are preschool age, I should probably re-read this book.
Holly
Aug 28, 2007 Holly rated it it was ok
Shelves: spiritual
Christian parenting, moms and anger management. Read for a book club. The good, putting light on the fact that moms get angry and frusterated, you aren't the only one and you can manage it. The bad, got preachy and self-congratulatory, missing that Christian humility.
Heidi
Jul 19, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it
Honest, funny, helpful, Christian-view of dealing with Mommy anger. Few people want to really talk about it, so sometimes you just don't know where to turn. Julie Barnhill (love her!) handles it well, and I was able to hold onto a few good nuggets of info.
Aug 09, 2007 Laura rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Angry Moms
Really good book about dealing with anger as a mother -- a little heavy on the Christian stuff, but it's still a good resource for those who worry about their temper and how it affects their children.

Nov 15, 2010 Sarah rated it it was ok
I really liked the metaphors of different types of volcanic eruptions to explain different types of anger reactions. I found them to be very useful. If only religion hadn't been the solution...
Cody
Jul 07, 2008 Cody rated it liked it
I got this at mops in a drawing. I didnt find myself relating to alot of it. But it had good pointers. Parenting can be hard. But I didnt feel I was the person they were speaking too.
Katherine
Aug 13, 2008 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: to all mom's
Recommended to Katherine by: I joined a MOPS group a few yrs back
I love love love this book!

I lean more to the snappy-angry mama when I feel like my world is out of control. I really could identify (lol,sp?)with this book.

• Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids
  • Creative Correction: Extraordinary Ideas for Everyday Discipline
  • What Every Mom Needs
  • Making Children Mind without Losing Yours
  • Growing Grateful Kids: Teaching Them to Appreciate an Extraordinary God in Ordinary Places
  • Six Ways to Keep the "Little" in Your Girl: Guiding Your Daughter from Her Tweens to Her Teens
  • The Mommy Diaries: Finding Yourself in the Daily Adventure
  • MotherStyles: Using Personality Type to Discover Your Parenting Strengths
  • Large Family Logistics: The Art and Science of Managing the Large Family
  • Grace-Based Parenting
  • Don't Make Me Count to Three
  • The Ministry of Motherhood: Following Christ's Example in Reaching the Hearts of Our Children
  • The Way Home: Beyond Feminism, Back to Reality