Start by marking “She's Gonna Blow!” as Want to Read:
She's Gonna Blow!

She's Gonna Blow!

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  317 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Tens of thousands of moms who struggle with anger have found hope, laughter, understanding, and biblical counsel in "She's Gonna Blow!" With over 100,000 in print, this bestseller now has a fresh cover and a new practical helps section with more resources and step-by-step advice.

Gary Chapman, author of "The Five Love Languages of Children, "tells readers that Julie Ann Bar
Published March 1st 2005 by Harvest House Publishers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about She's Gonna Blow!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She's Gonna Blow!

Emily
Jan 03, 2009 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Most moms, except the perfect ones :)
Having this book on my to-read list felt like a confession, but if you know me then you probably already knew I get irritated, annoyed and yes-even angry at my kids sometimes. It was a fabulous book that was honest, thought-provoking, and helpful. It was even funny sometimes because of the authors stories. The author and I don't share the exact same faith but it was very religious and I appreciated the insight. Good book.
Becky
Apr 11, 2011 Becky added it
A quick re-read of this book was just what I needed to re-gain perspective in parenting my three children. As much as I wish I didn't need to refer to a book like this (I almost never lend it out for fear of losing track of it!), I'm thankful that the Lord can use writers like Julie Ann Barnhill to encourage and inspire moms to a better way of dealing with the frustrations of life.
Leslie
This was something I happened upon in the library on the parenting shelf while my boys were playing. I was having a difficult time with Brian, and I found it amusing to compare myself to a volcano. Made me feel like I wasn't so awful a mother. Even though she has a Christian perspective and quotes bible verses, I didn't feel like I was reading it by mistake.
Mary
After hearing Julie speak twice and reading "One Tough Mother" I am a fan. She is very relatable, funny, and had good advice. I think every mother of small children should read this book! In addition to Mommy anger she talks a little bit about Mommy guilt, another biggie.
Denise
Exactly what I needed, right when I needed it. My tendency is to show a sweet public persona and let my family feel the brunt of my anger when things get out of my control. It's not healthy, and it's not getting any better with another little one in the mix.

Julie Ann uses raw honesty and no excuses to show how Christian moms are angry whether or not we're willing to talk about it. I loved how her practical solutions were all given on the foundation of God's power to change our hearts, not our ow
Michelle
I am re-reading this one for the fourth time (I think). Very helpful end encouraging for a mom who wants to learn to control her temper and become the mom she really wants to be.
Tricia Jennings
Simple and helpful. If you think you need this book to help you deal with your anger at your kids, you probably do need it. Helped me control my temper much better.
Lorraine Collins
Met this woman, and heard her story behind the book, she is an awesome speaker !

I love this book !
Cindy Rawlings
Hilarious but also has something for every mother to use. Highly recommend it!
BOBBI
Christian writer with a great sense of humor
Carrie
This book is funny and honest!
IrenesBookReviews
Don’t be afraid of this book! The author lays out informative and helpful steps to take if you find yourself behaving in a not so Christ like way! Every one of us has a boiling point. We may not be proud of it or how quickly it can be reached but we are all equal in having one.

The author, Julie Ann Barnhill, does an excellent job of making you feel like you are among friends. She opens up and talks of her issues and how she overcame them. She gives you ample examples of other Christian Mom’s who
Kristen MacGregor
This book isn't BAD... but it's not exactly very helpful either. She spends the first 5 chapters just talking about how anger happens and how she's just as guilty as any other mother of "blowing it". Then she spends only the last 3 chapters giving examples of how to prevent it. And most of the "answers" are leaning on God, praying to God, asking forgiveness from God and never doing it again. Yes, those are good things- but I was hoping for something more concrete. It's easy to say that you'll as ...more
Christine
This book may be helpful to you as a mother *if* you have any sort of religious inclination.

However, for those of us who may not be in the least bit religious, this book comes across as unhelpful and rather preachy.

I was hoping I would gain more insight into things that make me, as a mother, reactionary as opposed to reading a diatribe based entirely around a religion I do not share.

Some of the points in this book can be helpful.. and some of the personal stories are interesting, heartwarming/r
Leitha Harris
Love Julie and love her books!! Great book to help you thru those times you just want to scream while raising your children.
Amy
I loved this book. My only complaints are two doctrinal differences. I prefer King James version of the bible, her bible quotes were a bit "new agey" for me...but that was fine as they were still relevant and I just looked up the scriptures on my own. As suspected, the King James version references had a bit more depth and meaning to them, which just made them all the more helpful. There was one other doctrinal difference I had towards the beginning of the book but I can't even remember it now.. ...more
Allison
This is a great book for dealing with your kids when you're not in a real great mood! Warning: it is from a Christian perspective...so if that's isn't for you, than this book wouldn't be either. However, it has some really good inspiring quotes and what not that make the world seem like a better place! I got it from the library, but would like to own it...I think it would be a good one to refer to when the going gets rough! Oh, it's also quite humurous to, and the author shares lots of personal ...more
Melissa
This book has saved my family. I found myself getting angry too often and I knew I needed help. Te author helps you step back and analyze the real reasons you are feeling anger and helps you 1. avoid situations that cause the most anger, 2. direct anger at the true cause (instead of your children), 3. use your anger to generate positive change in your life (instead of just lashing out)

Highly recommended for any mom who feels like they should be the one sitting in time out.
Lesley
Despite the cheesy cover, this book was one of the better parenting books I've read yet. If you've ever found yourself yelling at your child, then this book will be really helpful.
Marnie
I love authors who talk about parenting in real terms. True life stories by a mom who dosen't sugar-coat nothin'. Funny, pointed, all with a solid Biblical point of view. A must read for any mom who is real enough to admitt there are plenty of frazzled moments where you just wanna start a game of hide and seek and let them hide for awhile!
Rachel C
Read this with my Mothers of Young Children Devotional when my 1st child was just a baby. At the time, I had no idea what the other mommies in the group were talking about - ha - I kept thinking, why would a mom ever be angry with or at her children?! Now that I have two that are preschool age, I should probably re-read this book.
Holly
Christian parenting, moms and anger management. Read for a book club. The good, putting light on the fact that moms get angry and frusterated, you aren't the only one and you can manage it. The bad, got preachy and self-congratulatory, missing that Christian humility.
Heidi
Honest, funny, helpful, Christian-view of dealing with Mommy anger. Few people want to really talk about it, so sometimes you just don't know where to turn. Julie Barnhill (love her!) handles it well, and I was able to hold onto a few good nuggets of info.
Aug 09, 2007 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Angry Moms
Really good book about dealing with anger as a mother -- a little heavy on the Christian stuff, but it's still a good resource for those who worry about their temper and how it affects their children.

I really liked the metaphors of different types of volcanic eruptions to explain different types of anger reactions. I found them to be very useful. If only religion hadn't been the solution...
Cody
I got this at mops in a drawing. I didnt find myself relating to alot of it. But it had good pointers. Parenting can be hard. But I didnt feel I was the person they were speaking too.
Katherine
Aug 13, 2008 Katherine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: to all mom's
Recommended to Katherine by: I joined a MOPS group a few yrs back
I love love love this book!

I lean more to the snappy-angry mama when I feel like my world is out of control. I really could identify (lol,sp?)with this book.

Melissa Summers
A helpful handbook for how to get perspective to be more gentle with your kids in inconvenient or chaotic situations. Gave some great resources and Bible verses.
Lyns
Really really needed this book! It has a lot of information, but I thought it was great and really helped me to realize where I was and what I needed!
Moyra
So far a great resource and a place where the author is helpfully transparent about her toughest mothering moments. Helpful perspective and tools for sure!
  • Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids
  • Creative Correction: Extraordinary Ideas for Everyday Discipline
  • What Every Mom Needs
  • Making Children Mind without Losing Yours
  • Growing Grateful Kids: Teaching Them to Appreciate an Extraordinary God in Ordinary Places
  • The Mommy Diaries: Finding Yourself in the Daily Adventure
  • Let. It. Go.: How to Stop Running the Show and Start Walking in Faith
  • Grace Based Parenting: Set Your Family Free
  • Made to Crave Action Plan Participant's Guide: Your Journey to Healthy Living
  • The Power of a Positive Mom
One Tough Mother: 10 No-Guilt Ways to Stand Firm and Be the Mom Motherhood: The Guilt That Keeps on Giving Scandalous Grace Radical Forgiveness: It's Time to Wipe Your Slate Clean! Raising Kids with Love and Limits