The Hanged Man: A Tarot Card Mystery

The Hanged Man: A Tarot Card Mystery (Tarot Card Mystery #4)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The cops have jailed the wrong person: dominatrix Thérèse de Farge. Sally McLaughlin, a feisty paraplegic hacker, sets out to save her friend and ropes Warren Ritter, sarcastic tarot card reader and general overall eccentric, into yet another murder investigation.

To solve this one, everyone has to go undercover. Sally puts on a business suit and tries to get a corporate jo...more
Published August 19th 2008 by Minotaur Books

The Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyBarchester Towers by Anthony TrollopeThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisThe Emperor's New Clothes by Hans Christian Andersen
The Tarot
53rd out of 205 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

P.J. Coldren
Sep 28, 2008 P.J. Coldren added it
Recommends it for: mystery readers
Recommended to P.J. by: received for review
Warren Ritter is learning the hazards of having a family and friends. He’s been on the run for years, but seems to have come to a stopping point in his life, at least for a little while. He learns in THE HANGED MAN that there’s a price to pay.

Warren has been working on a relationship with Sally McLaughlin, a computer hacker with enormous skills, a prickly hide, and very few friends. Those friends she has, she holds dear. One of them, Therese de Farge, has been accused of murdering a client. She...more
Patricia
Reading tarot cards in Berkley is about as exciting as Warren’s life has been lately. His love life with Sally McLaughlin, a paraplegic hacker is running smoothly. Heather Tallbridge who is living with Sally is doing well and Warren’s grandson is a joy. Warren, who suffers from bi-polar disorder, has his medication pretty well under control and life is good.

Then Sally receives some news that throws everyone in turmoil. Dominatrix Therese de Farge has been arrested for murder. Therese stepped in...more
Spuddie
In this fifth (and so far, last) Warren Ritter mystery, Warren gets involved with helping a friend of his girlfriend Sally. The friend has been accused of murdering one of her clients--she's a dominatrix. So Warren takes up training so that he can get into the BDSM scene and ferret out who might have wanted to frame Therese. Meanwhile, Warren is also trying to protect a set of ancient tarot cards willed to him by his mentor, and there are several people who want to get their hands on them who ar...more
Patty
Part four in the Tarot Card Mysteries is just as twisty and complicated as the previous three. Warren, Sally, Heather and Ripley go deep into the worlds of high tech security and BSDM. I'll admit that many of the bondage scenes made me uncomfortable (definitely not my style) but they worked very well when woven into the entire story. If you haven't read any of these mysteries, get thee to a bookstore or library, start with the first book and have fun plunging into Warren's world. You won't be so...more
Jan
This is the best book in the series since the debut novel, Eight of Swords. Unlike the first three books, which were written in first person, this story is told in the third person from multiple points of view. I wasn't sure how I'd like it when I realized the author had changed POV, but it works. If you like not-very-cozy mysteries with a leftist/occult/alternative lifestyle twist, I recommend you try this series, starting with the first novel.
Stven
Just not my style at all. The author tries too too hard to achieve a flippant tone, but he winds up making me not care as much as he's trying to pretend not to care. Too bad. I got through three chapters.
Adrian
I think he does a really fine job in giving a rich look into a different world -- in this case BDSM. An I like the fact that the main character is flawed and yet still appealing.
Jen
It was a quick and good read. I'm a fan oft his series however some of the subject matter in this one wasn't enjoyable to me. But that's just me. Still like Warren.
Carol
I love this guy. He is smart, funny, sarcastic, humble and really interesting. I can't wait for more books in the series
Shannon Benton
Shannon Benton marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Vivienne
Vivienne marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Kate
Kate added it
Sep 30, 2013
Suzanne Meyering
Suzanne Meyering marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Irene
Irene marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2013
J.W. Patten
J.W. Patten marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2013
Kim DeCina
Kim DeCina marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2013
keres
keres marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
David Skibbins won the St. Martin’s Minotaur/Malice Domestic Competition for Best First Traditional Mystery Novel with Eight of Swords. He is a certified life coach and lives on the Pacific Coast in California with his brilliant wife and his goofy Portuguese water dog.

More about David Skibbins...
Eight of Swords High Priestess The Star: A Tarot Card Mystery Becoming a Life Coach: A Complete Workbook for Therapists Working Clean and Sober: A Guide for All Recovering People