Start by marking “The Secrets of Married Women” as Want to Read:
The Secrets of Married Women

The Secrets of Married Women

3.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  402 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Falling in love is easy. Staying in love is harder.
Jill and Rob are happily married and still very much in love. Then everything changes when they discover that Rob is infertile. Having children has never been the be all and end all for Jill. Yet, admittedly, a tiny part of her now wants what she can’t have. But more than craving the impossible, Jill just wants her marria
Published January 31st 2012 (first published July 12th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets of Married Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets of Married Women

Carol Mason
Feb 22, 2008 Carol Mason rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes rich, emotional, cleverly-written and often funny reads
Recommended to Carol by: Review in Daily Telegraph
Don't be fooled by the fluffy cover. This is NOT your regular chick lit. It does start out light and frothy and fun, but a definite turning point happens when the women's actions send their lives spinning out of control. It's gripping stuff - I could not put it down. I bought it after reading a review in the Telegraph newspaper and then seeing the book in a promotion at the airport, and I'm pleased I've discovered a great new author. The writing is very strong - sometimes I found myself in tears ...more
Michelle
Jul 18, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: forpleasure, e-books
More like 3.5 stars.

Call me weird, but I like reading stories about women in close friendships who deal with infidelity. But the stories that interest me are the ones where the women are the unfaithful ones. Part of this is because I wrote a book on the same subject and I'm curious to see how similar their reactions are and their motivations, etc. as the character in my novel. In this case I found the characterization very believable. Unfortunately, I've known a number of people in situations l
Karen
Jul 15, 2012 Karen rated it it was ok
Not sure where I came across this title, but it was a cheap or possibly even free from the Amazon Kindle Store. I will start by saying its not normally the kind of story I read so take that into consideration when you see my review of 2 stars. 2 stars seems a little harsh but 2 stars states the story "is okay" and for me that is what it was. I did read it all the way to the end but will admit to skimming over parts because I just wanted to know how everyone ended up.

When I was reading this story
Gina Wynn
Jan 12, 2016 Gina Wynn rated it it was amazing
4 1/2 stars rounded to 5.

This story follows the intertwined lives and loves of three female friends. It’s an almost painful look at marriage, complete with warts, flaws, humour and sadness.

Halfway through, I realised I was reading a story written in present tense, when they are not my usual preference at all, so that is a very good indication of how well crafted the story is.

The frankness in the story – the exploration of marriage and related themes, especially adultery -might be uncomfortable r
Ainsley
Dec 02, 2008 Ainsley rated it really liked it
I was expecting a light, fluffy read - got considerably more than I bargained for. Unexpectedly painful, sad, and a startling ending. I was particularly affected by the description of the devastating loss of trust and security following the main character's (ill-considered but understandable) affair, and the feelings of desperately wishing a destructive action undone.
Alina Man
Sep 22, 2012 Alina Man rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-books
I really don’t understand the low ratings. There was not one thing I didn’t like about this book. From the first page I felt as if I was reading a story about my close friends. This book has everything you could ask for: humor, drama, romance, heartache, happy endings (sort of)… you name it. Don’t go by the bad reviews and give this book a chance. You won’t regret it.
Ruth
Mar 16, 2014 Ruth rated it really liked it
Jill has two close friends. The threesome and their husbands often do things together and enjoy their lives together. Things are fine until Jill's husband, Rob is found to be infertile. He goes into a deep depression and the two grow further and further apart. At the same time, Jill's friend, Leigh reveals to her that she has begun an affair and is only too willing to provide all the details of the excitement. Life becomes unbearable to Jill as her husband withdraws further and further from her. ...more
Lucie Simone
Feb 25, 2013 Lucie Simone rated it it was amazing
I'm very thankful to have found Carol Mason's debut novel, The Secrets of Married Women, because now I can add another author to my automatic buy list. This story was compelling, well written, and full of suspense, humor, and even some heartache. I instantly liked the main character, Jill, and could easily relate to her and her struggles with her relationships as she navigates the complexities of friendship, love, family, desire and regret. I loved how honest the narrative was, often revealing p ...more
Matt Schiariti
Nov 14, 2012 Matt Schiariti rated it it was amazing
This isn't normally a book I would have read. 'Chick lit' as it's called isn't generally high on my reading list but something about the title and the books description piqued my interest and I purchased it. I rifled through it in short order. Chick lit, romance, etc...I don't care how a book is billed or classified. A good novel is a good novel and this is a good read, plain and simple.

At its heart the novel is really about thinking the grass is always greener on the other side. That and you do
Lydia Laceby
Oct 12, 2012 Lydia Laceby rated it it was amazing
Originally reviewed at Novel Escapes

The Secrets of Married Women is an absorbing read and wasn't anywhere near as frothy and fluffy as I might have believed it to be from the cover and description. Instead, I discovered a thoughtful novel about love, marriage and friendship that covers a topic we don't often see in chick lit, which is always a refreshing change. Often we see infidelity from the women's perspective when she is the wronged party. The Secrets of Married Women explores the topic of
Arlena

By: Carol Mason
Published By: Stoughton
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 4
Review:

"The Secrets of Married Women" by Carol Mason was a good contemporary women's fiction that involved romance, marriage, friendship, affairs and family problems. This author did a good job with her 'dramatic storytelling' and being able to pull the reader into each of the character's lives. We find in this read three friends: Wendy, Leigh and Jill...all who seem to have the perfect marriage. But was
Andrea Mcbride
Sep 07, 2014 Andrea Mcbride rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow!!! What an amazing story!!! I was very enthralled by the story line being very relatable! Three friends with marriage problems choosing different courses. It made you think that one decision can literally destroy your whole life or make life better. There's just so much to say about marriages, friendships, and parenting! It's a must read! And the story gets very emotional and you feel for the characters even Leigh....(what a bitch)!!! And jeez I wished the couples communicated! I wanted to r ...more
Rowenah
Oct 06, 2012 Rowenah rated it really liked it
This is the best kind of chick-lit. A really gripping story, well written characters who are like people you know and believable, sometimes genuinely funny dialogue. I liked how the story wasn't sugary and the author didn't shy away from reality. Too much of chick-lit can be irritatingly moralistic with the main character holier than thou while everyone around her makes a mess of their lives. It was refreshing to read of a main character as flawed. The author has a great natural style that doesn ...more
Victoria
Feb 20, 2014 Victoria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
Cabrina
Sep 19, 2012 Cabrina rated it it was amazing
I gave it 5 stars simply because I rarely read these types of books. When I come across them and they're good, despite the "same ol story" I love them. I fell in love with the main character and her husband. I can relate because my husband and I's relationship carries that same banter, with love of course. This book made me laugh throughout, cry and hope for more. I was disappointed in the Wendy character and her story because she didn't elaborate until the end, I wish there was more but I guess ...more
Sharron
Feb 06, 2014 Sharron rated it liked it
A thoughtful look at the lives of other women, married for a long time, with other desires. Fun to see how it all plays out.
Lisa
Aug 20, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and was happy for the happy ending! I found it quite believable in that the happily married Jill would almost be pushed to have an affair because of her husband's distance, and then it was almost refreshing that the actual affair itself (really just a oner) was awful and leaves her guilt ridden and in despair. And then her choice NOT to tell her husband, Rob, about it, also felt right. While her friend is busy cheating on their third friend with her husband, the relati ...more
Lynda Kelly
Jul 22, 2013 Lynda Kelly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deleted
This really wasn't my sort of humour and I packed it in at 18%, I'm afraid.
There were some silly mistakes which helped to put me off it, too, such as using too for to. Then throughout was used, quite bizarrely, for threw out, out was replaced by on, sarcy for sarky, there were a couple of missed commas I'd spotted and my final straw was chord used when it should have been cord. Silly errors that somebody ought to have spotted.
I did like the cover and the characters seemed nice as well, it just r
Cristin
Jul 18, 2012 Cristin rated it really liked it

Such an unexpectedly good book! I loved the story and really felt connected to Jill, even when I didn't agree with her. The book was very honest and I think it really shows how you never know what's going on behind closed doors. My biggest criticism though was the strong British writing style. I had no clue it was by a British author (which I usually love), but some of her slang and grammar left me desperately searching for context clues to know what the hell she was talking about!
Cath Stannard
Aug 06, 2012 Cath Stannard rated it it was amazing
Stacey
Apr 25, 2012 Stacey rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
I only tried this book because it was cheap on the kindle (maybe even free, I can't remember). It was an entertaining read. The book is British and there were times when the dialogue may be difficult to follow if you are not familiar with British culture. I think the hardest part was that I didn't really find myself liking any of the characters so it was difficult to engage with their issues and to get emotionally connected with the novel.
Kim Hornsby
Jun 13, 2013 Kim Hornsby rated it it was amazing
I loved this novel like I was Jill and it was my life that was going through the spin cycle of my washing machine! I maniacally read Secrets as quickly as I could without losing any of the experience and as I got closer to the end, I grieved for the loss of Jill that would come with the words The End. If you crave clever women's fiction, Don't miss a Carol Mason novel. Be prepared for a rare treat.
Klaudyna Z.
Jul 09, 2012 Klaudyna Z. rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
This was a really good book about the reality of marriage and especially what infertility can do to either party. It also proves that we are only human and that we all make mistakes.

This is a good book to read if you are thinking about having an affair or cheating on your spouse because it shows the repercussions and how it affects everyone who is involved.

And I loved the ending!
Terri Tinkel
This wasn't my favorite book. It was a free Kindle book that I read on a cruise. I got very tired of the women having affairs or being betrayed or wondering why their marriages were not working. None of them seemed to have any idea of what was going on and often, didn't give any blame to their husbands. However, I did read the entire book and the ending made up for the lackluster storyline.
Tina
Jul 24, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Deb
Shelves: kindle
I am not normally a chic lit kind of girl, but there is something to be said for a book with well developed characters, a dollop of emotion, a decent enough story and a bit of a twist. Didn't tax the brain too much, nor did it provoke too much emotion one way or the other, but I really enjoyed the relationships between the 3 friends and how they developed.

A great summer read.
Ruth Boling
Dec 25, 2013 Ruth Boling rated it liked it
A kindle book made to sound pretty interesting for a quick entertaining read. I had some problems with the British expressions and sayings and found the entire storyline for younger women, I also found more storied stuffed into the prologue. It was an easy, quick read but I didn't enjoy it much.
Lonny
Dec 12, 2013 Lonny rated it it was ok
Two totally unlikeable women and one that I felt sorry for did not make for a book that I really enjoyed. I thought about putting it aside a few times but wanted to see how it ended, and since I was more than halfway through decided to finish it. The ending did make up for a lot, but I don't see myself picking up another book by this author again.
Kate Canan Rizzo
May 20, 2012 Kate Canan Rizzo rated it it was amazing
Mason spins an extraordinary yarn and gives KindeFire readers one jackpot of a book. This book rings true in so many areas of marriage and friendship. Readers fall in love with these incredible women as they battle the seven-year itch, infidelity, cheating, faith, hope and everything in between. Mesmerizing and beautiful, this book is a rare gem.
Doris
Mar 10, 2013 Doris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved the book. Although having an affair is not the answer but I can understand why Jill turned to Andry for validation. Rob didn't give her choice as he shut down and shut her out despite her numerous and desperate attempts to resolve the issues. I was absolutely thrilled of the ending. ...everyone got what they deserved.
Kitty O'Day
May 06, 2013 Kitty O'Day rated it really liked it
Great! I loved the colloquialism of this book. I have a 'mam' to.
I couldn't work out why Leigh was her, Jill's, friend, but I suppose that is how things are sometimes.

The descriptions and emotions of this book are well written. I enjoyed the read and would recommend it.
  • Wellesley Wives
  • Divorce, Interrupted (Lake Willowbee, #1)
  • Working It Out
  • Conflicts of the Heart
  • The Brevity of Roses
  • Can't Stop Loving You (Forever Friends #1)
  • Picture Imperfect
  • Full Circle
  • Free to Love
  • The Battered Heiress Blues
  • The Wife Who Ran Away
  • Family Honor (A Cop in the Family, #3)
  • Free Gift with Purchase
  • Sleeping In The Middle (Comfort Club)
  • Fluke
  • Heat Wave (Riders Up, #2)
  • Sleeping Tigers
  • Letters To Gabriella (Glebe Point, #2)
I am the author of The Love Market, Send Me A Lover, and The Secrets of Married Women. Find out more about my books at www.carolmasonbooks.com
Recently all three of my novels were re-released as E Books on Amazon. So if you have a kindle, they are selling for $2.99 each!

You can keep up to date with developments by making me your friend on Facebook. I'll try my best to entertain you. I'm on twitter
More about Carol Mason...