Start by marking “The Man Who Planted Trees” as Want to Read:
The Man Who Planted Trees

The Man Who Planted Trees

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,676 Ratings  ·  416 Reviews
To commemorate Chelsea Green Publishing's anniversary of the cloth-bound edition of Jean Giono's classic tale we proudly present a paperback edition with added information on how to become a WoodWise consumer.Jean Giono's tale of Elzard Bouffier, the intrepid tree planter who single-handedly reforests a barren section of southern France, is here placed in an exciting new c ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about The Man Who Planted Trees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Who Planted Trees

Geoff
Mar 17, 2009 Geoff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in its entirety (a slim 46 pages) sitting alone in a cafe in Annecy, in the French Alps. I was on my way to Provence that week, and I had brought this book along with me on my trip with the explicit purpose of reading Giono in Provence, already considering Joy of Man's Desiring and Blue Boy two of the finest French novels I had encountered, but I didn't wait. So I sat and read it, such the typical American tourist, in a cafe in Annecy le Vieux over a carafe of Jura wine. Afterwo ...more
Arghya Dutta
For a human character to reveal truly exceptional qualities, one must have the good fortune to be able to observe its performance over many years. If this performance is devoid of all egoism, if its guiding motive is unparalleled generosity, if it is absolutely certain that there is no thought of recompense and that, in addition, it has left its visible mark upon the earth, then there can be no mistake.

An amazingly relaxing and uplifting allegorical story of a man, Elzeard Bouffier, who, in the
Liliana Rio
May 25, 2016 Liliana Rio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
Que alma grandiosa, que generosidade apaixonante, Elzéard Bouffier será eternamente memorável!!
É uma obra pequeninha mas tão sábia, tão tocante que me encheu o espirito, encheu-me o coração de esperança que o ser humano seguisse semelhante sabedoria.
A natureza é também para mim um refúgio de felicidade e paz interior por isso não podia deixar de adorar :)
Oscar
El narrador nos cuenta cómo en 1913, durante una excursión por la Provenza, a través de una zona árida y abandonada, se encuentra con un pastor, Elzéard Bouffier, que se dedica a plantar árboles de manera altruista.

‘El hombre que plantaba árboles’ (L’homme qui platait des arbres, 1953), del escritor Jean Giono, es una historia sencilla, un relato inolvidable. Le tengo mucho cariño a este cuento, que descubrí hace muchos años, curiosamente no en un formato escrito, sino a través de la narración d
Joey
Nov 12, 2014 Joey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After long, long consideration, I changed my 3 stars into 4 stars. It is awesome, inspiring, and deeply moving. This is the essence of writing reviews of books. I can understand a book more deeply. Besides, I love reading this kind of story. It has almost something to do with God’s Providence despite the fact that I have frozen my faith.

What lobbied me?

First, I liked the way Jean Giono himself introduced his story by giving us his wisdom.

“ For a human character to reveal truly exceptional quali
Hugo
Jun 18, 2016 Hugo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
"Ele sabe muito mais do que todos nós. Encontrou uma bela maneira de ser feliz."

Precisamos de acreditar que no nosso mundo existam almas puras como a de Elzéard Bouffier. Oxalá as guerras lhes passem sempre ao lado.
Teresa
Nov 13, 2015 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
E agora?
Depois de conhecer Elzéard Bouffier como posso eu continuar a ter a ilusão de que sou determinada, persistente e generosa?
Vou ter de o esquecer...
Sam Quixote
I think peoples’ opinions on this book are based more on the message of the book rather than the story itself. It’s the story of a shepherd who plants trees over many years, slowly transforming his barren part of the world into a flourishing fecund forest during the years of the First and Second World Wars. And despite the destruction the trees remain. The message - man’s capacity for creation is as great, if not greater, than his own for destruction. And godlike acts can be done by anybody, eve ...more
Jan-Maat
After more heavy rains followed by flooding in Cumbria the recommendation to minimise further problems was to plant more trees. This was plainly a sign to write a review of The Man Who Planted Trees, a task in a way I'd rather avoid (view spoiler).

The problem isn't that I disapprove of planting trees far from it (view spoiler)
Miguel
Feb 16, 2016 Miguel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uma pequena e bonita história de leitura fácil, pequenos gestos de simplicidade...Bouffier deixou o mundo um pouco melhor que o encontrou. ;)
Sofia
Oct 29, 2015 Sofia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Quando pensamos que tudo aquilo brotara das mãos e da alma deste homem - sem quaisquer meios técnicos - compreendemos que os homens podem ser tão eficazes como Deus noutras áreas para além da destruição."

O Homem que plantava árvores, baseado em factos reais, é uma pequena grande história de como um homem, sem qualquer interesse pessoal e com o fruto do seu trabalho, consegue florestar umas das regiões mais áridas de França.

O livro pode ser analisado à luz de várias vertentes: a ameaça ambienta
Beste Bal
May 03, 2016 Beste Bal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gaia, owned
zamanın birinde animasyonunu izlemiş pek beğenmiştim. meraklısı böyle buyursun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYlsI...
kitabın illüstrasyonları da çok çok hoş. bu anlatı, illa ki görselli olmalıydı! bir solukta okunan, umut veren, 'yaşadım diyebilmek için'e dair kafa yorduran kısacık anlatı. mis.
Nyamka Ganni
May 06, 2013 Nyamka Ganni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Nyamka by: Indra
Highly recommended!!
It really is an amazing story. Truly inspirational and wonderful story about the man who planted trees in solitude. He never expected applause, nor recognition for his miracle work! He just focused on his work silently and revived nature, all alone!!

Let's plant trees whenever possible!

Highly recommended!!
فضيض

قصة فرنسية قصيرة عن "إلزيار بوفييه" هذا الرجل الراعي القروي البسيط اللا يكاد يتكلّم مع أحد، الذي رأى ذات يوم أن هذه البلاد تموت بسبب قلة الأشجار، فالبيئة التي كان يرعى حولها كانت قاحلة، إلا من بعض منازل مهجورة وجيران بعداء لا يطيقون الاقتراب من أحد، ومع شمس حارقة في أيام الصيف وريح تزأر كالوحوش الجائعة وآبار جافة وإحساس بالعطش طاغٍ، رأى إلزيار ذات يوم أن هذه البلاد تموت من العطش فقرر – ما دام لا شيء آخر يشغله – أن يعالج هذه المشكلة

وهي قصة فاتنة، وتحوّل باهر من كل النواحي حدث في تلك البقعة من الع
Adam Floridia
Geoff's beautiful review prompted me to read this. Not being a fan of transcendentalism, I was hesitant. The first sentence in which the narrator states that a "human character [of:] truly exceptional qualities...is devoid of all egoism" and is guided by "unparalleled generosity," made me really worried. That isn't exactly the Ayn Rand doctrine that I have recently been so fond of.

Yet, I read on, and I'm glad. Perhaps having read this after a bottle of wine while sitting in the Alps, I would hav
Bastet
Jun 02, 2015 Bastet rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Qué cosa más pavosa. No le doy ni una estrella porque no se la merece. El tipo de librillo que solo te leerías si tienes la mala pata de estar dentro de un ascensor que de repente se para entre dos plantas y tienes que matar la espera como sea. Se comprende por qué este librito lo encuentras siempre junto a las cajas de las librerías y no en los estantes, donde están los libros de verdad.
Пүрэвбазар
Time to relax your complicated brains my friends. Grab this and read. Its just an ordinary story of ordinary man who planted trees. I didnt mean to complicate anything about this beautifully written book but i just felt something really lonely. A man and a dog out in the open planted thousands of trees. What a story? Wish one day i gonna meet someone like him.

Thanks to Indra for great recommendation.
Nick
May 01, 2012 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a quiet story that has lasting resonance for me as I was lucky enough to plant trees in a barren wasteland of South India some years ago beside a man of simple but unwavering faith,and a young woman of unbounded enthusiasm,love and laughter, and return over the years to find wooded hillsides and crops flourishing beside them.
Karie
Sep 07, 2013 Karie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Как може една толкова кратка и толкова простичко написана история да бъде и една от най-невероятните, до която някога съм се докосвала? Може би е истина, че зад най-обикновените думи се крие най-дълбокият смисъл, трябва само да четем със сърцето си, а не буквално.
Когато завърших ''Човекът, който садеше дървета'', веднага помислих, че това е най-необоримата апология на човека. (апология- от гр. - реч или литературно произведение, при което чрез възхвала се защитава нещо, към което са отправени н
Malapata
Apr 05, 2014 Malapata rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Después de tanto haber escuchado hablar de este relato el resultado ha sido algo decepcionante. Cierto que la historia es un canto a la esperanza y tiene un bello mensaje. Pero en cuanto a narración es bastante simple y pasa sin pena ni gloria.
Virginia
Jan 25, 2016 Virginia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quando penso che uomo solo, ridotto alle proprie semplici risorse fisiche e morali, è bastato a far uscire dal deserto quel paese di Canaan, trovo che, malgrado tutto, la condizione umana sia ammirevole.
Virginia Pulver
May 06, 2013 Virginia Pulver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My own brother is much like the protagonist in this slim volume - The Man Who Planted Trees shows us how one person and simple acts can evoke enormous change. Over the past decade, my brother (Byron Jeys Mawingo) has planted (or orchestrated the planting) of almost 100,000 trees on a barren mountaintop in northern Malawi(Africa). Jen Giono's novel is a quick read, but it will inspire you - and it certainly resonates with me. The writing style and the nature of this tale remind me, in many ways, ...more
Nilo
Apr 28, 2015 Nilo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Su calidad literaria deja mucho que desear. Más que a una novela, se asemeja a un artículo o relato para alguna revista como National Geographic, aunque al final se entiende ya que su finalidad es la de transmitir un mensaje y generar una reflexión, lo cual, logra perfectamente. O por lo menos a mí, y por muy bobo y cursi que suene, me alegró la tarde y me hizo sentir una pequeña chispa de esperanza.
Rhys
Jan 02, 2016 Rhys rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slim book, almost a short story, but incredibly inspiring. The tale of a shepherd who devotes his life to trying to repair some of the damage that humanity has done to the world by planting forests, one acorn at a time, is a simple masterpiece. It made me want to emulate Elzéard Bouffier and plant trees.
Cecilebe
Dec 11, 2015 Cecilebe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Encore un tout petit livre et une toute petite histoire, celle d'un berger solitaire qui plante des arbres et fait renaître un peu d'espoir, sans même le vouloir. De la générosité gratuite, bien écrite, et tout le talent d'un écrivain qui a réussi à berner le Reader's Digest.
Indra
May 02, 2013 Indra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haven't read anything as good as this in awhile.
Armed with only his physical and moral resources this man gave happiness to thousands. Oh wow... The idea of doing something great for others and doing it in silence, that is what I really admire. Highly recommend this book.
Lisa Vegan
I loved the wood engravings. The message of the story is inspirational. The planting of the trees/the trees themselves, wonderful. The execution of the telling of the story and some of the details of the story, I found less interesting.
Jan 21, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational. If you need a story to inspire you to overcome your despair or any obstacles blocking you, this is one you should look into, or watch the movie:

arcobaleno
Mi è ricapitato in mano.
Non lo ricordavo e ho cominciato a rileggerlo.
In un attimo sono arrivata alla fine: quaranta paginette semplici e deliziose.
E, come tutte le favole, con una importante morale!
Jessica
Jul 09, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a beautiful inspiring little gem. I can see why it has the highly acclaimed reputation that it has. Everyone should read this, and think about the impact you have on YOUR world.
  • The Wanderer's Necklace
  • Confessions of a Counterfeit Farm Girl
  • Favorite Poems Old and New
  • A Tree for Peter
  • Tracy's Tiger
  • The Man Who Planted Trees: Lost Groves, Champion Trees, and an Urgent Plan to Save the Planet
  • The Little King December
  • Pierre and Luce
  • Blues pro bláznivou holku
  • Adventures of Ideas
  • Big Sister and Little Sister
  • Saturnin
  • Hrdý Budžes
  • Deadly Sins (The Callahans, #2)
  • Contes cruels
  • Sotos
  • Hôtel Splendid (European Women Writers)
  • L'Œil du loup
Jean Giono, the only son of a cobbler and a laundress, was one of France’s greatest writers. His prodigious literary output included stories, essays, poetry,plays, filmscripts, translations and over thirty novels, many of which have been translated into English.

Giono was a pacifist, and was twice imprisoned in France at the outset and conclusion of World War II.

He remained tied to Provence and M
More about Jean Giono...

“Si uno quiere descubrir cualidades realmente excepcionales en el carácter de un ser humano, debe tener el tiempo o la oportunidad de observar su comportamiento durante varios años. Si este comportamiento no es egoísta, si está presidido por una generosidad sin límites, si es tan obvio que no hay afán de recompensa, y además ha dejado una huella visible en la tierra, entonces no cabe equivocación posible.” 1 likes