Start by marking “An Unreasonable Woman: A True Story of Shrimpers, Politicos, Polluters and the Fight for Seadrift, Texas” as Want to Read:

When Diane Wilson, fourth-generation shrimp-boat captain and mother of five, learns that she lives in the most polluted county in the United States, she decides to fight back. She launches a campaign against a multibillion-dollar corporation that has been covering up spills, silencing workers, flouting the EPA, and dumping lethal ethylene dichloride and vinyl chloride into ...more
Published September 15th 2005 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about An Unreasonable Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Unreasonable Woman

Mar 29, 2008 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-best
I'm rereading because this book is so compelling and layered that you (or I) have to read it more than once. Even though it's autobiographical, Unreasonable Woman is more like a novel than non-fiction—it has a suspenseful, dramatic narrative that builds tension, all in that unique and powerful voice. You are drawn into her world: the rough-edged Gulf Coast, peopled by unforgettable characters, poverty-stricken but independent.

Like songwriter/singer Jo Carol Pierce says,
"You don't want it to en
Pat Cummings
Dec 30, 2014 Pat Cummings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
None of us knew what a real paycheck looked like, but to Momma a real job was anything that didn't have nothing to do with the bay, because everybody knew if you wanted to make a dime on the bay, you'd have to bleed real hard. ...bad times were like the salted peanuts shrimpers ate with their beer...

Diane Wilson's weather-beaten face was just another in a crowd of shrimpers working the bays and bayous of the Gulf Intercoastal Waterways, out of Seadrift, Texas, Calhoun County. Her shrimp-boat was
Darren Burton
Oct 07, 2012 Darren Burton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With the discovery that her "piddlin' little county on the Gulf Coast" led the nation in toxic emissions, Diane Wilson fought friends, family, local politicians, corrupt state regulators, legislators, senators, and the multi-billion dollar company Formosa Plastic. This leader of Taiwan's petrochemical industry had environmental practices so appalling that twenty thousand Taiwanese came out under threat of police violence to protest its proposed new $8 billion dollar complex. That's how Formosa d ...more
Eric Wright
Jan 01, 2011 Eric Wright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Sep 21, 2009 Albert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a prologue to this book which is written with extreme eloquence. In fact, so eloquent is Sabotage as to question from what Hemingway novel was it borrowed. However, the body of the book is first person colloquial, giving a collaborative impression of Mark Twain and Michael Connelly, from the shores of The Gulf. The story is both inspirational and sad. Inspirational for what the determination of one person can achieve, even when she steps outside the conventions of her community. Sad in ...more
Feb 24, 2012 Jenni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had heard good things about this book, and it lived up to its reputation. This is an autobiography of an amazing woman - a role model for all people who are concerned about the health and safety of their families in industrial America. Her tenacity, creative solutions, and effort to educate herself on the issues and the processes was an inspiration.

My only criticism is that there are a lot of colloquialisms and Texan grammar & slang to get through. I got used to the conversational style, a
Sep 01, 2011 Tori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must read. I loved this story because it is a classic tale of the little guy fighting a behemoth monster. The little guy is Diane, mother of five who goes through incredible challenges to protect her home and the environment. The monster? Everyone else it seems, starting out Formosa, but hen she soon discovers how invested everyone around her is into not rocking the boat, even if it means their children born with birth defects or they die of cancer. Everyone is too invested in the ...more
Nov 27, 2012 Candice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading this book I didn't think I would like it that much but the author really pulled me into the story. I liked the writing style, her story, her connection to the place of South Texas. It is impressive what a woman with really nothing (poor shrimper in southern texas) can do just by sheer force of will and determination. It's a very Erin Brocavich story about a woman going up against a huge polluting corporation as well as all the people swayed by corporate money fightin ...more
Louis C Smith
Aug 23, 2016 Louis C Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a monument to presistance
Colleen Mulrooney
I'm amazed by the determination of this woman to fight for what we all know is right, in spite of being abandoned and hated by those who she was helping the most! It's an amazing story that anyone who cares about our "mother earth" will love reading. By the end I was cheering and crying . . . now taking a moment to listen to the birds and thank all the Diane Wilson's and Rachel Carson's of the world for my clean air, water, birds, fish, crabs, frog, organic veggies/fruit, and good health!!
Aug 13, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
A good story about a simple woman who was compelled to become an enviromental activist to try and save the area that she called home. Read it and weep for our enviroment especially the Gulf of Mexico where many chemical companies are located. The political corruption and the failure of federal agencies to do their jobs is especially discouraging. Her courage and motivation is remarkable.
Oct 10, 2011 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: April, Margy, Megan, Angela
Recommended to Brian by: Accidental discovery
I really loved this book. Wilson is an incredibly brave soul, a person fully cognizant of the responsibility of the individual and determined to effect change. Hopefully, Wilson will make the trek to Austin sometime in the coming months, including a sit-down with the Junto reading group. I could recommend this book to everyone.

An ideal Capstone topic from an unreasonable woman.
Aug 23, 2010 Janna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I heard Diane Wilson speak at a conference a few years ago, and was completely struck by her level of conviction and willingness to sacrifice almost everything she had in order to protect her local waters. Her book didn't disappoint. At some times it was almost unbearable to read about setback after setback, but I had to keep reading to see how she would overcome the next challenge.
Jul 13, 2009 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summer reading at Fairfield since she'll be speaking on campus for Freshmen Convocation in September.

While the story is inspiring, I found her writing rambling and hard to follow at times. I also thought the book could have been about 100 pages shorter. Great story about a very average woman who made a great impact on her community, but the way it was told needed some work.
Jim Noyes
Mar 27, 2011 Jim Noyes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From a purely literature standpoint, this book is not terribly well written, could have been eddited better. And that's OK with me, for what you have is a totally unvarnished story, in her own words, of a woman with deep, strong convictions. A very brave lady, she describes in detail her struggle for environmental justice. A wonderful, wonderful book
Jul 08, 2015 Dianne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Although I did not really enjoy reading this book - the author's somewhat stream-of-consciousness style was difficult for me to process - I learned alot about the difficulties of dealing with large companies and their environmental pollution. Diane Wilson has incredible drive and perseverance in her efforts to force companies to do right.
Kathy Smartt
Her first two books were better. They showed the need for environmental change and how Diane went about bringing that change to Calhoun County. This book, while interesting, dwelt more on her fight with local enforcement officers rather than on the serious environmental issues in her area.
This was an interesting true story!
Leah Hortin
Apr 10, 2012 Leah Hortin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
DNF. Made it 10% of the way through. After reading a lot of glowing reviews and a praising foreward, I was stoked for this free kindle book but whomp, whomp. It fell totally flat. I didn't like the voice or the subject.
Feb 27, 2008 Ivanna rated it it was amazing
Diane Wilson is a startingly woman and a heck of a writer. The book has no Hollywood ending but fascinates and encourages despite the evil reality of Texas' love with industry and their flagrant destruction of natural resources.
Alma Abedul
Jun 27, 2008 Alma Abedul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The determination of one person can indeed challenge the perogatives of big money and the corruption of Texas' politics. Check out her new book, Holy Roller, to be released July 2008.
Tattered Cover Book Store
Author Rick Bass recomended this book as part of the Rocky Mountain Land Library's "A Reading List For the President Elect: A Western Primer for the Next Administration."
Aug 14, 2012 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating true story about one woman's determined fight, with and without support, against pollution, big business, bureaucracy and corruption.
Mar 15, 2009 Caitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Protest activism at it's finest. Diane Wilson is a woman to be admired. Incredibly frustrating, yet inspiring, read for an environmentalist.
Feb 17, 2009 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Diane Wilson transformed before my eyes from a shrimper/mother into a dogged environmentalist... wow! Well written, compelling read.
David Reber
Sep 25, 2012 David Reber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, one person can make a difference. Diane Wilson lived in the most polluted county in the country and decided to do something about it.
Jul 07, 2008 Janeen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: environmental activists and anyone wanting to know more about the issues
like most books, i didn't finish, but it is a great story of a woman who fought for clean water and responsible behavior from polluters.
Robyn V.
Dec 15, 2011 Robyn V. marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
20% of the way through and I just have not been picking this up much to read it...and life is too short, I'm on to the next :)
Aug 01, 2012 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story line, and I was rooting for her, but the writing was clunky and things moved along too slowly to keep my interest.
  • Palm Trees on the Hudson: A True Story of the Mob, Judy Garland & Interior Decorating
  • The Women of the House: How a Colonial She-Merchant Built a Mansion, a Fortune, and a Dynasty
  • Strangely Like War: The Global Assault on Forests
  • Adventures of a Motorcycle Despatch Rider During the First World War
  • Nancy Cunard: Heiress, Muse, Political Idealist
  • The Findhorn Garden: Pioneering a New Vision of Man and Nature in Cooperation
  • Attorney for the Damned: Clarence Darrow in the Courtroom
  • Best Little Stories from the Civil War: More than 100 true stories
  • The Last Flight of the Scarlet Macaw: One Woman's Fight to Save the World's Most Beautiful Bird
  • The Cultural Front: The Laboring of American Culture in the Twentieth Century
  • Hometown Appetites: The Story of Clementine Paddleford, the Forgotten Food Writer Who Chronicled How America Ate
  • National Geographic Complete Survival Manual
  • Letters to a Bullied Girl: Messages of Healing and Hope
  • Destiny (Spirit of Union #1)
  • Blind Courage: Journey of Faith
  • Alone atop the Hill: The Autobiography of Alice Dunnigan, Pioneer of the National Black Press
  • Watchdogs of Democracy?: The Waning Washington Press Corps and How It Has Failed the Public
  • Bella Abzug: How One Tough Broad from the Bronx Fought Jim Crow and Joe McCarthy, Pissed Off Jimmy Carter, Battled for the Rights of Women and Workers, ... Planet, and Shook Up Politics Along the Way