Start by marking “Four Great Comedies: Taming of the Shrew, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Twelfth Night, The Tempest (Signet Classic)” as Want to Read:

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  353 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The four plays selected for this collection--The Taming of the Shrew, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Twelfth Night, and The Tempest--represent a significant stage in the development of the world's greatest dramatist.
Published August 21st 1986 by Signet Classics (first published 1625)

To ask other readers questions about Four Great Comedies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Great Comedies

Rebecca
Shakespeare had to have been on drugs when he wrote some of this. It's hilarious and very entertaining. I highly recommend A Midsummer Night's Dream and Twelfth Night. If you can't get passed how it is written, go see the plays.
Marguerite
I wanted to read "Shrew" before seeing the production at the Virginia Shakespeare Festival, and -- sorry Sras. Santiful, Paffrath, McLeod -- I concluded that Shakespeare is meant to be heard and seen. I understand the language in performance perfectly well. So, I've left myself a dilemma: to finish this volume, or not. Well, I've already purchased a copy of "Othello," and have tickets to see that show, so I think I'll carry on with my reading, but might also rent some DVD's. As for "Shrew," I th ...more
Michelle
Feb 24, 2015 Michelle rated it liked it
All were good, but ooh I really liked a Midsummer Night's Dream. Laughed out loud a few times and I loved the chaos of the storyline and it's resolution was sweet. :)
Littlej
Jan 23, 2015 Littlej rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i found the book very interesting.for the most part i would laugh my butt off.
Bob Glynn
I only read " A Midsummer Night's Dream" but couldn't figure out how to get only that title on the Goodreads update. I rarely Shakespeare in school, and now I have to teach this play for A level exams. Give me strength, Lord! Still this was much more fun than any Shakespeare play was in high school.
Stacey Betts
Read only Twelfth Night
John McLaughlin
May 01, 2009 John McLaughlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adult ed readers, for the criticism
Recommended to John by: Athanasios Boulukis, college at Lowell.
Misognyny does not become him - the Taming of the Shrew is a bad play, and 12th Night is sadistic. The other two are excellent, the Tempest crowns the canon.
Madelyn
Jun 17, 2007 Madelyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3rdand12th
i have been required to read this book three times now, and it has slowly died away in my mind. "caliban" is an anagram for "canibal," blah blah blah.
Kevin
Jul 04, 2008 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, shakespeare
c'mon it is Shakespeare they're all good and there are a million books to tell you why. Some will even tell you Shakespeare didn't exist
Emalei (VC)
Mar 16, 2009 Emalei (VC) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out of this I just read Midsummer Night's Dream, and only because I was in the play. I loved it-all the faeries and magic of it.
Crystal Ellyson
Jul 14, 2015 Crystal Ellyson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! It has my four favorite plays by Shakespeare. I also love the helpful information in this book also.
Meredith Boyle
May 03, 2012 Meredith Boyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved twelfth Night. It remains my favorite of his comedies
Tryce
i read tree of the four... and the first two are my favs
Jeanne
Read them all and still cherish every line and character!
Kaisha
Dec 28, 2009 Kaisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taming of the Shrew was my favorite of the four.
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Laura Griffin
Laura Griffin rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Gerry
Gerry marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Anele Gxoyiya
Anele Gxoyiya marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Sara A
Sara A marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Angel Atwater
Angel Atwater rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Stick
Stick marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Bethany K.
Bethany K. marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Krista Bell
Krista Bell rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Mara
Mara is currently reading it
Mar 13, 2016
Bianca Byrne
Bianca Byrne marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
  • Creeds of the Churches: A Reader in Christian Doctrine from the Bible to the Present
  • The Heidelberg Catechism
  • The Complete Plays of Gilbert and Sullivan
  • Bonaventure
  • The Apostolic Fathers: Greek Texts and English Translations
  • On the Unity of Christ
  • On God and Christ, The Five Theological Orations and Two Letters to Cledonius: St. Gregory of Nazianzus
  • The Complete Works
  • The First and Second Apologies (Ancient Christian Writers)
  • Basic Theological Writings
  • John Milton: The Major Works (Oxford World's Classics)
  • On the Apostolic Preaching
  • Three Gothic Novels: The Castle of Otranto, Vathek, The Vampyre, and a Fragment of a Novel
  • Selected Poems of Christina Rossetti (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
  • The Misanthrope and Other Plays
  • The Rebel Prince
  • Five Complete Hercule Poirot Novels: ABC Murders / Cards on the Table / Death on the Nile / Murder on the Orient Express / Thirteen at Dinner
  • Playing with Fire: How the Bible Ignites Change in Your Soul
William Shakespeare (baptised 26 April 1564) was an English poet and playwright, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon" (or simply "The Bard"). His surviving works consist of 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and several other poems. His plays have been tr ...more
More about William Shakespeare...