Start by marking “Four Great Comedies: Taming of the Shrew, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Twelfth Night, The Tempest (Signet Classic)” as Want to Read:

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  314 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The four plays selected for this collection--The Taming of the Shrew, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Twelfth Night, and The Tempest--represent a significant stage in the development of the world's greatest dramatist.
Published August 21st 1986 by Signet Classics (first published 1625)

To ask other readers questions about Four Great Comedies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Great Comedies

Rebecca
Shakespeare had to have been on drugs when he wrote some of this. It's hilarious and very entertaining. I highly recommend A Midsummer Night's Dream and Twelfth Night. If you can't get passed how it is written, go see the plays.
Marguerite
I wanted to read "Shrew" before seeing the production at the Virginia Shakespeare Festival, and -- sorry Sras. Santiful, Paffrath, McLeod -- I concluded that Shakespeare is meant to be heard and seen. I understand the language in performance perfectly well. So, I've left myself a dilemma: to finish this volume, or not. Well, I've already purchased a copy of "Othello," and have tickets to see that show, so I think I'll carry on with my reading, but might also rent some DVD's. As for "Shrew," I th...more
Bob Glynn
I only read " A Midsummer Night's Dream" but couldn't figure out how to get only that title on the Goodreads update. I rarely Shakespeare in school, and now I have to teach this play for A level exams. Give me strength, Lord! Still this was much more fun than any Shakespeare play was in high school.
Stacey Betts
Read only Twelfth Night
John McLaughlin
May 01, 2009 John McLaughlin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adult ed readers, for the criticism
Recommended to John by: Athanasios Boulukis, college at Lowell.
Misognyny does not become him - the Taming of the Shrew is a bad play, and 12th Night is sadistic. The other two are excellent, the Tempest crowns the canon.
Madelyn
i have been required to read this book three times now, and it has slowly died away in my mind. "caliban" is an anagram for "canibal," blah blah blah.
Kevin
c'mon it is Shakespeare they're all good and there are a million books to tell you why. Some will even tell you Shakespeare didn't exist
Emalei (VC)
Out of this I just read Midsummer Night's Dream, and only because I was in the play. I loved it-all the faeries and magic of it.
Meredith Boyle
I loved twelfth Night. It remains my favorite of his comedies
Tryce
i read tree of the four... and the first two are my favs
Jeanne
Read them all and still cherish every line and character!
Kaisha
Taming of the Shrew was my favorite of the four.
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Saranda Azemi
Saranda Azemi marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Bri
Bri added it
Aug 30, 2014
Reetika Gupta
Reetika Gupta marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Cara Caishlen
Cara Caishlen marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
C.J.
C.J. added it
Aug 09, 2014
Becca
Becca added it
Jul 20, 2014
Percy
Percy marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
  • The Complete Works
  • John Milton: The Major Works (Oxford World's Classics)
  • On the Apostolic Preaching
  • Five Complete Hercule Poirot Novels (ABC Murders / Cards on the Table / Death on the Nile / Murder on the Orient Express / Thirteen at Dinner)
  • Basic Theological Writings
  • The Major Works (World's Classics)
  • The Misanthrope and Other Plays
  • Euthyphro/Apology/Crito
  • Selected Poems of Christina Rossetti (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
  • The Idea of a University
  • Collected Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald: Flappers and Philosophers/Tales of the Jazz Age (Barnes & Noble Library of Essential Reading)
  • The Red Badge of Courage And Four Stories
  • Six Plays: Peer Gynt / A Doll's House / Ghosts / The Wild Duck / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • Roman Lives: A Selection of Eight Lives
  • Jirel of Joiry
  • Black Beauty Storybook Edition
  • The G-String Murders
  • Terminator 2: Judgment Day
William Shakespeare (baptised 26 April 1564) was an English poet and playwright, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon" (or simply "The Bard"). His surviving works consist of 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and several other poems. His plays have been tr...more
More about William Shakespeare...
Romeo and Juliet Hamlet Macbeth A Midsummer Night's Dream Othello