Start by marking “Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways to Regain Peace and Nourish Your Soul” as Want to Read:
Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways to Regain Peace and Nourish Your Soul

Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways to Regain Peace and Nourish Your Soul

The author of Simplify Your Life offers a path to the simpler life of mind and spirit through meditation, solitude, making spirituality a regular part of the day, and getting in touch with your creativity.
Published April 20th 1995 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Inner Simplicity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inner Simplicity

Amanda
May 18, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I love, love, love this book. It contains very basic ways to live in the present moment and make the most of life.
I am a worrying kind of a girl, I can't recall a time when I didn't have this bad habit. This simple little book gave me some important tools to combat my worrying nature and confront the fears that provoke the worry.
For me it is a choice I have to make and this book really helped me to see that.
Ami
Mar 20, 2012 Ami rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012
I wish I'd simplified my inner life by not reading (or even skimming) this book. I'm planning to simplify my life further by not reading any more of these simplicity books. For a while, at least.
Allen Steele
Jan 19, 2013 Allen Steele rated it liked it
read this almost 15 Years ago, but i still think often about the suggestions on how to slow down & smell the roses
Tucker
Dec 04, 2016 Tucker rated it liked it
Basically true information. As a 1995 publication about eliminating distraction, the absence of any mention of Internet is noticeable, but that's all right because we don't need to be told that Internet falls into the category of distraction along with social commitments, TV and magazines, bad food and overwork. This is about solutions, not problems, and all the strategies for overcoming distraction still apply today. More bothersome than its slight datedness is the assumption of a financially s ...more
Liisa
Simply, what a gem of a book!

100 short but meaningful suggestions to simplify your life with the aim of squeezing more joy, fulfilment and love out of your life.

These dip in, dip out chapters are further split into several sections:

1/. Things you'll *want* to do
2/. Easy things to *think* about doing
3/. More difficult things to think about doing
4/. The hard stuff
5/. Some fun stuff

You can read it in any order you wish but I started at the beginning and worked my way through it only stopping to ref
Robyn
Aug 04, 2008 Robyn rated it it was amazing
Quick, short 'chapters' full of good ideas on how to let go of stuff, literally; how to say, 'no thanks,' and lots of other things that have helped me and continue to help me. I'd love it if we lived close enough to work to just ride our bikes; to have a huge garden, to toss out the TV (husband likes sports now and then), and I do turn off the ringer on the phone anytime I want to. :)
Jenny
Oct 13, 2009 Jenny rated it liked it
This book gave me some good ideas. I am going to: create a sanctuary, buy some outdoor chairs so I can enjoy time outside every evening, connect with the sun each day, admit to people that I know nothing about current events and don't really care, laugh more, exercise even though the daycare kids are here, pick fresh flowers and plants for my house. Again, my kids think I am weird.
Shari
Jun 22, 2008 Shari rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life. I had previously tried to make changes to simplify, but I didn't seem to *feel* that life was calmer or simpler. This book showed me the changes I needed to make to change my inner world, not just my outer world. I return to this book whenever I need to slow down.
Shaoola
Aug 10, 2012 Shaoola rated it it was amazing
Loved it
Read it over 10 years ago yet the lessons I learned from it still echo throughout the years
Angela
Jul 28, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it
Pithy advice in a non-threatening package.
Maryah Mohammed
Feb 15, 2017 Maryah Mohammed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
ببساطه، السلام الداخلي .. سعادة ما بعدها سعادة
أن تجد نفسك
أن تعرفها
وتعرف إلى أين المسير
تعرف متى وكيف وأين أنت ؟!
سلام

كونوا سعداء بأنفسكم
Greg Z
Feb 11, 2016 Greg Z rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I've had this with me for 20 years now and there is some good ideas here. Like #14: "Figure out what you don't want in your life". I've a list of things I've given up, like television news shows, Facebook, and most importantly the volume/vibration of my perfectly functional flip phone. I check it maybe four times a day and sometimes never on a day here and there. I am the master of my phone, not the other way around. Anyway, still have a number of things to work on, of course, like chillin' out ...more
Jenna
Aug 27, 2013 Jenna rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I will admit, I like a good self-help book every once and awhile. I tend to gravitate toward books such as this that focus on simplifying our lives. To me, it's not about simplifying in the way of getting rid of our technology and etc. but rather about adapting a more simplified way of thinking. This book was a quick read but towards the end it started to get a little out there for me. Only took me a couple hours to get through this one and it could easily be picked up and pages throu ...more
Pauline
Aug 25, 2015 Pauline rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, smcl
I was so disappointed by Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down and Enjoy the Things That Really Matterthat perhaps I didn't give this a fair chance. Maybe there are some good tips here, but that's all it is: disjointed "try this" suggestions instead of the holistic approach I'd hoped for. Borrow this from your library; don't buy it.
Carrie Marcotte
Feb 13, 2011 Carrie Marcotte rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
I didn't use the chapters in this book as much as the ones in Simplify Your Life, but there's a few things in here we need to be reminded to do in our lives more often to learn to enjoy more. It's a little New Age, but exercises like 'connect with the sun,' 'slow down,' 'consider a family retreat,' 'just say no,' and 'be honest with people.' It's an interesting path. I certainly didn't choose to do a lot of the things in this book, but I liked the simplicity of some of them.
Jayme
May 29, 2012 Jayme rated it liked it
St. James' first book "Simplify Your Life" will always have a special place in my library because her suggestions were life changing for me. I didn't find this follow-up book as practical or profound, but it has some good suggestions. I suggest readers start with the first book and move on to this one later on, when they have an appetite for more simplicity advice.
Angi
Sep 10, 2012 Angi rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2012
While I really enjoyed St. James first book and parts of this book, I grew weary of fishing the tasty bites out of the pools of malarkey. Psychics, runes, out of body experiences.... really??? It's so much easier to find inner simplicity by just trusting in the loving God of the Bible.
Tamra
Jan 17, 2010 Tamra rated it really liked it
I have read this before but enjoyed the idea of simplifiying my life to allow more room for the important things and to feel more joy. I think I will try to rid myself of m,y addiction to computer games again.
Kay
Aug 16, 2010 Kay rated it it was amazing
What a refreshing experience in reading, simple, and light like mint ice tea on a summer day! I was exposed to ideas I never even thought of before. I have been putting alot of these into practice and have seen a definate diference in my life.
Linda
Jul 05, 2010 Linda rated it liked it
Some of the ideas are in my comfort zone and can help me be more centered in what matters most. This book was a gift from a friend.
Nancy
Feb 21, 2012 Nancy rated it liked it
Some good things to think about but a bit dated.
Judith
Sep 25, 2008 Judith rated it it was amazing
I'll read anything to do with simplicity.
This is a good book to get you back into balance with your life and out of the world.
Kristy
Jul 01, 2010 Kristy rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be so helpful in my own journey towards simplicity and peace. The author provides great tips and insight as well as resources for additional reading.
Lisa
Sep 01, 2008 Lisa marked it as to-read
Life
Brooke Riley
Jul 27, 2015 Brooke Riley rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
This book had some great ideas that I plan to implement.
Yousif Al Zeera
Aug 21, 2012 Yousif Al Zeera rated it it was ok
No rich content.
Stella
Nov 05, 2015 Stella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help, 2015
Absolutely loved this just like every other book on simplifying written by Elaine St. James. I totally dig her approach to simple living.
Jennifer Shirley
Dec 18, 2015 Jennifer Shirley rated it really liked it
Shelves: currently-own
This was a read again book as I have owned it for many years and been through it several times. It is not the Bible, but I like the simplicity of a reminder of good things to do in a page or two.
Steve Beilharz
Oct 04, 2013 Steve Beilharz rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
Could rate this book either 3 or 4 stars.
Farah
Apr 05, 2011 Farah rated it really liked it

what can I say more than ,, " Life is Simple,, it Requires Simplicity "
: )
  • Meditations for Women Who Do Too Much
  • Spirit Song: The Introduction of No-Eyes
  • The Circle of Simplicity: Return to the Good Life
  • Wicca + Living Wicca + The Complete Book of Incense, Oils and Brews
  • Imagine a Woman in Love with Herself: Embracing Your Wisdom and Wholeness
  • The Secret Language of Dreams: A Visual Key to Dreams and Their Meanings
  • Woman's Retreat Book: A Guide to Restoring, Rediscovering and Reawakening Your True Self --In a Moment, An Hour, Or a Weekend
  • The Scalpel and the Soul: Encounters with Surgery, the Supernatural, and the Healing Power of Hope
  • The Simple Living Guide
  • The Path to Tranquility: Daily Wisdom
  • The Bounce Back Book: How to Thrive in the Face of Adversity, Setbacks, and Losses
  • Voluntary Simplicity: Toward a Way of Life That is Outwardly Simple, Inwardly Rich
  • After Life
  • Take Time for Your Life
  • Energy Addict: 101 Physical, Mental, and Spiritual Ways to Energize Your Life
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others
  • The Tightwad Gazette: Promoting Thrift as a Viable Alternative Lifestyle
  • Adventures of a Psychic: The Fascinating and Inspiring True-Life Story of One of America's Most Successful Clairvoyants