Start by marking “Signs & Symbols” as Want to Read:
Signs & Symbols

Signs & Symbols

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  131 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A fascinating guide containing over 1600 visual symbols, including photographs, fine art paintings, and line illustrations with in-depth commentary, definitions and explanations.

With this guide, we can identify and analyze our visual vocabulary and interpret the unconscious codes and secret languages of our most ancient emotions.

Illustrations show how signs and symbols h
256 pages
Published 2006 by Hermes House (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Signs & Symbols, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Signs & Symbols

Travelin
Jan 21, 2015 Travelin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: started
I strongly admire the effort, I really do. But the fact that I learned so much from these concise chapters about every world religion and symbol system says more about me than it does, possibly, about the book. I really thought I'd hit the jackpot when the book offered a single explanation for the symbolism of the triple spirals at Newgrange. Those spirals are everywhere in Europe and they always have a different explanation. The exhibit at Newgrange suggested that their interpretation is very m ...more
Sheila
Jul 07, 2008 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely worth every bit of the five dollars I spent for it (yay Borders' sales!).

The book gives a brief but fascinating overview of some of the more common symbols found across cultures, pertaining to all aspects of our world.

Contents include generalized ancient symbols, symbols of myth and spirituality, symbolism in society, symbolism found in flora/fauna, and symbolic patterns and graphics.

I thought the directory of signs at the back of the book was a nice finishing touch and a quick and
Ruth
Nov 22, 2013 Ruth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
c2006: The blurb markets this to the 'scholar, dream-reader, magician, scientist, psychologist, historian or astrologist' - so that's quite a range. I should, of course, have looked more closely at the blurb before getting this book. It does have quite a lot of illustrations but perhaps in its efforts to cover so much, the content is not exactly detailed and you would probably be better off looking the symbols up on Wikipedia. If its a serious work you are looking for - this isn't it but I can s ...more
Mnemosyne Mars
Pretty good reference. It's so strange...I have several of these symbol encyclopedias and they always leave a few things out. They're never 100% comprehensive. Frustrating. This one at least has an index and a special icon section with brief descriptions for quick reference.
Keshia
Jan 17, 2011 Keshia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great primer for signs and symbols used in many eastern and western cultures. By no means exhaustive, this collection of symbols and signs is a good resource for anyone studying the deeper aspects of society, religion, and their ancient origins.
Regina
Nov 09, 2009 Regina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Although it was a great general overview of many different cultural and religious symbols and archetypes, I was leery that no sources or references were ever cited for the information given.
Stephen Mitskavich
It is a great resource which I continue to use for insight and inspiration.
Nick Adam
Jan 06, 2010 Nick Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Visual Communications throughout the ages and land!
Mike Salmans
Jun 05, 2013 Mike Salmans rated it it was amazing
When I grow up I wanna be Robert Langdon
Lordy Rozard
Jun 15, 2014 Lordy Rozard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good for tatto inspirations :p
Whitney Tarver
Whitney Tarver marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Mike Galligan
Mike Galligan marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Cody Sexton
Cody Sexton marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Taylor Parongao
Taylor Parongao is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2016
Lo r n a J. Dodge
Lo r n a J. Dodge marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
elspr
elspr is currently reading it
Jul 05, 2016
Jose Araguz
Jose Araguz marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Mboni Maumba
Mboni Maumba marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Kaci
Kaci marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
molly ashmeade
molly ashmeade marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Kate
Kate added it
Jun 01, 2016
Zidnee
Zidnee marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Anna-Grete Juchnewitsch
Anna-Grete Juchnewitsch marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
  • Encyclopedia of World Mythology
  • The Way of the Hedge Witch: Rituals and Spells for Hearth and Home
  • Signs, Symbols & Omens: An Illustrated Guide to Magical & Spiritual Symbolism
  • The Kings and Queens of England
  • Parker's Astrology: The Definitive Guide to Using Astrology in Every Aspect of Your Life (New Edition)
  • Sex Lives of the Popes
  • The Times Complete History of the World
  • The Complete Dictionary of Symbols
  • National Geographic Visual History of the World
  • Bernini
  • Element Encyclopedia Of Secret Signs And Symbols The Ultimate A Z Guide From Alchemy To The Zodiac
  • The Secret Language of Dreams: A Visual Key to Dreams and Their Meanings
  • Treasury of Egyptian Mythology: Classic Stories of Gods, Goddesses, Monsters & Mortals
  • The Dream Encyclopedia
  • Theatrical Design and Production: An Introduction to Scene Design and Construction, Lighting, Sound, Costume, and Makeup
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World