Start by marking “Country Far Away” as Want to Read:
Country Far Away

Country Far Away

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Parallel pictures reveal the essential similarities between the lives of two boys, one in a western country, one in a rural African village.
Published September 1st 1991 by Scholastic (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Country Far Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Country Far Away

Zara
This is a story that I read to a group of five to seven year olds at my school. I found that the children responded really well and were enthralled by it. I enjoyed reading it out loud and thought it to be such a lovely book that I bought it for myself. The story is about two boys, one from a small African village and the other from a suburb in America, who go through the same experiences, such as going to school, but emphasising the major differences how growing up on opposite sides of the worl ...more
Marissa
The children's book "A Country Far Away" is a story of a typical day in the life of two young children in a small african village and a suburban setting. The book goes through everything each child experiences and the chores they have to do. When you read this book, you see the differences in their lifestyles and their quality of life. One of the elements that really helped portray this was the illustrations.
The illustrations in this book were set up like a comic book. There was the life of the
Peyton Shuckhart
Itzel
The story was about how two kids life their life. It starts by beginning their day normally and what they like to do. But as the reader you see two stories going on. One boy lives in a different country than the other but are both describing what they do. You see how differently they live but it is also the same. In the end, the boys are reading a book about each other’s countries and they want to travel there one day and meet others from that place.

This book is a picture book. It contains mostl
Hannah Wolf
This story is told in two different perspectives. One of an african boy and one of a middle class caucasian boy. The top half is the african boy and the bottom half is the caucasian boy. The author shows them playing soccer and how different it is from one culture to another. The author compares things like that throughout the entire story. Things like going to school, swimming and even just hanging out with friends are all compared between the two boys. In the end the boys both wish that they c ...more
Julia
In this book, it follows the stories of two young boys and their experiences. It shows each of their stories side by side through colorful and detailed illustrations.
The illustrations in this book spanned across both pages in panels. The top portion depicted the life of a boy in another country which looks similar to somewhere in Africa. The panel below is of a boy who is most likely in the United States. In this book, its truly the illustrations that make this picture book so detailed. The tex
Selina
A Country Far Away is a story of different boys telling about their everyday lifestyle. The boy at the bottom looks like a typical American family and the one on the bottom looks like a small African family. As the boys tell their stories you can see how similar yet how different they are from each other.

I think this book is a good eye opener for children. I think it gets them to think about their life outside the box and realize what it is like outside their own sheltered world. I think someti
Elizabeth Smith
Gray, Nigel. A Country Far Away. Illus. Philippe Dupasquier. New York: Orchard Books, 1988. Print. Fiction, manners and customs. A Country Far Away tells the same story for the lives of two boys. One boy lives in Africa with his family and the other is from America. I think the author and illustrator worked really well together on creating two point of views from the same text. I also think the illustrator’s difference in color scheme between the two scenes helps emphasize the culture difference ...more
Alyssa
-great comparison of two cultures
-shows similarities and differences
-inspires students to start pen pals, or become friends with a kids from somewhere else
-shows that the child is doing the same thing in a different way
-1/2 grade up to maybe fourth.
Dianne J.
A Country Far Away, Nigel Gray, 1988

Age of readership: Ages 3 – 8

Genre: Picture Book

Diversity: Culture Comparison

Illustrations: Comic strip style square drawings in soft watercolors

My response to the book: The story is written down the middle ground space of each page with the illustrations above the middle ground of a child in a small rural African village and the illustrations below the middle ground are of a child in an average suburban neighborhood in the United States or some other 1st Worl
Robin Le duc
This book can be used for so many things in a classroom. I previously worked with African Refugees, and this book was a great springboard for discussion.
Cheryl
I loved the concept of this book. I also believe kids will enjoy it. My only concern, as a parent, is what would my first/second grader might take away from this book that is negative.

I would find it important to focus strongly on the similarities between the children since many of the differences leave a sense that the African child is poor and the American child is upper middle class.

Sensitive readers:(view spoiler)
Lindsey
This book is told from two little boys, one in Africa and one in America, as one boy. They both do the same things, but differently since they are from different parts of the world. The illustrations show the differences. Very good at showing diversity.
Heila
Excellent. Draws parallels between two countries - one European, one African. This title is kind of hard to find, but it's great, great, great. Our lives are the same all over the world, in important ways. The illustrations are wonderful.
Andrea
I love how one story is told and you can see it unfold in two completely different ways - one in Africa and one in North America.
Chela N
Chela N marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Apr 27, 2015
Andrea
Andrea added it
Delany
Delany marked it as to-read
Molly Rose
Molly Rose marked it as to-read
Kathy Brigman
Kathy Brigman marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
My Dog, My Cat, My Mama, and Me! I'll Take You To Mrs Cole! A Balloon for Grandad Time to Play! And Kangaroo Played His Didgeridoo