Fortune Cookie Fortunes

Fortune Cookie Fortunes

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Crack, crack, crack! The cookies snap open and the family’s fortunes are revealed. Mei Mei wants to know how hers will come true. Jie Jie scoffs—they never come true. But Pacy isn’t so sure. As she waits and watches, she notices magical things happening in her family. Could the fortunes really be right? And what about Pacy’s fortune: “You will see the world in a new way”?...more
Published December 26th 2006 by Dragonfly Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Fortune Cookie Fortunes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortune Cookie Fortunes

Anne-thomas Donnelly
Fortune Cookie Fortunes was a cute book. It was a story of a little girl and her family's fortune cookies and how their fortunes came true. I would not just read this book for fun to my classroom. I thought is was a good book to read if your class was studying Asian cultures and their different types of foods. The language throughout the book was not very creative or captivating. I think kids would get bored while listening to it. Although the story line was not the best the illustrations were v...more
Marta Boksenbaum
In this book, a young girl sees the world through the fortunes she and her family receive at a chinese food restaurant. The illustrations are brightly colored and adorable. Lin continues to introduce children to Asian-American culture with her depiction of a Chinese-American family, using colloquial terms for family members, and showing the family in their every day tasks. The afterword which explains the origin of fortune cookies is informational and easy to understand.
Erin Lorimer
This is truly an adorable book! This book is about a Chinese family who proves fortune cookies to be true. A little girl finds delight in each of her family member's fortunes and recognizes the truth each holds. Life lessons and insight are noted in every aspect of life. Children would have so much fun reading each of the fortunes because who doesn't love the fortune cookie part of Chinese food?
Dolly
Oct 30, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story that describes the world in terms of Chinese fortune cookies. One little girl shows how each family member's fortune comes true in one way or another. The story is fun, and there's an interesting note at the end of the story that provides more information about the origins of this truly Asian-American treat. We enjoyed reading this story together.
Trish
Loved it - cute, easy to read, and fun!
Jane
I think this is on bar with Lissy's Friends as my favorite Grace Lin's picture book: a whimsical and refreshing take on fortune cookies. Grace Lin has a way of making things new.
Katherine
Jan 11, 2009 Katherine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: my mom
This was fun to read. And her exaggerated art is fun to look at. I enjoyed reading about the origins of fortune cookies at the end, too. I wonder if I should send Grace Lin the fortune I received once: You are a lover of words. Someday you will write a book.
Elizabeth
This is a beautiful book about the art of the fortune cookie. The end page tells the history of fortune cookies in America. The story is about the inspirational wishes that we receive in fortune cookies. It makes you want to create your own!!
Marcia
A bright and cheerful story about a girl who sees fortunes coming true all around her. It's an interesting lenses through which to see the world. Grace Lin does a lovely job of sharing her heritage and this book was fun to read.
Hannah Cobb
This is an enjoyable book, illustrated in bold colors and large shapes, but the storyline is too intricate for really young children, and the many tiny "fortunes" throughout make it a poor choice for a storytime read.
Margaret
A child sees that the fortune cookie's fortunes are coming true in her family. Give children hope that things can get better, and that there is magic in fortune cookies, which are normally only seen as dessert.
Brigid Keely
Fun, whimsical illustrations propel a cute story about fortune cookies and personality. This is a nice, gentle story to share with a kid or kids, especially if you've recently shared a fortune cookie or two.
A nice look at fortune cookie fortunes that mostly come true...because their applications are so varied. Looking at life through fortune cookie fortune eyes as you will.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Fortune cookie fortunes do come true, just not always as we expect them to. The message may be a bit too subtle for young children, but I liked the book.
Kaitlyn
This book has a great family and multicultural aspect.Great for preschool.
Katie
Cute story and includes a nice summary of the fortune cookie's history.
Dee
This was a very uplifting book. Very nice illustrations.
Mckinley
Fun. Always ways to see that fortune cookies do come true.
Kate
All their fortunes come true in interesting ways.
Amanda
Cute story and nice imagination (loosely) book.
Lindsay
Chinese American traditions; cookies
Stacy
Stacy added it
Aug 14, 2014
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon The Year of the Dog Starry River of the Sky The Year of the Rat Dumpling Days