Start by marking “The Stalker” as Want to Read:
The Stalker

The Stalker

March, 1959
The khaki—colored Smithfield armored car entered the enclosed
grounds of Mannerling Chemical, a few miles south of Granite City, Illinois, ...
Published January 1st 1971 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Stalker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stalker

Ed
Jun 30, 2009 Ed rated it it was amazing
I believe this was Bill's debut novel. I have it in hardcover somewhere at Castle Lynskey.
Ubiquitousbastard
Oct 06, 2012 Ubiquitousbastard rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime, fiction, mystery
Not all that impressed. I guessed who was doing the killing pretty much as soon as the killing started. I think the book was too short to have so many love interest-esque characters and to make them effective. The epilogue was extremely staccato and felt too removed, like it needed some editing or something.
Cat.
Nov 07, 2013 Cat. rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
This was interesting in a time-travel kind of way. I kept picturing 60s series as the settings for the houses. In fact, most of the settings, in my mind, are black & white a la "I Love Lucy" and "Bewitched." However, it is always interesting to see an accomplished author's first published work.

The plot revolves around a group of men who held up an armored car over 10 years ago. Suddenly, several of them, scattered across the country, have had fatal "accidents." The remaining three are forced
Camilla
Dec 10, 2012 Camilla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
That awkward moment when you’re enjoying a really good suspense and mystery book, and it suddenly turns into a goddamn love story..

What the fuck?!

Why book, why would you do that to me? Had I wanted to read a love story I would have picked up a freaking Nicholas Sparks book!

Ughh.

This is a story that circles 6 men who one by one is getting killed by a mystery man. We get POV’s from a few of these, and many others..
The story itself is pretty good, and I was definitely hooked. I wanted to know who
Janet Horner
Jul 23, 2013 Janet Horner rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Not bad. Very quick... just under 200 pages long. Saw some reviews that griped about it turning into a love story. I didn't think that at all. Decent character building and I didn't guess who the "stalker" was... had an inkling but certainly didn't feel like it was given away or poorly disguised.

Book was a freebie from the Cottonwood Falls Library at a sale they had two years ago. Just now got around to reading it and it was worth every penny. Ha!
Stunatra
Dec 30, 2012 Stunatra rated it it was ok
It was okay. I expected better. I prefer Pronzini's short stories. The way this was written kind of removed most of the suspense. If it was re-structured, it would fare better. For instance, we know too much of what the 'stalker' is doing, into his head a bit too much. A really generic story, in any case.

Metagion
Aug 14, 2011 Metagion rated it it was amazing
This book is REALLY good....It keeps you reading like a freight train! This is one of those books that allows you to see both sides of the equation: the mind of the 'villain' and the mind of the 'anti-hero'. VERY good for those who love quick and dirty thrillers! High recommend!
Michael Katz
Sep 19, 2015 Michael Katz rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All that like crime/mystery books.
Recommended to Michael by: don't remember.
Shelves: 2016
Great mystery novel. To me Bill Pronzini is a hidden gem. I just discovered him this past September and have read three more of his and enjoyed them all. Real crime /mystery and I look forward to many more Bill Pronzini offerings to read in 2016.
Sunshine✰✰✰
"I didn't see the point in having the POV's of the wives/girlfriends. In fact, once their men were killed, they were cut out of the story anyway. It got better towards the end, but it was a struggle to get there."
Nancy
May 09, 2008 Nancy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Nancy by: LJ recommended the author
Shelves: mystery
This is a fast paced mystery/thriller. Men who participated in a never solved robbery of an armored truck are being picked off one-by-one 11 years after the crime. At only 190 pages it makes a good read-on-the-plane book.
Coalbanks
Jul 02, 2009 Coalbanks rated it it was ok
BungleGrind
BungleGrind rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2015
Tonstant Weader
Tonstant Weader rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2010
Irene
Irene rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Ocean
Ocean rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2008
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Justina Hayden
Justina Hayden rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2009
S.
S. rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2015
Hoa Bui The
Hoa Bui The rated it it was ok
Nov 10, 2013
Ron Antonucci
Ron Antonucci rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2016
Trish Waters
Trish Waters rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2010
Dave McL
Dave McL rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Harvey
Harvey rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2010
Craig
Craig rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2008
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2011
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2009
Donnie Hazle
Donnie Hazle rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2012
CanadianEditor
CanadianEditor rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2013
Mystery Writers of America Awards "Grand Master" 2008
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1999) for Boobytrap
Edgar Awards Best Novel nominee (1998) for A Wasteland of Strangers
Shamus Awards Best Novel nominee (1997) for Sentinels
Shamus Awards "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) 1987
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1982) for Hoodwink

Married to author Marcia Muller.

Pseudonyms:
Robert Hart Davis (collab
More about Bill Pronzini...