Where Do We Go From Here: Chaos or Community?

Where Do We Go From Here: Chaos or Community?

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The last completed book by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. the author addresses issues of the emerging Black Power movement and his continued commitment to non-violent direct action as the means for change.
Hardcover in dust wrapper, 209 pages
Published 1967 by Harper & Row, Publishers, New York, Evenston, and London (first published November 30th 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Where Do We Go From Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Do We Go From Here

Tim
A remarkable book, apparently King Jr's last, published in June '67 a little less than a year before his assassination.

The context is amazing - the confrontation with the white Jim Crow arena in the South had been dismantled. King's disciplined non-violent resistance had proved enough of a contrast to the baton crunching and police dogs to raise up a majority of white indignation and anger that pulled the structure down. In 1965 major civil rights legislation had passed the US Congress and signe...more
Richard
I bought this book when I was a junior in high school to understand the Civil Rights movement and find out about Martin Luther King Jr. in his own words rather than in what the mainstream media was saying about him. People forget that King was hated by many people in white America, and his message was often distorted by the media. He was especially condemned by the white (and black) establishment after he gave a 1967 speech opposing the Vietnam War.
Walter
This is the last of Martin Luther King Jr.'s books and reflects the world-weariness that affected him deeply before his assassination. It is an uncharacteristically frank book, as King's frustration, transcendence and visionary thinking are so abundantly and powerfully evident. Yet, it's also hard not to be a tad saddened by it, too. Here, a modern martyr lays bare his soul and we find that he suffers greatly.

The subject matter of the book - including King's take on Black Power, white backlash,...more
Sheltondeverell
This book is instructive, as a clear example of persuasive language, as a record of the cogent intelligence behind King's speeches, and as a document that maps the main issues that motivated King and catalyzed his leadership. He talks about what the civil rights movement accomplished, their present in 1967, and the actions they should take in the future on several fronts. These areas include education, housing, employment, and rights, in a global struggle against poverty and racism. It is obviou...more
Woodrow
This is not a "MLK 101" book. It's his last piece of written literature, and represents many of his thoughts only some time before the bullet took him from us.

As such, it dispels many of the myths surrounding him. He advocates for ideas that, then and now, are radical, such as a minimum income (not simply a minimum wage, or welfare, but a baseline payment to everyone to allow for purchasing food, clothing, and shelter). He points to the black riots and black power as someone who decries violence...more
Vasha7
Civil Rights laws had been passed, but... This book is largely centered around what to do with the frustrating situation of governments that don't do anything to implement the laws they pass, who don't budget money for remediation programs and enforcement; whites who turn their attention away after the first statement of support; who think blacks are asking for too much; who want limited justice but not full equality -- and with the frustration, division, apathy, violence, that overtake the atti...more
Benjamin
Bill Ayers's "To Teach" quotes from this a few times, and it was always something that makes you go 'hmm' so I got the book. It's the last book-length writing from MLK and I think it was published after the assassination. MLK is dealing with the criticisms from the 'black power' groups while trying to move past some of the more limited short term goals of the civil rights movement and begin the 'poor peoples movement' in the bigger cities.

The book changed my view of MLK. I guess I had the symbol...more
Victor
While there are many documentaries on Dr. Martin Luther King, I believe that everyone who claims to admire him should also read Dr. King’s writings. This is a beautiful work, especially if you are interested in Chicago history, for Dr. King discusses Chicago’s issues on many occasions in this work. If I was a teacher, I would assign this.
shaz rasul
Written in 1967, "Where Do We Go from Here: Chaos or Community" charts what should have been the next phase in Dr. King's work, clearly directing us to the need for a concentrated effort on poverty and economic social justice. Reading these words in 2012 leaves one cold - for all the progress the civil rights era brought to America, on these economic issues we may as well be standing still.

"Where do we go from Here: Chaos or Community" is a must read to get a full picture of Dr. King's understa...more
Hadrian
Read for class.

I am astonished, perhaps amazed by Dr. King's thoughts. His transcendent non-violent morality, as well as his world-weary readiness for martyrdom are both apparent here. This was written after the momentous Civil Rights victory, and his efforts shifted from organizational and de facto instead of de jure racism. In short, the problems which still plague most of the black community today. If only he was alive a little bit longer. Much has been done to solve these problems in America...more
Bryan
A powerful message from MLK that has lost little power ot urgancy. If only we as a society had follwed King's vision we would have much more just society today.
Ben Moody
The philosophy of Martin Luther King Jr. goes far beyond what was outlined in "I Have a Dream." Published just a few months before his assassination, he outlines his vision for the future. I honestly believe that many people would not want to build a monument to remember him, let alone like him, if they read this book, which makes his extreme liberal beliefs, which border of socialism, clear. But regardless, it is a very good and insightful book.
Ben Fredrick
I am really amazed at how insightful Dr. King was. He had tremendous perspective, not only on the current situation but on the rivulets and streams that formed the rivers and oceans we see today in our society. I learned a tremendous amount from this book, and I have plenty underlined. It's not as useful as some of his other writings, but if you've read some of his other work, then this is a good one to pick up.
Shaun
It was a difficult read at times but amazing in its timeless quality. The fact that it was written in 1968 but continues to apply to the current global situation and American culture indicates how much work we still have to do. After reading the book however, Martin Luther King Jr. inspires one to continue his work.
Tracy
Opens by talking about the backlash a year after Civil Rights legislation was passed: "In several Southern states men long regarded as political clowns had become governors or only narrowly missed election, their magic achieved with a "witches" grew of bigotry, prejudice, half truths and whole lies." Sounds familiar.
Micah
Look back 46 years, it's a little disheartening to know that we are still struggling with some of the problems King addresses in this book. Nonetheless I see us choosing community over chaos. Patience is necessary for non-violent revolutions.
Kln9
Sep 09, 2008 Kln9 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Way ahead of its time. King's final book -- shows his evolution from 1963's I Have a Dream speech. Very insightful. A side of King that is not discussed.
Darceylaine
Must read for, well, all Americans. Really helped me deepen my thinking abour how far we have come, where we need to go, and how we can get there.
Lily
Must read! This could have been written today. If you live in Ithaca, this will be available back in print soon...Change the world!
Tunde
This book is awesome. A lot of what he covers still applies today. Its amazing how far we've come yet how far we have to go.
Shirari Industries
I'm reading this as part of the Ithaca MLK Community Build:
Samantha
I am reading this book as part of the Community Build Read in Ithaca, NY.
Cynthia L'Hirondelle
Another must read classic where MLK makes a case for guaranteed annual income.
Ardell
A remarkable book that is still relevant today.
Sneha
wrestles with the "what now?" question.
Jody
Jan 05, 2011 Jody is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Still reading.
Christopher
OK, so I expected this book to be a historical account of the civil rights movement. The scary thing, as I was reading it, is that I felt like it could have been written yesterday. This is one of those books that can change a person.
Shugabooga
Shugabooga marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Marilyn Latonya
Marilyn Latonya marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
  • I May Not Get There With You: The True Martin Luther King Jr
  • The Assassination of Fred Hampton: How the FBI and the Chicago Police Murdered a Black Panther
  • Blood in My Eye
  • Pedagogy of Freedom: Ethics, Democracy, and Civic Courage
  • Living Gently in a Violent World: The Prophetic Witness of Weakness (Resources for Reconciliation)
  • Gospel of Freedom: Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Letter from Birmingham Jail and the Struggle That Changed a Nation
  • Prototype: What Happens When You Discover You're More Like Jesus Than You Think?
  • The Great Turning: From Empire to Earth Community
  • Capitol Men: The Epic Story of Reconstruction Through the Lives of the First Black Congressmen
  • Man Is Not Alone: A Philosophy of Religion
  • Becoming Human
  • The Evidence of Things Not Seen
  • Malcolm X Speaks: Selected Speeches and Statements
  • Lost Prophet: The Life and Times of Bayard Rustin
  • Bearing the Cross: Martin Luther King, JR., and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference
  • Moral Man and Immoral Society: Study in Ethics and Politics
  • Stolen Legacy
  • Soul of a Citizen: Living With Conviction in a Cynical Time
Martin Luther King, Jr. was one of the pivotal leaders of the American civil rights movement. King was a Baptist minister, one of the few leadership roles available to black men at the time. He became a civil rights activist early in his career. He led the Montgomery Bus Boycott (1955–1956) and helped found the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (1957), serving as its first president. His ef...more
More about Martin Luther King Jr....
The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr. Why We Can't Wait Letter from the Birmingham Jail A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches Strength to Love

“Let us be dissatisfied until America will no longer have high blood pressure of creeds and an anemia of deeds. Let us be dissatisfied until the tragic walls that separate the outer city of wealth and comfort from the inner city of poverty and despair shall be crushed by the battering rams of the fires of justice. Let us be dissatisfied until they who live on the outskirts of Hope are brought into the metropolis of daily security. Let us be dissatisfied until slums are cast into the junk heap of history and every family will live in a decent, sanitary home. Let us be dissatisfied until the dark yesterdays of segregated schools will be
transformed into the bright tomorrows of quality integrated education.”
1 likes
“Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against love.” 0 likes