Start by marking “Perfect, the Pig” as Want to Read:
Perfect, the Pig

Perfect, the Pig

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  215 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Perfect the Pig longs for wings to fly away. When his wish is magically granted, he takes off for the skies and eventually comes to rest on the windowsill of an artist named Olive. The two become fast friends but when Perfect gets lost in flight, he is captured by an evil showman who forces him to perform tricks for money. A Reading Rainbow Book.
Published June 1st 1985 by Scholastic (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Perfect, the Pig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect, the Pig

Ronyell
Oct 20, 2012 Ronyell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves reading about pigs!
As you know, I have seen many children’s books through a brilliant and memorable television series called “Reading Rainbow” and this must be the one thousandth book that I have seen from “Reading Rainbow” which is called “Perfect the Pig.” “Perfect the Pig” is a children’s book by Susan Jeschke which is about an unusual pig named Perfect who has sprouted wings and he finds a friend in a woman named Olive. “Perfect the Pig” is a wonderful tale about true friendship that children will read over an ...more
Kathryn
Jul 23, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another "Reading Rainbow" book that totally got me as a kid! I was just utterly absorbed by this story and found it at once endearing and repulsive; the bad guy is just so darn bad (the part where he makes Perfect eat the trash just filled my little soul with such outrage!) but there is also so much love here. I'd like to read it again.
Dolly
Jan 03, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Our girls really enjoyed this story. It's a fantastic story, filled with good and bad, love and drama. The illustrations are all black and white, like pencil sketchings, but they bring the story to life. Our oldest borrowed this book from the library a second time; she really likes this story.
Stephanie Croaning
This story is sadder and more dramatic than a lot of children's books, so it may not be for every child. First, Perfect is the runt of his litter and is not accepted by his siblings or mother. There is also a pretty creepy bad guy who doesn't treat Perfect very well at all. Perfect has some scary and sad things happen in his life, but the story does have a good ending. It is a story about love and friendship, good and evil.

The illustrations are black and white sketches, which I feel match the mo
Karla
Mar 28, 2015 Karla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I remember watching the Reading Rainbow episode about this as a kid, but I repressed the memory until I found the book in the children's book store I worked at. As I opened it I got flash backs to ALL THE FEELS I felt as a child. From Perfect floating into the window all tired and sad, to the creepy, CREEPY old man who held Perfect for prisoner. He remains the creepiest most disturbing baddy in children's lit for me.

That all being said, maybe it's the nostalgia but I still really like
The Brothers
A little piglet that doesn't like doing "pig things" rescues a large sow that has fallen down (and can't get up!) wherein she grants him a wish and he picks wings. With his new wings he flies off to the city where he is adopted by an artist. Eventually he gets lost, captured by an evil man, and made to perform. Miserable, he is finally rescued by the artist and they move to the country to live happily ever after.

I remember reading this book as a child. I was a bit baffled by it then as I am snow
Nancy
Dec 02, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I sweet story about finding yourself and your family. The bad guy is pretty creepy.
Nancy Ely
Oct 17, 2015 Nancy Ely rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my childhood favorites! Heartwarming story
Text to text: Catwings
Charlotte's Web
Cindy
Sep 12, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it
How wonderful this story is...
Darkfire
Jun 27, 2013 Darkfire rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-kids
okay, some parts are a little cheesy, but I love it, and so does my 5yo. The artwork draws you in to the story. I think it wonderfully illustrates for children the difference between a safe adult and the type of person we always try to warn our kids about. However, the emphasis is on being with the people you love, and who love you, and it doesn't leave my kids cowering with fright of strangers and bad guys.
Robert
Jun 03, 2012 Robert rated it it was ok
Recommended to Robert by: flowers22
Shelves: fiction, pig, 3-3, own, cfc
The runt of the litter is chased away. He grows wings. How? Why? He's adopted by an artist who makes money from the paintings. He is treated well and named Perfect. He becomes lost and is found by a circus trainer who makes money by tethering him and having him fly. He does not treat Perfect well. The artist retrieves him.

Yeah, not that great of a story, is it?
Ellon
Mar 28, 2012 Ellon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just read this book with my PACE (high level) first graders. They loved hearing about Perfect and the story entranced them. The book was read along with Catwings, which has a similar story line (flying cats), but they seemed to like Perfect more.
Gloria Berger
This is another story where children can examine was is real and what is make believe. This book's illustrations were in black and white but I do not feel like they took away from the story. This book could also go along with talking about emotions.
Rebekah
I saw this on Reading Rainbow when I was a kid. My parents bought me a copy, and I still have it. It's a beautiful story of a pig with wings looking for his forever home. He meets some horrid people on the way, but finds his happy ending.
Amy
From Reading Rainbow episode: Perfect the Pig.
My daughter (8) is not really into "bad guy" stories so they lost her in that section. Before that she liked the story of the charming baby winged pig.
Marianne
Aug 18, 2010 Marianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have longed to find this book again! But I could not recall the title. Before I give it a proper review I must find a oopy and reread it. When I was a child, it made me cry.
Talia Adams
May 02, 2012 Talia Adams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adored this story as a child, had it memorized by kindergarten. Now I read it to my son who shares the same fascination with a flying, sweet pig. It's perfect!
jacky
Mar 26, 2008 jacky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, tv
I don't remember too much about this one except that it has a happy ending. This was featured on Reading Rainbow.
Aida
Jun 19, 2008 Aida rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i can still rememberwhen i read this book in 1983. it is one of my favorite books from childhood.
Tracy
A favorite of mine from my reading rainbow days.
Uses: pleasure read
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, picture-book
A great story! (But I should warn you I'm partial to pig stories...)
Joy
Jul 25, 2007 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sorry, had to add it. This one's for Eva!
Lindsay
pig, flying, unlikely pilot, family
Emese
May 21, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jear
JEAR3-Jes
Duane Stoddard
Duane Stoddard rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
deanndra Ifill
deanndra Ifill marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Kimme Gatlin
Kimme Gatlin rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Samantha Boyd
Samantha Boyd marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016