Start by marking “Tulips and Chimneys” as Want to Read:
Tulips and Chimneys

Tulips and Chimneys

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  959 ratings  ·  41 reviews
In concise format, this is a collection of poems which celebrate the uniqueness of each individual, the need to protest against the dehumanizing force of organizations, and the exuberant power of love.
Published August 17th 1996 by Liveright Publishing Corporation (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about Tulips and Chimneys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tulips and Chimneys

The Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanShakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. EliotAriel by Sylvia Plath
Best Poetry Books
166th out of 1,479 books — 1,613 voters
Donde los árboles cantan by Laura Gallego GarcíaWater for Elephants by Sara GruenThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisTwilight by Stephenie MeyerJuntos by Ally Condie
INTERESTING COVERS!
179th out of 196 books — 121 voters

More lists with this book...

Jamie Grefe
I've had this for ten years and this is the first time I've read it. If only I read this earlier in life . . . The first twenty pages or so are gorgeous, but spent too much time in my head and didn't make it into my guts, while the end, the sonnets, especially those last few, are breathtaking. Literally, I couldn't breathe. Whenever I think I'm pushing the boundaries of the way I use language, I need only to flip open this book for a wallop in the jaws, that says, "nice try, back to the drawing ...more
Emma Stockdale
your little voice
Over the wires came leaping
and i felt suddenly
dizzy
With the jostling and shouting of merry flowers
wee skipping high-heeled flames
courtesied before my eyes
or twinkling over to my side
Looked up
with impertinently exquisite faces
floating hands were laid upon me
I was whirled and tossed into delicious dancing
up
Up
with the pale important
stars and the Humorous
moon
dear girl
How i was crazy how i cried when i heard
over time
and tide and death
leaping
Sweetly
your voice
Joe
I've read parts of this book before, and I thought reading it would be a different (easier) experience. It is much more difficult to get through than I expected. Even though I grew frustrated with some of the repetition, there are so many poems in this collection that I absolutely adore. I respect the hell out of cummings' experimentation even when I grow tired of it. The old cliché "less is more" rings especially true with regards to his experimentation (at least from the approach of reading th ...more
Chris March
It's like gorging on bright blue pastels, and then gargling vanilla vodka and Pop Rocks, while listening to rhythms of an unintelligible reading of the Iliad. Oh, and he likes to objectify women :(
Donovan Richards
Let’s Tear It Down!

Deconstruction is easy. Whenever someone takes a stand, a myriad of critics file out of the woodwork like termites scoping a new meal. Whether it is art, philosophy, theology, political theory, or a position on parenting, the easiest response is a critique—objections to an argument’s premises in order to render the entire idea void.

And Put It Back Together

While I appreciate critical thinking and its ability to sharpen thought, I am inspired by the people who put a stake in the
kate
ee cummings is one of my favourite poets. i love the style of his poems, the games he plays with words and the fact that every time i pick him up the poems are fresh and tripping off the tongue.

this book moves from his early poems through the development of his later style, the subtle sexuality blooming and the breaking down of language to recreate it in a whole new pattern.

the design of the book, (it's oversize, and uses a typewriter style font), frames each poem as it might have originally ap
Jason
I loved this! Cummings has a great sense of ironic humor and a mastery of cadence. Here's my favorite stanza:

Humanity i love you because you
are perpetually putting the secret of
life in your pants and forgetting
it's there and sitting down
on it

J.A.
Mar 08, 2014 J.A. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
This is not my favorite of his collections, but has some of my favorite poems. In just spring- , Buffalo Bill. I'm reading Cummings' work start to finish again, and it's nice to remember where he began, how it looked at the very front. Also, interesting note from this particular reading: the word 'handorgan' appears twice and the word 'annihilation' three times.
Laurie
Humanity i love you
because you would rather black the boots of
success than enquire whose soul dangles from his
watch-chain which would be embarrassing for both

parties and because you
unflinchingly applaud all
songs containing the words country home and
mother when sung at the old howard

Humanity i love you because
when you're hard up you pawn your
intelligence to buy a drink and when
you're flush pride keeps

you from the pawn shops and
because you are continually committing
nuisances but more
especially i
Jenny
I'm a huge fan of EE Cummings and was really excited to finally have the chance to go through a considerable number of his poems in a collection. His style varied greatly from subcollection to subcollection but there was still a sort of signature rhythm that ran through each poem. Although I loved most of his work, I found reading his sonnets rather tedious and put the book down multiple times for varying lengths of boredom during these sections. I guess I'm not a particularly big fan of repetit ...more
Emer Mccarthy
If one must sit in an ICU, this book bring beauty & colour to the day. My only issue is that I must give it back, belongs to the nicest nurse ever. Also called Emer.
Ginnie Grant
I've collected and read volumes upon volumes of poetry over the years. But in both form and content, no one quite writes like cummings
K8
Sep 30, 2014 K8 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry, 2012
Favorites:

in Just- spring when the world is mud

little tree little silent Christmas tree

but the other day i was passing a certain

goodbye Betty,don't remember me

and what were roses. Perfume?for i do

this is the garden:colours come and go,

it is at moments after i have dreamed

it may not always be so;and i say

if i learned darkness from our searched world

who's most afraid of death?thou

a wind has blown the rain away and blown

when my love comes to see me it's

the mind is its own beautiful prisoner.

my love
Wendy Lu
i've got my favorites all copied down :)
Kat
LOVE SPRING AND PROSE
Cami
Easily my favorite collection of e.e. cummings poetry (it's also the largest. A correlation? possibly)
It contains many poems that lean to a more romantic or sensual nature. There are some a-hemthat are better avoided.
Includes favorite of mine:
when god lets my body be
your little voice
over the wires came leaping
SNO
it may not always be so;and i say

Kimberly
My roommate suggested this, and had me start with "La Guerre." I feel so alive when I read it, and question why I don't read more poetry. cummings placement of words on the page, their relationship to one another, only heightens the effect of his imagery. These poems hold a beautiful and tangible sense of longing. Perfect for spring, or anyone who's coping with lost love.
Rachelle Smith
It's not easy to get through but I do not mean that in a negative way. For me it was a challenge, being that his language can be tough to decipher. The first section is very intersting and the book does have a flow, at times it seems to be loose. From what I remember, there was a lot about women, heartbreak, relationships of some sort, and some dark themes.
Katie
Cummings does not disappoint in his usual subject areas. I have always loved his Seasons, and he hits love and passion in this collection with a dose of grit and crudeness that brought humor into his writing.
Heather Gilbert
One of my faves in college...love the way he does whatever he wants w/punctuation and capitalization. Some of the poems are too blasphemous/raunchy for my taste, but the ones that aren't are great.
TeacherMrLoria
O sweet spontenous earth! Such a great poem.
the dress was a suspicious madder, importing the cruely of roses.

"your sex squeaked like a billiard-cue / chalking itself."
Amanda
All time favorite. Heck I even tried to make a silent film out of one of these poems. A must read for anyone who loves to play with language.
Mike Jensen
Early poems by a great poet. Emotionally cold, but intellectually stimulating. Fascinating work. I’m glad I finally got around to cummings.
Corbin
Rather overwhelming concatenation of imagery. Still, who would have thought e. e. cummings would ever write sonnets?
Cindi
cummings is remarkable! An incredible magician with words. This is one of my favorite poetry collections.
Kirk and I both love ee cummings and this book in particular has some lovely lovely poems.
Alexa
Sep 27, 2007 Alexa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
i think i figured out poetry has as much of a backbeat as music does from this man.
viva e.e. !
Eliza
«if i believe
in death be sure
of this
it is

because you have loved me»
Zaiga
I'm not sure why, but his poetry left my head spinning. But in a good way!
Tracie
Jul 21, 2007 Tracie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: linguists
I'm renewing my love for e. e. cummings

My favorite American writer.
  • No Nature: New and Selected Poems
  • Glass, Irony and God
  • Sonnets to Orpheus
  • If Not, Winter: Fragments of Sappho
  • Selected Poems II: 1976 - 1986
Edward Estlin Cummings was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on October 14, 1894. He began writing poems as early as 1904 and studied Latin and Greek at the Cambridge Latin High School.

He received his BA in 1915 and his MA in 1916, both from Harvard University. His studies there introduced him to the poetry of avant-garde writers, such as Gertrude Stein and Ezra Pound.

In 1917, Cummings published a
More about E.E. Cummings...
100 Selected Poems Complete Poems, 1904-1962 Selected Poems 95 Poems The Enormous Room

“in Just-
spring          when the world is mud-
luscious the little
lame balloonman

whistles          far          and wee

and eddieandbill come
running from marbles and
piracies and it's
spring

when the world is puddle-wonderful

the queer
old balloonman whistles
far          and          wee
and bettyandisbel come dancing

from hop-scotch and jump-rope and

it's