Start by marking “AnOther E.E. Cummings” as Want to Read:
AnOther E.E. Cummings

AnOther E.E. Cummings

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  409 ratings  ·  17 reviews
As a poet, Cummings was a pioneer not only in linguistic and typographic inventions, but also in sound and concrete poetry. But his prose is no less experimental; he wrote memoirs, essays, and fiction that are constantly provocative and often radically experimental. To read the avant-garde Cummings is to read a writer who consistently broke with established norms, "never t ...more
Published December 17th 1999 by Liveright (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about AnOther E.E. Cummings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about AnOther E.E. Cummings

Née
I'm not going to review all of the e.e. cummings collections that I own (there are way too many as I have this thing about collecting them). What I will say is that cummings has this totally selfish/creative/lovely/beautiful/erotic way of writing that just gets me every time. There is rarely a poem of his that I've read that I don't like. He's modern and writes very much that way, and I love his playful use of punctuality and grammar as a means of conveying his emotions. If you've never read cum ...more
Teanna
What I love about ee cummings is that heisdiff:errrrent. He doesn't pay attention to capitilization, punctuation, or grammar rules. He strings words together beautifully and stirs up emotions you never knew you had. ee cummings seriously makes me smile. His poetry and prose is like a decoding a secret language, and you have to analyze every line. You can't skim his work so maybe that's the point, maybe he wants you to feel his words, not to read them. Well, ee, it works for me.
Ronald Barba
A great and unique collection with pieces that I haven't seen anywhere else. It highlights a lot of his recondite works that deviate far outside the traditional standards fitting of his contemporaries (indeed even to that of today's modern poets) - some seriously strange/chaotic structures even for Cummings. Loved the section on his condensed prose and elliptical narratives.
Stephanie
I appreciate what Cummings did with language, but I can't see myself going back to these over and over like I do with his "since feeling is first". Nothing really spoke to the heart of me, just to aesthetic pleasure, so it's not a 5 star book for me.
I really appreciate that the editors included such a wide-range of Cummings' writing (including translations, book chapters, prose, etc.) I enjoyed his poetry and feel like I know him better as a whole-artist for the wide range introduced in the book.
Paula Urdaneta
Cummings cambio mi modo de concebir la poesía y me ha inspirado a probar nuevas formas y a salirme de los tradicionalismos. Creo que es una lectura que deberíamos hacer todos.

Cummings changed my way of thinking about poetry and has inspired me to get out and try new things. I think everyone should read it.
Alex Larrison
This is such a cool, unique, collection of the lesser known cummings poems. The pages of analysis and biography are very useful and well-written, definitely worth the read for anyone with interest in cummings' life and work.
I have a rat named after this man. Is that okay?

His poetry n' prose makes me want to put thoughts on paper without obsessing over the process. m a a a y b e hewillevenhelpme lose my addiction to correct grammar and format.
LooseLips
Feb 24, 2008 LooseLips rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: poets. non poets. flower buyers.
Shelves: poetry
cummings just makes me happy. even if it is sad happy. and he makes me want to be the kind of person who notices ants and red specks in the carpet. and who buys flowers for herself just because they look nice in kitchenlight.
Corinne Wahlberg
Jun 23, 2007 Corinne Wahlberg rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of language
Shelves: poetry
I heart e. e.

I can recite "love is more thicker than forget" by heart. this is a great collection. great erotic poetry.
Stephanie Brooks
The categories/chapters are great: language poems, Erotic Poetry, Film Scenario, Language experiments, etc.
Amanda
Great compilation with a variety of Cummings's works put together!
Garrett Bryant
Landa
Landa added it
May 17, 2015
Nurai
Nurai marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Erin Speese
Erin Speese marked it as to-read
Lauren
Lauren added it
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Babatunde Okunowo
Babatunde Okunowo marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Cassidy
Cassidy marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
  • City Poet: The Life and Times of Frank O'Hara
  • Great American Prose Poems: From Poe to the Present
  • Selected Poems
  • Door in the Mountain: New and Collected Poems, 1965-2003
Edward Estlin Cummings was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on October 14, 1894. He began writing poems as early as 1904 and studied Latin and Greek at the Cambridge Latin High School.

He received his BA in 1915 and his MA in 1916, both from Harvard University. His studies there introduced him to the poetry of avant-garde writers, such as Gertrude Stein and Ezra Pound.

In 1917, Cummings published a
More about E.E. Cummings...
100 Selected Poems Complete Poems, 1904-1962 Selected Poems 95 Poems Tulips and Chimneys

“Laughing is just another way of showing people your wise” 84 likes
“guilt is the cause of more marauders
than history's most obscene disauders”
9 likes