Start by marking “AnOther E.E. Cummings” as Want to Read:
AnOther E.E. Cummings

AnOther E.E. Cummings

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  434 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
As a poet, Cummings was a pioneer not only in linguistic and typographic inventions, but also in sound and concrete poetry. But his prose is no less experimental; he wrote memoirs, essays, and fiction that are constantly provocative and often radically experimental. To read the avant-garde Cummings is to read a writer who consistently broke with established norms, "never t ...more
Published December 17th 1999 by Liveright (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about AnOther E.E. Cummings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about AnOther E.E. Cummings

Née
Jan 21, 2011 Née rated it it was amazing
I'm not going to review all of the e.e. cummings collections that I own (there are way too many as I have this thing about collecting them). What I will say is that cummings has this totally selfish/creative/lovely/beautiful/erotic way of writing that just gets me every time. There is rarely a poem of his that I've read that I don't like. He's modern and writes very much that way, and I love his playful use of punctuality and grammar as a means of conveying his emotions. If you've never read cum ...more
Teanna
Apr 13, 2009 Teanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
What I love about ee cummings is that heisdiff:errrrent. He doesn't pay attention to capitilization, punctuation, or grammar rules. He strings words together beautifully and stirs up emotions you never knew you had. ee cummings seriously makes me smile. His poetry and prose is like a decoding a secret language, and you have to analyze every line. You can't skim his work so maybe that's the point, maybe he wants you to feel his words, not to read them. Well, ee, it works for me.
Ronald Barba
Jan 09, 2015 Ronald Barba rated it it was amazing
A great and unique collection with pieces that I haven't seen anywhere else. It highlights a lot of his recondite works that deviate far outside the traditional standards fitting of his contemporaries (indeed even to that of today's modern poets) - some seriously strange/chaotic structures even for Cummings. Loved the section on his condensed prose and elliptical narratives.
Stephanie
I appreciate what Cummings did with language, but I can't see myself going back to these over and over like I do with his "since feeling is first". Nothing really spoke to the heart of me, just to aesthetic pleasure, so it's not a 5 star book for me.
Dec 24, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
I really appreciate that the editors included such a wide-range of Cummings' writing (including translations, book chapters, prose, etc.) I enjoyed his poetry and feel like I know him better as a whole-artist for the wide range introduced in the book.
Paula Urdaneta
Aug 28, 2012 Paula Urdaneta rated it really liked it
Cummings cambio mi modo de concebir la poesía y me ha inspirado a probar nuevas formas y a salirme de los tradicionalismos. Creo que es una lectura que deberíamos hacer todos.

Cummings changed my way of thinking about poetry and has inspired me to get out and try new things. I think everyone should read it.
Alex Larrison
Nov 14, 2012 Alex Larrison rated it really liked it
This is such a cool, unique, collection of the lesser known cummings poems. The pages of analysis and biography are very useful and well-written, definitely worth the read for anyone with interest in cummings' life and work.
Jul 10, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I have a rat named after this man. Is that okay?

His poetry n' prose makes me want to put thoughts on paper without obsessing over the process. m a a a y b e hewillevenhelpme lose my addiction to correct grammar and format.
LooseLips
Feb 24, 2008 LooseLips rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: poets. non poets. flower buyers.
Shelves: poetry
cummings just makes me happy. even if it is sad happy. and he makes me want to be the kind of person who notices ants and red specks in the carpet. and who buys flowers for herself just because they look nice in kitchenlight.
Corinne Wahlberg
Jun 23, 2007 Corinne Wahlberg rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of language
I heart e. e.

I can recite "love is more thicker than forget" by heart. this is a great collection. great erotic poetry.
Stephanie Brooks
The categories/chapters are great: language poems, Erotic Poetry, Film Scenario, Language experiments, etc.
Amanda
Dec 29, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Great compilation with a variety of Cummings's works put together!
Garrett Bryant
Bobby McKenna
Jul 21, 2009 Bobby McKenna rated it it was amazing
applaws)
luna
luna marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Geraldine Kimaro
Geraldine Kimaro marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Jonquil
Jonquil rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Mayra Gutierrez
Mayra Gutierrez marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Su
Su rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Lucian Brad
Lucian Brad marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Juzel
Juzel marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Jordan Welch
Jordan Welch marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Michael Liu
Michael Liu marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Lars
Lars added it
Mar 24, 2016
Inta
Inta marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
  • Selected Poems of Robert Creeley
  • The Lost Pilot
  • Questions About Angels
  • The Light the Dead See: Selected Poems
  • Five Decades: Poems 1925-1970 (Neruda, Pablo) (English and Spanish Edition)
  • City Poet: The Life and Times of Frank O'Hara
  • The Last Avant-Garde: The Making of the New York School of Poets
Edward Estlin Cummings was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on October 14, 1894. He began writing poems as early as 1904 and studied Latin and Greek at the Cambridge Latin High School.

He received his BA in 1915 and his MA in 1916, both from Harvard University. His studies there introduced him to the poetry of avant-garde writers, such as Gertrude Stein and Ezra Pound.

In 1917, Cummings published a
More about E.E. Cummings...

“Laughing is just another way of showing people your wise” 93 likes
“guilt is the cause of more marauders
than history's most obscene disauders”
9 likes