Start by marking “Night Over Day Over Night” as Want to Read:
Night Over Day Over Night

Night Over Day Over Night

As Sebastian Westland journeys from childhood to the bloody proving ground of men, he loses everything by which he knows himself: his past, his innocence, finally his name. His struggle to survive a war he scarcely comprehends is rendered in the urgent, beautifully spare, memorable prose of a born storyteller.
Published June 15th 1997 by Picador (first published March 12th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Night Over Day Over Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Over Day Over Night

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakCatch-22 by Joseph HellerSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.Atonement by Ian McEwanThe Winds of War by Herman Wouk
World War II Fiction
810 books — 1,409 voters
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueCatch-22 by Joseph HellerSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.The Things They Carried by Tim O'BrienThe Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
Best War Novels
797 books — 799 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy
Wow. Quite blown away by the end of this one. Yes, it's a war story, told from the point of view of a 17 year old German who ends up in the Waffen SS in 1944. Remember that for later.

The first thing that got me was the opening. Coincidentally, I started this immediately after finishing Nick Arvin's Articles of War (I'm on a war novel kick at the moment...don't ask). One of my peeves with Articles was the overly sentimental love story between the 17 year old protagonist and a pretty French girl.
Daniel
Feb 07, 2008 Daniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
I have greatly enjoyed the works of Paul Watkins that I've come upon, and looked forward to reaching back and checking out this, his first novel -- the novel which brought him some acclaim.

Fortunately this was not my first venture into the works of Paul Watkins or I likely never would have read more.

In the previous books of Paul Watkins that I've come across, his protagonists are all of the same ilk, rather dry, melancholic sorts, but they've all had goals ... something to strive for or somethi
Larry
Jul 21, 2015 Larry rated it liked it
World War 2 as seen from the perspective of a young German SS enlistee, Sebastian Westland. He comes of age just in time to participate in the final assault known as The Battle of the Bulge. His experiences are told in a matter-of-fact style. Through the brutal weeks of training camp and the horrific events of battle, Watkins gives very little emotional depth to our main character, Sebastian. Plenty of excellent gritty detail throughout, but not much feeling.
Friends are killed, no comment.
Take
'Lana
Mar 28, 2012 'Lana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Loved this book from the moment I unearthed it. It was dark (as the genre suggests) but had an unmistakle humane side to dealing with WWII from a perspective we don't normally see. Had me laughing and crying in quick succession. A wonderful story and a joy to read.
Peter
Sep 09, 2010 Peter rated it it was amazing
Probably the best WWII fiction book I have ever read. Told from the perspective of a young German who has no choice but too enlist late in the war when it is already almost over. It manages to humanize a Nazi SS man. Read it and you will see what I mean. A non stop Action Cabaret.
Michael
Jul 25, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing
Humane yet unflinching in its handling of the moral ambiguity of war, this fictional account of a young SS soldier's experiences at the close of WWII is mesmerising. One of the few works of fiction to make an indelible mark on me.
Shannon Cole
Dec 23, 2015 Shannon Cole rated it it was amazing
Superbly written- great story of a surreal experience that many went through
Sean Chick
Aug 12, 2011 Sean Chick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Among the most unusual war novels I've read, full of nuance and in the end a sense of horror. Seemed like a darker version of "Platoon."
Gregory Lamb
Feb 16, 2011 Gregory Lamb rated it really liked it
I have read almost all of Paul's novels. This one stands out among them all as the most creative. The mood and dialog are superb and the historical aspect of the story is intriguing.
David
Feb 26, 2015 David rated it really liked it
A really wonderful view of the end of the war from a young German soldier's perspective. I've give it 4.5 if I could.
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2008
Catherine Eckel
Catherine Eckel rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2009
Julie Glanville
Julie Glanville rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2012
Scott Lasser
Scott Lasser rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2009
Art
Art rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2011
Darianna
Darianna rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2012
Steve Gardner
Steve Gardner rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2010
Rob
Rob rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2015
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Rodrigo Suhr
Rodrigo Suhr rated it it was ok
May 11, 2017
Frances C Lavelle
Frances C Lavelle rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Carlo Ruggiero
Carlo Ruggiero rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2013
Ernest Brawley
Ernest Brawley rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2008
Stuart Campbell
Stuart Campbell rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2011
Willie Boumans
Willie Boumans rated it really liked it
May 14, 2017
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
Patrick Dobson
Patrick Dobson rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2013
MotorCityMomma
MotorCityMomma rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Midnight Clear
  • A Perfect Waiter
  • The 23rd Psalm: A Holocaust Memoir
  • The Labyrinth: Memoirs Of Walter Schellenberg, Hitler's Chief Of Counterintelligence
  • The White Rabbit: The Secret Agent the Gestapo Could Not Crack
  • Ester and Ruzya: How My Grandmothers Survived Hitler's War and Stalin's Peace
  • The Company of Strangers
  • Take Three Tenses: A Fugue in Time
  • The Widows' Adventures
Paul Watkins is an American author who currently lives with his wife and two children in Hightstown, New Jersey. He is a teacher and writer-in-residence at The Peddie School, and formerly taught at Lawrenceville School. He attended the Dragon School, Oxford, Eton and Yale University. He received a B.A. from Yale and was a University Fellow at Syracuse University, New York. His recollections of his ...more
More about Paul Watkins...